Sign in to follow this  
WD40

XI for Liverpool

Klose ruled out, so Hanley it is (thought it was perhaps a little naive to not just play coy)

Team:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Trybull Leitner/McLean

Buendia Stiepi Cantwell/Hernandez

Pukki

That's the one for me (including the options). I think we'll need Ibrahim on the bench as cover for CB. In fact

subs:

Fahrmann

Heise

Amadou

Vrancic

Roberts

(Leitner)

(Cantwell)

Edited by ron obvious

Hanley and Godfrey are going to have their work cut out! Godfreys going to have to cover with pace more often than not - hopefully we don't find ourselves out of position and shape too often.

Krul

Trybull McLean

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki

Roberts to make an appearance for Buendia. Vrancic and Leitner both unlucky to miss out but with Amadou not ready, Mclean is the closest we have to another 'engine' in midfield.

Just now, Indy said:

Is Klose not fit?

If he is Klose in for Hanley.

Confirmed not available.

14 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Klose ruled out, so Hanley it is (thought it was perhaps a little naive to not just play coy)

Team:

Krul

Trybull Leitner/McLean

Buendia Stiepi Cantwell/Hernandez

Pukki

This, with Stieperman and McLean starting.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

****!

Yep pretty much 😂 pacy forwards going to give him a right game. I thought it might have been better not to be so clear that Klose won’t play so Liverpool at least have to prepare for multiple CB pairings, now they know exactly who they’re up against

Tbh I can’t see Liverpool exactly quaking in their boots at whatever cb pairing we put out, but you’d have thought a little less transparency around Klose might be a good idea.

It is a concern though, with Zimbo also out, that we are already looking a little light on options at the back, maybe this is why they mentioned Amadou as being a cb...

5 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Yep pretty much 😂 pacy forwards going to give him a right game. I thought it might have been better not to be so clear that Klose won’t play so Liverpool at least have to prepare for multiple CB pairings, now they know exactly who they’re up against

Ah, but is it a double bluff??  😜

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hanley and Godfrey are going to have their work cut out! Godfreys going to have to cover with pace more often than not - hopefully we don't find ourselves out of position and shape too often.

Krul

Trybull McLean

Pukki

Roberts to make an appearance for Buendia. Vrancic and Leitner both unlucky to miss out but with Amadou not ready, Mclean is the closest we have to another 'engine' in midfield.

This. My biggest doubt is McLean or Leitner, and I also feel Cantwell is unlucky to miss out in place of either Stiepermann or Hernandez, but I'd go with this eleven.

As a curiosity: when was the last time a newly-promoted didn't name a new signing in their side for the opening match?

Reading this post felt Df had given positive news re team for Liverpool, Klose definitely out but rest of selection not given so its speculation.  Let me speculate Roberts will definitely play as Man C man will be encouraged to put one over Liverpool.  As defensive midfield it will be Tom and Moritz.  Emi will play with Marco and Pukki.  According to DF Amadou will not play Tettey injured.

I thought Hanley looked better than Klose in the last two friendlies. 

Stop talking the man down he looks in the shape of his life. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Totally agree with this. Hanley was my first choice with Godfrey for this match.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Trybull  Leitner

Buendia     Cantwell        Roberts

El Pugi

Bit hesitant with Buendia. Has all the quality but did not seem fit yet in last two friendlies.

Think we need Leitner to hold the ball as only defending would be suicide.

Cantwell over Stiepi as we will not win wrestling match any case, so lets keep it cunning and flowing.

Also Roberts has better vision and versability than Hernandez, as dribbling is not best attack option against pool

Edited by hepphep

9 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Krul

Trybull  Leitner

El Pugi

Bit hesitant with Buendia. Has all the quality but did not seem fit yet in last two friendlies.

Cantwell over Stiepi as we will not win wrestling match any case, so lets keep it cunning and flowing.

Also Roberts has better vision and versability than Hernandez, as dribbling is not best attack option against pool

Dont disagree but Robert's needs to tackle back and support Lewis .. who will get the test of his life !

