lake district canary

Settle back, grab a beer, here we go......match thread :-)

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

I can’t believe some of the negativity on here. Losing to Liverpool is not a disaster. The og was one of those things but their third and fourth were dreadful defensive errors. With Zimmerman and Klose out Hanley was the natural choice but he won’t be a regular selection.

I thought we looked very good going forward and caused the European Champions plenty of problems and Teemu took his goal beautifully.

we showed enough tonight to suggest survival is a definite possibility.

Finally, lay off Krul. He was fine and doesn’t deserve the cr@p some on here give him.  

To be fair to the posters on here this is the most positive I have seen it after a heavy loss.

Agree with the rest of your post though.👍

Feeling good and think we should be ok this season, after a little bit of settling in and Farke getting his preferred 11 assembled.

2 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

I think that's harsh on Cantwell, thought he played well tonight.

I don't think he played badly, but I think we need a pacier option on the wing. Cantwell isn't the sort of player to beat a full back, and with Buendia drifting infield from the other flank, I'd like to see a more natural winger on the other.

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich took more shots tonight than any team managed at Anfield last season. 

Good stat, shows the minute between win and losss

Got better the longer we played. Our forward movement was excellent, our young players all came through with credit, some lessons to be learned but we won't face the ability of Liverpool every week. There is enough about us to stay up this season and I'm sure all our players will grow from this experience. Also pleased that we didn't change our approach when 4-0 down and kept playing our natural game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

Got better the longer we played. Our forward movement was excellent, our young players all came through with credit, some lessons to be learned but we won't face the ability of Liverpool every week. There is enough about us to stay up this season and I'm sure all our players will grow from this experience. Also pleased that we didn't change our approach when 4-0 down and kept playing our natural game.

👍👍

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

👍👍

Unexpected love in! Good stuff though. 

Just remember that our season won't be defined by defeat at Liverpool.

Great character shown in the second half against a world class side.

Feelings after the game..

Lewis was really good today, as well as Godfrey. Aarons was lost today in first half against Origi and Robertson, but on second half he found totally new level (maybe also getting more help from Buendia).  Hanley just does not seem premier level. 

There was always danger when Pukki had ball, like it would be all the same fog him if its Liverpool or Brentford. Emi didnt really get that well in game. His pass to Pukki was excellent though. Decided to fall to ground in couple challenges which caused Pool to get dangerous attacks. Maybe still recovering and expect much more from him in future.

Cantwell was okay. Some mistakes but very industrious. I think he could have real breakthrough this season.

And Leitner.. hoped him to start and in future he has to. Took the game in control.

All in all, I guessed before game that it'd be 4-1 or 5-1. Was sure that we will get chances but also as sure that we will make mistakes thag cost many goals.

Positive game, think we will be doing well against most teams!

Can be proud of the performance, especially 2nd half and certainly within the context of the game. If we play like that every week, we'll be fine. Yes, we'll ship some goals. Yes, we'll probably get hammered a few times by the top teams.

But we'll do it our way, with an exciting brand of football and a load of young developing players. 

OTBC

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

All credit to the youngsters and the experience wont be lost. Some of the old duffers on here could learn a thing or two....

😉

Overall not disappointed. We grew into the game and after some silly gifts in some ways looked the more dangerous side. Leitner was the difference. After his injection we calmed down. Wish he'd started. Onel I thought gave us something extra too.

Hanley, not the start he wanted but was better as the whole team was once we had Leitner. 

I think we will learn quickly and actually this lesson bodes well for the future.

Many positives, especially going forward and a couple of their goals had fairly lucky bounces which on another occasion might have fallen our way. 

Slightly concerned about Van Dijk’s goal - only because Lewis was marking him. Why didn’t we have one of our centre backs marking their best header of the ball instead of the full back? That’s pretty basic and is an organisation/lack of preparation issue, which is far more worrying than Van Dijk actually winning the header (which he may have done against our centre halves anyway as he is a beast).

We’ve got a tough first five games so I hope we don’t get too disheartened if we ship 3 plus in a couple more of those games, and hope we carry on playing how we play even if a few of the big boys put 3 or 4 past us in the next couple of weeks.

I thought we held our own well. I was hoping that when I turned on the game that we didn't look like a different team from last year, and we didn't. There were glimpses of fluid ball movement and ball control. Pukki looked himself and comfortable. I'm in the States so the bar I was in was 75% Liverpool fans, 23%"soccer" fans, 1% ManU fan (my friend) and then me. After Pukki's third chance in I had LFC fans asking me "How much?". He will be just fine this season.

Clearly the defense is the trouble now. With multiple CBs out, a defensive midfield yet to gel and an unlimited attacking front I believe we'll be just fine.

I think we should be very encouraged moving forward and other clubs will take notice.

