3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Chelsea dont look too sharp?.....2 championship players from last season playing in the no.9 and no.10 positions....Zouma looking shaky.

....if we're on it , there could be something in it for us?

Chelsea have looked dangerous in short spells. But Mount is having a poor game, Abraham faded after a bright start and Zouma is having a day similar to Hanley on Friday (just swap own goal for conceded penalty).

They're certainly not unbeatable.

Of three of our next four opponents, one lost at home 5-0, another one just lost away 4-0 and  our “banana skin” opponent lost at home 1-0, so we are already above 2 of those 3 as it stands: and this league is supposedly tough? 😎 Pah! 

4 hours ago, Making Plans said:

What ever happened to "one game at a time"

Quite. I think some of you are getting a bit over excited watching other teams lose. Newcastle is a massive must win game, let's get that out the way first. We'll need to play better than we did against Liverpool, especially defensively where we were shocking at times.

The club has a wonderful opportunity to stay up and every game has to be treated as winnable, until we start losing them all. There are points to be had playing anyone outside top 6 but any team in the league will likewise expect to beat us. 4 points from 5 games having played Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City will not have been a bad return and I'll take that as a foundation to build on.

But I'm glad expectations appear to be high. 

Edited by Capt. Pants

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but Frank Lampard’s Chelsea are just so naive. But they’ll be hoping to learn from the experience.

• Like 1

A draw against Newcastle and a superb display and win against west ham, that’s my prediction. Not a chance against Man city. 

Chelsea? Would love to smash them 2-1 (😁), but I suspect last minute Frank L inspired VAR win for them 

Just, let’s not start referring to the Newcastle game as “must win”. Second game of the season, it certainly isn’t that. Yes, it would be great to win it - and we have a fair chance of doing so - but anyone who already thinks a victory is a necessity is going to find it a very long and fraught season...

Edited by Grando
  • Like 1

I didn’t think Newcastle looked as bad as I was expecting them to be, to be honest. I think we'll likely lose to Man City, but beat West Ham and Chelsea. I don’t think they’re all that anymore. And let’s face it, a weaker Farke Norwich side took a stronger Chelsea side to penalties at Stamford Bridge not so long back. Newcastle will be a tricky game, Steve Bruce knows our side pretty well, but hopefully we’ll see them off, I actually think that Teemu’s goal at Anfield was a real key moment for us - he will brimming with confidence so this can only be good news for us.

If we can get 4 points that would be a decent return. 5 would be good. 6 would be very good.

15 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Win all three home games? Jesus. We will not beat Man City, we will get smashed by them, it will be a decent result  if we lose by only one... Write the games against them and Liverpool off, just like 17 other teams in the league have to.

4 points from those games would be acceptable, 5 I would be delighted with.

I can see 5.

Realistically:

Newcastle - win

Chelsea - draw

West Ham (A) - draw

Man City - loss

But if I want to be realistically optimistic:

Newcastle - win

Chelsea - draw

West Ham (A) - win

Man City - loss

There is a chance we could beatChelsea as well, but my gut says they’ll be on the rebound by that point.

Edited by CirclePoint
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Four points from four matches? Art thou all mad? Where is the ambition?  We are not here to shrink into a little Norwich not fit to tie their shoelaces kind of syndrome.  We have had our PL baptism of fire in the first half of the match against Liverpool - we can now handle anything that anyone throws at us, like we did in the second half and last season in so many difficult matches.

Four matches - target 12 points!!!!

Ambition? I'm sorry LDC , while I admire your optimism I think I would take 4 points no doubt...you are not being realistic. Man City are World beaters as were Liverpool. If LFC would have kept the pace up like they did first 40 mins against us , it could have been 6 or seven. Just be realist and say that you want the home games to produce results and points, but stating that you will win all of them is not realistic, just not...(I know you sais TARGET btw 🙄) I reckon you are a big enough boy to admit that.

