lake district canary

Settle back, grab a beer, here we go......match thread :-)

Well all I will say is we won't play Liverpool every week and we won't play Hanley every week either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JF said:

I think most people realised we were going to take some hidings this season.

There were certainly a few who didn't think we had anything to worry about defensively.

Was always going to be a tough game. Some positives with the chances created. Poor defending though. Hanley just isn't prem quality. Not sure how you can blame Krul for any. 

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

FFS they've only had 5 shots and scored 4. ALways thought this young defence would struggle. Yes we're going to have plenty of chances, but this defence is going to struggle most games (& it's the same defence that let so many soft goals in last season.

Let's hope Liverpool take foot off in second half. We need to survive this game some how and Newcastle is a different ball game altogether 

It’s the only defender with premiership experience that’s letting us down with his lack of movement and his understanding of marking players in the box....

V harsh scoreline, but at the end of the day the game is about scoring goals.

If there’s one lesson to learn it’s that  we certainly need a hell of a lot more solidity away from home.

Edited by Branston Pickle

7 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Who the f*** is playing defensive midfield? Cos trybull isn’t in it.

At least he's actually done something, I'm struggling to see McLean do ANYTHING, at first I thought the teamsheet was incorrect because he's been THAT absent I wasn't aware he was on the pitch ffs...

• Like 1

Not the worst result. Class side Liverpool. We show signs of class, Cantwell, Godfrey. Ingore tonight good lesson learnt. Stronger we go

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No-one thought it would be easy. The championship certainly wasn't easy and neither will this be, but we have shown signs we can play at this level tonight and once at full strength and up to speed, we will give a good account of ourselves this season.

But you predicted we would be top six lakey- changing your tune? And what signs have we shown having scored zero and conceded 4 in a half 

Going forward, we haven't played that badly. If the attacking players combine like this every match, we should do enough to stay up.

The defence, however.... I think we maybe buried our heads in the sand a little bit over the summer. Obviously we won't play Liverpool every week, but three of those goals were the result of dreadful defending.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Think this is something of a wake up call for those who thought the step up from Championship to Premier League would be easy with our style of football. 

And quite the step up it is too. Champions of Europe and beat Barcelona 4-0 on their way there. No one likes a hammering but it was always going to be a possibility. I can take this one much easier than the 4-0 at Millwall two year ago.

• Like 1

Well that was disappointing. First 30 minutes I actually thought we were the better side. Delighted with the amount of chances we created, but Liverpool are teaching us a bit of a lesson. They're 4-0 up without even having to try. Naive defending thoroughly exposed. You have to say it is our approach. Perhaps we need to accept we cant be this naive against a top side.

When Pukki finds his shooting boots I dont think we'll struggle to score goals (as long as we can remain confident), but we need to adapt. Quickly

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

But you predicted we would be top six lakey- changing your tune? And what signs have we shown having scored zero and conceded 4 in a half 

I won't change my tune, this is the first game of the season - and against possibly the strongest team in the league.

So what are you going to do. Persevere with the youngsters allowing them to become PL players or ditch them at the first hiding?

Farke will hold his nerve. And as for bootsie giving it large with I told you sos, he did the same thing last season and does it every season. 

• Like 1

1st goal is just unlucky from Hanley, most times that would be hoofed clear.

2nd goal they got lucky with the pinball effect and of course when Salah is the recipient you're in trouble.

3rd and 4th were just poor marking.

We can't forget that Liverpool were fantastic last season, have world class players and that it was ALWAYS going to be a bloody tough start to the season. We just need to keep the score respectable and maybe get 1-2 back if vaguely possible and not hammer the players for struggling against a side of this quality.

Our tremendous advantage over our rivals is that we've only got one more half to play at Anfield, they've got a whole game to worry about.

• Haha 1

Has there been any other occasion in which a newly promoted team had to play the European champions away in their first game back in the top flight? And if so how did they get on?

2 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Playing someone just because they are from Dereham isn’t a winning strategy in the premier league 

3 changes at halftime please 

He’s played really well. You’re either a sad wum or the village idiot, which is it? 

Liverpool conceded 7 shots on average per game last season, even less at Anfield. Norwich had 8 in the first half. 

Norwich will be a bit like Bournemouth this season. On the end of some beatings, but will also score goals. Hopefully enough goals to beat the teams Norwich really need to beat. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

So what are you going to do. Persevere with the youngsters allowing them to become PL players or ditch them at the first hiding?

Farke will hold his nerve. And as for bootsie giving it large with I told you sos, he did the same thing last season and does it every season. 

The lads will learn from this, and improve. 

i think it is the Midfield letting the Defence down ( ok not Hanley ) No protection we have looked good going forward but we need a Enforcer protecting the CB's cutting balls out to the forwards , Zimmo and godfrey CB'S for me they did so well last season Midfield well we might as well have the mayor of Norwich in there instead of Mclean 

• Like 1

I give up with some of these moaners. For the first 25 minutes we out possessed them and created more chances. Three bad decisions at the back is the difference.

• Like 2

The score is disappointing but we will learn. Tom T is being hounded out too easily, Grant Hanley is not our best CB but two injuries haven't helped in this respect. And we missed a great early chance, maybe two. Just hope now we battle to keep the second half level.

I appreciate it is Liverpool, but that was incredibly disappointing. Some of those goals were very soft. Particularly the 2nd and 3rd.

Hopefully we can put a statement performance out in the second half. If we concede goals like we did in the first half for the rest of the season, we are down.

Just now, Jobsworth Canary said:

Good player, don't be a cnut. Playing against top team. Don't like putting down for scapegoats sake. You a probably a an Ipswich fan on the wind up, if not stop. These  lads are  superb history will tell.

We needed another defender Nutty, the youngsters look ok, Hanley as captain hasn’t done himself any favours tonight, he needs to improve, move from that penalty spot and organise that defence & midfield.

Apart from the defending We’ve looked very good against the best team in Europe!

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

You stick to your principles are the things you've been working on for the last two years. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater because of one match would be lunacy.

• Like 1