Sign in to follow this  
Beno27

McKenzie

I''m still very unhappy with Mckenzie, he is not a premiership player and i doubt he is a championship player, given 2 chances last night that most strikers in the same catergory as Mckenzie would have taken. How many times do we see him miss sitters, in his years at Norwich I doubt he''s scored 12 goals, but everybody seems to love him because he works hard. I''ve heard he comes from a family of boxers and to be honest i think he''d look more at home in a ring.

I dont expect Mckenzie to be able to fill Ashtons boots because lets face it he isn''t half the player Ashton is, it just showed how much we''d miss Ashton because of how poorly we played without him.

So I''m prepared for criticism of these opinions, from what I''ve heard on the terraces, lots of people think he''s gods gift, but I''m not happy with him. enough is enough. Bring on January.

Its funny actually, there was a large thread on here recently saying that Mckenzie runs around with little quality and is a fans hero. Whereas Hughes/Holt etc run around with little quality and get slated. When Leon played a poor pass someone behind me shouted "If that was Hughes everyone would be Effing and blinding!", at which point the resident idiot near me shouted "So what?" Good logic there pal.

Although I like Leon, I can only wonder how the fans would treat him were it not for the double against Ipswich. In my opinion its another case of one rule for one, one rule for another with the fans. (I.E. When Leon misses an easy chance its "LEON LEON", when Hughes does something poor its "Oh ***** ***** Hughes")

For the record I like Leon, and am glad to have him back. But I dont understand why the fans hold him in such high regard, as opposed to other players.

Anyway, lets hope he isnt out for too long.

[quote user="Beno27"]

How many times do we see him miss sitters, in his years at Norwich I doubt he''s scored 12 goals,

I[/quote]

Stop being so harsh.

He has only been here two years, you make out he has been clogging up the payroll for years and years.

He has scored 18 goals in 42 starts for us (he has made 23 appearances off the bench).  Seems like a decent record to me.  He just needs some games to find some form and sharpness - I would like to see you at your job if you hadn''t done it for 3 months.

He is nowhere near the player Ashton is but he has his own qualities to compliment the other abilities we have in the team.

Ashton''s record so far......18 goals from 42 starts and one sub appearance.

he''s not up to speed yet, but yeah he''s always liable to fluff his lines.  his best spell was when teaming up with deano in the prem last year, he was a real handful and scored a goal from nothing against soton. his finishing can be less than the rwuired standard though, even when scoring one on won with the keeper against man city last season, he scuffed his shot and ball trickled into the net, completely fooling james. I think the fans know he''s not the best in terms of skill, but appreciate his effort. I had him down to score 10 goals this season -with a full turnout.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Its funny actually, there was a large thread on here recently saying that Mckenzie runs around with little quality and is a fans hero. Whereas Hughes/Holt etc run around with little quality and get slated. When Leon played a poor pass someone behind me shouted "If that was Hughes everyone would be Effing and blinding!", at which point the resident idiot near me shouted "So what?" Good logic there pal.

Although I like Leon, I can only wonder how the fans would treat him were it not for the double against Ipswich. In my opinion its another case of one rule for one, one rule for another with the fans. (I.E. When Leon misses an easy chance its "LEON LEON", when Hughes does something poor its "Oh ***** ***** Hughes")

For the record I like Leon, and am glad to have him back. But I dont understand why the fans hold him in such high regard, as opposed to other players.

Anyway, lets hope he isnt out for too long.

[/quote]

I agree trent, i reckon that if hughes scored against the scum he''d be a hero. Forwards are usually more popular though anyway. Mckenzie isnt good enough, he runs but with little end product.

Although id like to point out I do rate him, and am very happy we bought him. I just dont get the hero status, and in particular the fact he appears to be immune to criticism, when at times he has been just as poor as certain other players who the fans have no hesistation in barracking.

