Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I was a sea scout......sailing and canoeing much better than whittling sticks......

Yes, I was as nervous as heck about the end of last season. It goes along with what I said in my previous post - there is nothing certain in football.  I will always be positive in the face of negativity and I will offer the balanced view if people are too positive.....

....and incidentally, I do not see it as being hugely positive to say we can win the next four matches - I see it as a reality check to those who think we are bound to lose against the likes of Man City and Chelsea.  I see these matches as much as opportunities to get points, than matches where we will be lucky to avoid beatings.

Onwards and upwards.

The idea that saying we can beat Man City is a 'reality check' is nonsense.

Man City have lost 6 of their last 77 Premier League matches. The reality is that a loss is much more likely than other outcomes and it isn't being defeatist to say that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, king canary said:

The idea that saying we can beat Man City is a 'reality check' is nonsense.

Man City have lost 6 of their last 77 Premier League matches. The reality is that a loss is much more likely than other outcomes and it isn't being defeatist to say that.

Yes it is a reality check. We can beat them at CR if we play at our best and put them under pressure.  As you say, they have been beaten six times........someone is going to beat them this season, it might as well be us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes it is a reality check. We can beat them at CR if we play at our best and put them under pressure.  As you say, they have been beaten six times........someone is going to beat them this season, it might as well be us.

 

We can only beat Man City if we are at our absolute best and Man City have an off day. If both teams turn up and perform their best then  Man City win, if Man City turn up and we don’t, we get destroyed. That is the reality of this league I’m afraid

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JF said:

We can only beat Man City if we are at our absolute best and Man City have an off day. If both teams turn up and perform their best then  Man City win, if Man City turn up and we don’t, we get destroyed. That is the reality of this league I’m afraid

We make them have an off day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pink dressing room works, how about adding some speakers up in the ceiling and pummelling them with that ****e from Ed Sheeram for 60 minutes prior to kick off, that’s enough to get any team to have an off day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes it is a reality check. We can beat them at CR if we play at our best and put them under pressure.  As you say, they have been beaten six times........someone is going to beat them this season, it might as well be us.

 

I could theoretically knock out the heavy weight champion boxer. That does not mean I will or even have a good chance of doing so.  Stating that I could, is in no way a reality check, it's just stating one extremely unlikely event as a possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 pts will be good against Newcastle and Chelsea then away at west ham we have good tradition so i believe if we keep positive we will not loose at least there.

Man City of course is impossible game but is after international break so lets hope they not to be on his best.

I afraid if we play same style like against Liverpool we will be killed by they so effective play in final 3rd.

Worst can happen is to loose from Newcastle because all great mood will be gone so early in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Na, not having it, nothing is impossible. We can beat anyone in the division from top to bottom, especially at CR - and even away, given our good form away from home. 

IT IS JUST ANOTHER LEAGUE WHERE ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE ELSE!

DO NOT LET PREMIER LEAGUE HYPE DISGUISE THAT TRUTH! 

 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Na, not having it, nothing is impossible. We can beat anyone in the division from top to bottom, especially at CR - and even away, given our good form away from home. 

IT IS JUST ANOTHER LEAGUE WHERE ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE ELSE!

DO NOT LET PREMIER LEAGUE HYPE DISGUISE THAT TRUTH! 

Nobody is stating that we can't beat Man City, just that almost certainly we won't. Starting a message with the premise that we should beat not only them but Chelsea too as a somewhat likely event is misguided at best or intentionally provocative.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One game at a time for me. Newcastle is all I care about.  Chelsea, West Ham and Man City will look after themselves.

Hanley to keep his place I predict.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Na, not having it, nothing is impossible. We can beat anyone in the division from top to bottom, especially at CR - and even away, given our good form away from home. 

IT IS JUST ANOTHER LEAGUE WHERE ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE ELSE!

DO NOT LET PREMIER LEAGUE HYPE DISGUISE THAT TRUTH! 

 


 

 

NOBODY IS SAYING ITS IMPOSSIBLE- LEARN TO READ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Indy said:

The pink dressing room works, how about adding some speakers up in the ceiling and pummelling them with that ****e from Ed Sheeram for 60 minutes prior to kick off, that’s enough to get any team to have an off day!

Did they play Ed Sheeran in the home dressing room at Portman Road all last season then? 😄😄😄

Edited by Mr Angry
Misspelled the ****’s name
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Na, not having it, nothing is impossible. We can beat anyone in the division from top to bottom, especially at CR - and even away, given our good form away from home. 

