Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for Newcastle (h)...

Wow, people are throwing Stiepermann under the bus after one game. He was so crucial to our performance last year, he deserves better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Wow, people are throwing Stiepermann under the bus after one game. He was so crucial to our performance last year, he deserves better. 

Ditto Hernandez

...together with Buendia and Pukki formed a dangerous unit last season ...and all should be given their chance

The mantra is continuous improvement and this will happen.... Aaron's, Lewis and Godfrey are full of ability and potential.   They do need stability and experience alongside them and Klose and Zimmermann are more likely to offer that.   Hanley hasn't really played for a year and it showed.    The fact that Trybull and particularly McLean weren't at it didn't help our young defenders.   

No point being critical of the youngsters.    Whilst we will continue with the philosophy, Farke will know more than anyone that we still need to find a way of keeping a defensive shape with protection from a central midfielder or two.  Trybull will do better and Amadou is hopefully another Ndidi.    

4.3.2.1 or 3.5.2 may work on occasion too.    Anyone that's worried already should ask, were we at our best on Friday?    Absolutely no where near it.    Our best is yet to come and then we will raise that bar too.   

One thing is for sure though, points are so precious in this league that team selection is vital.    The best 11 must play.    Loyalty is necessary but we can't afford blind loyalty, keeping players in to prevent loss of confidence is a risky strategy.    DF did give the impression 'we have 2 central backs missing' that the Hanley selection was not ideal.    This league is ruthless, DF's choices and man-management will be really tested.    I expect he'll pass that test and as much as anyone be responsible for our mid-table position. 

OTBC.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I'd expect Farke to maybe make 1 change and bring in Leitner as he was part of the 2nd half team he heaped praise on. As much as I don't like Hanley again I think Farke will give him the opportunity to redeem his performance and give Klose more time to come back. If he has another poor game it's bye or he steps up and repays him.

On another more controversial point am sure will be an unpopular opinion am dissapointed Krul had a decent game. I think the sooner we get Fahrmann into the team the better we will be across the season. Krul always worries me for mistakes and fear he will cost us points in close games. 

27 minutes ago, Crispy said:

I'd expect Farke to maybe make 1 change and bring in Leitner as he was part of the 2nd half team he heaped praise on. As much as I don't like Hanley again I think Farke will give him the opportunity to redeem his performance and give Klose more time to come back. If he has another poor game it's bye or he steps up and repays him.

On another more controversial point am sure will be an unpopular opinion am dissapointed Krul had a decent game. I think the sooner we get Fahrmann into the team the better we will be across the season. Krul always worries me for mistakes and fear he will cost us points in close games. 

I think Hanley and Krul will be well up for the Barcodes, if it doesn't work out, it won't be for the want of trying. 

How far off is Zimbo?

I think this is a good game for Amadou to get a start and get used to the team before some tougher games come up.

I think Cantwell appears to be doing very well, so it is unlikely to see him dropped.

Leitner appeared to change the game somewhat against Liverpool, and he came on at 10.

I'd also like to see Roberts on the wing.

So the biggest issue is where you play Leitner - at 10 or further back...

So I think this might be what happens:

Krul

Aarons Godfrey Klose(Zimbo if fit) Lewis

Amadou McLean

Buendia  Leitner Cantwell 

Pukki

.                               Krul

Aarons      Godfrey      Klose       Lewis

Amadou

Leitner

Buendia           Cantwell         Hernandez

Pukki

How about a 4-3-3? I don't think we'll see it but this would be a cracking side:

Krul

Aarons        Godfrey            Klose        Lewis

Leitner            Amadou        Vrancic

Buendia            Pukki        Cantwell

Like others have said I'd like to see Klose or Zimmerman in for Hanley if fit and Amadou to start. I also think Farke will stick with Cantwell as he had a really good game against Liverpool. Hernandez definitely carries a threat with his pace and directness but I think Cantwell is better at the fast short passing game that Farke wants us to play.

