Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Norwich took more shots tonight than any team managed at Anfield last season.

I think we played incredibly well. 4-1 massively flattered Liverpool. If Klose or Zimmerman were available tonight then I think we'd be having very different conversations on here tonight. 

• Like 2

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I actually think tonight bodes pretty well: first night back in the Premier League against the European Champions and, after a drubbing in the first half, we keep them out all second half and claw a goal back. I really think we're going to do okay this season. 

• Like 4

Not a bad result. Learnt more from tonight than loosing 1 _0 to Burnley. We will beat half of the league if we play like that week in week out. 

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Courtesy of Bethnal......

"Norwich took more shots tonight than any team managed at Anfield last season."

This tells you a lot about our play, our movement and our quality.

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good grief, I'm glad I don't follow stats too much, it's way too dull.

• Haha 1

For me, the rapid improvement is the key positive. Yes, defensively we were brutally exploited in the first half - but second half the defensive interceptions and reading of the game was unbelievably improved.

Of course there is an argument to say Liverpool got complacent, but we caused them some real problems offensively in the second half. I think Leitner gave us much more balance, and with Klose coming back and the young lads adapting I think the only way is up.

5 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:
29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Courtesy of Bethnal......

This tells you a lot about our play, our movement and our quality.

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good grief, I'm glad I don't follow stats too much, it's way too dull.

Yes, like I said, i don't follow stats too much...the above one is fairly obvious.  Where I draw the line is the semantics of using stats to declare how a match will pan out before it has happened. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, like I said, i don't follow stats too much...the above one is fairly obvious.  Where I draw the line is the semantics of using stats to suggest something I believe might not actually be true. 

Fixed it for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Fixed it for you. 

Don't fix what isn't broken.  A game starts at 0-0 and always will. Thereafter anything can happen, regardless of what stats say beforehand.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Don't fix what isn't broken.  A game starts at 0-0 and always will. Thereafter anything can happen, regardless of what stats say beforehand.

Yes, anything can happen, it's just some of the things that can happen are more likely than others. Geddit? 

Edited by canarydan23

Hand on heart. I can be as downbeat as anyone else and I'm holding off criticism of some players but last season when a lot of people were doom laden over our poor start I couldn't feel dispirited because we were creating a lot of chances and moving the ball forward quickly. 

I feel the same tonight. 

And Klopp has already noticed our young players. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes, anything can happen, it's just some of the things that can happen are more likely than others. Geddit?  

Not in football.  Hanley doesn't kick the ball in his own net, Stiepramann's third shot goes in the top corner and it's all square. I've said it on another thread, it's the uncertainty in football that is where the joy is. I was looking forward to seeing us win tonight and with a little bit more luck and no own goal, we more than held our own by the end of the match.  I feel a bit sorry for people who thought that is was likely we would lose - it's only a football match and anything can happen.

Even at 2-0, 3-0 down, I was thinking let's get to half time and see where the second half takes us - we know what this team is like from last season.  As it happened the 4th killed it, but even then, we showed why we are a good team.

• Like 1

Errors are part of the game but we do need to cut out bad goals from corners. I was disappointed with that because it is an identifiable fault from last season. 

Get Zimmerman back in there when he’s ready and hopefully the new midfielder will be up to speed, bring in Leitner, iron out the silly mistakes like having Lewis on van ****. attack the way we did in that match and we will be fine. Massive moment that Pukki scores as well tonight, that confidence boost for a centre forward to continue his scoring streak and know he can do it at this level is priceless for us 

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

As it happened the 4th killed it

Why did the 4th kill it, LDC? 

It's football, anything can happen. It was just as likely to finish 5-4 to Norwich when they went in at half time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

It's football, anything can happen. It was just as likely to finish 5-4 to Norwich when they went in at half time. 

He means that was when he stopped believing we were going to win... which obvs then transferred itself to the players, meaning they no longer could.

Please pay attention!

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:
9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

As it happened the 4th killed it

Ok, I'll humour you.  At 2-0 and sometimes (as we saw last season) 3-0 down, then it isn't over and whoever gets the next goal is influential.  At 2-1 or 3-1, you are asking questions, but score at 4-0, there is still a level of comfort for them even if we score.  

At 4-0 you are playing for pride and if you get to 4-1 playing well, which we did, you are just getting a consolation. Now if we had got a second with a few minutes to go, then it gets interesting, but 4-0 down and it is very rare an away  team will be able to come back fully from that. At 4-2 then Klopp and the crowd would have got tetchy, our tails would be up and it would have made for a great end to the game.

