Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for Newcastle (h)...

Amadou was captain of Lille and then played in La Liga

So for me he has proved himself in 2 top European divisions as a very decent DM. So certainly I see him as an upgrade to our DM group.

I think we will see him much more over this season in that DM position

Edited by smooth
  • Like 1

I think we are all fairly happy with Trybull/Leitner and Amadou if ready in midfied. It's just then just a selection of 3 from 4 of Cantwell/Emi/Marco and Onel. I'd expect them all to get game time vs Newcastle. 

As somebody else mentioned - I'd like to see Mario back in the mix too when fit! He has the same class and passing (let alone shooting) that Mo has.  

Agree with comments with regard to Mario. He was important off the bench early in the season.

Exceptional then in the 2nd half of the season. So agreed he is going to have an impact and he could get some time against Newcastle

1 hour ago, Ramrod said:

Aarons on the other hand found new levels from the challenges he faced. He found new gears. 

Origi and then Sane. 

Lewis did the same. 

Infact all of our young players raised their games. They used their heads as Leitner did. 

Absolutely, it was amazing how quick the youngsters adjusted and grew in their game, very noticeable. I said early last month Leitner is made for the premiership and said I could see him being one to watch this year.

Just spoken to my mate who's a Scouser and he was impressed with our players and our play and he thinks we will have no trouble staying up. Its funny really as he said we just need a goalscorer. But I think he meant someone like Salah.

Seemed an odd game the way it panned out.      Good to get the feedback and we sure entertained the watching world.      A proud night for the club, players and us fans.    They say we had 5 shots on target, the most any team has had at Anfield in 18 months.     Sure we had more than that (Stiepermann, Hernandez, Buendia, Godfrey and Pukki’s goal for starters) plus Leitner hit the bar.

Farke made the right call in selecting players that got us promoted, rewarding loyalty although Leitner and Hernandez were unlucky to miss out.    Afterwards, showed his usual integrity and quality with the analysis…. Loves this team and we ain’t changing philosophy for no one!   

It did confirm some specifics though….. defensively, we are going to get better and better… for one, all 3 youngsters responded as the game progressed, Godfrey will be in an England squad before too long, convinced of that.  Hanley struggled to my mind, his starting positions left him exposed. Everyone knows the engine room will make or break us, hence the concern to get a holding midfielder in.    Not sure Henderson will have an easier game all season, he strolled past McLean and Trybull time after time.   

Although not influential, Trybull kept going but disappointingly McLean was missing for most of the game.   They will both have to be much, much quicker on and around the ball.    It’s frustrating the times they do receive it in space and control the ball towards a defender when they can turn and get us on the front foot.    It’s essential we get those small details honed.   The improvement when Leitner arrived was no coincidence.     It was disappointing that Leitner missed our run in to league success but had he played, I sense we may have wrapped it up sooner.     Hopefully, he’ll get his opportunity next week.  

What the game did confirm is unquestionably, the chasm in both quality and potential between Todd Cantwell and Marco Steipermann is wide.    Marco may have had a disappointing game but he seemed out of his depth with the intensity (similar to TT and KM) unfortunately.   They will all need to step up but I fear Marco probably played to his maximum last term.    If we are going to have competition for places then Todd and Moritz have to start next week.      

Cantwell was our most lively player, particularly first-half.    Buendia needs games and will be a star and Pukki, it’s hard to see that he could have done much more and his finish was impeccable.    We do also have Vrancic, Roberts, Drmic and Idah etc… busting to impress.   

I do hope Klose is available next week but if not, would go with Amadou alongside Godfrey although probably too soon for a DM start.  

Krul

Aarons, Godfrey, Klose / Amadou, Lewis

Trybull, Leitner

Cantwell, Buendia, Hernandez

Pukki.  

Where not bottom of the league – on the up already!    

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

................Krul.......

Aarons....Klose....Godfrey....Lewis

...........Amadou.....Leitner......

....Buendia.....Steipermann.....Hernandez.

.................Pukki................

I'd pick the above as well  but I don't think Farke will. Midfield will stay the same but Klose might come back in if fit. Wouldn't be surprised to see an unchanged team.

OTBC

knowing Farke don't like to change too much and also he say is always harsh to kick out player same time after first mistake I not be surprised Hanley to keep his place.

Cantwell look like improved player and also known Farke like much to use young players and give them run I don't see this change either.

One of Trybull and MaClean is more likely to be changed with Leitner because him make impact and this may  be only change in starting 11.

Steppi i think will struggle a bit in this league and if cant shine first 2 3 games I believe this position behind the striker is to be taken by some one.

All in all seems new players need to waiting a bit to play role and patience is key.

Bruce is never easy to be beaten at Carrow Road but this game is must to be taken as we all know Newcastle is not on best mood .

Get behind the boys and our club now is too good,balanced and in great mood to be relegation candidate imo!

I also think DF will stay with much the same line-up, though there's a chance Cantwell may move inside to replace Stiepermann and Leitner could come in as deep playmaker. I think Zimbo is back in training but this is probably too soon, though Klose might be available. Krul did well and looked commanding, so he should start again for what is a big game for us.

I think Farke made the comment post match interview he wasn’t happy with Hanley with our two CB injuries. So if fit Klose will definitely come in next game.

I think we'll see Leitner for McLean and possibly Klose for Hanley if and only if 100% fit.

Marco will hold his place for now - as will Hanley unless Klose 100% as DF doesn't damage a players confidence lightly on one unfortunate accident / og. Neither Lewis or Aarons where particularly 'good' in the first half defensively but as team they ALL got better together later!

