Sign in to follow this  
ben_645

What was the first Norwich match you went to see?

Just for general interest - What was the first Norwich match you went to see?

I first saw Norwich right in the early parts of the 92-93 season away at Man City. Living in Manchester at the time, I sat with the home supporters with my dad as someone we knew lent us their season tickets. I believe Norwich lost 3 - 1.

I knew little about football before that match and have supported Norwich ever since.

Thanks to a reminder from Indy it was a Luton game in the early 80s, a 2-2 draw in a truly awful stadium. A birthday treat looking back at the date. Can't really remember much of the game other than Chris Woods was in goal.

First home game was a loss against the binners in 85. My brother joyfully pointed out we were terrible.

Millwall 1 Norwich 1 towards the end of 74/75 saw Geoff Butler's only goal for Norwich. Right at the end and he didn't know how to celebrate. 

We went up that year, finished 3rd behind Man U and Villa, we were League Cup finalists that year too, losing to Villa. 

Boyer, Suggett, Big Dunc all under John Bond, had a great day and got chased home, never wore a scarf to an away game again. 

My first game was the Derby at CR in the 1972-3 season after promotion to the then First Division. It ended 0-0 but I was hooked. I can remember Jimmy Bone up front and Colin Suggett in midfield. Big Dunc and Dave Stringer were the heart of the defence in front of Kevin Keelan. I went to most of the home matches after that and became a regular from then on.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

I just had to Google to find out the date, but it was August 1992 versus Everton, sat in the old South Stand. I only really went because a family friend was mascot.

It wasn't a great game and when Everton went ahead I started moaning to my Dad saying it was rubbish and that I wanted to go home. However, after we equalised I went mad and my Dad turned to me and said, "Do you still want to go home?" to which I gave a resounding "No" in response.

My first game was at home to Derby County, 22nd September 1990.  We won 2-1, but my only real memory from that day was Peter Shilton making a cracking save. 

As fate would have it this weekend is likely to be my son's first trip to Carrow Road for a match, a few months before his 5th birthday.

Nil nil draw at home to Sheffield Wednesday in 1970. I was 12 at the time and sneaked off to the game with my friend who was 11. Never told my parents who would never had let me go. They thought we were playing football on the park all that while. God knows how we got away with it. 🙂 

Not sure of the date- 1-1 draw with Barnsley. There was some controversy when a goal was disallowed because the referee had blown for a foul on Eadie (I think) instead of playing advantage.

Home to Nottingham Forest in 1986 , boxing day , we won 2-1 ! What an experience that was...a birthday present I will never forget!

7th May 1994, I was 6. Norwich 1-1 Oldham. Rob Ullathorne with the equaliser. It was the last game of the 93/94 season. Things went down hill quite quickly after that.

9th March 1963 Norwich City 6 Stoke 0 and Stanley Matthews was playing. Four days later on 13th March i was there again and we beat Newcastle 5-0 in an FA Cup replay so all in all not a bad baptism.

• Like 2

My first game at Carrow Rd was a League of England v League of Ireland game in Sept. 1970. First City game was the next home game a 0-2 loss to Hull. If I remember correctly it was about 4 or 5 games before I got to see us win.

Norwich v Bury, 21.01.67, we won 2-0 with Bolland and Curran scoring, it was a birthday treat and and I was initially underwhelmed with my "treat" as I thought we were going to play Bury St.Edmunds as I'd never heard of Bury Town in the north. (I hope they survive!!)

9th March 1963 Norwich City 6 Stoke 0 and Stanley Matthews was playing. Four days later on 13th March i was there again and we beat Newcastle 5-0 in an FA Cup replay so all in all not a bad baptism.

There for those Til. I think Stoke had just signed Jimmy McIroy as well. Just remember the sand covered pitch suited us rather than the opposition.

I'm sure I must have gone before but the first game I remember was the semi final of the Milk Cup 1985, I was 12 and in the Barclay and just remember absolute chaos when Bruce scored. 

I have vague recollections of watching Mick Channon at Carrow Road so guessing I probably saw other games that season. 

1 hour ago, Willmeister said:

7th May 1994, I was 6. Norwich 1-1 Oldham. Rob Ullathorne with the equaliser. It was the last game of the 93/94 season. Things went down hill quite quickly after that.

I remember that game, it relegated Oldham and there was a bit of trouble on the way up to Carrow Bridge after the match. I remember a bloke being thrown over the bonnet of a car that had stupidly attempted to make its way down past the ground before the days of closing the roads.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not surprised we beat Stoke that convincingly if they had a 48 year old playing for them 😂

Mid 70s,  Norwich 2 Rochdale 1 in the cup, had to google it to see it was January 1976 in the FA cup, must have been kids for a quid!😮.

I first went in December 1994, we beat Chelsea 3-0, Ashley Ward scored twice and it was also Jamie Cureton's first goal for us, but I remember absolutely nothing about the game.

A couple of games after this Gunny broke his ankle at Nottingham Forest and that was that.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Thanks to a reminder from Indy it was a Luton game in the early 80s, a 2-2 draw in a truly awful stadium.

It hasn't got any better!

• Haha 1

February 22nd 1994, 2-2 against Blackburn on a freezing Tuesday night. They had to switch to an orange ball after about 10 minutes cos there was so much snow about the ref couldn't see it properly. Chris Sutton scored. 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Norwich 4 - 0 Grimsby in 2002. Two goals each for Phil Mulryne and Paul McVeigh.

That was my sons first game.

mine was 1968, v QPR

• Like 1