Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Potencial replacements for Deano......

I know many of you including myself like to bury our heads in the sand regarding Deanos potencial departure and pretend it is not going to happen, but unfortunately i fear it will, as does Neil Adams.

I fear that there may be some sort of stipulation in his contract that allows him to talk to Premiership clubs after he has been with us for a year.

He could well go but the question then is who do we replace him with?

Now i am from the school of thought that we need a big, preferably target man type striker up front, particularly in this league.

Eastwood and Trundle have been mentioned alot on these boards but neither fits that role.

We have Thorne at the club who could perform that role but his goal scoring record and injury prone nature, not to mention his age suggest that he is not up to the job on a regular basis.

The only possible replacements that i can think of are Grant Holt at Rochdale, Neil Mellor at Liverpool and Stefffen Iversen at Valarenga. I am not saying that we should sign any of these players but that they are the only ones who  i can think of who can perform the hold up, big striker role. That is why if we sell Deano replacing him with a SUITABLE  alternative is going to be difficult.

Do you have any suggestions?

Short term, see if we can persuade Sutton to head back home for a couple of years, long term is far more of a problem - I would be quite interested to see Leon and McVeigh up front if he is off. Think that might be an interesting combination, from what I remember, Leon seemed to be quite useful in making the ball ''stick'' in the opponents half when he was on form. Also got stuck in, mixing it up in attacking crosses.    

it would be good to have a big target man.. but that still encourages the big hoof.. a target man who''s useless in the air might encourage us to knock it around a bit.. much more the norwich way!

Bit of an outside bet but Gary Taylor-fletcher at Huddersfield scores for fun... given their financial state i reckon we could get him for £100,000

jas :)

Lee Trundle DOES hold the ball up well, and he can score from all sorts of positions. What about Jonathon Stead from Sunderland?  Before you all laugh, he''s not getting the service at Sunderland and he is good in the air, the only problem would be prising him away from the North (oh, and his wages, oh forget it!)

God help us

If there the best we can get, (or u can come up with ) were doomed. We will be lucky to score again all season. It ranges forom past it money grabbing muppets, to useless idiots and to unproven people who we cant rely on it

Please stay dean

[quote user="morty"]No need, I spoke to him last night and he''s staying.[/quote]

Are you telling the truth morty, because i hope you are.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

[quote user="morty"]No need, I spoke to him last night and he''s staying.[/quote]

Are you telling the truth morty, because i hope you are.

[/quote]

Sorry, completely lying! But I think it''s up to the player, if he wants to stay then the price is irrelevant, and I think he''s happy here and enjoying his footy. Big fish little pond scenario, same as hux.

Ashton likes to be settled. He used to live with Mum and dad for goodness sake. He doesn''t know whether Norwich will receive the unrefusable offer and so feels unsettled, he doesn''t know where he is potentially going. He could have gone to Palace before but chose a rural area. He is no big time charlie. It is all down to Norwich City and the price.

I think this post just highlights the sheer stupidity of even considering to sell Ashton - £6M less Crewe''s 20% leaves £4.8M. Just who is there available for this amount who is any good?

Trundle, Eastwood, Holt, Boyd etc are all completely untried at this level and their clubs would demand a lot of money. At £3M Dean Ashton was a well-informed gamble and has shown that he is a good centre forward, not great, Premiership-class, international-level, just good and occasionally very good. Dean has potential and is still young but if he feels he is as good as some of the hype suggests then he is in for a big fall if he moves back up to a midtable or lower Premiership club. Stead, Akinbiyi, Jeffers, Beattie, Marcus Bent, Stefan Iverson and lots of others have all demonstrated how difficult it is to score consistently at the highest level.

Chris Sutton is perhaps the only real choice, even at 34 (Teddy Sheringham still playing well at 40), and Freddie Eastwood might be worth a gamble if fairly cheap. Even Ade Akinbiyi could do a good job but not if we get promoted.

Best bet - don''t sell Ashton, bring in a couple of midfield players with potential or proven vision, and see what this season brings. Only then make a decision over selling anyone.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]agreed 100% breaker - none of the names mentioned so far on this post is yanking my chain. i don''t think he''ll go now any rate, but if if we got 10m for deano, would crouch come back?

[/quote]

Nothing like ashton, huckerby signings yet, nothing to set the world on fire. The best we can hope for is Sutton, and i certaily dont want akinbye.