Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

worthy's man management.

I cringed when i saw the pink un''s ''worthy challenge'' headline re paul mcveigh this morning.Having seen mcveigh climb off a sub''s bench at crewe and score the goals that possibly saved his job, then produce the goods against soton and sheffield, does wly really need to be handed a ''worthy''s challenge'' gauntlet  before tonight''s match?worthy says he fed up with 3 good performances and 26 bad ones.yes, mcveigh has been inconsistent for 2 seasons now and is obviously frustrating, but now he seems to be forming a natural partnership with deano and recapturing his form of seasons past, doesn''t ''the player'' need some support publicly and if necessary some ''more of the same please'' encouragement privately. does anybody really believe wly is the type of player or person that would respond in a positive manner to worthy''s ''encouragement?''  To my mind, he more likely to be inhibited in his performance, be taken off at 1/2 time and replaced by mckenzie - especially if city are losing, and then worthy will blame mcveigh for reverting to type.i seem to remember worthy did a similar thing to another flair player ''marc'' somebody (he was french anyway) after his skill and tricks had  helped city beat wolves  3-1  about 4 years ago now. worthy publicly reminded the player to keep the tricks under control, and he never seemed to be the same player after that. perhaps worthy should be getting a some tips from the motivational  guru?

I cant agree more - one rule for WLY and another for the likes of Holt, Flem, Eddy & Hughes of this world who have historically gotten away with poor performances week in week out without crys for improvements or inconsistency week win week out.

For example 4 top games from Deano or Hux would get a report saying how well they are playing and the contribution they are making - from wly its a we need more of that.  Deano goes 10 games without scoring and its his contribution is good while WLY would be dropped after two of those games.

OTBC  

I have the greatest respect for paul mcveigh this season  - for a player to be subbed at half time in 3 or 4 games and still to put in performances like those we have seen is exceptional.  I didnt see Hendo - Charlton - Jarrett - Brennan getting subbed at half time for their INEPT performances in midfield in these humiliations!!!!!!!!

i said earlier in the season that wee paul was surplus to requirements.. how wrong i am!!!! he seems to be the mcveigh of old and if he keeps this up could easily walk the player of the year.... (could be the first time the trophy has been bigger than the winner too)

but i do agree with whats been said.. "golden boys" like Hucks and Holt can have consistently bad perfromances knowing that a place in the team is assured... other players can have 1 bad game and never be seen again (Keith Briggs for example)... no player is "undroppable" and it might make these players pull their finger out, particulalry if a rough and ready 18 year old is ready to come in and stake a claim for the team...

Unfortunately worthy seems to rely on the "old pals act" and if ur mates with the manager then you can do no wrong... i guess having a different opinion, maybe struggling in training or whatever but the others dont get given a chance.... 

Worhtys man management has always been poor.. and this just shows that again

jas :)

Perhaps Wiz could shine some light on this but I hear that McVeigh is actually Worthy''s House Elf and as such expects Malfoyesque ill treatment.

Apparently, after being subbed WLY goes into the dressing room and engages in a session of self flagellation with a wet towel and a copy of Delia''s ''How To Cook Vol II.''

Choruses of ''We love you'' etc are painful to WLY because they only lead to corrective beatings and the goal celebration at Sheffield Utd was apparently only approved of by Worthy because WLY took several painful blows by plastic bottles hurled at him.

When not playing he apparently waits on the Worthy family dressed only in a grimy shift.

He almost escaped servitude back in August when Worthy just stopped himself from throwing him a bib in a training five-a-side match.

WLY is a product of the Ulster House Gnome Academy and generations of his family have served The Worthy''s. Their motto is ''We''re not Worthy'' which serves as a reminder of their position within the family they serve.

Got to agree, very poor man management, why does Nigel employ a guy to promote inner belief and positive thinking to help with the teams under performing confidence and then publicly slag off the most improved players performance record?Stone the crows Nigel!! do we have to spell everything out to you?

worthys "sports psycologist" watnot almost shot him in the foot today didnt it!!! the team needed a kick up the backside in the 2nd half and Worthy seemed incapable of giving it, he cant have his Shamen on the bench with him telling the players they are wonderful... he has to do it himself...

its ok getting them fired up for games but if plan A goes wrong he needs to accept responsibility... which is whats lacking at the club

Worthington out!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

worthys "sports psycologist" watnot almost shot him in the foot today didnt it!!! the team needed a kick up the backside in the 2nd half and Worthy seemed incapable of giving it, he cant have his Shamen on the bench with him telling the players they are wonderful... he has to do it himself...

its ok getting them fired up for games but if plan A goes wrong he needs to accept responsibility... which is whats lacking at the club

Worthington out!