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I'll humour you.  At 2-0 and sometimes (as we saw last season) 3-0 down, then it isn't over and whoever gets the next goal is influential.  At 2-1 or 3-1, you are asking questions, but score at 4-0, there is still a level of comfort for them even if we score.  

At 4-0 you are playing for pride and if you get to 4-1 playing well, which we did, you are just getting a consolation. Now if we had got a second with a few minutes to go, then it gets interesting, but 4-0 down and it is very rare an away  team will be able to come back fully from that. At 4-2 then Klopp and the crowd would have got tetchy, our tails would be up and it would have made for a great end to the game.

Why? On what rationale are you basing the premise that games are live at 2-0, sometimes 3-0, at half time, but at 4-0 you're only playing for pride? What data or experiences are you calling upon to form this opinion?

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Why? On what rationale are you basing the premise that games are live at 2-0, sometimes 3-0, at half time, but at 4-0 you're only playing for pride? What data or experiences are you calling upon to form this opinion?

I don't think you have grasped the concept of using your intelligence and knowledge of watching football to decide what may happen, rather than data. 

Just now, lake district canary said:

I don't think you have grasped the concept of using your intelligence and knowledge of watching football to decide what may happen, rather than data. 

I'll answer for you then if you insist on playing the politician. 

The reason you feel the game is dead at 4-0 is because of probability. There are many instances of a team going 4-0 down and in only a tiny amount of those instances did the team could back to get something.

So you're right, at 4-0 the losing team are likely to just be playing for pride, despite the fact that it is entirely possible to come back from such a margin. 

Likewise, a promoted team has played away at a Champions League team with an impeccable record at home many, many times. And whilst there are a few more instances of the promoted team getting something out of the match than teams turning around a 4-0 deficit, it's still a very small amount where the Champions League playing hosts don't win. 

So by the same logic you've deployed by making the game is dead at 4-0 premise, you can prophesise that we were unlikely to win at Anfield and laugh with derision at people who claim each team has an equal chance of winning in any given football tie. 

You seem to have conflated hope with expectation. You're capable of grasping this simple concept when a match is at 4-0, so it shouldn't be too much of a leap for you to apply it everywhere. 

That said, you probably know your wrong but, as ever, won't concede despite the tidal wave of evidence. And I'm probably enabling your strange trait by taking you to task over it given your strange fetish for negative attention. 

Yes, I made a judgement at 4-0 that the probability of a comeback was slim - whoopee - but the general point about pre-determining what will happen before a match using probabilities based on data is meaningless to me. Watching football has simply taught me not to trust or think in pre-match probabilities or stats. Football is an uncertain game and that is what makes it so interesting to watch. 

I simply cannot and will not ever go into a match thinking we do not have as good a chance as the opposition of winning it. That is my choice and is based on reality of things happening in the moment and not on pre-dictated outcomes based on dry probabilities and data.  The joy for me is in the now-ness of the football, which is why I will always believe we have a chance of winning every match, whether we are top of the league, bottom or somewhere in between. Probabilities and data, for me, do not come into that.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like my football raw and in the moment, data just gets in the way of that. Farke, I am sure uses stats and data, but I'll wager that he only uses them to try and find weaknesses in the opposition, stats to try and improve his own players and their teamwork and doesn't waste his energy predicting losses and heavy defeats because that is what stats tell him is probable.

One of his mantras is to be  "in the moment" when you are on the pitch - that is how we keep so composed in a match, whatever the scoreline.  That is what I like to be too - in the moment - and having ideas of losing a match because that is what stats predict is a negative outlook and I do not like to be negative about my football.

Edited by lake district canary

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Bring on Newcastle next sat then as we'll be peppering that goal. 

I suppose I am somewhere between stats and the uncertain nature of football, if football is just about stats it begs the question why lots of people do not win the football pools jackpot every week. Maybe we should refer to stats as expectation and the uncertain nature of football as hope, my expectation last night was that we would lose 3-1, that said there was a part of me that hoped (given the uncertain nature of football - we would not have FA Cup giant killers if it is not so) with a fair wind and a bit of luck we might have got a point, that hope went out of the window when Grant Hanley unfortunately scored an early own goal (No stat in the world could have predicted that the ball would slice off his boot and find just about the only spot that Krul could not get to)........