It may seem tough on Trybull, but it was the position many fans wanted a new starter. I certainly feel in this league we needed better DM play, it is an area that was always going to be under scrutiny as I think it is a key position now in this league.

I think there may be the odd game when both may be needed but Amadou has top flight experience from France and Spain in that position. 

I think many of us believe a few players have reached their upside and in doing so if we have players who are at that level or can be seen to go beyond it then it is right for others to step in. I think that answers why many think Marco can be replaced by Cantwell at this point. But it certainly could be the case that Marco sticks in that position, as always this is our individually opinion. Not of Farke and his thoughts after a week of training.

Just glad this Newcastle game is now and roll on Saturday.

For me Klose/Zimmermann when fit come in for Hanley no questions. Regardless of his mistake, he just isnt going to be good enough for the premiership. In respect of midfield, Leitner and Vrancic's passing ability will be key this season and must be part of the first team XI. Be interesting to see whether Amadou will be in contention for the Newcastle game and on paper, would seem a vast improvement on Trybull.

Krul

Aarons   Hanley  Godfrey Lewis

Trybull     Leitner

Buendia    Stiepermann   Cantwell

Pukki

For part of Trybull and Hanley,  I think Farke don't want to crush them for not being able to match far superior Liverpool. It'd be disastrous for their confidence as well, so they'll get fair chance. Especially because Amadou has been in team for so short time (expect to maybe see him to come in as sub later on). Also, woud not take any risk to hurry with Klose.

I'd personally like to see maybe Stiepi to be left out with Cantwell in middle and Robets on wing, but I think Stiepermann also is given chance to show more of what he has in this level. The opponent is now much closer to the ones we faced last season in any case and Stiepi could often make the difference in those games. Also, gotta remember that even though his finishing was bad in last game, he did manage to get into few early chances which he'll be putting in another day.

Leitner must have conquered the position with what he showed in last game.

On the part of others, they seem to be best options on those positions in their current forms as even though they did not maybe shine against Pool, they still seemed positive.

I don't think you can under-estimate just how good Liverpool's front three are.  ANY of our 4 CBs would struggle against them.  I also think Aarons had a torrid first half against Origi - was that down to Emi not supporting him defensively?

Re Stiepermann - I hope I'm wrong, but I wonder if his awkward style of keeping possession might not work as effectively in the Prem.  Sharp, incisive passing opens up defences, so players like Buendia, Cantwell and Leitner should thrive in that position.  What they don't offer though, is the physical presence to hold the ball up if and when we need to pass it out long from the defence.

I'd prefer not to see either Cantwell or Stiepermann on the left wing, neither have enough pace - both should be competing for the 10 spot. Hernandez and Buendia both to start on the flanks.

5 hours ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

How far off is Zimbo?

I think this is a good game for Amadou to get a start and get used to the team before some tougher games come up.

I think Cantwell appears to be doing very well, so it is unlikely to see him dropped.

Leitner appeared to change the game somewhat against Liverpool, and he came on at 10.

I'd also like to see Roberts on the wing.

So the biggest issue is where you play Leitner - at 10 or further back...

So I think this might be what happens:

Krul

Aarons Godfrey Klose(Zimbo if fit) Lewis

Amadou McLean

Buendia  Leitner Cantwell 

Pukki

This would be my choice, but I think Amadou may be on the bench. DF may consider we need Stiepermann's height against Newcastle so Leitner may drop back next to Trybull.

I think our attack needs to include Pukki, Buendia and Hernandez to present different problems to the defence. Cantwell has played well enough that he should start but there is good shout for Vrancic, Stiepermann and Roberts to play. If fit, Klose, Amadou, Leitner and Hernandez to come in for me but I don't think Farke will do that.

My pick:

Krul,

Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Lewis,

Amadou, Leitner

Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez

Puki

I expect it to be a largely unchanged team and only Leitner to start in place of McLean.

(Assuming Klose isn't available....)

