WD40

Alexis Claude-Maurice

Lot of bruised feelings on here just because a footballer didn't want to uproot himself and face the risk of relegation. He made a choice and that choice was based on how attarctive we are as a club and how much we were offering. He doesn't owe us anything, and we don't owe hime anything, that is just football

• Like 1

I had concerns about stabiity last season, my old seat in the City stand threatened to give way, now with my brand new seat the question mark over stabilty has gone.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

A lot of sour grapes on here. Realistically, he'll have little idea who we are or how we did what we did last season. If he reads much of what the pundits have to say, he'll think there's a good chance we'll be relegated at the end of the season. So his concern about stability is fair enough.

Agreed.

Someone above mentioned Alderweireld, who after ‘turning us down’ went on to win the league and play in a Champions league final with Atlético Madrid (albeit as a rotation player) and has then gone on to play regular top flight and European football with Spurs. During the same period, we’ve had one season in the top flight I think.

Best for everyone - if he doesn’t buy into us at this stage then fair enough but probably best for us too that we found that out now rather than in January when he started making noises about a move elsewhere if we’re struggling rather than rolling up his sleeves and getting stuck in.

Fair comments NS, Aggy, it’s definitely better all round if he doesn’t see us as a step in the right direction.

ACM smacks as a player who may have started to believe his own hype - but has yet to prove it at the top level. Think it's a bullet dodged - and with his attitude even if he did come and did tolerably well he'd be straight off to the next 'bigger' club to come along.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

ACM smacks as a player who may have started to believe his own hype - but has yet to prove it at the top level. Think it's a bullet dodged - and with his attitude even if he did come and did tolerably well he'd be straight off to the next 'bigger' club to come along.

**** me, the amateur psychology on here based off a player apparently not wanting to move to Norwich is something else. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

**** me, the amateur psychology on here based off a player apparently not wanting to move to Norwich is something else. 

yeh but we are Norwich fans so we're probably a bit biased😀

1 minute ago, king canary said:

It's just an opinion - but he thinks it would seem that he's too good for us and for you. He's waiting for something better (in his view) to come along! Yet there is no guarantee, no pedigree, that he will actually meet anybody's expectations! There is many a flop in football - we've had our share! Happy to miss him out.

Note: it’s probable we will renew interest in Jan if he hasn’t moved this window at all so I may need to row back on some of these statements 😂 But I do want to players that want to be here

A lot of people on here defending the player and saying it’s a risk for him to move to a newly promoted club etc etc. How about the risk the club are prepared to take in paying £15 million on a player from France’s 2nd division which is nowhere near the level of the championship and then pay him handsomely, taking the chance that he can actually step up to the level needed. It’s a two way street and I would hope an incoming player had the belief in their own ability to believe they could step up and help the team thrive 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Note: it’s probable we will renew interest in Jan if he hasn’t moved this window at all so I may need to row back on some of these statements 😂 But I do want to players that want to be here

I could agree BUT if we met his criteria - mid table stability - pushing for Europe (as we could be) we'd of likely already out-grown him as a starter - behind Cantwell for instance!  I note he's still there - no other bigger 'PL' took the gamble - and yes there's still Europe for him. Plenty more fish in the sea as they say. Webber got this just right.

22 minutes ago, JF said:

A lot of people on here defending the player and saying it’s a risk for him to move to a newly promoted club etc etc. How about the risk the club are prepared to take in paying £15 million on a player from France’s 2nd division which is nowhere near the level of the championship and then pay him handsomely, taking the chance that he can actually step up to the level needed. It’s a two way street and I would hope an incoming player had the belief in their own ability to believe they could step up and help the team thrive 

One player, no matter how much belief they have in their ability, can keep a club up on their own. I still think he was perfectly entitled to make the decision he’s made, and I can understand why. 

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

One player, no matter how much belief they have in their ability, can keep a club up on their own. I still think he was perfectly entitled to make the decision he’s made, and I can understand why. 

Well I can certainly think of a few who could. But one player can raise the quality enough to make a difference. You don’t believe the success of our season hinges on how well Pukki performs this season then? Had RVW been the player we thought do you think we would have been relegated that season? 

Quite refreshing to see a young player look at the bigger picture and not just jump at the first big pay cheque they get offered.

Not that Norwich was the first big pay cheque on offer for ACM as he turned down West Ham and Arsenal earlier in the window. 

Maybe he’ll regret it, maybe he won’t only time will tell but he seems like he has his head screwed on right and didn’t just listen to the agent pressurising him to move so he could make a quick buck for himself. 

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Quite refreshing to see a young player look at the bigger picture and not just jump at the first big pay cheque they get offered.

Not that Norwich was the first big pay cheque on offer for ACM as he turned down West Ham and Arsenal earlier in the window. 

Maybe he’ll regret it, maybe he won’t only time will tell but he seems like he has his head screwed on right and didn’t just listen to the agent pressurising him to move so he could make a quick buck for himself. 

Given how we’ve developed the reputations and abilities of young players recently maybe it wasn’t such a great move to reject a move here, not to mention that had he came to us he would have been given ample opportunities on the pitch, the same can’t be said for the other two clubs you’ve mentioned 

Edited by JF

Sounds fair enough to me and impossible to know whether he's a prima donna or whatever based on a couple of comments reported in the press.

It would have been a big jump from Ligue 2 to the EPL and he may prefer a move to a stronger European league to show what he can do before looking at bigger English clubs in the future. I know a lot of Arsenal fans weren't thrilled when they were linked to him given the level he plays at.

I was surprised we were willing to pay that much for him but it goes to show that the club has got a bit of money to spend despite Webber doing his best to lower expectations. A big risk but just the sort of player we should be looking at with bags of potential to improve in ability and value.

1 hour ago, JF said:

Well I can certainly think of a few who could. But one player can raise the quality enough to make a difference. You don’t believe the success of our season hinges on how well Pukki performs this season then? Had RVW been the player we thought do you think we would have been relegated that season? 

Of course Pukki is important but that isn’t what I’m saying. Pukki won’t make our season without the rest of the team playing at their best as well.