Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

West Ham tickets

I deplore the “I a more loyal than you” debate. Surely all fans are loyal but support in different ways. However for good or bad in a money dominated business those that expend more cash following the team should be rewarded in any allocation of tickets. I suppose you could call that a type of loyalty card.

On 14/08/2019 at 10:21, Well b back said:

In a normal world Trading Standards would now have a pile of complaints on their desk and would be carrying out an investigation, there would also probably be letters to that BBC programme. However we love our club and that’s the reason this is not happening. Just as a warning though Mr Ben someone will snap eventually and report the club or indeed trading standards will pick up on social media. It is illegal in this country to charge somebody to buy something they can’t have due to over subscription.

My point exactly WBB when I mentioned Trading Standards. as you state, many supporters for their love of NCFC won’t make any fuss, but what city have done is illegal, and I don’t think many people realised that. If TS do pick up on it through media, then the club will have to answer and reason their arguments their wayis the best way forward, because many charged £50 and the majority of those who took up the £35 option, will never get tickets because of gross misselling of away memberships.

Just now, City 2nd said:

My point exactly WBB when I mentioned Trading Standards. as you state, many supporters for their love of NCFC won’t make any fuss, but what city have done is illegal, and I don’t think many people realised that. If TS do pick up on it through media, then the club will have to answer and reason their arguments their wayis the best way forward, because many charged £50 and the majority of those who took up the £35 option, will never get tickets because of gross misselling of away memberships.

I understand people are pissed off about the membership debacle, but, how is it illegal? They have clearly defined what the priority in buying the tickets would be and it is in their gift how they choose to allocate the tickets. It is highly unlikely at the moment, but, in theory the priority members may not buy all of the tickets on day one and so normal members would get priority over Joe public, ncfc can't predict how many people will actually take up their option to purchase the tickets in their window.

On 14/08/2019 at 10:47, capricorn1 said:

They must have known this when buying the membership though?  All of the future ticket sale dates are online. That would be an issue even under a points system for popular fixtures.

I think the word “priority” is more the issue compared to ‘loyalty’.  How can you sell 7000 priority memberships at £50 knowing you get in the main 3000 away match tickets. You simply cannot prioritise with those numbers, let alone in adding those £35 memberships, and just how many of those were sold? 

And wasn’t it the club who brought in the ‘priority’ windows?

As to the law, it’s consumer protection, that’s what Trading Standards  are for. They don’t make the laws, they just uphold them,  to protect consumers.

And I think those that bring it up on here are right. How can you charge someone for a ‘priority’ to obtain  goods, which in essence you cannot supply due to gross over subscription, whether you are a self funding business, have owners, or shareholders to answer too. It is not allowed for good reason.

I don’t know whether the sale of a membership with a right to try and buy tickets comes under the headline of goods or services or something else but if the former then my understanding is the key question is whether the product is of “satisfactory quality, fit for purpose as described” and the latter it’s whether the provider has acted with “reasonable skill and care.”

28 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I understand people are pissed off about the membership debacle, but, how is it illegal? They have clearly defined what the priority in buying the tickets would be and it is in their gift how they choose to allocate the tickets. It is highly unlikely at the moment, but, in theory the priority members may not buy all of the tickets on day one and so normal members would get priority over Joe public, ncfc can't predict how many people will actually take up their option to purchase the tickets in their window.

This is what the club said. With hind sight do you think this is misleading ?

Why have you introduced an away membership?

Our away support is incredible. Last season, Rotherham sold out within hours of going on general sale and we sold over 5,000 tickets to Wigan, despite a 5am departure on a Sunday morning from Carrow Road.

From next season, we will replace the away points system with a tiered membership for travelling supporters. This is a fair and simple way for all fans to secure their away tickets for the upcoming season.

Remembering my son was tier 2 under the old system and the words in their statement ‘ fair and simple ‘ do you think this is misleading ?. You cannot mislead or make false statements to consumers. I am sure the club checked their legal position first. This clarification by the club mentions nothing about the lottery we are paying them to put us in.

On reflection though I’m not sure if the above would be applicable. Perhaps it’s more a consumer protection issue and whether the refusal to disclose the numbers of memberships they were prepared to sell was misleading in the sense it prompted purchasers to act in a different way than they would have done had the material facts. 

I think suggesting it is illeagal is stretching it a bit.

I do think though that if a company such as ticket master was found to have sold 'priority access' to Ed Sheerhan concerts to 10,000 people when there were only 8,000 tickets it would attract some attention from the 'consumer rights' part of the media for being ****ty.

Thing is, there's not only 3,000 tickets available are there? There's 3000 tickets available every 2 weeks or so. It's incredibly likely that someone who goes to one away game won't then go to the next.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Thing is, there's not only 3,000 tickets available are there? There's 3000 tickets available every 2 weeks or so. It's incredibly likely that someone who goes to one away game won't then go to the next.

I take that point Hogesar but I do think they should have stated from the outset how many premier memberships they were selling so people would have an informed choice. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I take that point Hogesar but I do think they should have stated from the outset how many premier memberships they were selling so people would have an informed choice. 

Yep, that would have been sensible. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

nail on head

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I take your point although I am not sure that applies to London games, Man U ect and a lot of the other clubs give a smaller allocation. None of their statements state the facts on the number of available tickets or the number of memberships being sold. It says this is a fairer system, to whom is this a fairer system ? Certainly not the people who had built up lots of loyalty points ( loyalty points was the club description ). I only realised the EPL ticket limited allocation through fans on here I just thought it was the same as the Championship ie WHU have about 5 - 10000 empty so we could apply for a much larger allocation than 3000. With the facts I would certainly have complained to the club before I paid my £50.

I do feel that my son and his friends were forced into parting with £50 as the only way they could carry on supporting the club away from home in the same way as they did in the Championship. After going to the likes of Boro late on a cold Saturday night, Bolton and Birmingham where we only sold a proportion of our allocation, do people not think it right that they should at least get a fair opportunity of supporting the club at White Hart Lane ect.

The clubs statement made it look like we sold out our away allocation every game when in reality it was people jumping onboard due to our unexpected success, as it is now and nothing to do with it only being £30 a ticket.