Before the game I had posted I thought our team would settle down as:

Fahrmann   

Zimmermann   Amadou  Godfrey 

Aarons                                        Lewis 

Leitner 

Buendia    Cantwell      Roberts 

Pukki

Subs: Krull, Byram, Klose, Vrancic, McLean, Hernandez, Drmic

I may change my mind about the goalkeeper ... super game from Krul and Godfrey, but the midfield of McLean and Trybull just not up to the quality needed for me, and the sooner Hanley can go back to 4th choice CB the better IMO for our PL hopes.

Edited by Surfer

Not a lot of mention of Onel. He looks just as quick and even stronger. He may be a problem for clubs down the road.

Cantwell looks like he's 12 going on 24. I love his game. May not be enough this year, but he will be a long time cog to our machine.

Cheers to Norwich City today. I'm very pleased.

I was surprised he didn't play Hernandez or Roberts from the start. Cantwell played exceptionally well.McLean and Trybull just didn't work so I can see a defensive midfield of Leitner and Amadou. MOM for me was Godfrey.They must try and sort out their throw-ins,they are frankly rubbish.

For me it has to be Leitner and Agadoo in midfield going forward - Trybull and Kenny didn't really impose themselves on the game and we looked much better when Mo came on.

I don't know if Stiepermann is fully fit he seemed a little bit lost at times tonight and didn't look quite there in preseason either. The two chances he fluffed were also out of character - last season he'd have at least made the keeper make a save I feel.

Cantwell and Buendia looked sharp in attack with some really neat passing and movement and anyone who said Pukki won't cut it in the prem needs to STFU. He caused the Liverpool defence (one of the best in the world) problems and could have had another goal at least.

Hanley had a poor night and from DF's comments about defenders being injured I think it's pretty clear he won't be playing him again unless he has to.

Main positives for me were how the youngsters grew into the game, particularly Aarons and Lewis who were given a hard time in the first half by Liverpool's wide players but got better as the game went on.

I watched on Sky and I think Neville and even Carragher were genuinely surprised at the quality of some of our attacking play. Klopp was also very complimentary but that's always easy when you've won 4-1.

Liverpool will put 4 goals past better teams than us this season (9 times in the league last season, oh and Barcelona) so there's no shame in a heavy defeat I'm just so pleased we were able to play our style and create chances.

No matter the result, tonight was proof that even away from home against the very best sides we will have periods during the game where we dominate and can play our football, create chances and score goals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

For me it has to be Leitner and Agadoo in midfield going forward - Trybull and Kenny didn't really impose themselves on the game and we looked much better when Mo came on.

I don't know if Stiepermann is fully fit he seemed a little bit lost at times tonight and didn't look quite there in preseason either. The two chances he fluffed were also out of character - last season he'd have at least made the keeper make a save I feel.

Cantwell and Buendia looked sharp in attack with some really neat passing and movement and anyone who said Pukki won't cut it in the prem needs to STFU. He caused the Liverpool defence (one of the best in the world) problems and could have had another goal at least.

Hanley had a poor night and from DF's comments about defenders being injured I think it's pretty clear he won't be playing him again unless he has to.

Main positives for me were how the youngsters grew into the game, particularly Aarons and Lewis who were given a hard time in the first half by Liverpool's wide players but got better as the game went on.

I watched on Sky and I think Neville and even Carragher were genuinely surprised at the quality of some of our attacking play. Klopp was also very complimentary but that's always easy when you've won 4-1.

Liverpool will put 4 goals past better teams than us this season (9 times in the league last season, oh and Barcelona) so there's no shame in a heavy defeat I'm just so pleased we were able to play our style and create chances.

No matter the result, tonight was proof that even away from home against the very best sides we will have periods during the game where we dominate and can play our football, create chances and score goals.

I would add that at 4:0 before half time I feared a double digit defeat. But no, we dug in, learnt our lessons including Farke and were hugely better after Leitner came on. That shows real character and resilience. Feel sorry for Hanley although not entirely his fault but that's professional football. A lot of positives tonight.

47 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Just remember that our season won't be defined by defeat at Liverpool.

But any realist will accept the fact that Klopp at H/T instructed his players to take the foot off the gas, Ricardo -- Liverpool followed their instructions and we were allowed to play a bit and got a goal.

Our players knew they were being given relief - it was in their body language.

Go watch that second-half again. 

2 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I appreciate it is Liverpool, but that was incredibly disappointing. Some of those goals were very soft. Particularly the 2nd and 3rd.

Hopefully we can put a statement performance out in the second half. If we concede goals like we did in the first half for the rest of the season, we are down.

