Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

‘We support our local team” chant

What was the point of this chant on Friday? Just seemed to be a bit Little Ol’ Norwich, or even League of Gentlemen, a local club for local people. Don’t we want to expand our fan base?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....no....we havent got enough tickets for people who want to go ,either home or away , as it is!

I dare you to start a thread suggesting stadium expansion.😉

As to the chant, yeah, a little bit tinpot. Even though it was aimed at "scousers"  it's a bit parochial.

I went to Anfield on Friday....walked accoss stanley pk and the first half dozen voices I heard were scandinavian.

Liverpool must have at least 5 or 6000 at every home game from that part of the world alone let alone others i.e asia etc.

I wonder how some of their locally based fans who cant get in feel about that?

And yet the attendance was around 700 below the capacity-unsold corporate tickets, season ticket holders who didn’t attend, or some other reason?

Speaking of chants, a lot of our away fans join in chants like sheep. Eg singing “sky tv are f’ing sh-t’ at the full time whistle. I was genuinely curious and asked the guy next to me who had been enthusiastically joining in as to why that was. He thought about it, said “I dunno” then stopped singing 😂

• Haha 1

We're in the Big League now, Corporate tickets aplenty, there will be Man U shirts in the Barclay when they come to town. 

The Club aren't particularly bothered, one man's money is as good as another.

The number of packages available is incredible, I can purchase a ticket for a game with my hotel and flight from my sofa in Auckland, I might pay a premium  but I won't be queuing outside the ticket office in the rain. 

There are some people who are Premier League supporters, no particular Club, so no risk of Championship football.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

Speaking of chants, a lot of our away fans join in chants like sheep. Eg singing “sky tv are f’ing sh-t’ at the full time whistle. I was genuinely curious and asked the guy next to me who had been enthusiastically joining in as to why that was. He thought about it, said “I dunno” then stopped singing 😂

Yeah, that was dumb too. I think they were doing it so that it would be audible during the pitch side interviews.

It's really not the brightest chant in history given that a lot of us don't support our local club. I grew up 180 miles from Norwich, but my Dad is a City fan. He lived in Norfolk for a bit as a kid, but not his entire childhood and hasn't lived there since he was 18. I've never lived in Norfolk or even any closer than about 150 miles from Norwich.

I get the point of the chant, but it's a bit tinpot for me. Maybe that's just cuz I'm an exile though.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It's really not the brightest chant in history given that a lot of us don't support our local club. I grew up 180 miles from Norwich, but my Dad is a City fan. He lived in Norfolk for a bit as a kid, but not his entire childhood and hasn't lived there since he was 18. I've never lived in Norfolk or even any closer than about 150 miles from Norwich.

I get the point of the chant, but it's a bit tinpot for me. Maybe that's just cuz I'm an exile though.

You can't be an exile if you're not from Norfolk, that's not how it works. 

7 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

You can't be an exile if you're not from Norfolk, that's not how it works. 

Unless there is a better catch all term that everyone would understand that I'm unaware of, it's probably more helpful to leave out the pedantry. 😉

• Like 1

I was born to a Londoner , but spent my youth in Norwich and lived there until I was 18 , I haven't returned since... But I will always be a City fan and I regularly attend matches , but I am not a ST holder anymore... Do I support my local club now , no, did I support my local club then YES . I think that is the case for many people . I became a fan , and I stay a fan (LOYALTY iso LOCAL-TY)...
I too think stadium expansion is a priority...btw

Edited by ROBFLECK

What is great about Norwich is that it is a local family club drawing its support mainly from the community where it is based

that is a good thing, we have a few plastics from afar that purport to be City fans but we don’t want that to expand anymore than it has already 

As we discovered a long time ago, you are from Suffolk, so wind your neck in Waveney.😀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kick it off said:

Unless there is a better catch all term that everyone would understand that I'm unaware of, it's probably more helpful to leave out the pedantry. 😉

Binner. 

Joking, but in all seriousness I've never got this "my Dad was a fan thing". My Dad is a Man Utd fan (he wss born close by and went to Old Trafford as a kid) so I used to laugh at the "my Dad supported them" justification for their glory-hunting. 

