Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham (A), Man City. 

Three home games which is great - win them all and we are likely to be at least in the top three in the table.  If we are to do well this season, we need to get points at home and these three home games, tough as they are, plus the Wet Spam game, are a real opportunity to make headway.

We've had the initiation lesson in that first half against Liverpool and we responded immediately after that.....so time to start getting points - from every team we come up against, whatever their reputuation or pedigree.  

Edited by lake district canary

Just now, lake district canary said:

Three home games which is great - win them all and we are likely to be at least in the top three in the table.  If we are to do well this season, we need to get points at home and these three home games, tough as they are, plus the Wet Spam game, are a real opportunity to make headway.

We've had the initiation lesson in that first half against Liverpool and we responded immediately after that.....so time to start getting points - from every team we come up against, whatever their reputuation or pedigree.  

image.png

Yep, if we are to do well this season, we must be taking six points from the home games against Chelsea and Man City. If we don’t.... Farke out!

4 points from those four games will be a good return. 

4 points from those 4 matches and I will be delighted tbh 

• Like 1

Win all three home games? Jesus. We will not beat Man City, we will get smashed by them, it will be a decent result  if we lose by only one... Write the games against them and Liverpool off, just like 17 other teams in the league have to.

4 points from those games would be acceptable, 5 I would be delighted with.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Three home games which is great - win them all and we are likely to be at least in the top three in the table.

Why so negative? Only top 3? Outrageous! 

OTBC

1 hour ago, JF said:

4 points from those 4 matches and I will be delighted tbh 

Four points would be a good return.

There are home games when we would hope to get points and there's home games where ' nul points ' without a hammering will be the best we will get. Does anyone - apart from LDC - seriously think Man City won't at least match Liverpool's + 3 GD ?

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Four points from four matches? Art thou all mad? Where is the ambition?  We are not here to shrink into a little Norwich not fit to tie their shoelaces kind of syndrome.  We have had our PL baptism of fire in the first half of the match against Liverpool - we can now handle anything that anyone throws at us, like we did in the second half and last season in so many difficult matches.

Four matches - target 12 points!!!!

Edited by lake district canary

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Surely you're on the wind-up now? It seems like you've seen the responses on the other threads like this one and you enjoy the comments you get.

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Surely you're on the wind-up now? It seems like you've seen the responses on the other threads like this one and you enjoy the comments you get.

Not particularly.  What I am trying to do is instill a bit of belief and positivity. Have we learned nothing from last season about how good we can be and the potential there is at the club?

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not particularly.  What I am trying to do is instill a bit of belief and positivity. Have we learned nothing from last season about how good we can be and the potential there is at the club?

But you wouldn't describe Chelsea at home, West Ham away and Man City at home as a 'real opportunity', would you? A 'real opportunity' implies that it's an opportunity that should be taken.

Newcastle at home is a real opportunity. Our two games after these four against Burnley and Palace are also decent opportunities for picking up points.

But these three games- two home games against teams who finished in the top three last season and a tough away game against a team who finished in the top half- are not 'real opportunities' to get points. They're chances to get points, but nothing more than that. 

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But you wouldn't describe Chelsea at home, West Ham away and Man City at home as a 'real opportunity', would you? A 'real opportunity' implies that it's an opportunity that should be taken.

Newcastle at home is a real opportunity. Our two games after these four against Burnley and Palace are also decent opportunities for picking up points.

But these three games- two home games against teams who finished in the top three last season and a tough away game against a team who finished in the top half- are not 'real opportunities' to get points. They're chances to get points, but nothing more than that. 

I would describe every game as a real opportunity to get points. If you go into a game with the mentality that one game is more important than another, all you are doing is putting pressure on yourself for the one that you deem more important.  Getting points is going to be as tough as heck against any team in this league - just like it was last season. 

The media and pundits put forward the nonsense that games against lower teams are more important because it should be easier to pick up points and to take points off our rivals, but that is only true up to a point. "Statistically" (my least favourite word) the number crunchers will say, oh but you have to get the points off your near rivals because the chances of beating a Man City is so slim.......well points are going to be precious - and getting points off the likes of Chelsea and Man City is not only going to be brilliant, but psychologically also will build and inspire confidence for all the other games we have to play. 

The psychology is clear, play to win every match. Anything else is just potty.

