Sign in to follow this  

When he came on last night, he played further forwards than we are used to seeing him, taking on the Stiepermann role.  He seemed to relish this and I wonder if this is going to be the way he is utilised this season.  He hit one superb shot which hit the post/bar and being further forward he linked the play well. 

So the forward midfield three were Buenida Cantwell and Leitner until Hernandez came on, when we became more of a 4141 as we pushed on. With Amadou hopefully going to step up and push Trybull/McLean for a start, are we going to see Leitner pulling the strings in the no 10 role.....I hope so.

Thought he added zip when he came on.  High pressing only gets you so far, you have to move the ball quickly when you have it.  Thought we did both okay, just a shame about the other end of the pitch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Leitner has the football brain for this league and should start most games imo whether attacking or managing the rhythm of the game. 

100% agree. 

• Like 1

I’ve been a big fan of Leitner since he first came over to us .. He looked super focused last night and was unlucky to be carded imo .  However he looked assured and great quality in our midfield . I like Kenny Mc but I would pick Moritz over him as I think he will offer more of a cutting edge that we’ll need ... 

Last season Kenny contributed with goals and assists, his stats were good and you couldn't argue with the results when he was in the team, but to me Leitner just looks the better footballer. Leitner is one of those players who always seems to be in the right place to receive the ball and move the team forward.

You might be right LDC but personally I thought when he came on for Stiepermann we went with three more central (Trybull, McClean and Leitner) and allowed any one of the three to push up to support Pukki when the chance arose. I thought it worked well as we were more solid in the middle when all three held back.

Edited by Hairy Canary