[/quote]

And there was me thinking we won the game!

Whatever - it''s working. Another good performance by McVeigh tonight. Playing for his future, or for his manager? You decide....

As long as he keeps performing like this, the Club can''t lose. Keep it up guys.

yes we did win the game.. but a team with 2 decent strikers would of pounced on those chances... be thankful we were up against Akinbiyi and Noel Williams and not a Steve Kabba

Akinbiyi being the leading scorer in the division...

To be quite honest I dont remember them having many clear chances, even the goal was from a deflection.

Anyway my player ratings have just been sent to Archant towers, so feel free to praise me or crucify me when they are posted.

You are being so negative. We''ve won four on the trot now. And Burnley and Sheff Utd are not awful teams as you seem to imply, look at their league positions. Surely that is a cause to be pleased.

Not the Steve Kabba who plays for Sheffield United? That team we beat 3-1 at their place the other night? He didn''t do too much pouncing then did he? He needs to be a bit pouncier to beat Doc and Flem. But no doubt you''re right - it''s the fourth lucky win in a row, and the ninth lucky win of the season.

Sore winner alert....

can''t believe worthy''s at it again - having a go at hucks this time in public.worthy was upset with ''hucks decision making'' - yeah right nigel, for most the last 2 seasons that''s the kettle calling the pot black isn''t it? imo - when burnely equalised, he should have taken charlie off, switched robbo back to left central midfield and dicko on the right wing - that would have tightened us up and got city going foward again. instead, he''s looking around the pitch looking for indiscipline in our creative players who done the biz and got the goals for us. its the midfield that was the problem after.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]can''t believe worthy''s at it again - having a go at hucks this time in public.

worthy was upset with ''hucks decision making'' - yeah right nigel, for most the last 2 seasons that''s the kettle calling the pot black isn''t it?

imo - when burnely equalised, he should have taken charlie off, switched robbo back to left central midfield and dicko on the right wing - that would have tightened us up and got city going foward again. instead, he''s looking around the pitch looking for indiscipline in our creative players who done the biz and got the goals for us. its the midfield that was the problem after.
[/quote]

I agree with what he said but it shouldnt have been done in public although i felt hucks had a very good game last night, sometimes he lets himslef down. It should have been a quiet word in the dressing room. I also felt that between worthington, the physio and co they should have realised that ashton was OK. He had run it off before the change could be made and this should have been noticed. Ashton didnt ask to come off, it isnt his job to keep telling the staff. We had the ball and ashton had to concentrate on the game, not stop and get worthys attention, he wasnt to know he was the one being sunned anyway.

I am not having a go at worthy because he has done very well over the last 4 games and long may it continue, but i find some of his action a bit stupid.

Worthy was right - Hux was rubbish for big chunks of the game. He held on to the ball when he should have passed, he didn''t run for possible balls and he bottled out of tackles. It looked like the F-word - "fatigue". But then he pulls off a goal like that, and has half a dozen significant contributions. I think it''s all part of NW''s new strategy of putting (in my opinion, totally justified) pressure on players to perform.

He did look tired and not too keen on turning out, which is not surprising after a hard game on Monday. But McVeigh had no such problems, and neither did Big Ginge, Flem, Drury and Charlton. I hope he (and Safri, who looked the same) gets it together again for Leicester.

Why does everyone quote Huckerby''s age as an excuse for his appearing to be fatigued. Huckerby is in his prime and in any event stamina improves with age, it is the youngsters who you couldn''t play in games coming in quick succession.

[quote user="ridgeman"]When did Burnley equalise? Charlton was man of the match and surely Robinson was the weak link last night.[/quote]second half we let ''em back in, and imo opinion this wouldn''t have happened if charlie had gone off, robbo moved left side midfeild and dicko taken his place. rather than admit this though, worthy pointed the finger at hucks for ''bad decision making.''