Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Villa

Another signing on the way apparently, that makes thirteen. They can now field a side with none of the players that got them up, if I was one of them I’d be pretty pissed off.

Totally the opposite of rewarding success.  Totally the opposite of developing from within.  Totally the opposite of organic growth.

Out of the three clubs that have gone up, we are going to be the popular team for neutrals to follow this season because of the way we do things.

• Like 1

I think that might come back and bite them. 

As many teams have shown after going up, changing the nucleus of the side removed the spirit of what got them there and it of course takes a lot of players a little time to settle. 

There are a lot of cocky Villa fans out there some claiming that they'll qualify for Europe, guess they may but just as likely that they'll go straight back down again. 

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Totally the opposite of rewarding success.  Totally the opposite of developing from within.  Totally the opposite of organic growth.

Out of the three clubs that have gone up, we are going to be the popular team for neutrals to follow this season because of the way we do things.

It'll be because of the way we play!   Real football fans are in for a treat!    

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I think that might come back and bite them. 

As many teams have shown after going up, changing the nucleus of the side removed the spirit of what got them there and it of course takes a lot of players a little time to settle. 

There are a lot of cocky Villa fans out there some claiming that they'll qualify for Europe, guess they may but just as likely that they'll go straight back down again. 

Indeed. Not only does settling become an issue with so many new players, but when there are setbacks the relationships between players in the squad won't be developed enough to overcome them and they will look like a bunch of individuals who have that familiar sullen-ness about them that we see in the PL so often....teams that just look like they have no spirit or organisation.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Indeed. Not only does settling become an issue with so many new players, but when there are setbacks the relationships between players in the squad won't be developed enough to overcome them and they will look like a bunch of individuals who have that familiar sullen-ness about them that we see in the PL so often....teams that just look like they have no spirit or organisation.

They also need to be mindful that if they go down it was suggested that they might be one of the teams that fell foul of the FFP regulations. 

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Spot on. Fascinating the difference between the promoted teams strategies on this. Sheff are somewhere in the middle, trying to cream off the best champs talent. Apart from McBurnie who is likely to play more, the core of the existing squad is likely to start. 

Signing so many new players must do wonders for the moral of the players who actually got Villa promotion. 

I just don’t get FFP ?

As we were led to beleive the rules last year, if Villa hadn’t gone up they were in serious trouble. On top of the transfer fees they have paid they will also have a huge wage bill ?. I really don’t get it especially as some smaller clubs even get deducted points and it is far less obvious on the face of it what they have done.

I get the feeling they think of themselves as a moderate sized prem side who had a minor blip with the relegation and that they belong here. If they stay up, the £130m will be easily justified. Their defence and keeper were heavily patched up last season and they were spearheaded by loans like abraham who won't come back. The likes of McGinn and Grealish will still feature prominently and I think they well stay up fairly comfortably. It is very scatter gun and most of the signings wont work out long term but they can afford to cover all bases so why not. Fulham's buys seemed far worse but that is easy to say in hindsight I guess.

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think you have got it bang on there LDC , but you know...the punditry 🙄 ...they will be claiming the opposite...I can hear it now "Norwich City haven't spent enough"

Agree it's a lot but there is some context.

3 of the new signings were on loan with them last season so signing them actually is rewarding success.

They had two more key players (Tunzabe & Abraham) on loan last season so had to replace them.

They also had a number of ageing squad players out of contract that they've let go and replaced with younger and likely better players.

So between those three factors they've actually had about 10 or 11 players who contributed in some way last season leave.

They may struggle getting all the new signings settles but the squad isn't actually hugely bloated despite the volume of signings

32 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I just don’t get FFP ?

As we were led to beleive the rules last year, if Villa hadn’t gone up they were in serious trouble. On top of the transfer fees they have paid they will also have a huge wage bill ?. I really don’t get it especially as some smaller clubs even get deducted points and it is far less obvious on the face of it what they have done.

I don't know really get it, I've read stuff suggesting that it's an EFL thing to the Premier League doesn't care how a team gets promoted but I've also read that clubs like QPR and Bournemouth got find for overspending to get there. 

If the second is the case then suspect Villa will get investigated (as will we and Sheff Utd) to check the expenditure and if any have gone over the limit then they get fined accordingly. 

Although I suspect someone on here will know the exact details?

They are going about their business in a different way to us-that doesn’t make us right or wrong, any more than it makes them right or wrong.