Sign in to follow this  
Ark

Dean Ashton... Mindless speculation

Am I the only one that can''t see Ashton leaving in January?

Listening to Radio Norfolk and it seems to be the only topic for discussion. The summary...

1. Ashton will leave

2. The price will be 6-7 million and no more

For me, these simply don''t add up. We paid around 4 million for him, so profit would only be 2-3 mil for starters.

Look at it like this...

1. Ashton signed a new contract and has made no suggestion that he intends to leave.

2. The club made it clear for starters that they expect higher offers than received in the summer.

3. Speculation of his impending departure started around rumours of offers for 10 million.

4. It seems clear that offers like this will not be coming in (ie. Man

City seem unlikely to raise their offer), so statements 1 and 2 clearly

take precedence.

For me, this whole sherbang revolves around media speculation and,

without a VERY HIGH offer, Ashton will not be leaving. Any thoughts???

It would be madness gain 7 or 8 million in the short

term  and lose the chance of gaining 30+ million through promotion

, when Ashton went off last night we looked very ordinary up front plus

if we do go up we will need a quailty striker to give us the best

chance of survival , it''s a no brainer in my eyes sell him and you can

kiss good bye to the playoffs.

I agree as well. Neil adams keeps saying its obvious he''ll go WhY? Ashton wont come out and say i''m staying because anything could happen. If liverpool came in with a 10 million offer, ashton wont say no. He''s said he''s happy but he''s right not to definately say he''s staying. Norwich also cant come out and say he''s staying, because if someone offers stupid money we cant say no, like any foootball club. I believe that adams has misread the signals and that ashton, baring silly offers will be a NCFC player on feb1st.

Adams says theres only a 1% chance of Ashton being here at the end of the season , do you really think he would come up with a figure of 1%  unless he was almost certain Ashton was off . I would think the lad is already sold and comments from Worthy ,Ashton and Adams are all just preparing us for the inevitable.

the way neil adams talks and the way it was brought up in the press seems to make it inevitable he will leave for man city.

In the end from his point of view he will be moving to a club doing fairly well in the premiership. just a shame we arent near the top 2 making this all irrelevant.

I think Neil Adams should keep his mouth shut because all he is doing is fuelling the situation.

1. DA has committed until 2009.

2. NCFC are in the driving seat.

3. Can you envisage anyone paying £7M plus based on DA''s performances this season? Not when Dave Kitson looks faster, meaner and better.

4. I just cannot come up with a replacement even approaching DA''s potential - so why sell?

I thought Adams made a good point last night.

A contract extension naturally pushes up the value of a player, as the buying club has to up their bid to appropriately compensate the club. So although the contract extension at the time was to stop the speculation about his future, perhaps if he goes now it will net us an extra million or so.

the problem is breaker, that he did very well for crewe, has always been rated very highly, performed in the premiership last season, and even in what has been a poor norwich side until now he has done pretty well.

the biggest problem we have is that he was always rated very highly and he performed in the prem for us (and england u21 for that matter.

I think that Premier1 is right - Adams wouldn''t have come out with a statement like that last night unless he was in the know. 

My guess is that when the contract was extended, it included one of those clauses agreeing to a sale if a specified offer is received from a Club which appeals to Ashton. Thats why the deal may be done already. But thats just guesswork, and we will know at the latest by 7th Jan as no new Club will want him Cup Tied.

For the love of Sweet Sassy Molassy..... Ashton has said he is only commited to us UNTIL JANUARY! those were his EXACT words on the championship! how many of u cant get that through your heads????

that to me, means that once January is here he is looking to leave.. he didnt say he is commited to Norwich for the next 3 years, or until the end of season.. he said until january.. meaning that he WANTS to leave then....

jas :)

Neil Adams clearly knows more than he is letting on. I go to the games, read the interviews, listen to the gossip, and where exactly from this has definate info that Ashton is leaving has come from?!?

Why did he sign a new improved contract?! I know we aren''t doing superbly, but 4 wins on the bounce, and we are in the mix again. Would we be having this debate if we were top of the league??

Ashton has said he would like to play in the premiership (like all players). He hasn''t said he wants to leave, and the board haven''t said they want to sell.

I real do feel that unless we get a really good offer (10 million say, which nobody bar wigan are likely to spend), we would be fools to sell him.

On the pitch we would be a poorer side, the fee would be split between Crewe, debts, with possibly 2.5-3 left for transfers. 1 of that i feel will be spent on Etuhu and Robinson, leaving Nigel with next to nothing to replace a 20+ goal a seaon striker. Also take into account off the field income from Ashton, the higher profile the club receives from him being there, the ability to attract better players, the bigger gates, the better chance of promotion, the better chance of premiership survival (if and when) ...

Could go on for ages!

Still no good reason to sell him, except short term capital

Well remember Adams dosen''t even watch them train (stupid barry), so how the h*ll is he in the know.

Or is he only in the know when it suits!

Any chance of Barry phoning in on Saturday and grilling Adams on his claims.

Nice to see the debate hotting up again!To those that are saying Adams knows more than he is letting on. He said Ashton will go for 6-7 million, yet we all seem to be agreed that the club want a lot more than that... Just read a few of Worthy''s statements.I think the only other possibility is that Man City might offer 6million PLUS Robbie Fowler or something like that. I think people may have been suggesting this already.

[quote user="Ark"]Nice to see the debate hotting up again!To those that are saying Adams knows more than he is letting on. He said Ashton will go for 6-7 million, yet we all seem to be agreed that the club want a lot more than that... Just read a few of Worthy''s statements.I think the only other possibility is that Man City might offer 6million PLUS Robbie Fowler or something like that. I think people may have been suggesting this already.[/quote]i''d take 8m from man city plus bradley wright phillips - get him playing right wing for us. (or 10m plus wright phillps on loan)then i''d splash 3m on getting rasiak here from spurs - did well last season for derby, is tall, skillful and knows where the net is. he''d link up great with wly & hucks.sorted!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Ark"]Nice to see the debate hotting up again!

To those that are saying Adams knows more than he is letting on. He said Ashton will go for 6-7 million, yet we all seem to be agreed that the club want a lot more than that... Just read a few of Worthy''s statements.

I think the only other possibility is that Man City might offer 6million PLUS Robbie Fowler or something like that. I think people may have been suggesting this already.
[/quote]

i''d take 8m from man city plus bradley wright phillips - get him playing right wing for us. (or 10m plus wright phillps on loan)

then i''d splash 3m on getting rasiak here from spurs - did well last season for derby, is tall, skillful and knows where the net is. he''d link up great with wly & hucks.

sorted!

[/quote]

If only life was that easy. I reckon raziak would be a good signing but isnt worth 3 million, ( what we payed for ashton last year). But sign him up, sign him up.

If we sell ashton the only  replacements i can think off are

Raziak - Good signing but wouldnt pay more than 2 million

Helguson - 2 million, but seems to be getting a chance with fulham now

Earnshaw - wouldnt be a direct replacement but a good signing none the less wouldnt cost morethan 2million, i wouldnt of thought.

Perhaps Robbie keane, carlton cole , ole soskare, or peter lovenkrands would come, they are all apparently unsettled !!!!!!!