Sign in to follow this  
baldy09

Hammering on the cards

Defence very poor and we will be cannon fodder for all - Hope we keep it down to 7  tonight -

Well Hanley is showing the way - he is our weak link and we know that so no major surprise. 

I get the funny feeling the block button will be getting a bit of use this evening.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Defence very poor and we will be cannon fodder for all - Hope we keep it down to 7  tonight -

we ?

far cough bin filth

• Thanks 1

Lots of experts on here tonight demanding loads of changes after 30 minutes of football against the European champions

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I can see us losing by 7 easily. Still think we'll get one back at least but I've turned off. 

That's the spirit, we're better off without you. 

19 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Lots of experts on here tonight demanding loads of changes after 30 minutes of football against the European champions

3 of my changes Fahrmann Leitner Hernandez (krul mcclean cantwell)...certainly werent in hindsight.

Klose/zimmerman in for hanley is fairly obvious....and i dont suppose amadou has come here to sit on the bench when he's up to speed

I actually feel that the premier league could have destroyed our whole premier league experience with this fixture, Gary Neville saying we actually look ok and he likes us.

Like starting a new job and the first day going horrendous and not wanting to go back.

Let's all remember how last season started. Time to make an assessment will be after 10 or 12 games. The squad and management have to find their feet first. 

• Like 2

The first half an hour was just a freak occurrence. We created more chances and looked the better team for large parts but we're 3-0 down. 

With Klose or Zimbo in for the hopelessly out of his depth Hanley then we would have given the European champions a real run for their money. 

I agree Krul looks shaky, our set puece defending needs work, Hanley shouldn't be anywhere near a Premier League XI and Stiepermann needs to find last season's shooting boots, but we played well tonight. Loads of positives; Cantwell looked like he has stepped up, Aarons and Lewis as good as we hoped, Pukki off the mark. We created several chances against one of the planet's greatest sides that on another day hit the back of the net.

Despite the result, I'm pleased with the overall performance and am as confident as I was at 8om that we'll stay up, maybe more so. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

4-1 is not a hammering and to win the second half 1-0 was creditable and carries on the mentality of last season - we stay composed and we do not give in.

Thought you'd be disappointed LDC. Didn't we have a 50/50 chance of winning? 

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:
4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

4-1 is not a hammering and to win the second half 1-0 was creditable and carries on the mentality of last season - we stay composed and we do not give in.

Thought you'd be disappointed LDC. Didn't we have a 50/50 chance of winning? 

Every match starts 50/50.

1 hour ago, baldy09 said:

better luck next time binboy

Just now, lake district canary said:

Yes it does, a match starts 0-0 does it not?

Even if you ignore all the many variables such as home advantage, ability and experience of the players and coaches etc, there are three possible outcomes to a match; win, lose or draw. So if you want to adopt the most simplistic and ignorant of approaches to probability, it's still not 50/50.

At least you now accept Liverpool have more chance of winning the league than we do. Anyone win any ability to analyse data knew that before tonight, but at least you can join us now. 

• Like 1

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Even if you ignore all the many variables such as home advantage, ability and experience of the players and coaches etc, there are three possible outcomes to a match; win, lose or draw. So if you want to adopt the most simplistic and ignorant of approaches to probability, it's still not 50/50.

At least you now accept Liverpool have more chance of winning the league than we do. Anyone win any ability to analyse data knew that before tonight, but at least you can join us now. 

Good grief, I'm glad I don't follow stats too much, it's way too dull.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Not everything that's useful in life is exciting LDC. You shouldn't need a millennial to be teaching you this. 

Edited by canarydan23

Overall not too disappointed as we did not give in and kept it together in the second half. Thankfully Pukki soon showed that he has not lost his scoring touch. We have to bear in mind that Hanley is our third choice centre back and it was a bad error, and due to us sticking to our zonal marking Van Dyk's goal was a gift. Why was he not hassled etc by one of our bigger players !!! Krul made some good saves, but we have a big weakness in that if we cannot play out of defence with short balls, then his long balls are easily cut off as we lack height up front. Also it does not work if he plays long high balls out to Lewis and Aarons. Thought Bed Godfrey was outstanding. We will be OK as the name of the game is to take points of the 16 or so also rans and we showed tonight we have the attacking ability to do that. Although we do not have a Plan B to defend and contain neverthless we still managed a good second half.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not everything that's useful in life is exciting LDC. You shouldn't need a millennial to be teaching you this. 

It's football.  I'll enjoy it for what it is not what dry stats "try" and tell me.

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's football.  I'll enjoy it for what it is not what dry stats "try" and tell me.

No, old chap. You'll enjoy it for what you think it is, not what it actually is. 

Perhaps it's cruel my attempting to open your eyes to reality. Much like my kids enjoy Christmas more for their belief in Santa Claus so I do my best to sustain the myth. 

So in that case, yes LDC, every game is 50/50 and we're as likely as Man City to win the Premier League. 

And just as I hope my kids don't resent me for lying about Santa when they're old enough to know, if you ever get the cognitive ability to understand probability then I hope you'll forgive me pandering to your quaint and sweet little perspective.