lake district canary

Settle back, grab a beer, here we go......match thread :-)

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Every time we are promoted we seem to ignore the obvious weakness. 

This- I ran a thread on it a week or two back. We went up and fans could see we needed a striker and waited till Jan to get Ashton. Then we needed a CB and waited too late before getting Klose...and now...a very frugal summer but an obvious issue at the back. 

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No-one thought it would be easy. The championship certainly wasn't easy and neither will this be, but we have shown signs we can play at this level tonight and once at full strength and up to speed, we will give a good account of ourselves this season.

You said we'd finish 4th...

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Every time we are promoted we seem to ignore the obvious weakness. 

Defence - and has been the last four to five seasons.

Liverpool drew two games at home last season....and won the rest.

It’s not even one point dropped tonight.

We are set up to be very open. 

It could easily have been 2-2 at one point but we didn't take our chances and gifted 2 goals. 

I hope we don't get embarrassed. Liverpool blow a lot of sides away but can now only rest 2 outfield players. 

If we learn from this. If DF learns from this it won't be in vain. 

I

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

i think it is the Midfield letting the Defence down ( ok not Hanley ) No protection we have looked good going forward but we need a Enforcer protecting the CB's cutting balls out to the forwards , Zimmo and godfrey CB'S for me they did so well last season Midfield well we might as well have the mayor of Norwich in there instead of Mclean 

We hopefully have that player to come in and Zimmerman will strengthen that as well. 

I really do begin to wonder what some people were expecting.

This is Liverpool at Anfield which is a million miles away from Leeds at Ellend Road.

In the long run it's just one half of one game.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

What would you change about the team selection?

Look at the bench! There lies the answer. Leitner, Vrancic and Hernandez for a start. We did not need a hiding and r getting one. As Neville says, not good for a young side! Trybull and Aaron’s are awful tonight and we r totally outclassed and naive in everything defensively, you simply cannot hope that playing how you did last season and a wee bit gung ho will suffice at this level. It won’t. A lesson learnt one can only hope. 

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I give up with some of these moaners. For the first 25 minutes we out possessed them and created more chances. Three bad decisions at the back is the difference.

No matter how you try and dress it up, 4-0 at half time is in fact the difference.

Liverpool have looked almost perfect going forward and our defending has been dreadful. Hanley at fault for 2 of 4 goals. What the logic is with Lewis on Van  Dijk I will never know. But going forward we have looked very good. 

This was always going to be a baptism of fire so we need to stick to our guns which I feel sure Farke will.

There are only two changes that can be made at the back - Hanley and Krul.

We either change tactics or beef up the midfield.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

We needed another defender Nutty, the youngsters look ok, Hanley as captain hasn’t done himself any favours tonight, he needs to improve, move from that penalty spot and organise that defence & midfield.

Apart from the defending We’ve looked very good against the best team in Europe!

We have two defenders injured. They both would have been in before Hanley.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

The comparison from Neville, with Huddersfield made me cringe

Pretty much everything you've said on here tonight makes me feel the same. Good to see you again, it's been a while. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, City 2nd said:

Look at the bench! There lies the answer. Leitner, Vrancic and Hernandez for a start. 

For who? Do you honestly think any of those three stop us conceding?

Farke has to hold his hands up tonight. It's tactically naive to go to the European champions and not adapt our approach. Our defensive play as a collective has been suicidal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Liverpool conceded 7 shots on average per game last season, even less at Anfield. Norwich had 8 in the first half. 

Norwich will be a bit like Bournemouth this season. On the end of some beatings, but will also score goals. Hopefully enough goals to beat the teams Norwich really need to beat. 

Careful Bethnal, we will have none of this kind of sensible posting on this forum......

Technological problem! Call it off and call it a draw 😂

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Look at the bench! There lies the answer. Leitner, Vrancic and Hernandez for a start. We did not need a hiding and r getting one. As Neville says, not good for a young side! Trybull and Aaron’s are awful tonight and we r totally outclassed and naive in everything defensively, you simply cannot hope that playing how you did last season and a wee bit gung ho will suffice at this level. It won’t. A lesson learnt one can only hope. 

^^THIS!!!^^

Just now, Il Pirata said:

Farke has to hold his hands up tonight. It's tactically naive to go to the European champions and not adapt our approach. Our defensive play as a collective has been suicidal. 

Easy to say in hindsight. Chances are we would've been battered anyway, and then he would've been criticised for changing our attacking instincts and not creating anything.

Just now, king canary said:

I do actually. I think we'd have better control of possession. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Well the current three didn’t!! We are losing the game in central midfield. Trybull is supposed to be defensive midfield!!

Playing with confidence was so important for the younger players last year, this result  could be pretty damaging for sometime if they lose that. They haven’t been helped by the supposedly defensive midfielders but also Farke who I guess is responsible for asking Lewis to man mark VVD at set pieces... honestly it’s a mis-match that could of been avoided and should of been avoided

Just now, sonyc said:

Wonder what the half time team talk was?

Sabotage the officials equipped 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Easy to say in hindsight. Chances are we would've been battered anyway, and then he would've been criticised for changing our attacking instincts and not creating anything.

True.. but look at last season. We often struggled without either Vrancic or Hernandez in the side.