Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for Newcastle (h)...

................Krul.......

Aarons....Klose....Godfrey....Lewis

...........Amadou.....Leitner......

....Buendia.....Steipermann.....Hernandez.

.................Pukki................

..although early in the season, this one is a fixture we'd have to be earmarking as a 'must win' fixture....harsh on Cantwell but Hernandez was a big part of our attacking unit last season and we have to be at Newcastle in our own backyard from the off.....there maybe an argument for Cantwell over Steipermann in time and Steipermann will be kept on his toes because of it

McClean may have been selected last night becasuse of his extra industry against a liverpool side..but I'm hoping the presence of Amadou will allow the selection and freedom for Leitner

Klose hopefully is back to keep the chair warm until Zimmerman returns

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I agree with this. Only change I would maybe make to your 11 is Roberts for Hernandez - but you could argue it either way on that one.

I don't understand the Cantwell omission. Thought he was one of the top performers last night. Really looked a step up on last season. 

I'd be tempted to try him at number ten if we really want to bring Onel into the 11. I'd keep Cantwell in the lineup though. 

• Like 4

Hernandez looked pretty sharp when he came on last night, would definately start him against Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

................Krul.......

Aarons....Klose....Godfrey....Lewis

...........Amadou.....Leitner......

....Buendia.....Steipermann.....Hernandez.

.................Pukki................

..although early in the season, this one is a fixture we'd have to be earmarking as a 'must win' fixture....harsh on Cantwell but Hernandez was a big part of our attacking unit last season and we have to be at Newcastle in our own backyard from the off.....there maybe an argument for Cantwell over Steipermann in time and Steipermann will be kept on his toes because of it

McClean may have been selected last night becasuse of his extra industry against a liverpool side..but I'm hoping the presence of Amadou will allow the selection and freedom for Leitner

Klose hopefully is back to keep the chair warm until Zimmerman returns

I don't think Amadou had any serious pre-season match-time with Sevilla, so it might be a game or two too early for him.

46 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't understand the Cantwell omission. Thought he was one of the top performers last night. Really looked a step up on last season. 

I'd be tempted to try him at number ten if we really want to bring Onel into the 11. I'd keep Cantwell in the lineup though. 

This..

I think he will offer much more than Stepi in that role and at this level by the end of the season.

Cantwell played well last evening so should be in the team if Hernandez comes in, it should be for Steipermann

I don’t see the team changing baring injury. It won’t do a lot for the players confidence if they are dropped after one match against the European Champions.

If there was one change to be made it would be Leitner for Kenny. I don’t see Klose coming in as I doubt he’s fit. Ditto Amadou.

As much as I criticised Cantwell last season he had a half decent game last night and has improved greatly. Still a way to go but a big improvement.

Hernandez looked sharp which bodes well.

Krul who most were concerned about preseason had a blinder I though.

Ultimately Farke doesn’t make too many changes and I wouldn’t expect any uninforced changes.

Leitner in for me rather than Kenny, obviously Klose or Zimm back too for Hanley if it's soon enough. 

I would even prefer Roberts to Stiepermann. Feel he would have completed one of the 3 chances that fell to Marco last night. 

Edited by sonyc

Trybull may not be fit and Leitner made a huge difference when he came on for Stieps last night, so I'd put him in there again from the start. 

Krul

Aarons Godfrey Klose Lewis

Amadou Mclean

Buendia Leitner Cantwell

Pukki

Mclean was a tad overwhelmed last night, but did OK.

I’d move Cantwell central and drop Steipermann, play Leitner from the start but alongside Amadou or Trybull or Mclean on of those three, with Hernandez to start against Newcastle, we can win that game.

Krul

Amadou Leitner 

Buendia  Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki

I believe the midfield was picked due to the opposition and we will do that the odd time but McLean and Trybull may not start that often.

I also feel Marco will be replaced by Todd, when we do a long ball it is never to Marco and tbh his link up play is not at the highest level. Todd cut Liverpool's defence a few times. So I can see a couple of changes.

Krul

Aaron's, godfrey, klose, Lewis

Leitner, Amadou

Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez

Pukki

Trybull may be in if Amadou is not ready but he needs to improve. The changes will not effect the team as I think the team we put out was due to the opposition and injuries (which farke alluded too). This team knows they will get chances but this is a big game against Newcastle

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Mclean was a tad overwhelmed last night, but did OK.

I’d move Cantwell central and drop Steipermann, play Leitner from the start but alongside Amadou or Trybull or Mclean on of those three, with Hernandez to start against Newcastle, we can win that game.

Krul

Amadou Leitner 

Buendia  Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki

Exactly this.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Mclean was a tad overwhelmed last night, but did OK

Sorry, but which McLean were YOU watching???

Utterly anonymous for most of the game, and when he did appear he was either giving the ball away or making weak passes. That was probably his worst game since joining us and you think he did ok????

The fact that you've removed him from next weeks suggested side tells me you don't think he did ok either...

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Utterly anonymous for most of the game, and when he did appear he was either giving the ball away or making weak passes. That was probably his worst game since joining us and you think he did ok????

The fact that you've removed him from next weeks suggested side tells me you don't think he did ok either...

He was pretty poor. I actually think Farke really dropped the ball with his inclusion over Leitner or Vrancic. He'll have a role to play this season but away at the big hitters we need everyone to contribute for every second of the game. McLean was a passenger for a lot of the match last night. 

