Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Can we get one thing straight please?

I've been watching and litening to pundits - even Norwich supporting pundits - say that we need to forget the top six clubs and the real matches are against the rest. This is total b*ll*cks - we aim to win every game, not this "just hold them off as long as we can" rubbish. It's defeatist claptrap and an insult to the team.   If we have any ambition this season it should be to aim to win every game we start - and that includes tomorrow's match. 

What a great opportunity it is to play these great clubs - and show we can not only compete against them but take points of them too.  We won't win them all before some bright spark says that is what I am saying - but the aim as we go into each match should be to win them.

It's very exciting - we have real quality in depth this season and a way of playing that will work against any club we come up against. So come on, don't believe the pundits the media, the social media hype, the little Norwich syndrome - we are there on merit and have every chance of doing something special this season.

The top six clubs are there to be knocked off their pedestal - you can get at them, they are all prone to having goals scored against them, they are all prone to having an off day in front of goal, etc etc - it's football, anything can happen.

• Like 11

I think we may be overwhelmed at first - I can imagine Liverpool absolutely battering us for the first half hour for example, & perhaps all match - but I think we'll regroup & are intelligent enough, manager & squad, to find a way to cope. Integral to this is the way our players can sacrifice their own egos to ensure the success of the entire project; they're aware their own futures & reputations will be enhanced by being part of a squad that astounds & confounds pundits & opponents. 

We are much more than the sum of our parts. I think we'll survive this season & gain a lot of neutral fans along the way.

• Like 2

They seem to forget that the last few times we've been in the Prem we've beaten BOTH the Manchester clubs, along with Spurs and drawn with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool etc.

Any team can beat another on their day. I think we should take that attitude into every game for sure

• Like 1

The top 6 tend to lose less than 10 matches per season.

More relevant to tomorrow is that Liverpool didn't lose a single game at Anfield last season, City lost one at Etihad, Chelsea lost one, Arsenal of all teams only lost 2!

What i'm trying to say is your post is uhh..pointless. No-one says dont bother trying against those teams but pundits etc rightfully acknowledge that the chances of picking up points against those teams especially away are incredibly slim.

We're gonna get smashed and fuggin walloped at least 6-0 by every team in the Premiership..... So I'm just going to wallow in my own self pity and sit in the corner of the pub after watching the home games, sobbing into my pint o' dandelion an' burdock.....

.....and not sharing my Nobby's Nuts with anyone.......

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No-one says dont bother trying against those teams but pundits etc rightfully acknowledge that the chances of picking up points against those teams especially away are incredibly slim.

I'm sorry but that is wrong. There are pundits - and fans - saying there is no point in trying, because that is the clear implication of going into a match expecting to lose. You cannot be trying if you think you are going to lose - you HAVE to think you can win, otherwise you do not have the right mindset and there would be no point in turning up.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I'm sorry but that is wrong. There are pundits - and fans - saying there is no point in trying, because that is the clear implication of going into a match expecting to lose. You cannot be trying if you think you are going to lose - you HAVE to think you can win, otherwise you do not have the right mindset and there would be no point in turning up.

Who has said there is no point in trying?

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Who has said there is no point in trying?

Dan O Hagan for one. He says you go to compete but expecting to not to get anything, but you cannot be competing if you do not think you are going to get anything - it is a psychological paradox to say that you can. 

You can only truly compete if you think you can win and if you are not thinking that, then you are not really trying.

Dan O Hagan. Never heard of him.

Not really sure what you are digging at here LDC. It doesn't matter what any pundit, supporter or poster says. The players will be so looking forward to playing at Anfield, the home of the CL winners, that to even think they will listen to what anyone says is nonsense.

DF will know what to say to them and they will probably need bringing down a touch rather than geeing up.

Of course we’ll give 100% every week, any professional club worth their salt does. But the bottom line is that any points against any of the top six are a bonus, and we need to take points off the teams around us to do well. 