Having moved to Norfolk and started a family, both my parents, a Man Utd fan and Coventry fan, actively encouraged us to all support our local team rather than the teams they support.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

CanaryDan23, do you have children of your own yet? 

Its an awesome feeling when your young son or daughter want to support the same team as you. I’m an exile, but my kids are big Norwich fans. We love going to Carrow road, supporting OUR team together, and their passion and support has made mine grow even more, i believe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kick it off said:

I know what you're saying, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong. 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Binner. 

Joking, but in all seriousness I've never got this "my Dad was a fan thing". My Dad is a Man Utd fan (he wss born close by and went to Old Trafford as a kid) so I used to laugh at the "my Dad supported them" justification for their glory-hunting. 

Having moved to Norfolk and starting a family, both my parents, a Man Utd fan and Coventry fan, actively encouraged us to all support our local team rather than the teams they support.

My dad took me to games when I was a kid and we have some great memories of following city together. I got taken out of primary school for 360 mile round trip to be there at Carrow Road when we put Bayern out etc. I’ve never understood the support your local team argument unless you have no family ties to a club. My dad supported Norwich because he grew up in Norfolk, and my two year old daughter has been to a game (albeit Wes vs russ) and can give you a rendition of various city songs. Her current favourite is the Buendia song but she has OTBC, Christoph Zimmerman and pukki in her repertoire too.

how strange would it be for my daughter to support villa or West Brom as the closest big clubs just because they’re local when the rest of us all bleed yellow and green?

My boy was born in Harold Wood, used to come with me when he was a kid. When we moved to NZ he fell out of football, did karate instead. 

A few years ago, West Ham were over for a pre season tour, we saw them at Eden Park against the Wellington Phoenix. He decided, because they were the local Club to his birthplace that he'd follow them.

I'm happy with that, he doesn't really know anything about them, although he gets a new shirt every year. I told him at the time "you can support who you like, but once the decision is made, it's made for life"

I also told him, if he ever came home supporting 1p5wich, he'd be sleeping in the shed.

Kick it off.............. my sentiments exactly. 

(By the by, my children’s favourite song currently is also Buendia’s!) 

Edited by CanaryNath
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kick it off said:

Furriner!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

My dad took me to games when I was a kid and we have some great memories of following city together. I got taken out of primary school for 360 mile round trip to be there at Carrow Road when we put Bayern out etc. I’ve never understood the support your local team argument unless you have no family ties to a club. My dad supported Norwich because he grew up in Norfolk, and my two year old daughter has been to a game (albeit Wes vs russ) and can give you a rendition of various city songs. Her current favourite is the Buendia song but she has OTBC, Christoph Zimmerman and pukki in her repertoire too.

how strange would it be for my daughter to support villa or West Brom as the closest big clubs just because they’re local when the rest of us all bleed yellow and green?

Not at all strange. My sister is a Norwich fan and former season ticket holder who has moved to Belstead, Ipswich and now has a 1-year-old down there. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd expect him to grow up an Ipswich fan if they remain there as they intend to. Admittedly his Dad is an S(ummer too and I raised an objection at their wedding that the presiding Priest did not uphold but even if he wasn't, my nephew oughta be a s(ummer. For me, it's not just about what happens on a matchday, it's how much what happens on a matchday affects the mood around the city in the days after, or sitting in the Indian takeaway on a Saturday evening with your shirt still on and dissecting what went wrong or what went right with a total stranger. It was the smugness in the playground that we felt at having actually gone to watch our team on a Saturday whilst the Man Utd and Liverpool "fans" had to follow the match on teletext without having a clue what the inside of Old Trafford or Anfield really looked like, nevermind felt like. And that smugness still prevails, though to a lesser extent, in the workplace. It's not having to explain or justify who you support with "My Dad lived in Stoke Newington for 6 months when he was 12 so I support Arsenal". It's taking my kid football training and seeing massive amounts of yellow shirts that increase exponentially when your doing well. Nothing comes close to supporting the team of the city you live in and were raised in if you ask me. I went to a business meeting in Gloucester a couple of months back. The MD of the company we were visiting said, "You're from Norwich? I lived their for a year whilst working at Aviva. Didn't like it. I'd never know a city become completely taken over when their football team were playing. You couldn't get anywhere, you couldn't do anything, it was rubbish". I said that's one of the many reasons why I loved it. Didn't get any business out of that one.