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I agree he wasn’t good enough to warrant my pick for next week, but look who he was up against! 

As I said he was overwhelmed by that Liverpool midfield so I’d definitely bring in Amadou and Leitner, but can’t be too critical of McLean.

McLean simply cannot start as a holding midfelder in the premirship...most other clubs will overwhelm him......and we've surely got the personnel for us to not have to do that

.....I do however still think he has something to offer in a more advanced position...he can thread a ball through and clearly has an eye for goal

I don't want to criticise individuals but I seldom notice McLean in games. I don't know what be brings to the team as he seems to lack the identity of other players. 

My worry is Farke might yet fall into the undropable trap with Kenny. 

1 minute ago, Ramrod said:

I don't want to criticise individuals but I seldom notice McLean in games. I don't know what be brings to the team as he seems to lack the identity of other players. 

My worry is Farke might yet fall into the undropable trap with Kenny. 

Someone yesterday summed him up in a post, he’s either very good or goes missing, but yesterday I can certainly see his energy was there but totally got overwhelmed by that Liverpool side, but then it’s Liverpool.

As others he certainly has a place in this squad and can play his part this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Someone yesterday summed him up in a post, he’s either very good or goes missing, but yesterday I can certainly see his energy was there but totally got overwhelmed by that Liverpool side, but then it’s Liverpool.

As others he certainly has a place in this squad and can play his part this season.

Aarons on the other hand found new levels from the challenges he faced. He found new gears. 

Origi and then Sane. 

Lewis did the same. 

Infact all of our young players raised their games. They used their heads as Leitner did. 

• Like 2

My team would be the same as the one in the first post. I said last night that Hanley, Trybull, McLean and Cantwell probably won't start a huge amount of games between them as there are better options in their positions when everyone is up to speed. Nothing against those four, as they're all good options, except maybe Hanley...

I think it is unfair to single out MacLean in midfield. I think Liverpool's midfield are so quick, strong and press high and at times we had no chance to  control, look up and pass. But he did look the least effective last night. I thought Cantwell was superb and another player who should blossom in this division.

However, i think it is imperative that DF picks his best team when he can. But also, as has been said, you son't make wholesale changes after giving the CL winners a good game. On the other hand, we have brought in players who are desperate to play.

I think Indy's lineup looks about right depending on Amadou's fitness. If not it has to be Leitner and Trybull.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think Amadou had any serious pre-season match-time with Sevilla, so it might be a game or two too early for him.

Really want to see Mario in there somewhere 

I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel doesn't make any changes.  He stuck with the same team for two or three games at the start of the last season, despite losses - and last season didn't work out too badly for us.

That said, Leitner really changed the feel of the game when he came on yesterday, so I'd like to see him in for someone - either McClean or Stiepe, even though dropping anyone is harsh.   Omitting Hanley from discussion as it was evidently a bad day for him.

Edited by Orly

I don't want to criticize ANY of the players last night. Only Krul played a true blinder (as is often the case with overworked keepers!). As they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and a 3 goal defeat to Liverpool at Anfield won't look to shabby after a few games) although at 4:0 it was going to be close run thing.

All that said - we looked much better after half time - we grew up - did Lewis and Aarons not bomb forward so much and Leitner cleary has booked his starting place. Hanley - I suspect lost his confidence after the og - but to be fair Aarons let dangerous cross come in. We move on.

In attack - nobody really stood out - yes Pukki scored, Marco hadn't got his shooting boots on, Cantwell did OK but let's put it this way - the press didn't notice! They did notice our good TEAM movement and attack. 

So swap in Leitner for McLean and yes I'd start Onel. Cantwell or Marco ? And please  - suport Hanley - he may well start against Newcastle as unsure if Amadou, Klose or even Zimmerman would be ready. I hope Trybull is OK. 

It.'s strange that people would put Amadou instead of Trybull without having properly seen him. Certainly he is the type of player we need but let' s not build him up too much yet. 

Tettey was missed last night but I would like to see Vrancic back in the starting line-up

• Like 1

Yep I think indy is hands down right.

I think farke would have started with a better 11 but brought in a few players due to the opposition, which you have to do for some opponents.

For me Leitner starts ahead of Kenny, Kenny is a player who should be on the bench. We have 2 midfield spots and the whole squad knows we win as a squad and lose as a squad. So no player will feel like they are hard done by if planning is made clear.

Think many may have been surprised with Cantwell for Onel. But I think Indy's team gives us the best chance to win our next game and that is what you need to do. Try and get your best team out and a team that is the best fit for a win when we need it.

Newcastle are a team we should be looking to beat as there is a little early turmoil at at James's.

• Like 1

I agree with the Leitner / Amadou selections,  if the latter is fit and up to pace with what we need - suspect he may start on the bench with TT alongside Leitner,  who is a must start.

Agree with Klose for Hanley,  assuming his hip recovers too - a no brainer I think they call that.

Behind Pukki I would def keep Cantwell and Buendia,  the only question is over steipermann.   At the moment I feel keep it unchanged - on another day he would have had a goal and nbo one would have worried.   He will play better and he adds some physicality in a way that Onel or Roberts lack.    Swapping one of them on a little earlier to inject their pace,  as Todd tires,  would be my tactic