Post of the day for me, the season is 45 minutes old and we're relegated already. Get a grip

• Like 1

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Post of the day for me, the season is 45 minutes old and we're relegated already. Get a grip

Because we haven't signed quality defenders the only way we're going to compete is if we utilise Aarons & Lewis where they would be most effective as wing-backs in an attacking 5-3-2 or 5-4-1  - In a 5-3-2 the three preferred centre-backs would be Zimmerman, Klose & Godfrey with Buendia, Agadoo & Hernandez midfield and Pukki & Dermic upfront.

These are formations best suited to the current squad of players we have.

Hopefully, we'll at last sign quality defenders in January to aid our cause.

Edited by Jools

4 minutes ago, Jools said:

Because we haven't signed quality defenders the only way we're going to compete is if we utilise Aarons & Lewis where they would be most effective as wing-backs in a 5-3-2  - The three preferred centre-backs would be Zimmerman, Klose & Godfrey with Buendia, Agadoo & Hernandez midfield and Pukki & Dermic upfront.

That's a formation best suited to the current squad of players we have.

Hopefully, we'll at last sign quality defenders in January to aid our cause.

We haven't signed 'quality defenders' because we don't have the budget. The rest is open for discussion. 

Hanley was shocking today but he not play competitive game almost 8 9 months and never played with Godfrey as pair centre back.

Any way we look very sharp in attack and very fragile in defence.

Newcastle kill us under Alex Neil and this ruin the team confidence  few years ago so without doubt we must be much more conservative against 3 4 teams as man city spurs liverpool ....

We easy can concede many more if Liverpool not think is game over and have UEFA super cup game next midweek.

Its quite naive to go and play against top 3 team in Europe like a heavyweight boxer in 12 round as loosing by pts and try to make lucky punch lol.

was end to end first 30 minutes and attack for attack never can be end good against world class players imo.

They are too confident at Anfield and so much class in attack so to be naive and give them end to end 30 min and so many space against our very young defence is suicide.

Quite sure we will be much more balanced with 2 3 players back to start 11 but still we must reduced against world class teams this quite open play.

Still quite sure against average teams we will be very competitive  but of course we need to keep confidence and not to broke good morale with run of bad results.

sorry for my English but was quite emotional game and is hard to stop to write who is never best idea when never learn English on school.

at the end quite impressive by all young players today as still cant believe Godfrey and Max is still our players lol amazing future for them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Hanley was shocking today but he not play competitive game almost 8 9 months and never played with Godfrey as pair centre back.

Any way we look very sharp in attack and very fragile in defence.

Newcastle kill us under Alex Neil and this ruin the team confidence  few years ago so without doubt we must be much more conservative against 3 4 teams as man city spurs liverpool ....

We easy can concede many more if Liverpool not think is game over and have UEFA super cup game next midweek.

Its quite naive to go and play against top 3 team in Europe like a heavyweight boxer in 12 round as loosing by pts and try to make lucky punch lol.

was end to end first 30 minutes and attack for attack never can be end good against world class players imo.

They are too confident at Anfield and so much class in attack so to be naive and give them end to end 30 min and so many space against our very young defence is suicide.

Quite sure we will be much more balanced with 2 3 players back to start 11 but still we must reduced against world class teams this quite open play.

Still quite sure against average teams we will be very competitive  but of course we need to keep confidence and not to broke good morale with run of bad results.

sorry for my English but was quite emotional game and is hard to stop to write who is never best idea when never learn English on school.

at the end quite impressive by all young players today as still cant believe Godfrey and Max is still our players lol amazing future for them!

Credit where due Boris, your posts make more sense than a lot on here, language barrier or otherwise. 

27 minutes ago, Jools said:

But any realist will accept the fact that Klopp at H/T instructed his players to take the foot off the gas, Ricardo -- Liverpool followed their instructions and we were allowed to play a bit and got a goal.

Our players knew they were being given relief - it was in their body language.

Go watch that second-half again. 

Yeah right, managers always tell their players to stop playing at half-time in the premier league. 

I was was at the match but needed a beer and a moment to get my breath before reading through this. As expected, the - shall we call them more negative - posters have crawled out from under the rocks they’ve been using to hide for the best part of a season. They’re already noticeably less noisy as this thread rolls on.

My immediate thoughts - Hanley might have had a mare but he’s the best CB we currently have to partner Godfrey. Slagging him off gets us nowhere, we know he’ll be behind Zimbo and Klose once they’re fit. You could see he was crushed by the first goal and that probably didn’t help his subsequent performance, BUT he grew into the game. Let’s cut him a bit of slack and see if he carries on improving? 

Lots more more I could say, but the one that sticks in my mind is - as someone has said, WTF are we doing at throw ins? Under pressure and we end up giving the ball away as often as not, but when the opposition have one, we just let them keep possession. It needs to improve.

And Leitner is back. Nuff said.

• Like 2