Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Crouchy!

Peter Crouch has seen us play, he knows his stuff. 😀

NORWICH

CROUCHY'S VERDICT - 14th

I can imagine many people have them down as prime contenders for relegation. It’s never easy for teams coming up from the Championship but, before you write them off, let me tell you what I know about them.

I sat on the bench at Carrow Road last season when I was at Stoke and watched Norwich play like a Premier League team. They are fast, they pass the ball with confidence and they are dangerous. I couldn’t believe how good they were — they ended up as deserved champions.

Daniel Farke is a good manager and they are coming to catch teams out and it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if they stay up. Brighton and Newcastle will be in their sights.

MANAGER: Daniel Farke - German defied expectations to take Norwich to the Championship title last term. If he can lead Norwich to survival, Farke will be a man in demand.

KEY MAN: Teemu Pukki - 29 goals in 43 games en route to the Championship title last season suggests the Finland striker can make the step up. Norwich will need him to if they are going to avoid a season of struggle.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Peter Crouch has seen us play, he knows his stuff. 😀

NORWICH

CROUCHY'S VERDICT - 14th

I can imagine many people have them down as prime contenders for relegation. It’s never easy for teams coming up from the Championship but, before you write them off, let me tell you what I know about them.

I sat on the bench at Carrow Road last season when I was at Stoke and watched Norwich play like a Premier League team. They are fast, they pass the ball with confidence and they are dangerous. I couldn’t believe how good they were — they ended up as deserved champions.

Daniel Farke is a good manager and they are coming to catch teams out and it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if they stay up. Brighton and Newcastle will be in their sights.

MANAGER: Daniel Farke - German defied expectations to take Norwich to the Championship title last term. If he can lead Norwich to survival, Farke will be a man in demand.

KEY MAN: Teemu Pukki - 29 goals in 43 games en route to the Championship title last season suggests the Finland striker can make the step up. Norwich will need him to if they are going to avoid a season of struggle.

It seemed for a moment Crouch had left us out entirely, but it transpired either Crouch or the Mail thought alphabetically we came above Newcastle United.😀 And what Crouch doesn't mention is that we only drew that game...

A shame he wasn't on the Robbie Savage show on 5 Live this morning. Savage, Scholes and a journalist all tipped us and Sheffield United for relegation but thought Villa would survive. I hope our players were listening. 

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A shame he wasn't on the Robbie Savage show on 5 Live this morning. Savage, Scholes and a journalist all tipped us and Sheffield United for relegation but thought Villa would survive. I hope our players were listening. 

As the OP said, he's seen us play, I doubt Savage, Scholes etc. have.

• Like 1

The thing is, most pundits and commentators won't have seen Norwich play. He is basing his opinion on what he saw on the pitch rather than the usual lazy assumptions about us being lucky last season and not having spent any money.

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It seemed for a moment Crouch had left us out entirely, but it transpired either Crouch or the Mail thought alphabetically we came above Newcastle United.😀And what Crouch doesn't mention is that we only drew that game...

Actually we lost it Purple!

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Actually we lost it Purple!

I was assuming he meant the  2-2 at the end of the season. It was the 0-1 at Carrow Road?:classic_love::classic_love::classic_love:

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was assuming he meant the  2-2 at the end of the season. It was the 0-1 at Carrow Road?:classic_love::classic_love::classic_love:

Yep - there's a clue - it's when Crouch says: "I sat on the bench at Carrow Road last season..." 😉😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yep - there's a clue - it's when Crouch says: "I sat on the bench at Carrow Road last season..." 😉😉 

Lol those little giveaways.... I’d like your post but I’m out of reactions apparently!!!

Speaking of pundits spouting the usual crap, it's no surprise that even in day 1 of Mark Lawrenson's match predictions, he believes that of the 3 teams who went up, Norwich will struggle the most. Well who'd have thought it?!

As above but when has Lawro ever been right about anything

I will be at Anfield for this one, and I am expecting Liverpool to win.

They have got the Super Cup on Wednesday but I am expecting Jurgen Klopp to pick a strong side, and start with his regular front three even though Sadio Mane only came back to training this week.

Like any promoted team, Norwich's problem is not so much whether they will concede goals - which I think they will - it is whether they will get enough goals to be competitive.

We know how well Teemu Pukki did in the Championship, but will he score enough in the Premier League? I don't think so - I don't think he will get 10 league goals this season.

The Canaries will be full of running in this game, but I just don't see them causing Liverpool many problems. Of the three promoted teams, I think they are going to have the toughest time of it over the next few months.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

6 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

They have got the Super Cup on Wednesday but I am expecting Jurgen Klopp to pick a strong side, and start with his regular front three even though Sadio Mane only came back to training this week.

Like any promoted team, Norwich's problem is not so much whether they will concede goals - which I think they will - it is whether they will get enough goals to be competitive.

We know how well Teemu Pukki did in the Championship, but will he score enough in the Premier League? I don't think so - I don't think he will get 10 league goals this season.

The Canaries will be full of running in this game, but I just don't see them causing Liverpool many problems. Of the three promoted teams, I think they are going to have the toughest time of it over the next few months.

To be fair to Lawrenson on this one, he’s saying that he doesn’t think Pukki will get ten goals and therefore we’ll struggle. If Pukki doesn’t get ten goals, I also think we’ll struggle. That doesn’t mean all the pressure is on Pukki (we’ll need to create the opportunities for him) but we will concede goals and last season Pukki being on absolute fire was a large part of why we got ahead in games and stayed ahead. He’ll get fewer chances this year - if he can convert at a similar percentage as last season then we’ll be fine. If not, we will struggle badly imo.