Edited by ROBFLECK

No, RF, I can't actually believe people are being so reticent about our chances.  Last year I started a thread suggesting we could win the next six games after a poor start to the season - and was laughed off the board, yet we won four and drew one out of the six which was pretty good going and took us way up the table. 

Someone said one game at a time - which I agree with absolutely - but the opportunity with three home games and a winnable away game is there for all to see. If we are going to do well this season, we need to be picking up points at home and I see no reason why we can't give a good account of ourselves in all four of these next games.  We have nearly always beaten a top six side when we have been in the PL before and in the present team, we have the way of playing, desire and ability to do be able to do it this season, probably more so than in previous PL seasons. 

On 11/08/2019 at 11:14, Aggy said:

Yep, if we are to do well this season, we must be taking six points from the home games against Chelsea and Man City. If we don’t.... Farke out!

4 points from those four games will be a good return. 

How dare you suggest DF should go.!!! After all he has achieved and you suggest he should go if we don't win those games!!! Unbelievable. People like you have no patience. 

Even if we get relegated i want DF to stay

1 minute ago, Harry53 said:

How dare you suggest DF should go.!!! After all he has achieved and you suggest he should go if we don't win those games!!! Unbelievable. People like you have no patience. 

Even if we get relegated i want DF to stay

I can't tell if this is genuine or a **** take...

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I can't tell if this is genuine or a **** take...

Genuine. I am quite new to Norwich so i cannot understand the notion of sacking a manager without seeing what he can do. I respect all opinions, and this is mine

1 minute ago, Harry53 said:

Genuine. I am quite new to Norwich so i cannot understand the notion of sacking a manager without seeing what he can do. I respect all opinions, and this is mine

No, I meant the fact you'd missed the obvious sarcasm in the post you quoted.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No, RF, I can't actually believe people are being so reticent about our chances.  Last year I started a thread suggesting we could win the next six games after a poor start to the season - and was laughed off the board, yet we won four and drew one out of the six which was pretty good going and took us way up the table. 

...and was the biggest Negative Nancy on the board for the final six games of last season.

It's like we should rename you Lake District Contrary.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:
10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

...and was the biggest Negative Nancy on the board for the final six games of last season.

It's like we should rename you Lake District Contrary.

Yeah, it's been said before, but it is a complete misunderstanding of my attitude.  The simple truth is that anything is possible until it isn't. In other words, when we are doing badly and people are saying the season is over, even though there are plenty of games left - I will be thinking that we can go on a run and turn it round (I was proved right early last season....).  Conversely, if we are doing well and people starting to say we are certain of promotion, I will be thinking that anything is still possible and that we could still be caught.

So it isn't a case of being uber positive or uber negative just to be contrary, it is a case of saying it's football and anything can happen at any time. People appear to like to show certainty about the way things are at any given stage - I do not think that is realistic, whether it is positive or negative in nature.  Football is uncertain and even if you are running miles clear at the top of the division,  or if you are miles behind in the promotion race - the outcome is not certain until it is mathematically certain.

I hope that explains my attitude (for what it's worth).  It is not contrariness, it is my view of football that you cannot be certain of an outcome until it has happened.  Either way. 

Saying we should be targetting and realistically thinking we can get 12 points from the next four games is not uber positive - I guess I should counter that by saying we could lose all four, which of course is possible too, but when I hear so many comments that we are going to lose this or that match before it has happened, I feel the need to put the obvious point that we could  win these matches too. 

And we could win these next four matches, all of them.

We shall see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

It's like we should rename you Lake District Contrary

Kabooom!!! Funniest  thing I've read/ heard/seen today. 

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

...........Someone said one game at a time - which I agree with absolutely - but the opportunity with three home games and a winnable away game is there for all to see. If we are going to do well this season, we need to be picking up points at home and I see no reason why we can't give a good account of ourselves in all four of these next games.........

Giving a good account of ourselves as we did on Friday is what we all want but that doesn’t necessarily translate itself into points...