59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

6-5...we're gona win 6-5....we're gona win 6-5...we're gona....

Don't! Do you remember the 4-5? So upsetting.

It’s amazing how touchy some people are about opinions!

Agree, Buendia is probably the first name on the team sheets, his all round game is fantastic. Not only going forward but covers back too.

I’d start with Cantwell on the other side of not then Hernandez both will give their all.

Stiepermann  would be my choice central, as he does drop deal and help the midfield, which will need to be solid.

It’s going to be a game in which we can certainly play football in, I hope we have the courage to get forward and move the ball the way can.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He seemed a bit more lively in the second half against Toulouse, and I think he's too important/good to not play. 

Also the kind of player to thrive on playing at Anfield, in front of the worlds cameras, and show them what he’s about. Bring it on!

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As a curiosity: when was the last time a newly-promoted didn't name a new signing in their side for the opening match?

Not in my footballing memory!

Not only that, naming a centre half that started a handful of games in a lower tier away at the European champions! 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Krul

Trybull McLean

Pukki

I'd start this team except Cantwell for Hernandez. 

As an aside it may be interesting to guess which new signing gets a league start first. Maybe Amadou?

I can't see Amadou getting in the squad yet. Not even on the bench just now. Farke never really rushes new players in.

He may be tempted, but I think this one is a little too early.

1 hour ago, hepphep said:

Krul

Trybull  Leitner

El Pugi

You're almost there, just the obvious errors leaving out Onel and Marco.

Both of them defend better than Todd and Robert's.

They're not too shabby going forward either!

I think Stiepi is key, in that his height etc. is an advantage if having to kick the ball long. Plus, he's a really awkward player with the potential to make something happen and confuse the living daylight out of opposing defenders.

I like Todd, but I don't really want to see him in a central role. He certainly sees himself there and the fact he's played a lot in pre season may point to him being utilised more. But, please, play Marco! I think Cantwell can do a job out a bit wider so he's an option there.

Edited by BobLoz3

Still think I will go for -

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis

Trybull, Leitner

Hernandez, Stiepermann, Buendi

Pukki

Had this before the press conference as a starting 11. No doubts or worries for me on Hanley. Onel and Emi to terrorize the L'Pool defence with pace and shine before the cameras on the biggest world stage. Stiepermann to give physicality, links well with Pukki, causes chaos and can also defend! Onel and Emi know they have to tackle back and double up with Lewis and Aarons!

Leitner for me although equally happy with McLean.

Main concern at the back - subs - no obvious CB or even CDM if we needed one. Byram / Heisse I guess and just possibly Amadou as a surprise? 

I expect Onel, Emi etc. to run themselves into the ground - to be replaced by Cantwell and Roberts - who need to do the same!  

Take the game to L'Pool - their defence is suspect! -Hopefully Pukki packed his shooting boots and Leitner/McLean need to be strong and Trybull immense!

Fortune favours the brave. This is it!

52 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Still think I will go for -

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis

Trybull, Leitner

Hernandez, Stiepermann, Buendi

Pukki

Had this before the press conference as a starting 11. No doubts or worries for me on Hanley. Onel and Emi to terrorize the L'Pool defence with pace and shine before the cameras on the biggest world stage. Stiepermann to give physicality, links well with Pukki, causes chaos and can also defend! Onel and Emi know they have to tackle back and double up with Lewis and Aarons!

Leitner for me although equally happy with McLean.

Main concern at the back - subs - no obvious CB or even CDM if we needed one. Byram / Heisse I guess and just possibly Amadou as a surprise? 

I expect Onel, Emi etc. to run themselves into the ground - to be replaced by Cantwell and Roberts - who need to do the same!  

Take the game to L'Pool - their defence is suspect! -Hopefully Pukki packed his shooting boots and Leitner/McLean need to be strong and Trybull immense!

Fortune favours the brave. This is it!

I agree with that. It's our best team until Agadoo is integrated and Klose is fit.

2 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Well said👍

I hope he has a blinder and stays fit !