lake district canary

Settle back, grab a beer, here we go......match thread :-)

I’ll happily take the positives out of that, we looked very good going forwards and in many ways were our own worst enemy’s with the own goal and two poor defensive moments. Can’t understand why Lewis was on Van ****!? Put it down to a quality of opposition that we won’t face every week and naivety that can be ironed out

Edited by JF
  • Like 2

Actually quite encouraged by that. Caused them problems and can't be suprised by their ruthlessness. So pleased by our style of play too. Took players on and created decent chances against the champions of Europe.

always disappointing to lose but my optimism for this season has actually improved after that second half.

Baptism by fire, but adjusted quickly.

Defence going to be a big problem; Hanley not up to it - but going forward we caused the team with the best defensive record last season a lot of problems.

For me, Leitner has to start. Transformed the match when he came on.

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich took more shots tonight than any team managed at Anfield last season. 

Amazing stat

1 minute ago, JF said:

Really! Van **** name is blocked!!!

The famous actor **** Van **** really struggles on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't want to sound like I'm making scapegoats, but I think there were four Norwich players out there tonight who won't start many more games this season, and probably won't play next week (depending on Klose's fitness). 

We've got talented players waiting in the wings, and I think we'll be OK once we find strongest starting eleven.

You're not scapegoating, be interesting to hear who you think the 4 players are?  Would I be far off in guessing Hanley, McLean and Trybull.  Not sure about the 4th player???

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't want to sound like I'm making scapegoats, but I think there were four Norwich players out there tonight who won't start many more games this season, and probably won't play next week (depending on Klose's fitness). 

We've got talented players waiting in the wings, and I think we'll be OK once we find strongest starting eleven.

Are you going to name the 4? I think only 2 had total stinkers. Leitner just laid down a gauntlet and claimed his place. What a difference he made 

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Excellent second half. Transformed the vibe of this game. Lots of positives here and that attack will cause problems to the negative cloggers in this league 

Fantastic display. Could have crumbled. Young players looked prem quality, play like that over the season and we will survive. Godfrey is king with Aaron's his prince, Lewis is the sorcerer. 

Krul was excellent tonight and should keep his place.  Fahrmann has not impressed much in my view and may take time to settle, so it's good to see Krul on form.  

My only dislike is the zonal marking. Liverpool sussed it and turned it against us. Second half we pushed them further back at set pieces.

And we know, and it isn't his fault, that Hanley is not a PL defender. He is slow I'm afraid. Godfrey must be worth a lot of money after a performance like that. And I don't understand the criticism of Aarons. 

We will not go down with performances like that. Well done chaps. The result was not good but the performance was one to be pleased with and build on. We made Liverpool look poor at times because we threw men forward. We just suffered at the other end from our ambition but if we had defended with all 11 we probably would still have lost.

I can’t believe some of the negativity on here. Losing to Liverpool is not a disaster. The og was one of those things but their third and fourth were dreadful defensive errors. With Zimmerman and Klose out Hanley was the natural choice but he won’t be a regular selection.

I thought we looked very good going forward and caused the European Champions plenty of problems and Teemu took his goal beautifully.

we showed enough tonight to suggest survival is a definite possibility.

Finally, lay off Krul. He was fine and doesn’t deserve the cr@p some on here give him.  

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Poor might be a touch harsh but he's not been great. Godfrey on the other hand has been excellent.

Disagree but, I think he was class

Never been happier with a 3-goal defeat. So much to be proud of tonight.

• Thanks 1

Plenty to be encouraged with there. I'm very confident this group will learn from their mistakes. And they didn't crumple at half time. 

2 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I can’t believe some of the negativity on here. Losing to Liverpool is not a disaster. The og was one of those things but their third and fourth were dreadful defensive errors. With Zimmerman and Klose out Hanley was the natural choice but he won’t be a regular selection.

I thought we looked very good going forward and caused the European Champions plenty of problems and Teemu took his goal beautifully.

we showed enough tonight to suggest survival is a definite possibility.

Finally, lay off Krul. He was fine and doesn’t deserve the cr@p some on here give him.  

I thought Hanley looked much better in the second half and grew into the game. 

Edited by paul moy

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Cantwell. Klose, Amadou, Leitner and Hernandez/Roberts to come in. 

I think that's harsh on Cantwell, thought he played well tonight.

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich took more shots tonight than any team managed at Anfield last season. 

Yes. There is plenty to be encouraged about from that 

We were done a few times with bad off-side decisions, especially the Hernandez one. It appears that VAR was not working as the linesman kept putting his flag up immediately which is a no no with VAR. 

• Like 1

Whilst we can be critical of Hanley, we could be critical of not spending a little bit more on a decent loan or another defender knowing we had a serious injury to Zimmermann and Klose has been fragile all last season.

Just end on a positive what a fantastic display by Godfrey, Lewis & Aarons, great saves by Krul too.