I was going to post Lawro’s comments but decided not to on the grounds that they were annoying.  I guess he only goes for 2-0, for which we ought to be ‘grateful’!

Tbh there is a huge lack of insight that pervades punditry nowadays - surely they are paid to know at least something about sides/do a bit of homework on them, but that seems a bit too much for many and if it doesn’t fit ‘what they know’ then it’s no good.  

That’s not to say it won’t be tough and we may well find scoring freely a lot trickier, and we may well be relegated.  But many have blindly written us off purely based on a perceived lack of spend and nothing more, which is ridiculous.

Lawrenson's expert analysis is based on what? How many times was he at CR last season?

Has he ever said anything complimentary about us?

His claim that Pukki will fail to score 10 this season is based on all the usual 'soundbites'... less chances against better defenses. I remember Grant Holt, who'd never played in the Premier League, scored 17(ish) under similar circumstances. 

33 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

To be fair football is a funny old game. The experts see that Villa have spent £130 million and we have spent £1m however unless I have missed something we have signed a group of players with champions league experience and they have mainly signed the best championship players. Also most of our players were worthless when we signed them or promoted them from the academy. If we had got promoted through the play offs with a group of loan players and then built this squad from signing them now after they had played elsewhere last year as well as they had ie Teemu Pukki 29 goals for Leeds, Aaron’s best young Championship player, Beundia most creative championship player ect it would have cost us more than £130 m. 

As I say football is an unpredictable game, although Norwich losing at Anfield ( undefeated at home for 40 games ) is one of the easier predictions in the world. Last year this time weren’t you predicting we would be kicking off last week in league 1 with our clueless manager ?

Looking forward to the next 2 seasons, who knows where we will be playing next year but if it’s the Premiership we will strengthen further, if it is the Championship we will probably be about 2/1 favourites to win it.

I'd be surprised if there were two goals or fewer tonight. We won't go there to defend and we all know what Liverpool are like in attack. 

Also, everyone's talking about Pukki being the main man, the star, the most important etc. but for me, he isn't. That man, for me, is most certainly Emi Buendia.

Don't mind what Lawrensen say's about us but f*ck me he's boring and predictable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd be surprised if there were two goals or fewer tonight. We won't go there to defend and we all know what Liverpool are like in attack. 

Also, everyone's talking about Pukki being the main man, the star, the most important etc. but for me, he isn't. That man, for me, is most certainly Emi Buendia.

I would agree re Buendia and also the fullbacks/way we use them.

Pukki’s goal tally this year for me is more indicative of how the whole team play. If the whole team plays well and creates chances, then Pukki should get double figures and we’ll likely stay up. If Pukki doesn’t get double figures, that will more likely be because we haven’t created enough chances for him. He puts the ball in the net but there are players equally or more important behind him.

Edited by Aggy

pay great heed, and note down what they say

as most will need a fair amount of lubricant next May

....................................when their words are shoved back up from whence they came 😯

To be fair I wouldn't expect most pundits to have seen us play much and to also be fair having us down as relegation candidates is also not unreasonable because I think the jury remains out on whether we can tighten up defensively enough to keep teams at bay in the premier league.

Informed pundits will I think likely point to our leaky defence as the biggest issue (rather than the lazy query as to whether we will score enough) but I suspect those who watched us a lot last season (such as Liam Rosenior for sky) will be backing us for the drop as much as those who cover solely the top tier.

Sorry that should will NOT be backing us for the drop as much.

Crouch's comments are a little ironic actually in that I would cite that Stoke game as an example of why we could go down despite playing very well for long chunks of the season. A game we dominated, had chances in but then fell behind after a defensive error . I can see that happening quite a lot this season too (save for substitute clinical finish for defensive error).

I actually think that Villa will finish below both us and Sheff Utd.

I just think Villa's  mahoosive personnel overhaul will struggle to make a consistent enough impact.. 

Why a lot of pundits think that we will finish below both Sheff Utd and Villa is beyond me. They just haven't done their homework on us. It's going to be par for the course I guess. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Okay okay. Look, I was only halfway through my first mug of coffee, all right?:classic_love::classic_love::classic_love:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Savage is a plonker 

There's no getting away from the fact that this season is going to be unbelievably difficult. There's every chance that we will get tonked tonight and I have little doubt that we will be on the receiving end of several heavy defeats during the course of the season, and periods of 3 or 4 defeats in a row. If fans aren't realistic about that then the expectations will be too high and that is always a dangerous thing. 

But we've given ourselves the best chance to be successful by rewarding and retaining the players who got us up last year and adding bits and pieces of quality. What the pundits don't recognise is that we were streets ahead of Aston Villa last season and ahead of Sheffield Utd too. Villa have had to spend a fortune to try to catch up. We already had the quality in the door - we have £130m in talent in Buendia, Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Pukki but we were clever enough to sign them or develop them cheaply.

Whatever happens this season, the club is now in good hands and has built a basis to be a top championship club and/or established PL club in the years to come.

• Like 1

Well it's a Friday night game......Pubbing......then clubbing......hopefully not after a drubbing......

As long as we don't capitulate and tonight we give a good account of ourselves - I don't give a festering fig what the 'experts' thoughts are regarding us......

In context, how many teams took points off Liverpool at Anfield last season? Their last competitive game was becoming the Champions of Europe for crying out loud. How many neutrals think we are going to get tonked tonight? Loads I would imagine. But...........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I hoped they may have asked Frank Lampard (s Chelsea)his opinion, probably knowing more about us than the rest of them put together.