McKenzie has the first touch similar to that of a brick wall and when he loses the ball in promising positions it is very frustrating. I would be very annoyed should when he''s fit he replaces McVeigh despite WLY form. What makes McKenzie a valuable member of the squad is that he causes problems for defences as they often have to rush a pass as McKenzie is constantly running around. He does get goals but for the amount of chances he gets it is a bit disappointing.

i think mckenzie is a little underrated on here - apart from the start of this season he has been pretty good for norwich.  he scored 9 goals in gettin us promoted when finally played and given a partner in the premiership he scored a few even if it was above his level.

also he provides something we have really missed - an attacking threat from the right.  Losing edworthy''s forward runs and mckenzie often beating people and cutting in from the right I think has been a major problem this season.

He''s brave, he is/was quick and he is a hundred per cent  player. We could have done with his energy at times over the past few weeks!But having said all this, and admitted that his attitude is top notch, it has to be said that his control is awful and his shooting at times wayward. It sometimes takes him two or three touches  over a few yards to bring the ball under control, and this is time for slower defenders to catch him. He seems to lack a second shooting foot and his shooting is way behind Ashton, McVeigh and Huckerby.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]he scored against the scum .... he scored another one.....

need i say more.........

[/quote]

That sums up our fans really.

He had a good debut, scored against ipswitch and can now do no wrong. Everyone at times has been slaughtering ashton but leon could get away with murder. Colin , robinson and hughes have all been completely hammered by some fans yet there performances have been average , nothing special, but not awful. If leon had scored that goal hughes got against luton was it, some fans would want a statue put up in his honour. Leon is a poacher, but simply isnt good enough to be playing regularly in this league.

mckenzie - Not good enough at this level?!?!

ok forgiving him the start of this season when he was totally out-of-sorts due to off the field activities. in this divisiuon hed had about 9 goals in about 12 starts last  time out. ok so he wasnt prem quality but he scored against everton, boro, chelsea, man utd, palace and southampton and looked ok when partnered with Deano and had a hand in our good end of season run.

to just dismiss him at this level, considering his influence in our promotion winning side, seems a little hasty.

he does add some threat from the right side as well something it looks as if nw is not going to rectify

Northern Canary moaned

i think you have hit the nail on the head. Leon seems to get away with things that other players get slaughtered for. Probably because of the Ipswich goals no doubt

I know it''s bloody grim up North but do try to put a little more cheer in your posts. Perhaps a little time with your pidgeons might help; or a brisk walk with t''whippet t'' mill and back with a half of stout on the way at t''pub.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]he scored against the scum .... he scored another one.....

need i say more.........

[/quote]

Precisely, If it was hughes that had done that we would love him, and Leon would considered to be just another of Worthys "hard-working" players.

I always want us to cheer our players, so I dont see the hero status of Leon as a bad thing. More just that it must be very disheartening for other players who get barracked, yet put in better performances.

I hate too say it but after the ankle injury i jut dont think he will be a valuable asset anymore.

Leon aint a bad championship player,full of heart and determination but he is never going to spearhead our attack again.

I will be totally suprised after this injury if he is still around in 2yrs. Hope im wrong.

Leon is a goal scorer. He got 7 premier league goals, and another 11 goals. His partnership with Ashton could be renewed and he''s a good, well meaning player. I''m surprised 5 or 6 people have jumped on him here just because he''s been unlucky with injuries. He has drive and energy and surprises defenders with his persistance. Keep him, he''s great.

Leon is all heart. He has just gone through a huge amount of personal turmoil- plus a severe injury, and I think it is a tadge unfair at this moment in time - so please give the fellah a break. As Hants Canary said, he got the goals in the Champs and the Prem..........Time heals wounds, and I''m sure he will return with a bang. ;~) 

"Leon is not a premiership player"

erm...... well we arnt a premiership team either, so i dont see what you are worrying about........

he can put them away and who really cares if he does that? for gods sake give him a break he has just got back and you are already moaning......

Leon is a good asset to the team because of the spark that he provides; against Burnley he chased down their defenders, as usual, and typically won us a corner when they were looking to build from the back. Leon provides that ''thorn-in-the-side'' factor that Flecky used to give us, never letting the opposition settle on the ball. He also provides a real threat when he runs at defenders on the edge of their box. I just hope that these injuries haven''t affected his game.