Sign in to follow this  
ben_645

What was the first Norwich match you went to see?

Can't remember, it was that long ago. I think Churchill was still Prime Minister.

I do recall that we were playing in black shorts and tbe ball still had laces.

However the crossbar had replaced the rope and goalkeepers had to bounce the ball every four steps.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First was Charlton away in August 1968, lost 2-1, remember sitting on the giant standing terrace and H.Curran scoring a goal,first home was Villa which we won 3-1 with K.Foggo on the score sheet was behind the goal in the river end, think it was the following season.

As far as I can remember I think my first game was to see them play Charlton at The Valley in the 90s. I believe it ended as a 4-4 draw

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Not surprised we beat Stoke that convincingly if they had a 48 year old playing for them 😂

He played for Stoke until 1965.

Sept 1972, went in an arsenal fan as I idolised Charlie George,  came out a Norwich fan after a fantastic 3-2 win. Funnily enough I met Charlie George  a few years back when I won a competition on the radio over here . flights,  hotel ,limo transfers,  2x match tickets  and transfers,  VIP  Lounge including lunch at the Emirates, meet and greet with charlie George. Lots of free booze, at match, hotel and restaurant.  I only entered as it was an easy question and the tickets were for norwich arsenal ,, the one we lost when Jack Wilshire scored that goal of the season . CG was very polite when I told him he was my hero when I was 10......until i watched city beat arsenal. Not bad for the price of a text. 

October 1975,home against Birmingham. I was 11 , had wanted to go for ages ,and this was my brother's birthday treat and his first game as well. City won one nil with a goal from Phil Boyer. We sat in the old main stand and were overwhelmed by the colour, noise and passion of the occasion.

March 15th 1986 against Carlisle in the old Second Division, we won 2-1. First one I remember vividly was on February 14th 1987 (my 7th birthday present!), a 1-1 draw at home to Man City.

Norwich 4-2 QPR ( 22 Oct 1994)

1-0 at half time, bit of a drab game, slightly disappointed little boy on his big day. Exploded into life with 4 goals in 16 minutes. Very happy little boy  🙂  Mark Robins signed my programme

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

3 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

I first went in December 1994, we beat Chelsea 3-0, Ashley Ward scored twice and it was also Jamie Cureton's first goal for us, but I remember absolutely nothing about the game.

A couple of games after this Gunny broke his ankle at Nottingham Forest and that was that.

Yep Ashley Ward with a brace on his debut.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

My first game was the Derby at CR in the 1972-3 season after promotion to the then First Division. It ended 0-0 but I was hooked. I can remember Jimmy Bone up front and Colin Suggett in midfield. Big Dunc and Dave Stringer were the heart of the defence in front of Kevin Keelan. I went to most of the home matches after that and became a regular from then on.

Your memory deceives you. Suggett didn't join us till 4 months after that game 

First Norwich game was also my first ever game, and (obviously) my first derby - Ipswich v Norwich, Easter 1978, we lost 4-0.  I wasn’t really a fan of anyone at the time (Liverpool, if anyone, as they were on tv all the time), and with Ipswich supporting relatives so in their end and as an 8 year-old could barely see a thing (which was probably for the best!).

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sept 1972, went in an arsenal fan as I idolised Charlie George,  came out a Norwich fan after a fantastic 3-2 win. Funnily enough I met Charlie George  a few years back when I won a competition on the radio over here . flights,  hotel ,limo transfers,  2x match tickets  and transfers,  VIP  Lounge including lunch at the Emirates, meet and greet with charlie George. Lots of free booze, at match, hotel and restaurant.  I only entered as it was an easy question and the tickets were for norwich arsenal ,, the one we lost when Jack Wilshire scored that goal of the season . CG was very polite when I told him he was my hero when I was 10......until i watched city beat arsenal. Not bad for the price of a text. 

I remember that game. Cross with a header was one of our goals. Alan Ball claimed afterwards that since two of our goals (I think he meant the other two) came from defensive mistakes the true score was 2-1 to the Arsenal! Classic footballer’s logic...

Failing to acknowledge that since both the Arsenal goals came from equally bad defensive mistakes (which is actually how many goals happen) the true score was 1-0 to us!

I  forget the name but one of the Arsenal scorers, a tough midfielder, later ended up in jail for some criminal activity.

Peter Storey,, of course.

Edited by PurpleCanary

13 September 1947. Ipswich at home - lost 1-5. Attendance 23,374. Finished season one from bottom in Div 3 South. I believe we had to apply for re-election in those days. Shortly after this game we signed the legendary goalkeeper Ken Nethercott. And some of the most entertaining football we have ever played - last season.

