Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Player ratings: Burnley

So, three points off the play-offs! Now where are all those posts from people saying how we were definitely getting relegated and so on, and worthy is leading us into league one etc. Due to late trains and various other things I got to my seat a minute into the game, so I hope I didnt miss too much.

Green - 7 - Didnt have too much to do. Could be argued that he was too far off his line for the goal, but that may be a bit harsh. Dealt with crosses etc well.

Drury - 8 - Looked solid at the back. tackled well and won a lot of balls in the air.

Fleming - 7 - Again looked decent, I think the spell on the sidelines has done him good. He is no longer pointing his finger at other players as he used too, which is nice.

Doc - 8 - Another good performance, didnt give Ade much to work with. We can all laugh at him, but you cant argue with the fact he is top scorer in the division.

Colin - 6 - Ok. But im worried that he gets forward a bit too much and leaves us vulnerable.

Safri - 7 - Was alright, won the ball back well, and wasnt afraid to get stuck in. Played a good pass for Charlie''s goal. Not as influential as previous games. Booked again, a pretty needless challenge too as another defender was about to win the ball back. 

Robbo - 7 - Not too bad. As I said in the last ratings, we could get him in. He isnt quality, but would add some much-needed depth.

Charlie - 7 - Another decent performance. Passed ok, and tackled well. Took his goal well.

Hucks - 7/8 - Did well in patches, scored a very good goal. And he linked up with the other two up front well. However still the same niggles. Didnt get back very much, was a bit lazy at times. And chose the wrong option a few too many times again (One that springs most to mind was just before Burnley''s goal, he had the ball in space on the left wing, instead of crossing it into the box - Where we had two players pretty much open - he cut inside, which was ok given his goal, but then tried a fancy backheel which went straight to a burnley player.). However another good performance, he is getting back to terrorizing defences again, no doubt aided by WLY taking defenders away.

WLY - 8 - Another good game, Im pleased he is finally getting a good run. Linked up well with Deano, and ran at players well. Chased the ball all the time, lots of energy.

Deano - 7 - Held the ball up well. Had some good touches, his passing and first touch has improved dramatically over the season. His radar was a bit off today though.

Subs

Leon - 7 - Ran about. Had a good chance which he should have buried from hucks cross. And he had another shot saved and cleared off the line, although hucks was arguably in a better position. Made a key block from a Burnley shot as well.

MOTM - Drury for me. A solid performance.

Broadly agree Trent.

I was disappointed with Huckerby more than you were. Leon did very well just to reach Huckerby''s pass and injured himself in the effort, it also drew a good save; Drury is back to good form, no doubt aided by Charlie who started off like a train and was positive throughout. For me though the outstanding player, again, was ''The Doc'' and I hope he appreciated The Barclay''s ''There''s only one Ginger Pele.''

And as for Colin. His passing was atrocious. Technically he is poor which surprises me for a ''continental'' player and he still doesn''t get forward anything like enough. If Louis-Jean could get over the longest running hamstring strain in football history he is surely guaranteed the right back spot even if he is only average.

Mostly agree, but my ratings are:

Green 7 - not a lot to do.

Drury 9 - flawless performance

Flem 8 - solid

Ginger Pele 9 - absolutely controlled Akinbiyi - Prem player

Colin 5 - looked like our weak link (like their number 5)

Saf 7 - good solid performance

Robbo 6 - bit of a spectator at times

Charlie 8 - good performance and great goal

Hucks 8 - back to his old self at times

Mc Veigh 9 first half/7 second half

Deano 9 - awesome yet ago - the boy must stay

Green      7         Had nothing to do, couldnt stop the goal, good in the air for a change

Colin       6         Nothing special, but didn''t do much wrong

Drury      7/8     Very good, playing like he was 2 years ago. Crucial tackles, nothing got past him.

Doherty   8/9      Akinbye didn''t have a sniff   MOM

Fleming      8       His great form continues, burnley didnt create anything.

charlton   7/8        Good goal, great 1st half, quite second half like most

Robinson   6         Weakest player in the midfield, but not dreadful

Safri           8         He''s here, he''s there, he''s evry bloody where, Yousouf. Dynamic display

Hucks         8        Good goal, good 1st half and released pressure despite losing it a bit in the 2nd.#

Ashton         7/8    Not obviously good, but set up hucks and was sorely missed when he went off.

Mcveigh        8      Alot of greta touches, unlucky not to score

Mckenzie     6      Alot of running, but little end product

Etuhu            6      Didnt do much

Worthy         7      Weird changes, but got most things right

And there was me thinking people were going to whinge because I praised the DOC after how he dealt with Ade. It was only Ade after all according to some people...   God last time I was at Carrow road before uni Fleming and the Doc were The devil and Satan combined, what gives?!

