Sign in to follow this  
king canary

10 years ago today

I was lower barclay just behind the goal. My other two mates were still on holiday. I came on my own. Stayed for the whole thing. One of those surreal moments where you don't really believe or take in whats happening right in front of you.

I missed the game because I was on holiday. I remember following on the Pinkun live feed with Jonathan Redhead (blast from the past) and not really believing that we were 4-0 in half an hour or whatever it was.

It may sound weird, but I kinda wish I went. It's one of those 'I was there' moments, even though it would've been pretty dreadful at the time.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I missed the game because I was on holiday. I remember following on the Pinkun live feed with Jonathan Redhead (blast from the past) and not really believing that we were 4-0 in half an hour or whatever it was.

It may sound weird, but I kinda wish I went. It's one of those 'I was there' moments, even though it would've been pretty dreadful at the time.

I promise you, you don't 😄

• Haha 1

I can't believe this was 10 years ago. I just remember it being a lovely hot summer's day and I was following the game online. After an unbeaten pre-season this was a result no one expected. It was a strange atmosphere in the city that evening. I think everyone was in shock.

A decade has passed since that 'event'.....Oh my!......Doesn't life fly by........Scary........

I stayed until the end and couldn't believe what I had just witnessed.......but boy,  didn't we get our own back away down at their place.......

I was there to the final whistle, in shock like everyone else. I remember walking back to county hall afterwards the streets were deserted with no traffic whatsoever as so many had (understandably) long gone home!

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, I was glad I went. It was a brilliant occasion....up to the start of the match.  Great pre-season, unbeaten, loads of goals, waves of optimism and a full house at CR teeming with positivity and optimism. But then what followed was as Hogesar said, surreal. I was in the City Stand, just behind the Colchester dug out and it was amazing to see Lambert prancing up and down the touchline berating his players, geeing them up....and they were 5-0 up at the time......in hindsight, given the way things went, it was a historical moment with Lambo taking the job on a few days later..........whatever happened to him I wonder......

• Like 1

Will be forever grateful I went and endured the whole game. Started the rejuvenation of the whole club. Would Gunn have been sacked had we won (or even lost less emphatically?)

Actually remember very little of the game other than feeling really sick before getting to the ground, suddenly feeling great at kick off and then wishing I’d been sick and missed the whole game.

Only other memories of the game...Nelson is a slow, talentless blob of a defender, The Doc is still completely useless, Tudor Jones looks ok (!), Cody is a legend already, this new signing Holt looks fat and why didn’t Theo whatsisname save that? x5 (at least).

Oh and yes Theo thingy was woeful but what was that backpass from Semmy for the first?!?

Good to reminisce, hopefully some closure now...

Edited by Fiery Zac

7 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I can't believe this was 10 years ago. I just remember it being a lovely hot summer's day and I was following the game online. After an unbeaten pre-season this was a result no one expected. It was a strange atmosphere in the city that evening. I think everyone was in shock.

Other than obviously, the two 'season ticket throwers'; it didn't even feel like fans had really got proper angry. It was like you say, pure shock which prevented the players and probably those above getting a lot more stick and abuse that day.

Thanks for the reminder king.  Wow, incredible that was 10 years.

I guess in a way the success we've had since then, has probably stemmed from that being such a shocking defeat, which led to Lambert being brought in ultra-quickly ?

If anyone had told us that afternoon, that come 2020, we'd have spent 5 years in the Prem and would have not lost once to the scum, we'd have laughed at them.  It's almost like there's a City fan somewhere who made a bargain with the devil...,. anyone like to confess ?

9 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks for the reminder king.  Wow, incredible that was 10 years.

I guess in a way the success we've had since then, has probably stemmed from that being such a shocking defeat, which led to Lambert being brought in ultra-quickly ?

If anyone had told us that afternoon, that come 2020, we'd have spent 5 years in the Prem and would have not lost once to the scum, we'd have laughed at them.  It's almost like there's a City fan somewhere who made a bargain with the devil...,. anyone like to confess ?

Sh!t, it's hot down here.

• Haha 2

We delayed going on holiday to Barcelona until the Sunday, so we could make the game.  Seemed a stupid decision in the hours after the match!

I was front row River End, so had to sit there (and did until the very end) , in shock, whilst the Col U players celebrated loads of times in front of us.

Tbf, our keeper wasn't at fault for the free kick in the 2nd half.......................

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

A decade has passed since that 'event'.....Oh my!......Doesn't life fly by........Scary........

I stayed until the end and couldn't believe what I had just witnessed.......but boy,  didn't we get our own back away down at their place.......

Same here I was shocked ... I remember the two fellahs throwing their season tickets at Bryan Gunn...and getting out of my seat at the end of the game...atmosphere was like in a morgue...

Whatever happened to the Season Ticket Two...father and son from Costessey unless my brain is playing tricks ?

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Whatever happened to the Season Ticket Two...father and son from Costessey unless my brain is playing tricks ?

ACN put a tweet out this morning as they were trying to track them down... their names are Mark and Daniel Warman, apparently.

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Their ban was classed as 'indefinitely' by McNally, did it ever end?

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

If anyone had told us that afternoon, that come 2020, we'd have spent 5 years in the Prem.....

Wow, had forgotten that......and this fifth time is going to be the best.  No Lambert and his team of L1 over achievers (as great as that was) no Hughton and his style of football, no Neil with his capitulation with tactics after the Newcastle away game.....no this time it is the real deal.  We may yet be relegated again, but the feeling this time has something different about it - we have a club that is secure financially, great coaching staff and ethos, but above all we have top quality players in the squad who either will be top performers in the PL either this season or in the future. 

For a club like us with the difficult financial climate over the last twenty or so years - 5 years out of 10 in the top flight is pretty amazing.

What's even funnier is the memory that popped up on my Facebook today:

"I think Colchester are going to get battered by the 'new look' Canaries today."

Oh, how my friends list laughed at that one afterwards...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Will be forever grateful I went and endured the whole game. Started the rejuvenation of the whole club. Would Gunn have been sacked had we won (or even lost less emphatically?)

Actually remember very little of the game other than feeling really sick before getting to the ground, suddenly feeling great at kick off and then wishing I’d been sick and missed the whole game.

Only other memories of the game...Nelson is a slow, talentless blob of a defender, The Doc is still completely useless, Tudor Jones looks ok (!), Cody is a legend already, this new signing Holt looks fat and why didn’t Theo whatsisname save that? x5 (at least).

Oh and yes Theo thingy was woeful but what was that backpass from Semmy for the first?!?

Good to reminisce, hopefully some closure now...

Yep, in hindsight it was exactly what we needed- Gunn would have been a disaster longer term but I think McNally was itching to get him out.

Probably the most surreal Norwich City game I've ever seen and will likely ever see!

I regard it as a feather in my cap that I stayed until the final whistle! 

Michael Theoplitis - What a legend!

Which team lost their opening game of the season 7-1 at home, then went onto win the Division by 9 clear points after taking the manager of the team who inflicted that defeat?

Has that question ever been asked in any quiz or on A question of sport?

Was in the upper Barcley that day. Clearly remember going down to the ground full of confidence thinking we were going to batter them. Massive support, crowd in good voice, almost a party atmosphere. 

Can honestly say in all the hundreds of games I've been to that one was the most surreal. After the fifth one went in I wasn't even disappointed any more it was like it was happening to someone else's team! Bloody strange thing to say but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It was an I was there moment from which we sprung Phoenix like from the cr@ppy stuff.

• Like 1

I woke up at 4am in NZ to check the score, laughed, turned over and went back to sleep. 

It's all part of being a Norwich fan.