IT IS JUST ANOTHER LEAGUE WHERE ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE ELSE!

DO NOT LET PREMIER LEAGUE HYPE DISGUISE THAT TRUTH! 

 


 

 

This makes the rubbish that Richard Madeley spouted yesterday seem almost sensible 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Nobody is stating that we can't beat Man City, just that almost certainly we won't.

I find that statement rather odd tbh and cannot understand why people are so reticent about our chances.  If we could beat them, why is it almost certain we won't??  I just don't get it.  They may be the best team in the division, but then how good are we?  We may give them all sorts of problems and then anything can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I find that statement rather odd tbh and cannot understand why people are so reticent about our chances.  

They've only lost 4 away games out of 38 in the league over 2 seasons. 

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

 If we could beat them, why is it almost certain we won't??  I just don't get it.  

They've only lost 4 away games out of 38 in the league over 2 seasons. 

OTBC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I find that statement rather odd tbh and cannot understand why people are so reticent about our chances.  If we could beat them, why is it almost certain we won't??  I just don't get it.  They may be the best team in the division, but then how good are we?  We may give them all sorts of problems and then anything can happen. 

We could beat them because it is one of the possible outcomes of the game and if everything went perfect, it could happen. We almost certainly won't because they are a lot better than us. That is not downplaying our ability, we are a good team, they are outstanding.

Surely you agree that every player & team are not equal and some are better than others? The one's that are better, they are most likely to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, All the Germans said:

We could beat them because it is one of the possible outcomes of the game and if everything went perfect, it could happen. We almost certainly won't because they are a lot better than us. That is not downplaying our ability, we are a good team, they are outstanding.

Surely you agree that every player & team are not equal and some are better than others? The one's that are better, they are most likely to win. 

Yes, of course I accept that some teams are better than others, but the beauty of football is that at kick off there is no certainty about the outcome of a match, whoever it's against. The pressure is always on the "big" club to do the business and they do not always live up to their reputation, hence the victories we've had at over the years against Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, of course I accept that some teams are better than others, but the beauty of football is that at kick off there is no certainty about the outcome of a match, whoever it's against. The pressure is always on the "big" club to do the business and they do not always live up to their reputation, hence the victories we've had at over the years against Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea........

The problem is your repeated insistence on painting highly unlikely outcomes (automatic promotion under Neil when we weren't even in the top 6, play-offs in Farke's first season when we couldn't score goals, not getting promoted last season when we were sitting clear at the top with very few games to go) as being as valid as unlikely outcomes. We all know we could beat Man City, we just recognise it is unlikely- I think even the club recognise that any points from Man City this season would be a huge bonus and not something to expect. It isn't negative or defeatist to realise that.

You're basically the equivalent of someone going on TV before an election complaining there isn't enough coverage of the Green Party's chance of an overall majority.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2019 at 15:54, Icecream Snow said:

...and was the biggest Negative Nancy on the board for the final six games of last season.

It's like we should rename you Lake District Contrary.

Can't believe people still engage with him when he goes into attention-seeking mode. You're just inciting him to back up his ridiculous opinions with ever more ridiculous rhetoric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:
On 12/08/2019 at 15:54, Icecream Snow said:

...and was the biggest Negative Nancy on the board for the final six games of last season.

It's like we should rename you Lake District Contrary.

Can't believe people still engage with him when he goes into attention-seeking mode. You're just inciting him to back up his ridiculous opinions with ever more ridiculous rhetoric.

I've addressed this time and time again. You cannot say with any certainty before a match or before the end of a season what the outcome will be, you just can't.  It is one of the most frustrating parts I find of being a football supporter that you see people being certain about things.......whether it's being tenth in the table and writing off your chances, to being certain we will be beaten by Man City, to being certain we will get promotion when we are on top of the league......

I do understand it up to a point, people like to be comfortable and secure in what they think.....they like to have an order about things - they are comfortable going into a match against a Man City or a Liverpool thinking we will be beaten because that is the order of things.  It's the idea that the probability is so great that we will be beaten so that we will be almost content when we are beaten because we expected it.

But that is not what football is about - as we proved last season, under Lambert and under Adams and Neil......football is about unpredictability.......just when you think something is certain, football will turn round and show you different. That is why I was not going to get carried away until we were actually over the line last season, as well as thinking we could still get in the play offs the previous season.  It's not nonsense, or contarism, it's trying to get across that football is unpredictable and we should not get too entrenched in our views about what will or will not happen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, of course I accept that some teams are better than others, but the beauty of football is that at kick off there is no certainty about the outcome of a match, whoever it's against. The pressure is always on the "big" club to do the business and they do not always live up to their reputation, hence the victories we've had at over the years against Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea........