Anyway, it's not for me to dictate to anybody who they should and shouldn't support. It's just my opinion that people oughta follow their local team and if they do, they'll get a great deal more out of it that being an exiled fan. It's infectious anyway. My old man has been a season ticket holder for all of the nearly 25 years I have been. He'll tell people he is a Man Utd fan, but he's sat in the away end at Old Trafford watching Norwich and went mental when McKenzie stuck in our second against them in 2005. And he had a season ticket in the Stretford End in the 60s and 70s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kick it off said:

Similar to me, although I grew up in Essex, so closer, but not that close when you’re ten years old. Norwich felt like a local team though because were on Look East. I had Kevin Keelan posters on my wall when I was young, and have always supported City, despite moving away when I was 19 and living in the East Midlands ever since. So they are my team no matter what anyone says. My kids aren’t massively interested in football but have both been to games with me, and if asked to choose would say City is their team too - because I’ve brought them up right and they know we’re the best!

I’ve told this story before, but my daughter walked away from a lad who was chatting her up in a club the moment he said he was from Ipswich! I was so proud when she told me ❤️.

• Like 1

On the subject of chants, there were a few that made me cringe (along with the teenage boys giving the home fans the finger and w*nker signs). “You’ll never get a job” - it might have been accurate 40 years ago! And “xxxx is a sh*thole” is 1) rude wherever we are and 2) ignorant as Liverpool is an amazing city with a vibrant and diverse culture and history.

I guess I just don’t get ‘banter’.

• Like 1

You guys should try living in Italy if you think there's a problem with people supporting their local team. I think over 70% of the population identify as either a Juventus, Milan or Inter fan and few people support their local team, especially when they aren't doing well. 

I work in the south of Italy as an English teacher where the local team is Lecce. In my first three years when Lecce were in the Serie C, whenever I asked my kids what team they followed, it was nearly always Juve with the odd Milan or Inter thrown in. Last season, with Lecce challenging for promotion from the Serie B, a few times I got a response of Lecce. This season with Lecce in Serie A, I expect a few more.

Another thing is that last season, Lecce had around 6,500 season ticket holders in the Serie B. This season in Serie A they've already sold nearly 17,000 (a fantastic number for a club this size in Italian football) with the season still a fortnight away. 

England is generally pretty good for fans supporting their local team. There are of course a lot of gloryhunters, but not as many as in other countries, and the attendances in the stadiums (particularly in the lower leagues) show that.

It was a chant, just like all the others. It isn't a problem. Get one in first before the rubbish comes back. It wasn't offensive or rude and maybe quite factual.

As long as someone is genuine and not just a pot hunter, then support who you like. Many over 60 and under 40 support ManU because it was easy to pick a great club successful at that time. Many in between those ages are Liverpool because of the same reason.

My son left Norwich at 10 months old but because of me is NCFC through and through and his son is called Keelan who also supports the club. And we all live in Cornwall. And I know a few Norwich fans down here who follow Norwich, some because of the strip funnily enough. Some of us have the birth reason but I wouldn't knock any genuine fan because they just like us.

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

On the subject of chants, there were a few that made me cringe (along with the teenage boys giving the home fans the finger and w*nker signs). “You’ll never get a job” - it might have been accurate 40 years ago! And “xxxx is a sh*thole” is 1) rude wherever we are and 2) ignorant as Liverpool is an amazing city with a vibrant and diverse culture and history.

I guess I just don’t get ‘banter’.

Yeah, it was a bit embarrassing to hear those when we were 4-0 down, at least there weren't that many joining in.

I was born and brought up in Norfolk. My Dad began supporting us when he moved to the area and I followed him as my children follow me. They are huge Norwich fans. They had a choice but made their own minds up.

There can be no use of the term plastic when referring to our club. That only describes the big six.

• Like 1

Were any of the fans in our end who were wearing half and half scarves (I can't recall seeing adults at any other City League games wearing them) singing about  supporting our local team?