WD40

Alexis Claude-Maurice

Reports in a French paper apparently come out he rejected Norwich because the “the club couldn’t provide the stability” he needs. Well, doesn’t that just sum up his character! Sounds like he has a very weak mentality, and something of an ego on him.

I would consider this a bullet dodged. Imagine the moaning on here if we paid a club record £15m on ANOTHER player that failed to pull their weight.

No question he is a talent and will most likely reach the top level, but not the right fit for now.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/09/do-report-shares-why-alexis-claude-maurice-snubbed-15m-norwich-m/

Not losing any sleep over a player that 3 days ago I’d never heard of. If this is true then we haven’t missed out on much

Agree with the sentiment on here, I’d rather give Idah the chance up top, we’ve got enough cover on the wings too.

Typical ego footballer of the modern game.......better off without than someone to sour the great team spirit.

He probably feels if he hangs around he might get a Prem club with a higher probability of staying up. I guess when you hear that Arsenal might have been interested in you at the start of the season it's hard to come to terms with moving to Norwich!

• Like 1

If the player thinks he can get a better move, then that is fair enough imo. I suspect he will get a decent move to a top division club this window.

I am just glad we are not bending over backwards to convince players who don't want to join, to join. That is how you end up with players like Naismith on expensive long contracts.

It's a perfectly reasonable argument from his career perspective.

I seem to remember some on here making the exact same argument for why Pritchard shouldn't go to Huddersfield in fact.

• Like 3

I wouldn't get too salty about this. Toby Alderweireld rejected us and then went onto mess Southampton about and has been fairly disruptive at spurs.

Players that come out with reasons like this tend to have no loyalty.

Edited by Chelm Canary

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's a perfectly reasonable argument from his career perspective.

I seem to remember some on here making the exact same argument for why Pritchard shouldn't go to Huddersfield in fact.

Was there much interest in him from "safer" clubs?

• Like 1

I just wanted to comment - while it’s fresh in the memory - that the move not going through was probably the best thing for all parties. So let’s not get into a place a couple of months from now where we are saying ‘if only ACM signed’.

Im backing the boys that are here - that want to be here - to do the business!

Not going to slam him myself, it’s only a newspaper report and such things can be wildly inaccurate.

49 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

What you never have.......is what you'll never miss.......That's just me being syphilisophical...... 

I've never missed not having Syphilis either. In fact i'm ok with not having it ever.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I've never missed not having Syphilis either. In fact i'm ok with not having it ever.

Is he  Brazilian?

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I can have my initials on my briefcase........Val Doonican unfortunately, couldn't......

Better him being up front and saying he didn't fancy a move here now rather than deciding it was something he didn't want after he'd signed on the dotted line.

He's cost us very little compared to what our outlay might have been if he'd come for the money and then not bothered to put much of a shift in. And we've had a few of those.

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

What you never have.......is what you'll never miss.......That's just me being syphilisophical...... 

Worried about your autocorrect Mello, and what you have historically typed............

A lot of sour grapes on here. Realistically, he'll have little idea who we are or how we did what we did last season. If he reads much of what the pundits have to say, he'll think there's a good chance we'll be relegated at the end of the season. So his concern about stability is fair enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JF said:

Not losing any sleep over a player that 3 days ago I’d never heard of. If this is true then we haven’t missed out on much

I wonder how many out of our promotion squad, the likes of Trybull, Zimmermann, Stiepermann, Hernandez, Vrancic and Buendia, and perhaps even Leitner and Pukki,, you had heard about before we got linked with them...

4 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Worried about your autocorrect Mello, and what you have historically typed............

I do struggle with teknerology and t'internet.....I sometimes don't know if I'm gone or here?.....

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

A lot of sour grapes on here. Realistically, he'll have little idea who we are or how we did what we did last season. If he reads much of what the pundits have to say, he'll think there's a good chance we'll be relegated at the end of the season. So his concern about stability is fair enough.

Well said 👍

29 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe, but think it’s an indication of the players character he doesnt care for the fight. 

You don’t get to the point of a tabled (accepted?) bid if the player hadn’t shown some interest. He knew what we were about before So we’ve been messed around a bit here. Like I say I think it’s probably in the interests of all

I do think it says something about the player, in that he'd rather stick at Lorient in Ligue 2 than play for us in the Prem, even if we were to go down, he'd have had the chance to showcase his ability and prove he can perform at the top level.

Think he'd rather impress against much weaker opposition than test himself against genuinely good players...

I'm delighted with this outcome.

The whole deal would have gone against much of Webber's creed about spending big and would have also been a bit of a sleight upon our current stars.

That there is a hint, that's all, that he might also be a bit ahead of himself would also go against our team ethic. We didn't build on our current success by relying on the likes of this player.There's ambition and there's big headedness.

For sure, he might be a big star in the making (among a million others apparently,) but you cannot win them all.

9 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I do think it says something about the player, in that he'd rather stick at Lorient in Ligue 2 than play for us in the Prem, even if we were to go down, he'd have had the chance to showcase his ability and prove he can perform at the top level.

Think he'd rather impress against much weaker opposition than test himself against genuinely good players...

I doubt he wants to do that. The French, German and Spanish transfer windows stay open until the end of the month, and a while ago he set his sights on Borussia MG. Whether that is aiming too high I don't know, but it speaks to his ambition.

The problem he has, though, is that his club has already turned down an offer of 12m euros from Rennes (Ligue 1) and supposedly we offered, or mooted, a few million euros more.

So he may get stuck at Lorient for at least half a season not because he wants to but because no club that he wants to go to will match what we or West Ham or whoever have already offered.