I reckon Farke will go with:

Krul

Aarons, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis

Trybull, Leitner

Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez

Pukki

Pretty much our first pick team from last year.

No way is Cantwell being dropped after his pre-season and performance against Liverpool.

• Like 1

Think it’ll be largely unchanged. 

My guess would be Leitner as the only one brought in.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 08:43, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think Amadou had any serious pre-season match-time with Sevilla, so it might be a game or two too early for him.

I believe Amadou will be a really important player for us this season, but I have noticed there is one rather misleading statistic that is getting thrown around, including today by Paddy Davitt:

But this was a lad who played 32 times for Sevilla last season in a team who finished sixth in La Liga.

According to Soccerway, bearing in mind that he was injured for a while, there were only seven La Liga starts, with 10 appearances off the bench. I think he featured in several Copa del Rey games.

35 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Why has Hernandez been dropped after his 40 odd games last season?

Hernandez was hot and cold all season. Plus, how far back do you go? You could say x player was awesome 6 years ago so he deserves a start. What matters is the most recent performances. We're at the start of the season so that includes pre season. Cantwell looked better than Onel in pre season and against liverpool. 

9 hours ago, AB3 said:

Think it’ll be largely unchanged. 

My guess would be Leitner as the only one brought in.

I agree. We’ve seen Farke stay loyal to players who have the shirt, so I think he’ll give Hanley another go and probably swap Tommy T with Mo as it should be impossible to ignore the improvement once he came on. 

I’d like to see Kenny further forward though, don’t think he was playing in his best position.

Cant see Farke changing anything and he'll give our championship winning players every chance to impress in the top flight.

However, i'd like to see the following and even though Cantwell looks to be improving.

Klose

Aarons       Klose      Godfrey      Lewis

Amadou

Leitner

Buendia       Stiepermann       Roberts

Pukki

Regardless of Klose and whether he is ready, I think Hanley will be given another go - after all, he's hardly played any first team games for over half a season and he is no mug as a defender, just that the others got in ahead of him and left him on the sidelines after his injury.  To drop him now would imo be counter productive and he needs a few games to get up to speed.

Is Trybull fit? If not Amadou may be ready. So -

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Mclean

Buendia Leitner Cantwell

Pukki

Actually it's bl**dy difficult to leave out any of them - Stieps deserves a few goes too and I would definitely want to see Vrancic on the field at some point next week.   Not to mention Hernandez, Roberts and Drmic. We have one heck of a good squad! 

On 10/08/2019 at 10:11, lake district canary said:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Leitner 

Buendia Cantwell Roberts 

Pukki

I’d suggest staring the above - Klose is still injured and Trybull may also be. Up front Cantwell and Roberts, over Stiepermann and Cantwell, we shouldn’t need a lot of muscle up there for long out balls from defense, but we do need recovery speed and height and muscle in our box when defending against counter attacks and corners. 

Edited by Surfer

Krul

Aarons  Klose Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Leitner

Buendia      Vrancic   Hernandez

Pukki

We have a good number of options and we need to be able to taylor the team selection to suit the team we are playing against. Think we can look to inject the unpredictability of Hernandez against Newcastle.

15 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I agree. We’ve seen Farke stay loyal to players who have the shirt, so I think he’ll give Hanley another go and probably swap Tommy T with Mo as it should be impossible to ignore the improvement once he came on. 

I’d like to see Kenny further forward though, don’t think he was playing in his best position.

Agreed, Farke likes a settled team. Unlikely Klose is ready yet, Tommy T hobbled off after a fairly unconvincing performance (against a top team). If there is a change, it'll most likely be Leitner in for one of Trybull or McLean. He won't be dropping Stiepermann and Cantwell has his place for the time being. Hernandez & Vrancic give interesting options off the bench. Personally I'd like to see Roberts given some pitch-time, particularly at home. It's most likely still a bit early for Amadou to start, even if TT is carrying a knock but we might see him at some stage against Newcastle, depending how the game pans out. Still look a bit thin at the back though with two out.