Sign in to follow this  
ben_645

What was the first Norwich match you went to see?

On TV first full game I watch 89/90 season Norwich-Man Utd 2-0.

Robert Fleck score both goals and was rocking atmosphere !

Then 1st game on stadium was away at West Ham 1-1 .Peter Crouch score for us...

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I didn't go to that game SOB. I guess because it was midweek? But I do remember around that time if we got knocked out of the cup in round three we'd get a friendly on 4th round day against a first division team who'd also been knocked out. Not sure of the year but we played Forest and Ian Storey-Moore was an exciting player that we got to see.

I love these threads 🙃👍

Yes I think it was a midweek game, looking at the link you provided the game was actually the day before my 8th birthday so maybe an early birthday present.........

Vs Southampton in 1990. Norwich won 3-1 with Neil Ruddock scoring an own goal. 

Remember turning up on the day and paying on the turnstile to sit in the South Stand - none of this £50 membership malarkey! 

• Haha 1

1973 League Cup Final, Wembley.

lost 1-0 sadly

teams at 2mins on youtube - Peters was playing for Spurs. My favourites were the legends Paddon, Keelan, Stringer.  Their damned sub scored their winner.

Edited by damn that Ralph Coates!
teams

Norwich 1 Tottenham 2 in April 1994, Sutton scored for us,  then Colin Woodthorpe put through his own net a little while later.. I remember the game more for the crazy weather, it was like all four seasons in one match!

Derby at home April 1969 - lost 4 - 1; cannot remember any of it at 4.6 yrs old. But didn’t miss a home game for the next 14 yrs!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

1973 League Cup Final, Wembley.

lost 1-0 sadly

teams at 2mins on youtube - Peters was playing for Spurs. My favourites were the legends Paddon, Keelan, Stringer.  Their damned sub scored their winner.

Ralph Coates was playing for the England League XI in the game referred to above........

April 1995 at Filbert Street. Lost 1 nil. I don’t remember much about it other than it was midweek. Leicester has Robins and Roberts playing for them then.

The following season I had my first trip to Carrow Rd on my birthday for a Friday night game against Ipswich. A 3-1 win and a much more memorable experience.

6 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

Derby at home April 1969 - lost 4 - 1; cannot remember any of it at 4.6 yrs old. But didn’t miss a home game for the next 14 yrs!!!

Until the modern era of mega-money and overseas stars (yes, there really was such a time...) that was the greatest performance I can remember seeing from an away team at Carrow Road.

Derby had McParland, Mackay, Alan Durban, John McGovern, Willie Carlin, Frank Wignall, Hinton, and Kevin Hector, whom we had tried to sign from Bradford Park Avenue.

They were way too good for us, went up as champions seven points clear (in the era of two for a win) and finished fourth in the First Division the next season and won the title two seasons later..

1974 Arsenal at home, FA Cup , lost 1-0. The only other thing I can remember is Alan Ball running round and me thinking "We don't get many gingers round here"  🙂

Edited by Crabbycanary3

My first game was in October 1965 against Wolves. We lost 3-0 and if  I remember correctly the scorers were Wharton, Hunt and Wagstaff. My dad took me on the Eastern Counties bus as we didn't have a car

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Until the modern era of mega-money and overseas stars (yes, there really was such a time...) that was the greatest performance I can remember seeing from an away team at Carrow Road.

Derby had McParland, Mackay, Alan Durban, John McGovern, Willie Carlin, Frank Wignall, Hinton, and Kevin Hector, whom we had tried to sign from Bradford Park Avenue.

They were way too good for us, went up as champions seven points clear (in the era of two for a win) and finished fourth in the First Division the next season and won the title two seasons later..

Not trying to top you Purple, just adding to the nostalgia and although memory plays tricks I think we saw Kevin Hector with Derby at the Carra for the first time under Clough a couple of seasons earlier in a 1-1 draw.

Hector was some player, who signed before Cloughie switched from Hartlepool, but it was him and Peter Taylor who brought the best out of him, yet walking away that day quite a few of us thought we might have dodged a bullet.

He tried stuff which often didn’t work, like a powerful downward header back across the goalmouth from close in when everyone, including his own teammates, expected a header on goal at the River End so that nothing came of it. But he seemed completely unfazed by that and there were other bits and pieces around the pitch which nearly came off and it was only looking back later that I think we realised we had been privileged to see the start of something special.

Hell, I love football, can get as much pleasure out of looking back as out of seeing our brilliant squad today – well almost as much! 🤩

• Like 2

The only good thing about that  season was we beat Ipswich 4-2 away in the League Cup. Started the season with an away win then lost 2-0 at home midweek to Boro who only had nine men on the pitch after two sendings off.
The Derby match was a terrific game as you say and I remember pundits going on about Willie Carlin but until I saw him I didn't realise how good he was
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

I'm pretty sure that was my first evening game. I remember that our players gave theirs a guard of honour when the teams came out. They were awesome🙃

Has somebody been in my house??? This has been in my attic for 24 years and I got it down last week ...

Ticket.jpg

Edited by scoop
  • Like 1