You know i love you Lakeyo, I bet you were one hell of a Boy Scout. I backed you v Mortyo and if people go too far on you I'll back you again. I love your positivity , but towards the end of last aseason did you really think that people were being too positive  too early because the things  that you believe that  we can do in the next 4 games are much harder to be positive about. If we win all 4 I'll happily  eat the Corks off your hat.

• Like 1

It’s pointing out the obvious to say that there are 12 points to play for, everyone knows that. This is the PL and it’s as ruthless as it gets, 4 points would be a great return from those fixtures, 5, above expectations, 6, superb, 7 and we’re heading into dreamland. 12 points and I’m waking up realising it was all a dream and it explains why Aguero turned into Peter Rabbit half way through the second half 🤔

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You know i love you Lakeyo, I bet you were one hell of a Boy Scout. I backed you v Mortyo and if people go too far on you I'll back you again. I love your positivity , but towards the end of last aseason did you really think that people were being too positive  too early because the things  that you believe that  we can do in the next 4 games are much harder to be positive about. If we win all 4 I'll happily  eat the Corks off your hat.

I was a sea scout......sailing and canoeing much better than whittling sticks......

Yes, I was as nervous as heck about the end of last season. It goes along with what I said in my previous post - there is nothing certain in football.  I will always be positive in the face of negativity and I will offer the balanced view if people are too positive.....

....and incidentally, I do not see it as being hugely positive to say we can win the next four matches - I see it as a reality check to those who think we are bound to lose against the likes of Man City and Chelsea.  I see these matches as much as opportunities to get points, than matches where we will be lucky to avoid beatings.

Onwards and upwards.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I was a sea scout......sailing and canoeing much better than whittling sticks......

What were canoes and sailing boats made of then, if not whittled sticks.  I was an army cadet( compulsory at school) guns and thunder flashes very much fun for a 14/ 15 year old.

• Like 1

The bookies have made us favourites to beat Newcastle. They don’t often get these things wrong, they’re not stupid, so that’s good news. 

On reflection, I’m starting to lean towards Hanley keeping his place. That own goal really could have happened to anyone, and I don’t think it’ll do him any good dropping him on the basis of that, against one of the great attacking sides in world football. Especially as Timm probably won’t be quite match fit.

Imagine bringing Timm back before he’s quite ready, and him making a howler against the Toon. Some sections would definitely start going over the top, and it could be more damaging in the long run. I say give Hanley his chance to redeem himself (not that he really needs ‘redeeming’ - can happen to any player, and that’s pretty factual). He’ll be fired up and buoyed with confidence should he get the nod, and let’s face it, he showed great character to pick himself up for the second half at Anfield.

Harsh to drop him for an own goal, but on the other hand, I do think Leitner warrants retaining his place. No room for sentiment, granted, but how we handle the squad moral this season will be one of the single most important factors in how things will pan out in my opinion.

I think whatever team we put out will be capable of putting a few past Newcastle. So bring it on, and let’s start putting a bit of early season pressure on them.

I agree it’s probably best Hanley plays against Newcastle, and then see where Klose and Zimmermann are at for the next game. As for midfield, Leitner and Amadou for McLean and Trybull - or Leitner and McLean with Amadou on hold for another game to ensure he knows our system and not to upset squad unity to much? 

Apart from the completely misfortunate own goal, Grant Hanley had a good game against Europe’s most successful attack. He is a tough no nonsense character, our captain and a beast at oppositions corners. Right hear right now, I’d say keep him in.

He was also at Newcastle so might be particularly motivated to play in this one.

Let's just rest this case and wait till the NFC game is finished...some might snap at the chance to get 4 points of the remaining games mentioned...

Newcastle also have a tough start with Arsenal and Spurs in their opening three. They will be looking at our game as a "real opportunity" too.

I'd be very pleased with 4 points from these games. Four or five is a realistic target.