On that, I think most people here would agree. However, the reason they are the better team, is that more often than not, they do win.

8 hours ago, king canary said:

The problem is your repeated insistence on painting highly unlikely outcomes (...) as being as valid as unlikely outcomes.

This is the key point to respond to (although, I would exchange the word "valid" for "likely", so you don't get out of the good point focussing on a technicality).

We could beat Man City, we just probably won't. If you recognised that fact, you'd get a lot more agreement in your positive assessment. I assume you do recognise a result against Man City, whilst possible, is more unlikely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

We could beat Man City, we just probably won't. If you recognised that fact, you'd get a lot more agreement in your positive assessment. I assume you do recognise a result against Man City, whilst possible, is more unlikely?

No, I don't recognise it as unlikely - neither do I recognise it as likely.....it must be something to do with the way I look at supporting NCFC - I believe we can win whoever the opposition is at any and every time. 

"Likely" or "unlikely" simply do not come into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, All the Germans said:
53 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

 I believe we can win whoever the opposition is at any and every time. 

We can, it's just less likely...

Only if you look on it as being less likely. 

If you don't think in probabilities, you open yourself up to the idea that here is a great opportunity to get three points against a top side, but what I see on here is people going into a match thinking "we're probably going to lose".....but where the heck is the joy in that? 

You could apply that "we're probably going to lose" to every game we play this season, because every team in the league has more resources and in most cases more experience in the PL than us......but do people really want to go into games thinking that? 

There has to be a belief that we are going to get points anywhere and everywhere and imo you definitely include the top clubs in that. Why should they get a free ride, which is the danger if a crowd is largely full of people who think "we will probably lose this match", which transmits itself to the players?

(At this point someone usually says what the crowd thinks has nothing to do with what happens on the pitch - for those people,  I say......YES IT DOES!!!!!)

The beauty of last season is that we were NEVER mentally beaten when going behind.....we always fought back...it has to be the same this season - and the crowd play their part in that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Only if you look on it as being less likely.

No, it is less likely, because it's less likely. Not because anybody looks at it in any way.

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If you don't think in probabilities, you open yourself up to the idea that here is a great opportunity to get three points against a top side, but what I see on here is people going into a match thinking "we're probably going to lose".....but where the heck is the joy in that? 

Joy was never part of the discussion. The discussion was about the likelihood that we would win against Newcastle, Chelsea and Man City, which, whilst theoretically possible, almost certainly will not happen. If you want to believe it because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, go for it, but that is not reality.

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You could apply that "we're probably going to lose" to every game we play this season, because every team in the league has more resources and in most cases more experience in the PL than us......but do people really want to go into games thinking that? 

Not for me. I'm pretty positive, I think we'll give everyone -  Liverpool and Man City apart - a game and stand a decent chance of a result against all of others. They are both a different class from everyone and avoiding a thrashing should be considered a decent result. (Note. it's not what people "want" to think, it's what they think).

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

(At this point someone usually says what the crowd thinks has nothing to do with what happens on the pitch - for those people,  I say......YES IT DOES!!!!!)

That works both ways. Having stupidly high expectations can also impact the game. We've all been at games we expected to win and were overconfident, the crowd starts getting nervous and it impacts the players. 

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The beauty of last season is that we were NEVER mentally beaten when going behind.....we always fought back...it has to be the same this season - and the crowd play their part in that. 

I agree. It's not particularly relevant to this discussion, but I agree.

Let me put the discussion another way. Do you agree that Man City have better players than we do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Let me put the discussion another way. Do you agree that Man City have better players than we do?

But that isn't the discussion either.....it's whether we as a team - and at CR, with our tails up, the momentum of promotion still there, the possibility that we have done well in the previous three games - that our brilliant way of playing football will be a match for them - and any other team for that matter.

We will have to disagree on it, I am in a minority it seems, but I cannot view watching us with any other attitude than that we have a great chance to win every match we start, regardless of who it is against.   LiverIpool/Man City are great teams, but they are not untouchable......and the more people think they are unbeatable, the less chance there is a team will come along and beat them.

They will be beaten at some stage - it might as well be us that does it than anyone else, we are pretty good too.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×