I'd like to see Onel start but Cantwell did very well. 

For me Leitner was important in the 2nd half improvement. With Hanley and McLean we struggled to establish our normal passing game, Leitner just makes it look so easy to control the game.

i agree Hanley will only make way if Klose fully fit.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think Farke made the comment post match interview he wasn’t happy with Hanley with our two CB injuries. So if fit Klose will definitely come in next game.

I think its fairly well established at this point he is our 4th choice CB. 

24 minutes ago, Carn said:

I think its fairly well established at this point he is our 4th choice CB. 

Sorry was responding to Boris I don’t think he’ll be playing against Newcastle if Klose or Zimmermann are anywhere near fit.

4-1-2-3 -- Slight variation of the 4-2-3-1 and a formation that accommodates Vrancic:

Krull

Aarons
Godfrey
Klose
Lewis

Amadou

Leitner
Vrancic

Emi
Pukki
Hernández

New meds Jools? That is quite a sensible suggestion. A strong line up 👍👍

1 hour ago, Jools said:

4-1-2-3 -- Slight variation of the 4-2-3-1 and a formation that accommodates Vrancic:

Krull

Aarons
Godfrey
Klose
Lewis

Amadou

Leitner
Vrancic

Emi
Pukki
Hernández

Exactly what I was going to put Jools. I belive that Mo and Mario will open up a lot of prem teams, also formation gives decent defensive cover due to the industry and endeavour of Emi and Onel.

Edited by NWC

6 minutes ago, NWC said:

Exactly what I was going to put Jools. I belive that Mo and Mario will open up a lot of prem teams, also formation gives decent defensive cover due to the industry and endeavour of Emi and Onel.

Can’t say I’d argue with that starting lineup, it’s tough on Cantwell but it is a strong line up giving Leitner room and cove to go forwards too.

I still go with Indy's original line up

Leitner and Amadou in those key midfield positions with Cantwell, Buendia and Hernandez ahead.

As mentioned in a previous thread I just feel Marco may not have too much more upside, last year was a breakout year for him and if he plays like that again then that is good. But I can see Cantwell opening more defences and being able to transition into the technical league much easier.

I am just waiting for next Saturday now, wishing the week away

Watching Newcastle play Arsenal, at home obviously, they are playing a fairly narrow 4-4-1-1 and there is lots of room for Arsenal to attack using width.

If they play the same at Carrow Road, I can see where we can exploit the gaps outside that they leave until the final third of the pitch.

1 hour ago, smooth said:

I still go with Indy's original line up

Leitner and Amadou in those key midfield positions with Cantwell, Buendia and Hernandez ahead.

As mentioned in a previous thread I just feel Marco may not have too much more upside, last year was a breakout year for him and if he plays like that again then that is good. But I can see Cantwell opening more defences and being able to transition into the technical league much easier.

I am just waiting for next Saturday now, wishing the week away

Indeed....the debate for Cantwell starting or not shouldnt ever have been at the expense of Hernandez.....it shouldnt have been on Friday (how much joy would Hernandez have had running in behind Liverpools defence?) ...and it most definitely should not be at home to Newcastle!

...I get that Cantwell had a couple of decent pre season games against Luton and the like  ...but does that really warrant our changing our attacking unit , of which Hernandez was a big part, which scored 90 odd goals last season?

....lets not let Newcastle have it any easier by not having our biggest and quickest threat from wide on the field from the start.

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Indeed....the debate for Cantwell starting or not shouldnt ever have been at the expense of Hernandez.....it shouldnt have been on Friday (how much joy would Hernandez have had running in behind Liverpools defence?) ...and it most definitely should not be at home to Newcastle!

...I get that Cantwell had a couple of decent pre season games against Luton and the like  ...but does that really warrant our changing our attacking unit , of which Hernandez was a big part, which scored 90 odd goals last season?

....lets not let Newcastle have it any easier by not having our biggest and quickest threat from wide on the field from the start.

I agree I was surprised that Onel was omitted. I think against the toon he will be in that squad.

Krul

Aarons, godfrey, klose, Lewis

Leitner, Amadou

Buendia, Cantwell, Onel

Pukki

....just watched a very ordinary newcastle barely lay a finger on an arsenal team several pars below full strength.

...this has to be a game we must be looking at 3 pts from...just hope we get this team selection right

Who cares who plays for us?  We can put any 11 out there and take the geordies!  We're in the driving seat and only need to play our game, not worry about them.

• Like 1

Definitely this 11 away at Anfield was not our best 11 but know Farke how  react last season I cant believe many changes at least for Newcastle game.

When all fully fit too good players will be out of match day squad ...

Edited by Boris

6 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Do you still want Hanley in for Godfrey too?

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you still want Hanley in for Godfrey too?

Hardly watertight last season....nor this so far.....with Godfrey featuring in both ..

....our best defender is probably Zimmerman but I fear we may not have a premier league standard centre half at the club at all.

.....but with Farke seemingly insisting we use the new 18 yard box rule to play the ball out from a goal kick to a centre half, with the opposition bearing down on us, Hanley is the least technically equipped to be asked to do that......and will cause us many problems of our own making

We just came up against the best in the business. 

A few friends text me after the Liverpool game saying you have to pick your fights. I don't care. Let's have a go at everyone and see where we land. 

We will stay up. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 08:34, Six Pack said:

Cantwell played well last evening so should be in the team if Hernandez comes in, it should be for Steipermann

Farke said Cantwell was our best player in the first half I believe, he also had a really good preseason, nailled on starter for me.