Just about Robinson, I thought he had a better game than Southampton. Didnt think he was too bad on the ball. Does anyone agree we should get him to add depth? Or is he a no-starter? My macken housemate sorely wants rid of him, so we can make him happy at the same time!

Trent,

I tried to make a point of watching Robinson more last night and to be honest he does have the Gerrard economy of movement and a similar physique but there it ends. He must be doing something right I suppose and his positioning looked good at times. I wasn''t impressed with him but at the same time for reasons I cannot quite put my finger on I would like to see him given more time and opportunity.

I think Robbo is ok but disappears during games, and for a fairly tall bloke is not great in the air. Despite being a bit of a gamble I would prefer trying to entice someone like Greg Halford from Colchester who seems to play a similar role to Robbo.

talk about over enthusiastic ratings dicky....  did you go home at half time???

The second half performance was dubious at best, and when deano went off it was worse.  credit to the defense for hardly giving burnley a sniff.

also i would have liked to have seen the ball head to the corner flag more often with 5 minutes to go. the number of times a break away was thwarted by burnly and they were back in our half was painful to watch in those final minutes.

great win!!

Green - 7 - Defence was strong enough to keep him covered for the whole game nearly, saved everything he had to, did well on crosses and kick outs were pretty good too, conceeding the goal was quite harsh, could have done nothing about that

Drury - 8 - Looked posative and very solid at the back, let nothing past him

Fleming - 7 - .Looked good, a slightly weaker link than i think Shackell would be, but still performed well

Doc - 9 - MOM!!!!!!!! Again doherty was winning absolutely everything in the air at the back, and every tackle he had to make was superb, kept both strikers quiet and has player of the season award wrapped up already for me!

Colin - 6 - Did ok, seems a bit week behind tackles, gets caught out now and again, have seen him do better 

Safri - 7 - Not the best of safri, but still gets the job done, the midfield man certainly makes a big difference to the side, needlessly booked 

Robbo - 6 - Most of the time distant and hard to notice he was actually on the pitch...... obviously isnt a right winger and doesnt get stuck in enough really for me, needs to start getting some crosses in and working with colin at right back, the right side seems very faint and distant.

Charlie - 8 - Another great performance, not so great second half but still player well, good goal and he has definately earnt his place in the side for a long time to come..

Hucks - 7 - not his best game, and at times very lazy, took his goal well but failed to make an impact for me, got to be one of the worst games ive seen him play probably especially second half he seemed like he just couldnt be bothered to run, he wouldnt go on the outside and beat his man, instead he would cut inside and pass, he needs to get the crosses in from the byline......

WLY - 8 - Some of his first touches are amazing, he is simply magic and can create something out of nothing, was unlucky on several occasions not to score, linked up well with deano and played another good game.

Deano - 7 - Another decent game, didnt get as much joy in the air as i would have liked, but still played well holding it up and flicking and laying it off, his pass to huckerby for his goal was superb, we simply have to kee him

Subs

Leon - 7 - For the 20 or so minutes he was on, he looked impressive, was nice to see him back, but didnt look the same player he was before his injury thou, looked less fit i suppose as if he didnt have it in him, came close with both of his chances, and then unluckily got injured, unlucky not to have scored from the huckerby cross, the goalkeeper did well to save it

MOTM - Doherty, also player of the season for me so far

talk about over enthusiastic ratings dicky....  did you go home at half time???

The second half performance was dubious at best, and when deano went off it was worse.  credit to the defense for hardly giving burnley a sniff.

also i would have liked to have seen the ball head to the corner flag more often with 5 minutes to go. the number of times a break away was thwarted by burnly and they were back in our half was painful to watch in those final minutes.

great win!!

No I didn''t go home at half time - got back just before 3 o''clock in the morning, thanks.

The second half perfomance was not dubious - we battled well and could (should?) easily have had a couple of extra goals.

Just a thought - you ever happy with anything?

[quote user="breaker"]I think Robbo is ok but disappears during games, and for a fairly tall bloke is not great in the air. Despite being a bit of a gamble I would prefer trying to entice someone like Greg Halford from Colchester who seems to play a similar role to Robbo.[/quote]robbo looks the biz left side midfield working with drury and hucks - when he played there against soton he was not flashy but backed people up superbly.  he won''t look so good playing on the other side as against sheffield and last night through.

A few odd points there. Safri was is our most influential player on the team, how he only played "alright" is unbelievable imo. I''m very worried about Jurgen Colin, he simply didn''t look comfortable on the ball. In Holland the play is slower, but over here its at a high tempo, and he finds himself running out of time and just hoofing the ball at times.

McVeigh was awesome, could kill a ball on a sixpence as the saying goes. Exceptional workrate as well.

A big congratulations to the defence. Drury got in there (was exposed when Charlie was off injured), Doherty kept Akinbiyi under wraps all night, and Flem did a good job too.

Charlton had a good game, even without his goal. Robinson did a job without excelling, some wasteful passes at times. I get the feeling that he was playing for his future at the club out there. If we could get him for 250k he would be a useful addition to the squad

Green, 7. Colin, 5. Doherty, 8. Fleming, 7. Drury, 7. Huckerby, 7. Robinson, 6. Safri, 8. Charlton, 8. Mcveigh, 9*. Ashton, 7.

[quote user="Robbo007"]

A few odd points there. Safri was is our most influential player on the team, how he only played "alright" is unbelievable imo. [/quote]

Well in my last ratings I gave him a 10, choosing him over Deano for MOTM. So I recognize how influential he is. Just didnt think he was as influential last night. Besides you only give him one higher mark than me, so not a huge difference!

A good performance split excellent from the off which tailed off as the game wnt on.  Only criticisims were that Colin was left with no out player far too often leaving him no option but to launch a hopeless ball, that the back four sat far too deep too quickly but other than that the back 4 were excellent.  As expected the 3 man midfield did lose ground quite regularly and need to do what Burnely did and defend further up the pitch - Burnley had no one with Hux pace so we could have defended further up quite comfortably.

Green - Starting to command his box again - no chance with their fluke goal    7

Colin - Not a fave of mine but did nothing wrong and no worse than Wright 6

Fleming - Played well in solid back 4 - want him further up field though 6

Doc - Inspiring - solid committed and in control  8 & MOTM

Drury - Very good all round - nearly motm  8

Safri - Broke up play well but a bit off colour with passing - alive to charlie run for the goal  6

Robinson - This bloke grows on me, v quiet but superb touch & passes well - just what we have been missing  6

Charlie - Everywhere in the first 25 mins - seemed to fade but did well out of position. 6

Zipper - as ever when played but front was lively and inventive; worked hard too 7

Ashton - Boy did we miss him when he went off - led the line well and link up play with Zipper excellent 7

Huckerby - So dangerous all night - poor choices worthy? no more than at any time since he appeared for the club on loan so why start moaning now??? but would burnley rather we did not have him - you bet!  7

Bring on the Foxes...

OTBC

Sorry Trent, I just thought he was alot better than alright.

Going to be an interesting one for player of the season for once, with 4 or 5 good candidates. Doherty is the one for me, incredible transformation of a "donkey" of a player, to an absolute rock. Safri would probably be front runner if he played all the games, but a return to form of Hucks, the little man, and Ashton (based on him staying), could see it go to anyone

I thought that Colin was a liability at times and it''s a position that we need to sort out. Robinson was just about OK - was caught ball-watching a number of times when we were defending. The Doc was excellent again and Flem had another good game. Saffs gave the ball away too easily on a occasions but generally his passing was excellent.

Charlie and WLYP were very good and Ashton was superb in the first half.  

A good performance split excellent from the off which tailed off as the game wnt on.  Only criticisims were that Colin was left with no out player far too often leaving him no option but to launch a hopeless ball, that the back four sat far too deep too quickly but other than that the back 4 were excellent.  As expected the 3 man midfield did lose ground quite regularly and need to do what Burnely did and defend further up the pitch - Burnley had no one with Hux pace so we could have defended further up quite comfortably.

Fair point about Colin Zip, I have probably been a little harsh in my opinion of his distribution.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Only criticisims were that Colin was left with no out player far too often leaving him no option but to launch a hopeless ball[/quote]

I felt a bit sorry for jurgen,at times he stood there with the ball at his feet and had no options for a pass where as drury always had charlton and huckerby as an outlet.

[quote user="elma fudd"]

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Only criticisims were that Colin was left with no out player far too often leaving him no option but to launch a hopeless ball[/quote]

I felt a bit sorry for jurgen,at times he stood there with the ball at his feet and had no options for a pass where as drury always had charlton and huckerby as an outlet.

[/quote]

Yep, tis a good point. Naturally Hucks hugs the left wing, and WLY is a little more central. So he didnt have much help.

Also 0/10 for Greeno''s thermos flask, ya big jessie..

I thought Colin looked more up for it on Wed than in any previous home game. He''s got some pace and was far more willing to go forward than in earlier games. Am happy to see him keep his position pro tem.

Agree Drury let little or nothing through in defence, but he''s so poor in his general distribution, having won the ball. Also, he needs 3 taps of the ball before distributing.  Check it out next game; we all do a countdown in the Jarrold stand when he has the ball....  IMO, that''s why he looked so dinstinctly ordinary last season; you need to be more comfortable with your first or, at most, your second touch of the ball in the Premership. If, by a miracle, we get through the play-offs, Drury will have to be replaced, sadly.

Doc yet again MOTM for me, despite some good stuff from Charlie, Hucks and WLY. The man simply stands up to anything/one, had effectively a 100% record in the air, and covered literally acres on Wed.