Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Farke on German TV

Farke was in Berlin on Saturday being interviewed on TV.  Not sure if this link is accessible.

www.zdfide/sport/des-aktuelle-sportstudio/Daniel-Farke-trainer-Des-premier-League-klubs-Norwich-City-I’m-aktuellen-sportstudio-100-html

No German translation unfortunately.

• Like 1

Fantastic interview and actually quite revealing.

The tagline story is ‘a German nobody who makes it big in the Premier League’...but there are quite a lot of interesting nuances and themes:

Farke is quite different - and even odd - and so fit in well with us Norwich outsiders

He will stick to his playing principles and belief in young players, making players better and resurrecting lost or mis-directed talent.

There was a warm fascination with how loved he was - with the hint that they were surprised - and a feeling that he had found his home (even though it wasn’t in Germany).

Farke also displayed a clear and progressive understanding of the Head Coach - Sporting Director model in terms of roles and responsibilities and lines of communication.

Farke was (rightly) irritated by the implication that money dominates in England and pointed out that Norwich is unique, representing not just a City, but a huge catchment area with a great potential and sense of community. 

He is really deeply proud of the club, its ethos and the opportunity he’s been given. 

Parma 

• Like 18

30 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Fantastic interview and actually quite revealing.

The tagline story is ‘a German nobody who makes it big in the Premier League’...but there are quite a lot of interesting nuances and themes:

Farke is quite different - and even odd - and so fit in well with us Norwich outsiders

He will stick to his playing principles and belief in young players, making players better and resurrecting lost or mis-directed talent.

There was a warm fascination with how loved he was - with the hint that they were surprised - and a feeling that he had found his home (even though it wasn’t in Germany).

Farke also displayed a clear and progressive understanding of the Head Coach - Sporting Director model in terms of roles and responsibilities and lines of communication.

Farke was (rightly) irritated by the implication that money dominates in England and pointed out that Norwich is unique, representing not just a City, but a huge catchment area with a great potential and sense of community. 

He is really deeply proud of the club, its ethos and the opportunity he’s been given. 

Parma 

And just when I thought I couldn't like him anymore!

• Like 1

We've  got ourselves quite a character.  Scary looking, softly spoken.  Very measured in his communication with the press. What I really enjoy are his themes.  They seem to last a few weeks at a time when he reiterates a point, lately  it's been " sins of the past" and " I love these players, I love this club" , he likes to drive his message home. During his first season one of his favourites was " discussing difficult and complicated topics".....which given what he inherited and where he wanted the club to be, I'm sure he was.

Hats off to ye Daniel and Stuart, throw those same hats in  the air for the  Board that  were brave enough to change course and appoint them.  Whatever becomes of this season  the way the Club has been  restructured  in the last couple of seasons  is still something  remarkable.  Despite  what some young player in France thinks, one thing we have IS stability. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

I love him.  He always talks sense, he is articulate and measured but you can also tell he cares and is passionate. I obviously want to stay up this season, but I would rather get relegated with Farke in charge playing football the right way than employing an 'old school' manager and grind 0-0's out playing terrible football but survive.

Hopefully he will be here for many years.

Edited by All the Germans

So impressed, Sat down with Mrs Parma to really go through it in detail....

’you got promoted with high ball possession football,   but you lost heavily...so will you now have to change?...’

‘....it’s really important to stand by your ideals and beliefs (even after having lost)......the players are drilled in the way we want to play, this is the hand we have chosen...(implied it is a good way and our best chance)’

We’re not naive...we can’t have 80% possession at Anfield...but we did well, we made chances, had good possession (the data was good, we did well outside of obvious errors)

‘Have you looked at the game and studied it already?’

’yes..of course ...you need to study it in great detail with an objective mind....think about the next step. Things that go well, things that need to be addressed’

Farke is slightly irritated by a rather patronising attitude from the interviewer. 

‘You have gone from the unknown German to the colourful dog (about town).....’ (you’ve gone from a no-one in Germany to someone who can’t walk down the street without someone wanting selfies....You are appreciated and respected in Norwich’

Despite the patronising tone and somewhat clumsy interviewing the montage put together by ZDF is actually very heart-warming (largely because it’s us showering him with love)...the audience and interviewer seem amazed by it and it re-inforces the image of England as a real passionate home of football, it is respectful...’they love him to his feet!’