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

My first game at Carrow Rd was a League of England v League of Ireland game in Sept. 1970. First City game was the next home game a 0-2 loss to Hull. If I remember correctly it was about 4 or 5 games before I got to see us win.

That was my first game at Carrow Rd as well, I seem to remember that Jeff Astle played and scored, I also remember Ian Storey-Moore and Peter Shilton played for the League of England. My first home game was a 2-2 draw with Bristol City in 1972......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

That was my first game at Carrow Rd as well, I seem to remember that Jeff Astle played and scored, I also remember Ian Storey-Moore and Peter Shilton played for the League of England. My first home game was a 2-2 draw with Bristol City in 1972......

And Martin Peters SOB...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/football-league-v-irish-league-23-september-1970-248115/

20,743 not too shabby for a first game but mine was double that against Sheffield Wednesday in 1967.🙃

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

And Martin Peters SOB...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/football-league-v-irish-league-23-september-1970-248115/

20,743 not too shabby for a first game but mine was double that against Sheffield Wednesday in 1967.🙃

Thats for that Nutty, quite a few well known names in the England eleven, not sure I have heard of any of the Irish eleven. I was nearly 8 years old when my Dad took me to that game, he carried me on his shoulders when we walked home after the game and i vividly remember being gobsmacked at all the people as we walked up Carrow Road.......

3 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Thats for that Nutty, quite a few well known names in the England eleven, not sure I have heard of any of the Irish eleven. I was nearly 8 years old when my Dad took me to that game, he carried me on his shoulders when we walked home after the game and i vividly remember being gobsmacked at all the people as we walked up Carrow Road.......

I didn't go to that game SOB. I guess because it was midweek? But I do remember around that time if we got knocked out of the cup in round three we'd get a friendly on 4th round day against a first division team who'd also been knocked out. Not sure of the year but we played Forest and Ian Storey-Moore was an exciting player that we got to see.

I love these threads 🙃👍

Nutty can probably expand further but pretty sure mine was against West Ham. Would have been 83 or 84 I guess. Thought it was a 0-0 but that doesn’t seem to fit with the results I’ve just looked up. First “away” was Wembley in 85 but first proper away was Chelsea away on the opening day of the season. That was definitely 0-0 but Nutty did climb the 300 or whatever steps to climb the London Monument. Thank Christ he hasn’t suggested a repeat...if he tried it now we’d not only miss the game but probably be midway through the following season before he got down again. 

November 6th 1971. Hull City away and we won 2-1. Remember standing on my upturned wood box with my rattle in hand. Happy days.

Early 1960's with my dad at Kenilworth Road, Luton, we lost 2-1 the following year went back and Ron Davies scored four against us as we lost 4-2. Days later we signed Davies, one the of the very best centre forwards in his day.

Saturday 22nd October 1994 

Norwich 4 - 2 QPR

Goals from Bowen, Robins, Sheron and an own goal apparently.

I went as part of a school trip with St. Williams Primary and remember the elation of winning. Can’t say I remember much of the action itself though! Despite a father that supported Man Utd (even bought me a united lunchbox!) and most classmates supporting more glamorous teams I couldn’t help, but love Norwich right from the beginning. It was my city, so it was my team :) 

• Like 1

August 1957 and I was 9, City 3 Palace 2. Half time 0-0 then City in front, Palace scored twice to take the lead then 2 more for City to win the game! Johnny Gavin scored two of the City goals. Last season of the old 3rd division south. The year before we finished bottom and had to be re-elected (a formality back then). Blanket collections at half time to save the club.

Pretty sure it was Barry Butler’s debut and might have been Archie Macauley’s first game in charge (where’s Ricardo when you need him?). I think it cost 9 old pence for kids and 2 bob for adults.

7 hours ago, Juggler said:

August 1957 and I was 9, City 3 Palace 2. Half time 0-0 then City in front, Palace scored twice to take the lead then 2 more for City to win the game! Johnny Gavin scored two of the City goals. Last season of the old 3rd division south. The year before we finished bottom and had to be re-elected (a formality back then). Blanket collections at half time to save the club.

Pretty sure it was Barry Butler’s debut and might have been Archie Macauley’s first game in charge (where’s Ricardo when you need him?). I think it cost 9 old pence for kids and 2 bob for adults.

Game was played on 24 August 1957. It was Barry Butler's debut - certainly one of the finest players in a Canary shirt. Gavin 2 and Peter Gordon. Archie Macauley was appointed on 15/4/57 so probably was in charge of the last five games of that season when we finished bottom and had to apply for re-election. I do not possess a fantastic memory, its all in the book with a mass of records and info called Canary Citizens.