You're right Lakey. The next three home games are an opportunity to get 9 points. Now can we leave this pointless discussion at that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with that, but there's a difference between the approach of your play and your expectations of what you'll get out of it. We went to attack at Anfield and I'm sure we'll do the same at home to Chelsea and Man City, but we don't expect to get three points out of these games because they have much better players than us. 

Example: we attacked and played well against Liverpool but got battered 4-1. The reaction was mostly positive because it's a game we never expected anything out of anyway. If we play really well and get smashed 4-1 by Newcastle next week, it won't be positive, because that's a 'real opportunity' to get some points.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But no-body is saying we shouldn't do that LDC - but that's not the point you were originally trying to make (if there was a point).

Just saying we can and will win all the games isn't positive in its self, especially if it's delusional; ultimately it will just lead to disappointment. 

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

I believe the idea for all teams is to go out to win, all teams will approach it differently, realistically 4 points would be great any more and it’s a bonus.

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Things will get interesting on here if Newcastle beat us!

Plenty assuming that this is in the bag ... it ain't.

I’m not sure anyone thinks it’s in the bag. If we are going to stay up though, we need to get points from somewhere. A home game against a side who are likely (although not guaranteed) to be bottom half/relegation rivals is a game which we need to be taking something from. 

If we come out of those four games with 0 points, it’s not the end of the world. If we come out with 0 points and are well beaten conceding two or three goals against both West Ham and Newcastle, then I would start to be worried.

29 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with that, but there's a difference between the approach of your play and your expectations of what you'll get out of it. We went to attack at Anfield and I'm sure we'll do the same at home to Chelsea and Man City, but we don't expect to get three points out of these games because they have much better players than us. 

Example: we attacked and played well against Liverpool but got battered 4-1. The reaction was mostly positive because it's a game we never expected anything out of anyway. If we play really well and get smashed 4-1 by Newcastle next week, it won't be positive, because that's a 'real opportunity' to get some points.

Exactly this.

Two questions to LDC:

1) What do you think Farke would do if he was offered 5 points out of these 4 games? If the answer is not take it, what about 6? (keep repeating until answer is take it; what number do you have?) Do you think he would decline 10 points because there are 12 available?

2) What would you do in the above situation?

13 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I’m not sure anyone thinks it’s in the bag. If we are going to stay up though, we need to get points from somewhere. A home game against a side who are likely (although not guaranteed) to be bottom half/relegation rivals is a game which we need to be taking something from. 

If we come out of those four games with 0 points, it’s not the end of the world. If we come out with 0 points and are well beaten conceding two or three goals against both West Ham and Newcastle, then I would start to be worried.

Watching the first half against Arsenal, they’re a big physical side who are playing ok, as Aggy says it’s not guaranteed but we do need to get something out of these games if we can, but not one easy game in the next four, we might well see points at West Ham more than Newcastle at home!

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

plus the Wet Spam game, are a real opportunity to make headway.

Beating West Ham will relegate us.........

• Haha 2

FFS.

Everyone knows it is possible to win every game.

Whether the pinkun board believes we can beat Man City or Chelsea will have precisely 0% bearing on the result.

• Like 2

Would snap anyone's hand off for 3 points from those 4. Not being negative I just think we haven't found our feet at this level yet. I can see a point v Newcastle and against Chelsea a loss away to West Ham and a cricket score in favour on Man City.

I'm predicting after that we start to find our rhythm and start picking up points but this is a tough start. I'm glad though tbf, if I could I'd swap newcastle with another top 6 team and get another one of those fixtures out of the way early. I'm glad we're getting a period to acclimatize to this level against teams we realistically would be very lucky to pick up points from. 

I’m prepared for the possibility we will lose all our next 4 games, and if we lose at home to Newcastle, I believe will will lose all four. 

However with a win v Newcastle, I can see us beating West Ham and drawing with Chelsea, the latter after all are managed by Lampard who is playing Mason Mount for goodness sake. 

No, I’m more concerned about our injuries and selection against Newcastle as Brucie did a good job frustrating us at Carrow Rd only a few weeks ago. 

So prediction : either 7 points or zero.... either way I’m confident we’ll get our season up and running with our returning CBs and new DM. 

So we can prematurely celebrate winning the next 3 games but had to hold fire on the promotion party when we were home and hosed already . Fair enough . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2