McLean 5 

cantwell 7

stiwpermann 6

Buendia, 7

Pukki 8  

Hernandez -7 

drmic - 7

leitner - 8 

Lewis should be at least a 7 given who he was up against and Godfrey definitely a 10, Krul an 8 for me did nothing wrong.

Are you joking? Leitner transformed the game after he came on - settled things really well. Drmic did nothing wrong but agree he didn’t get much to do- 6 seemed harsh though 

• Like 3

Krul 8

Aarons 6

Hanley 5

Godfrey 7

Lewis 8

Trybull 6

McLean 5

Buendia 7

Cantwell 7

Stiepermann 6

Pukki 9

Leitner 9

Hernandez 6

14 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Can’t see how you can give the last two, they hardly touched the ball

You talking about Moritz?

2 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Leitner brought Farke's instructions onto the pitch and read everything early. 

Also made a cynical foul. Something we should have done much earlier.

Previously not been a Leitner fan, but looks like he could be the one this season. 

• Like 1

Godfrey, Lewis, Pukki, Krul, Leitner were the stand outs 

Cantwell, Buendia, Aarons were decent

The rest were par/ below par really but no-one had an absolute shocker for the whole match (Krul made decent saves, Hanley a couple of decent interceptions later on).

Trybull, Stiepermann and Mclean will have easier days as they were outpressed all game. There again I wonder if we may see Mario, Roberts and Amadou in quite soon anyway.

Overall, despite the scoreline, I'm encouraged quite strangely. I saw the team of 2018/19 doing what they did a few months ago on a much bigger stage. I'm keeping my faith in this squad.

13 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

hepphep - please explain your rating for Godfrey ?

I think he was very solid. However,  the defensive formation acts as unit and none has shined if we concede 4. In addition he also had pretty sloppy moment on Salah's goal, going to situation only partially and allowing Firmino to pass freely to Salah.

But as told, I think he was pretty good, but dont think he shined that much (unless you just compare him to Hanley)

57 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I vote:

Krul - 7 

Aarons- 7

Godfrey 9

Hanley (C) 4

Lewis 6

Trybull 5

McLean 5 

cantwell 7

stiwpermann 6

Buendia, 7

Pukki 8  

Hernandez -7 

drmic - 7

leitner - 8 

Why did Krul Aarons Onel Drmic and Mo get a minus score? A bit harsh....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Godfrey only got 4 in the BBC ratings!? 

That's because they don't recognise him and confused him with Hanley. Godfrey and Krul were the stand outs - both excellent, as was Leitner. Cantwell and Buendia showed some really good touches but Trybull and Maclean were outplayed in midfield - not that surprising, given who they were up against. 

Aarons has to learn fast, but hopefully he will. Our defence was caught out often because they were protecting Hanley's lack of pace, plus Lewis was marking Van Dyk at every corner.

And even then we should have scored 3 or 4. Lots of positives and like Farke, I'm a bit disappointed we lost that game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think you guys are overrating Godfrey. OK, he was the best defender tonight, mainly because he was the only one who wasn't really at fault for a goal, but nines and tens are seriously exaggerated.

Yup, some one-eyed scores above generally. I'm saving my 9s for clean sheets and victories.

• Like 1

Godfrey blew hot and cold. He made errors despite showing a lot of heart. Having rewatched the highlights I would downgrade my score to a 7. But great player and he will bounce back strong 

29 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Godfrey blew hot and cold. He made errors despite showing a lot of heart. Having rewatched the highlights I would downgrade my score to a 7. But great player and he will bounce back strong 

Did the same this morning and his second half was immense, he actually took charge of the box, he’s the one constantly talking to players, winning headers and blocking shots, apart from one track back run which lead to a foul Hanley didn’t do anything more than he did in the first half! That own goal shot Hanley to pieces.

So I tend to agree the first half given it’s his first game at this level and it was the European champions it’s no better than a 6, but second half he grew and was superb, definitely a 9.

Edited by Indy

Krul 8.5 (MOTM)

Aarons 7.5

Hanley 4

Godfrey 8

Lewis 7

Trybull 5

McLean 2

Buendia 6

Cantwell 7

Stiepermann 5

Pukki 8

Leitner 7

Hernandez 6

Drmic 5

Talking points:

Krul was great throughout, I know it's hard to justify a high score when you've conceded 4, but he had pretty much no chance with any of them and his other stops prevented a possible cricket score, with the save from the freekick by TAA a real standout. Was a tough call between him and Godfrey for MOTM as Godfrey was strong throughout (having to cover Hanley half the time) and he improved even further 2nd half, a real superstar in the making.

Hanley was unlucky with the own goal, but his overall defending was pretty poor. Bad marking, far too static and although he won a few strong headers towards the end of the match, I'd argue that he's the reason we conceded at least 2 of the goals. As a backup against weaker opponents he's fine, but boy did we need Klose or Zimm there last night, and boy do we need one of the back ASAP.

Trybull struggled to contain them, which was not helped by the utterly useless/anonymous performance from McLean either. I think Amadou will likely take the spot when he's up to speed, but considering the situation, I don't think TT was anywhere near as bad as some made him out to be, and he was still a 100 times better than McLean who I struggled to even see on the pitch most of the game, and when I did see him, he was either giving the ball away or playing a weak pass. One of McLean's worst games since joining and he should have been subbed were it not for Trybull's cramping issue forcing Farke's hand.

Buendia was quieter than usual, Cantwell did nothing to suggest he deserves to be dropped and was probably the best of the 3 behind Pukki, Stiepermann really struggled to get into the game for some reason.

Pukki was Pukki, endless energy, some great runs and movement, and was unlucky to only get 1 on the scoresheet.

Leitner the best of the 3 subs and made me wish we'd had him from the start instead of McLean, with Drmic barely getting a touch, but some good play from Onel in his short time on.

