Sign in to follow this  
WD40

XI for Liverpool

Whatever the side tonight I have to say I feel proud and excited for players and a manager who I feel a real supporter connection for. 

We have seen youth and misfits develop and gel, buy into an identity and a style of play. 

We are the renaissance team of English football, cutting from our own cloth, working within our means and, in the Norfolk tradition..... Doing different. 

They will not fold, we don't do 'no shows' under Farke, and they will stick to their principles with enough pace, movement and skill to create highlights. 

If they come up short it won't be for want of trying. 

All I ask for is a fair ref, no injuries and no rabbits in headlights. 

On the Ball City. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

You can't say, if him or him plays we'll lose (or win) by 5 or 6.    Don't know if you've noticed but WE are a team.     14 players any one match... and they will get each other through it.

Yes you can, it’s about opinions, just because I don’t rate Hanley doesn’t make him any worse or any better, but you put your weakest player of four choices in that team he must have his best game or he will be found wanting against three world class forwards!

Additionally there’s only ever 11 players at most on that pitch though we might stand a better chance 😂👍

But I want him to do well I want him to have the game of his life I’d love it if we kept a clean sheet.....he’ll be fully backed tonight by me.....and all City fans.

Edited by Indy

22 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hanley and Godfrey are going to have their work cut out! Godfreys going to have to cover with pace more often than not - hopefully we don't find ourselves out of position and shape too often.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Trybull McLean

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki

Roberts to make an appearance for Buendia. Vrancic and Leitner both unlucky to miss out but with Amadou not ready, Mclean is the closest we have to another 'engine' in midfield.

It seems we only have 2 centre backs today in Ben and Grant. So what if there is an injury, who do we have? Will Jamal move across to cover? Could do with Amadou on the bench

If we play defensive midfielders I don't think we've got any show of keeping Liverpool out for 90 minutes. Our best chance of getting anything from the game is to retain the ball - win the ball & keep hold of it, control the ball & control the game. So it's got to be Leitner partnering Trybull in the centre. If anything happens to Leitner then you bring on Vrancic. Yes they are lightweights in defence, but we play to their skillset and play to our strengths.

I have a sickening feeling that we will see McLean. It was glaringly obvious he was the weak link last season, but DF with a game plan in mind or thinking he was bigger physically continued to play him. If DF picks McLean as a CM tonight it could be done & dusted by the 20 minute mark.  

The other contentious point is goalkeeper - I would play Krul. Uses his area well and insync with the other defenders.

50 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

If we play defensive midfielders I don't think we've got any show of keeping Liverpool out for 90 minutes. Our best chance of getting anything from the game is to retain the ball - win the ball & keep hold of it, control the ball & control the game. So it's got to be Leitner partnering Trybull in the centre. If anything happens to Leitner then you bring on Vrancic. Yes they are lightweights in defence, but we play to their skillset and play to our strengths.

I have a sickening feeling that we will see McLean. It was glaringly obvious he was the weak link last season, but DF with a game plan in mind or thinking he was bigger physically continued to play him. If DF picks McLean as a CM tonight it could be done & dusted by the 20 minute mark.  

The other contentious point is goalkeeper - I would play Krul. Uses his area well and insync with the other defenders.

Harsh on McLean. I prefer both Leitner and Vrancic to him because I think they are both excellent, but, to call McLean a weak link is a bit far. He is a good player and played very well at the end of the season.

I like McLean, I just prefer other options currently albeit that they probably don't offer the same goal threat as McLean. He is certainly a player who is getting better and better & will no doubt play a vital part in the first team this season. My main concern with him is that he's sometimes sloppy on the ball and gives the ball away, something which he is getting better at.

4 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

McLean an engine? Last season he gave the ball away and made little effort to chase back

He had some poor games last season in-between good one's but still think you're being a little harsh.

15 starts, 3 goals, 6 assists. On top of that whilst he's not a great tackler or interceptor I do think he can get round the pitch well. 

Today’s team!

Norwich

• 1Krul
  • 2Aarons
  • 5Hanley
  • 4Godfrey
  • 12Lewis
  • 23McLean
  • 19Trybull
  • 17Buendía
  • 18Stiepermann
  • 14Cantwell
  • 22Pukki

Substitutes

• 3Byram
  • 7Roberts
  • 8Vrancic
  • 10Leitner
  • 11Hernández
  • 20Drmic
  • 21Fährmann

5 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

We have a hard enough task tonight without starting with Cantwell 

unbelievable 

Ffs grow up

4 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

unbelievable 

Yes you are, f king unbelievable.

Agree Todd deserves his chance after an excellent pre-season, bring Onel on later against hopefully tiring defenders.. but I really dont understand why McClean is playing. Surely we need someone who can keep the ball well and take the heat off our defence which is obviously Leitner.. just dont get it at all

1 minute ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

If we take a beating tonight it will sit firmly at the door of team selection and not playing your strongest team 

I knew this muppet would be on here

8 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

unbelievable 

😀

1 minute ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

If we take a beating tonight it will sit firmly at the door of team selection and not playing your strongest team 

If we take a beating tonight it won’t be because Cantwell started the match, it will be because we’ve come up against one of the best teams in the world

2 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

The above poster is a weapons grade bell end

• Like 1

DF “ we are paying for the mistakes of the past”.   mmmm ....an understandably nervy interview from our man on Sky. I do hope we won’t be hearing too much of that this season though

COYY

Cant help but think it isn't our strongest side Farke has put out. Possibly our best prepared, but Vrancic, Leitner and Hernandez are big players for us and its a shame at least two of them are not starting. Hernandez as an outlet seemed a guarantee to start, but a big chance for Cantwell none the less. 

3 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Cant help but think it isn't our strongest side Farke has put out. Possibly our best prepared, but Vrancic, Leitner and Hernandez are big players for us and its a shame at least two of them are not starting. Hernandez as an outlet seemed a guarantee to start, but a big chance for Cantwell none the less. 

Yeah I’d agree with that and was surprised to see the starting 11 but he’s picked it for a reason 

We've had 3 months to prepare for this. Where's the official match thread?! 😡

• Haha 1

Just now, Fuzzar said:

We've had 3 months to prepare for this. Where's the official match thread?! 😡

We're paying for the mistakes of our past Fuzzar

• Haha 2

Win this and we will be top of the whole league for the first time since 1992-3 thereabouts !!!!

Why Leitner isn't in the team is beyond me. He will suit the premier league down to a t and instead we start with a bang average Kenny Mclean. 

I don’t like this ‘Sins of the past’ line that’s coming out - decisions were made in good faith and it’s only with hindsight that you can say things were good/bad.

Re the lineup, it’s as good as we could put out given preseason etc - Todd is well worth his place.