Unless we have wasted good chances and been dominant: Nil - Nil is always a good half-time score for Norwich City. 

Against these top sides we must ensure we are in the game for the second half. 

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

I think we may be overwhelmed at first - I can imagine Liverpool absolutely battering us for the first half hour for example, & perhaps all match - but I think we'll regroup & are intelligent enough, manager & squad, to find a way to cope. Integral to this is the way our players can sacrifice their own egos to ensure the success of the entire project; they're aware their own futures & reputations will be enhanced by being part of a squad that astounds & confounds pundits & opponents. 

We are much more than the sum of our parts. I think we'll survive this season & gain a lot of neutral fans along the way.

That's why we will need to be brave on the ball...ala Leeds last season and keep it - can't afford to panic and get rid.  I.e trust in our game.    Hence, Leitner should play alongside Trybull.       

The scousers' are probably thinking playing us will be just like a casual stroll through Stanley Park......I really hope we prove them wrong,  and at the off - really get in their faces, put them on the back foot - and let them know they've been in a game......Here's hoping......I'll forever remember Holty's header against them at Anfield.....Oh yeah......

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

I think it's more likely to be that at the start we put up a good fight and go toe-to-toe with them. Matching them for possession and chances. Their strikers are likely to be more clinical though so the problem will come if they score early, and especially if they get a 2nd in the 1st half. I could see us start to unwind if that happens. If we score first however, then anything is possible! :classic_smile:

Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.  This is Liverpool we are playing here remember Luis Suarez and a handful of hat tricks no record of any positive results against the scouse other than single draw courtesy of grant Holt.  We just might have an inferiority problem here remember being 3-1 up and losing 5-4.  That was a nightmare only hoping for a decent result and performance but expecting not much. 

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

They seem to forget that the last few times we've been in the Prem we've beaten BOTH the Manchester clubs, along with Spurs and drawn with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool etc.

Any team can beat another on their day. I think we should take that attitude into every game for sure

Absolutely right BobLoz3 ! 

If the bookies call us 8/1 to win then maybe 9 times out of ten we do win plus we'll pick up a draw or two on the way against these teams.

In a football match a team with 20 shots on goal can lose to a team with one shot on goal.  It happens all the time. It doesn't happen in every game but it happens often enough to be a normal part of football. 

If the pundits imagine we're going to play any game this season with the intention of rolling over and having our tummy tickled then they've seriously got us wrong. 

• Like 1

Always go to win and believe you can otherwise what's the point. I completely agree with what you are saying but I don't think it's really relevant what pundits etc are saying, it's what the players believe and I am certain they will believe they can get a result.

PS, I had a dream about the game last night, 3-1 to City (we went 2 up, they pulled one back and then we scored late). I think I'd take that...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Always go to win and believe you can otherwise what's the point. I completely agree with what you are saying but I don't think it's really relevant what pundits etc are saying, it's what the players believe and I am certain they will believe they can get a result.

PS, I had a dream about the game last night, 3-1 to City (we went 2 up, they pulled one back and then we scored late). I think I'd take that...

Let's hope you're prescient, I never forget when a poster (t'was sonyc) dreamed we'd beat WBA 4-0 under Hughton, given the Hughtonball approach meant that was the only game all season where we won by more than one goal, so to forecast that exact scoreline was pretty impressive !

I think a lot on here a getting ahead of themselves - all I say is that's enjoy the ride and forget who going to win the Prem or be top 6 .and who , we are going to get points from - its more likely we will be in bottom 4 but who cares . enjoy it while we are here, however long.

Edited by baldy09
better grammmer

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Games against Forest 3-3 and Millwall 4-3 last season exemplified our never say die attitude.  Let's hope we can emulate this in the Prem and shock a few arrogant opponents.  

6 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I don't have to dream about it...... I've seen us win 3-1.

I was there when we did it 43 years ago so it's about time we did it again 🙂