Considering the quality of the opposition, especially away at a place like Anfield, I think we did ok. Without the defensive blunders and a bit more control in the middle and we'd have given them a real game, as at times we looked as good attacking as they did. No shame in losing to a side like Liverpool in this scenario, and gives me real belief we can go out next week and spank Newcastle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Krul 8.5 (MOTM)

Aarons 7.5

Hanley 4

Godfrey 8

Lewis 7

Trybull 5

McLean 2

Buendia 6

Cantwell 7

Stiepermann 5

Pukki 8

Leitner 7

Hernandez 6

Drmic 5

Talking points:

Krul was great throughout, I know it's hard to justify a high score when you've conceded 4, but he had pretty much no chance with any of them and his other stops prevented a possible cricket score, with the save from the freekick by TAA a real standout. Was a tough call between him and Godfrey for MOTM as Godfrey was strong throughout (having to cover Hanley half the time) and he improved even further 2nd half, a real superstar in the making.

Hanley was unlucky with the own goal, but his overall defending was pretty poor. Bad marking, far too static and although he won a few strong headers towards the end of the match, I'd argue that he's the reason we conceded at least 2 of the goals. As a backup against weaker opponents he's fine, but boy did we need Klose or Zimm there last night, and boy do we need one of the back ASAP.

Trybull struggled to contain them, which was not helped by the utterly useless/anonymous performance from McLean either. I think Amadou will likely take the spot when he's up to speed, but considering the situation, I don't think TT was anywhere near as bad as some made him out to be, and he was still a 100 times better than McLean who I struggled to even see on the pitch most of the game, and when I did see him, he was either giving the ball away or playing a weak pass. One of McLean's worst games since joining and he should have been subbed were it not for Trybull's cramping issue forcing Farke's hand.

Buendia was quieter than usual, Cantwell did nothing to suggest he deserves to be dropped and was probably the best of the 3 behind Pukki, Stiepermann really struggled to get into the game for some reason.

Pukki was Pukki, endless energy, some great runs and movement, and was unlucky to only get 1 on the scoresheet.

Leitner the best of the 3 subs and made me wish we'd had him from the start instead of McLean, with Drmic barely getting a touch, but some good play from Onel in his short time on.

Considering the quality of the opposition, especially away at a place like Anfield, I think we did ok. Without the defensive blunders and a bit more control in the middle and we'd have given them a real game, as at times we looked as good attacking as they did. No shame in losing to a side like Liverpool in this scenario, and gives me real belief we can go out next week and spank Newcastle.

A very fair and accurate post Indy Bones. Agree on McLean and Stiepermann (and Trybull). Yet, look who they were playing against. But we can only assess the game we watch. As you've said, there is no shame. None whatsoever. A lot of learning last night for the lads.

Krul did well and my motm,  thought aarons & lewis improved significantly in the second half which bodes really well, and despite the horror own goal Hanley was not a 4 bad - 6 without the OG;  not outstanding but didnt have a bad game and will be an able 4th choice  cb until Klose then Zimbo returns. 

Leitner (7)had a real impact when he came on and was the best outfield player for me;  Todd impressed (6) and Buendia got better ast the game went on.  Pukki did what he does.

Steipi was disappoint with his shooting (5) but marginally better Trybull (5) who was marginally better than Kenny (5) who played like he was still enjoying some 20/20 - off the pace and the game went on around him.   

Plenty of positives, we will improve and I am keen to see what an Amadou / Leitner base can provide us. 

3 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Krul did well and my motm,  thought aarons & lewis improved significantly in the second half which bodes really well, and despite the horror own goal Hanley was not a 4 bad - 6 without the OG;  not outstanding but didnt have a bad game and will be an able 4th choice  cb until Klose then Zimbo returns. 

Leitner (7)had a real impact when he came on and was the best outfield player for me;  Todd impressed (6) and Buendia got better ast the game went on.  Pukki did what he does.

Steipi was disappoint with his shooting (5) but marginally better Trybull (5) who was marginally better than Kenny (5) who played like he was still enjoying some 20/20 - off the pace and the game went on around him.   

Plenty of positives, we will improve and I am keen to see what an Amadou / Leitner base can provide us. 

Don't write Tom off just yet, he's always been a slow starter (as well as an unfeasibly slow runner) and seems takes a while to get into his rhythm.  Whether he still has his place in the side by that point in time is not so clear.  I have faith he can make the step up.

10 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Kenny had a bit of a mayor. 

I didn't see him during the game. A bit anonymous 

Krul  - 8 

Aarons - 6

Hanley - 4

Godfrey - 7

Lewis - 5

Trybull - 5

McLean -5

Buendia -7

Stiepermann - 6

Cantwell - 7

Pukki -8

Leitner - 7

What struck me most about our performance last night was how the entire team bar Krul, Leitner, Cantwell and Pukki looked a bag of nerves. It was such a promising showing because you could see with our best 11 in place and the nerves settled we will look a really good side. But the occasion got to a few of the players, then at 2-0 down some became understandably shell shocked and the defending became desperate and ragged and a confident, high quality side like Liverpool were always going to take advantage of that. Farke settled us at half time and with their emotions in check we put in a much better performance and showed more of what we're capable of but I still wouldn't say our passing and decision making were all that good by our standards.

Leitner in next week to help control the ball, Amadou in for Hanley who needs a few weeks off to reset his head and we'll get a much better result v Newcastle I'm sure. 

Also is Lewis injured or ill? He's looked slow, blowy and uncomfortable in the last few matches from what i can see. I don't want to sound like I'm getting on his case because he's brilliant but I was struck by how slow he looked at times last night which is usually the last criticism you could level at him. Just doesn't seem right to me, 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann