XI for Liverpool

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Still think I will go for -

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis

Trybull, Leitner

Hernandez, Stiepermann, Buendi

Pukki

Had this before the press conference as a starting 11. No doubts or worries for me on Hanley. Onel and Emi to terrorize the L'Pool defence with pace and shine before the cameras on the biggest world stage. Stiepermann to give physicality, links well with Pukki, causes chaos and can also defend! Onel and Emi know they have to tackle back and double up with Lewis and Aarons!

Leitner for me although equally happy with McLean.

Main concern at the back - subs - no obvious CB or even CDM if we needed one. Byram / Heisse I guess and just possibly Amadou as a surprise? 

I expect Onel, Emi etc. to run themselves into the ground - to be replaced by Cantwell and Roberts - who need to do the same!  

Take the game to L'Pool - their defence is suspect! -Hopefully Pukki packed his shooting boots and Leitner/McLean need to be strong and Trybull immense!

Fortune favours the brave. This is it!

(But green & yellow...)

996A80E6-C3B0-43C5-A186-509FD347CAB8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'd start this team except Cantwell for Hernandez. 

As an aside it may be interesting to guess which new signing gets a league start first. Maybe Amadou?

I'd like to see Cantwell play too but just thought Hernandez raw pace and strength might help carry us up the pitch when under pressure.

Krul

Aarons      Hanley        Godfrey         Lewis

Trybull.       Leitner 

Buendia.       Steipi.       Roberts

Pukki

• Like 2

Krul

Trybull, Leitner

Buendia, Marco, Hernandez

Pukki

Very tough on Fahrmann who I believe will be number 1 during the season. But Krul has an understanding with the defensive group.

The player who I feel that needs to perform is Marco, he needs to be excellent defensively and drop deeper to help our midfield when we are out of possession in our half.

I can see McLean coming in if things are beginning to slip away for Marco and have a more traditional 4-5-1

If things are going well and we are in the game then Roberts and Cantwell should get some time. 

10 minutes ago, smooth said:

Krul

Trybull, Leitner

Pukki

This.

Hanley concerns me, his actual defending is fine but In my opinion he is not technically good enough for the style of football we play. His passing is not good and he is much more likely to give the ball away in dangerous areas.

I'm guessing the bench will be: Fahrmann, Heisse, Byram, McClean, Vrancic, Roberts, Drmic (but I would personally not have Byram and have Cantwell instead).

16 minutes ago, smooth said:

Krul

Trybull, Leitner

Pukki

Very tough on Fahrmann who I believe will be number 1 during the season. But Krul has an understanding with the defensive group.

The player who I feel that needs to perform is Marco, he needs to be excellent defensively and drop deeper to help our midfield when we are out of possession in our half.

I can see McLean coming in if things are beginning to slip away for Marco and have a more traditional 4-5-1

If things are going well and we are in the game then Roberts and Cantwell should get some time. 

Our undoing against Atalanta was giving away possession with loose passing. The press will be intense against Liverpool we need to do our best not to lose the ball when we’re overcommitted up front. But they know that!

Decisions, decisions….. have to be proud that DF and SW have created such dilemmas….. This is a squad we could never have anticipated having when we started at St Andrews last term. 

Krul to start although that may have been different if Fahrmann had looked comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Defence speaks for itself, but it would be wise to have a centre-half on the bench, U23 or Amadou.  Byram is the only other option.

Leitner or McLean, Leitner keeps the ball better and that will be crucial… McLean is better in the air but the ball is likely to be on the deck…. Whoever plays, we should not be too concerned but I’d go with MO.    

It’s between Buendia, Hernandez, Steipermann, Cantwell and Roberts.   Vrancic hasn’t had enough game time I suspect.      Buendia is the certainty.    Steipermann offers height and an out ball although he will be up against Fabinho, Van Dijk and Matip / Gomez so we’d need to keep it on the deck ourselves.   Could he frighten that lot?    Steipermann is prone to giving possession away too often which leaves us susceptible to the counter. 

Hernandez offers pace and Cantwell is high on confidence although this will be a big stage.    I reckon he’s up for it and offers more movement and understand the need to track back.     Roberts has been exceptional in pre-season but he wasn’t involved last year so should start sub.   

Krul

Trybull, Leitner

Cantwell, Buendia, Hernandez

Pukki

Subs…. Fahrmann, Byram, Amadou, Vrancic, Steiperman, Roberts and Drmic…

1 - 2, 3 points, top of the league (again) …. OTBC

4 hours ago, Ramrod said:

I thought Hanley looked better than Klose in the last two friendlies. 

Stop talking the man down he looks in the shape of his life. 

It’s not talking the man down it’s waiting to see if he can justify his place, if he can all well and good, we shall see but like everyone else tomorrow night he’ll get the full support of every Norwich fan wanting him to do well so we turn Liverpool over!

We all entitled to our opinions, hopefully he’ll prove me totally wrong, look forward to eating my words as it’ll mean we did well.

• Like 1

Klose will be lucky to play more than 12 times this season. 

If he does it will be because his body holds up. 

Yes but he’s not first choice is he? Zimmermann back ASAP to build on his partnership with a Godfrey!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Klose will be lucky to play more than 12 times this season. 

If he does it will be because his body holds up. 

Is he your first choice if fit?

Krul

Trybull.       McClean. 

Buendia.       Steipi.       Hernandez

Pukki.

Harsh on Leitner and Vrancic but I feel McClean has a bit more physicality about him which could be important tomorrow night, hence why he gets my nod.

And as much as I think Roberts is the real deal, Hernandez has to start imo

• Like 1

Oh, I misunderstood the thread title and thought Liverpool were making the deadline day signing of Wu Xi. A strange move for all concerned, I thought.

21 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Krul

Trybull.       McClean. 

Buendia.       Steipi.       Hernandez

Pukki.

Harsh on Leitner and Vrancic but I feel McClean has a bit more physicality about him which could be important tomorrow night, hence why he gets my nod.

And as much as I think Roberts is the real deal, Hernandez has to start imo

Harsh on everyone if McLean plays, we need to keep the ball and pass it well, a McLean style basketball game will result in a basketball type score against us.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

It’s not talking the man down it’s waiting to see if he can justify his place, if he can all well and good, we shall see but like everyone else tomorrow night he’ll get the full support of every Norwich fan wanting him to do well so we turn Liverpool over!

We all entitled to our opinions, hopefully he’ll prove me totally wrong, look forward to eating my words as it’ll mean we did well.

Saying “If Hanley plays I can see us conceding 4” seems like talking him down to me.

I think Godfrey is better alongside a centre back with aerial ability and in that more old fashioned mould! Klose definitely looked quite rusty in the limited game time he had in pre season. Understandable considering his ongoing injury problems. Hanley in his first season with us was our most consistent centre back. Let's give him a chance..

12 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Saying “If Hanley plays I can see us conceding 4” seems like talking him down to me.

Yes and we’ll see! I stand by that, like if Raggett played I’d say I could see us conceding 5 or 6! Just because I don’t rate him as good as our other defenders isn’t talking him down just noting he’s not at this level!

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Is he your first choice if fit?

Who plays alongside Godfrey?

If the other 3 are fit I don't care who Farke selects. 

The only thing about Timm is he hasn't had a run in the side for a long time. And neither has Grant but Grant looks fitter and determined, Timm looks rusty and a bit fragile. 

Wasn’t there talk of Farke & Webber try to offload Hanley to Blackburn only for Hanley wanting to stay and fight for a place in the squad? If true then surely even they question his ability at this level? 

45 minutes ago, Indy said:

Wasn’t there talk of Farke & Webber try to offload Hanley to Blackburn only for Hanley wanting to stay and fight for a place in the squad? If true then surely even they question his ability at this level? 

Blackburn thought they could get Hanley,  an ex player so made an approach. 

Thank god we didn't sell or loan Hanley. It would have been nice to have got through pre season without injuries but that never seems to be the Norwich way or luck.

We need players to cover the ground and harass to win the ball back. 

Hernandez does this much better than Roberts who needs to improve in this area. 

I'm not sure how well KM does this but Cantwell does it well and covers a lot of ground. 

Most other regulars fit the bill. 

Todd might be a surprise inclusion. He is confident and in form. 

The big question for me is: who plays alongside Trybull in the pineapple pushing tree shaking position? 

18 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hanley and Godfrey are going to have their work cut out! Godfreys going to have to cover with pace more often than not - hopefully we don't find ourselves out of position and shape too often.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Trybull McLean

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki

Roberts to make an appearance for Buendia. Vrancic and Leitner both unlucky to miss out but with Amadou not ready, Mclean is the closest we have to another 'engine' in midfield.

McLean an engine? Last season he gave the ball away and made little effort to chase back

11 hours ago, Indy said:

Yes , I heard/read this too...but we need him due to injuries and we have to give him the chance to prove himself. There will be a lot of good crosses coming in ... so his aerial ability will be needed. I am not a very big fan of Hanley and I would've liked a new signing at CB. But he's part of NCFC this season so I will be backing him all the way. Come on you Yellows!!!

• Like 1

Same team that got us over the line last year with Hanley replacing Zimmerman obviously. The only tough decision is Leitner or McLean. McLean doesn't deserve to be dropped and our results have been great with him in the team, he's also had a good pre season. But, given we're light on defensive players it would make more sense to play Leitner to help control possession. I'm glad I don't have to make this decision and would be happy to see either player start. 

You could also maybe make a case for Roberts over Hernandez but for the sake of cohesion and defensive shape I'd pick Hernandez for the early weeks even though Roberts has been bright in pre season.

Buendia, Stiepermann and Pukki must start together as their understanding and link up play is extraordinary and will cause problems for any defence in this league. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Indy said:

Yes and we’ll see! I stand by that, like if Raggett played I’d say I could see us conceding 5 or 6! Just because I don’t rate him as good as our other defenders isn’t talking him down just noting he’s not at this level!

You can't say, if him or him plays we'll lose (or win) by 5 or 6.    Don't know if you've noticed but WE are a team.     14 players any one match... and they will get each other through it.

Yes, this was exactly my view for starting XI. After that we see how it goes! - Christoph Steipermann

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Same team that got us over the line last year with Hanley replacing Zimmerman obviously. The only tough decision is Leitner or McLean. McLean doesn't deserve to be dropped and our results have been great with him in the team, he's also had a good pre season. But, given we're light on defensive players it would make more sense to play Leitner to help control possession. I'm glad I don't have to make this decision and would be happy to see either player start. 

You could also maybe make a case for Roberts over Hernandez but for the sake of cohesion and defensive shape I'd pick Hernandez for the early weeks even though Roberts has been bright in pre season.

Buendia, Stiepermann and Pukki must start together as their understanding and link up play is extraordinary and will cause problems for any defence in this league. 

Toulouse game was a good example of the difference between playing McLean or Leitner in that position. 

It was also like a microcosm of last season. 

First half McLean chasing back and making last ditch tackles, game was 50/50.

Second half,  Leitner looks after the ball, we're suddenly all over it, hardly needing to defend at all. 

Yes I know that Toulouse ain't liverpool but the pattern was there last season too. 

For thd record, I think McLean is an attacking midfielder, it's where he's played in his career, we're not seeing his best playing next to Trybull. The only concern is why Farke doesn't seem to rate him further forward.

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

For thd record, I think McLean is an attacking midfielder, it's where he's played in his career, we're not seeing his best playing next to Trybull. The only concern is why Farke doesn't seem to rate him further forward.

There wasn't really space last season. Stiepermann had the position nailed down by the time McLean was fit, so there was no way for McLean to force his way in. This season we may see McLean play further forward at times, but I'd rather Vrancic or Cantwell in that role personally because they're more creative in my opinion.