‘Farke entered Norwich at a low ebb in both a sporting, financial and cultural sense and -  along with Stuart Webber and a supportive Board - unity has drive the club to great success......(despite scepticism at the beginning at his appointment) 

History bit about Farke’s history...player...horse... Borussia Dortmund....Norwich

Stuart Webber describes him as ‘brave..he takes risks...young players..style of play....we’re lucky to have him’’

’All pays off after 18 months of teambuilding -  with several resurrected German players too - after win vs Blackburn’

‘He is unbelievable ... I love him!!.....(he can take a Zimmerman from 4th tier reserves and make him integral at the top level)....he has made a whole city happy!! (Audience - and interviewer - quite taken and surprised by the montage.... is everybody else is engaged and warmed to the story of success)

Farke ‘ I just love it in Norwich...the fans just sing...they’re passionate, loyal and totally support us.....of course if you lose 3 games old tomatoes and rotten eggs can come flying your way,  but you have to have a clear method, a plan and stick to it...not be influenced by negative noise...I must support my young lads, they’ve done so well and they deserve so much praise’

‘So you can’t walk down the street anymore?’

’To be honest (it was like that) From the very first day ....in England people and media are very focused on the figurehead of the Manager (as opposed to say Germany, where the concept is much more of a Club-wide business structure and process). The role is huge in England, but to be honest it is so much fun!’’

24 teams in the championship and 32 Managers last year! The value (and the respect and appreciation) of the Manager role is huge in England too (if you are successful). Press in England is pretty ruthless, but the pressure is not more than in Germany (it’s football).

’You are a bit different though aren’t you?...your jackets...the way you are...you have a cuddliness!!!!’ 

Farke ‘I’m not sure about cuddliness!! (Laughing)...the role of trainer has changed...you can’t bring high stress, pressure and tension to every day sessions (it won’t work like that anymore) ....you have to have leadership skills and human interpersonal skills to bond and  lead a group’....

......’It’s important to be authentic.....whether you wear suit...trackies or a baseball cap doesn’t matter...be authentic (to yourself and your principles)....that’s how you build a team...via the clarity of your vision and how you genuinely feel  (and ensure a warm, nurturing environment)’

‘......in training....I participate in the sessions...i’m amongst them...i’m part of the Group...it’s not like we turn up together Saturdays for a cup of tea (and then play a match)....it’s not like that anymore (Implication: I know them deeply....day-in-day-out)’

’At Norwich I have brilliant support with an excellent Sporting Director...we work closely together....it is so much fun, I really love it’

It’s brought success...you even have a Farke Life song! You’ve made s success of discarded Germans...how have you done that? Do they have something special?

‘It’s nothing to do with their passports...we are finding under-rated talent, potential and character ...(and then resurrecting it)’....honestly at the moment we can’t afford (the equivalent) English players...(it’s the market, not the passport)....we have to be creative with our scouting...whether that’s Spain, Germany, Holland, Portugal or wherever....’..we pay lots of attention to those markets...’

Farke ‘wherever the players come from they have to fit our model...our playing style...the character of our Group...they all bring interesting traits from different countries (the interviewer mentions how the Germans love to go over to the corners of the ground to salute the fans at the end of games (Farke’s one special interactions with the yellow wall)...ultimately they have to be affordable!’

Drmic and Fahrmann are mentioned as quality players ....’we’re not afraid of quality!!!...we want quality ( but our club parameters and  character remain paramount)....’....we’re not going to buy £10m players, but we have invested strongly in our academy , our young players (and our future)......this way is for us imperative and -truthfully - there is no practical alternative anyway...’

’This is our way...we are maybe predicted to be 20th this year, but we will go our own way and focus on our own methods and beliefs....we broke many rules last year already, we climbed our own Everest.... so we will do the same again this year, we will climb again ...we will be defiant and do things proudly our own way!’

Parma (Mrs)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the translation.  All very interesting especially as to how the German media views us.  Farke talks such good sense.  Is philosophy deserves success.

Bloody Lee getting his face in there again!!! Hahahaha! I can also see another guy I know in the background (Cal) and the two fellas (Derek and Jay) either side of 'The Farke Knight' sit next to me at Carra... have done for years too!

Just mentioning the names in case they're on here and I don't know 😊

I'm just disappointed I didn't get on German TV too as I was literally right next to those guys for the most part! I did wander off a bit further down though which was a touch as the bus stopped for ages right next to us (on Tombland)