Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

VAR and last night's linesman

It didn't make any difference to the result last night but there were at least 3 offside decisions against us that were clearly wrong. Are we using VAR differently to the rest of Europe? I thought that borderline decisions would not be flagged and would be reviewed if a goal was scored. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It didn't make any difference to the result last night but there were at least 3 offside decisions against us that were clearly wrong. Are we using VAR differently to the rest of Europe? I thought that borderline decisions would not be flagged and would be reviewed if a goal was scored. 

Yes agree and I’m not sure that lino has learned that yet!

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48953873

VAR: How will the Premier League adapt to the video assistant referee system?

The key thing to know is the Premier League's guiding principle for VAR is that it be used for "clear and obvious errors" and "serious missed incidents" in four types of match-changing incidents:

• Goals - whether they should stand or not based on potential violations (fouls, offside, etc) in the build-up.
  • Penalties - whether the referee has made the correct decision in either awarding one or not.
  • Straight red cards - did an incident on the pitch receive the correct punishment from the referee?
  • Mistaken identity - when a referee awards a yellow or red card to the wrong player following an on-field incident.

There was one for us in the first half where the linesman flagged and the ref waved play on, presumably because if we scored it would get checked anyway. The players are going to need to play to the whistle and not get distracted by the flags if and when they do go up. Makes sense not to flag and check it afterwards though if,it’s tight.

Compared to the WWC the assistant referee last night flagged instantaneously for marginal decisions as if it was pre-Var.  Surely that was not how the system should be?   

Curious also he had to have his communication device replaced.  Had he lost connection to the voice of Shankly?

I thought the same re the lino flagging straight away for offsides (that were not offside)  but the premier league guidelines dont mention anything about offsides

edit it does indeed say the lino should keep his flag down, maybe he should have read the guidelines

For offsides, the Premier League is advising assistant referees to flag for clear incidents, but to keep their flag down for tight calls, knowing these will be corrected by VAR should it be required. This should theoretically cut down on attacking sides being wrongly denied a goalscoring opportunity.

Edited by city4eva

Got the impression there was much less goalmouth grappling than might have been expected. Too early for certainty but this looks a welcome VAR benefit for the game.

• Like 1

I suppose we can be a tad lenient at this time as he must find it hard not to flag given the years of raising the flag as instinct. But hopefully they will all learn not to flag tight calls as it’s definitely putting the players and ref from the game!

It is very confusing at the moment. The gist is that originally it was mooted to avoid howlers. Then it was to assist the officials in what was becoming an even faster game. Then it was because that game had now become so important that decisions had to be correct.

It was explained that VAR decisions are made in real time as the referee would see them. Then in slow motion if it was unclear. So I ask how far do you go? One situation last night made me think about it.

Hanley was adjudged in real time to have committed a foul just outside our area. VAR reviewed to see if if was in the area. And they were satisfied it wasn't. I may be biased but on review on SKY, I wasn't convinced it was a foul. So on review, could the VAR officials have said to Michael Oliver that in their opinion,  it was unclear whether or not it was a foul?

Not that I am a consipiracy theorist but it looks like there can still be a big team bias;   great way to stop "smaller" teams attacks without much criticism or any risk of VAR overturn

• Like 1

Leitner's pass to Hernandez flagged for offside, he got the shot the shot away, which was saved, but had it gone in would that have been checked? The replay showed he was onside. 

And how about if the keeper had saved and it goes for a corner? I assume the offside decision would still stand and we are denied a legitimately earned corner? This is surely why the Linesman have to keep their flags down on tight decisions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, By Heck It's Fleck said:

Leitner's pass to Hernandez flagged for offside, he got the shot the shot away, which was saved, but had it gone in would that have been checked? The replay showed he was onside. 

The linesman should've kept his flag down.

14 minutes ago, By Heck It's Fleck said:

And how about if the keeper had saved and it goes for a corner? I assume the offside decision would still stand and we are denied a legitimately earned corner? This is surely why the Linesman have to keep their flags down on tight decisions.

But what if the linesman gives the benefit of doubt to the marginally offside attacker and the ball goes for a corner? Then a corner would've been awarded in error. In that instance, the linesman should flag if he thinks if it's offside because VAR isn't used to review corners.

Then so what ?

That's how it has been up to know and was always the case before TV could 'prove' anything.

Glad it wasnt just us watching that thought the linesman was flagging instantly for marginal decisions against us.

• Like 1

ManC goal disallowed for offside. Players see it on the screen and end up arguing with the ref. 

Shame really as that would have made it 3-0 and stopped us being bottom of the table.

Some people complaining about close VAR decisions more out of sour grapes than anything else.

Good to see the letter of the law properly enforced.

• Confused 1

Good to see the letter of the law properly enforced.

Trouble is. its only 20 teams getting the benefit. The elite are getting the better breaks again.
I am a bit at odds with the elite after hearing that Bury, right in the cart, got less than £500K from TV last season and as one Bury supporter said, that is less than Sanchez gets a week at ManU.

5 hours ago, ZLF said:

Not that I am a consipiracy theorist but it looks like there can still be a big team bias;   great way to stop "smaller" teams attacks without much criticism or any risk of VAR overturn

Hence my comment re. Advice from Shankly - who is he in communication with? 😉

• Like 1