Sign in to follow this  
Oso Butch

Heresy, maybe - but here goes, anyway...

Anyone agree with me that biggest disappointment by far on Wed evening was watching Limpin'' Lil (AKA Dean Ashton) put on a show?

For once, I agree with Mr Worthless: "He does a very good impression of a player limping,” said Worthington. Ashton gave the distinct impression on more than one occasion in the second half that he had lower back twinges or similar, and then goes and throws his toys out to the pram when he''s subbed by stomping off down the tunnel. 

As I walked back to the train, I couldn''t believe what I heard myself saying to my mates:  "Actually, I wouldn''t actually miss him that much if he goes in Jan..."  Still feel the same, 2 days later.... 

Am I alone?

[quote user="Oso Butch"]

"Actually, I wouldn''t actually miss him that much if he goes in Jan..."  Still feel the same, 2 days later.... 

Am I alone?

[/quote]

Proably not alone, but still a mad fool if you want the best player in 10 years at Norwich to leave.

he certainly looked injured to me, but i think we will miss him if he left.and to ask a question, did he walk down the tunnel? i watched him go off, and im pretty sure he put a tracky top on, and sat in the dugouts. i looked over to the bench quite a few times, and he was always there. so i dont know where this walked down the tunnel came from, unless i didn''t see it. i know neil adams said it, but can he see that from where they are in the ground?

no1canary - When I saw Ashton looking annoyed at coming off I purposely looked to see if he stormed off or if he would sit down. From what I remember he put a tracksuit on and sat down, however I couldnt say if he walked off a few seconds later.

I had a good view from ''The Library'' and as I posted before Reynolds directed Ashton to the tunnel and he declined to go and went and sat on the bench. My point was ''is this like a player who wants to leave the club?''

After about 10 minutes (he probably got cold and needed to stretch) Ashton headed for the dressing room.

Trouble with Ashton is: how do you know he''s injured? Aside from never looking happy he has deceived before (as with the head injury).

Interestingly, after treatment on his ankle Worthy was shouting and waving his hands in a balancing gesture at Leon and asking if he was alright. He too had tried to battle on and in the meantime blocked a goalbound shot. Why Leon has taken stick on this board today is a mystery, his attitude is unquestionable.

It''s just that he doesn''t seem to be able to cope with the knocks very well, LGT.  He gave the clear impression to everyone that he was hurt on Wed night, and then played up when he was taken off for his own good, not because he was playing badly.  What was he trying to do - fool the oppposition that he was injured?  [*-)] 

It was side of him I hadn''t seen before, and I don''t like that sort of spoiled brat behaviour in any player (unless ''justified'' in the heat of the moment, which this wasn''t, IMO).  For the first time, I felt I was watching Ashton the prima donna in a NCFC shirt...

For the moment, I can''t shake off the view that we won''t miss him (if paid sufficient) if there''s more of that side of his character to come out - hence the decision to go public and seek some therapy! [:$]

don''t be silly, he''s the best thing to happen to Norwich in a long, long, long time.

Just who would we replace him with? I can''t think of anyone who''s available and in our price range.

From the Jarrold stand (right opposite where Delia normally sits, although she wasn''t there on Wed - presumably demonstrating a mince pie recipe to the Barclay crew?) we watched him go just a few minutes after being subbed, No 1.  And I didn''t see him come back.  Mind you, we were too busy watching the Canary goalmouth for most of the rest of the game ! 

the chap next to me in the barclay and myself both agreed that Ashton is a wimp!

The slightest bit of contact and he goes down "injured" only to return at full strength for the next game....

I cant remember a game going by without ashton sitting on the pitch whilst Neil Reynolds purs cold water over him.... i do feel he either needs to just get on with it or toughen up a bit..

If ur a striker ur going to take knocks and get banged about by centerbacks... Infract probably only wingers take more damage... (possibly keepers for the constant diving around..) Deano should be thankful he isnt hucks who gets punted across the field on a regular basis....

Be a man Deano! stop acting hurt and get on with it!

jas :)

Yup, Deano is a lightweight! I am surprised a lad of his build and stature isn''t doing a job that is more rewarding than Football ie: Doorman at Mothercare, Brewster the bear at ''Brewster''s'', Cap''n Canary, Salesman at an affluent Gentlemen''s outfitter/tailors, Banjo mechanic, Ukelele Engineer, Ballet dancer, Ballroom dancer, Hairdresser, Limbo dancer, Contortionist, Pianist, Darts player, Netball coach, Courier driver, Personal secretary, Nurse, Newsagent, Estate agent, Rep for Toy Company, Unemployed, Pilot (whale), Taxi driver, Flight attendant, Labourer, Interpreter, Dishwasher, Tyre pressure, Refuse collector or even Worthington''s personal dresser..............He needs a few gallon of "Ir''n Bru!" to harden him up a bit! OTBC ;~)

I know its your opinions but how can people say we wont miss ahton. Can anyone remember the saints and blades games. Just to jog your memory he scored a hat-trick and was the difference between the sides in the 2 games respectively. no 8 Million striker is going to want to come here in fact no 3 million striker would want to come here. Who could do the same who we have at the moment, who will score goals consistently apart from mcveifg. Mckenzie- injury prone and needs 5 good chances to score anyway, Ryan jarvis - yeah right, hendo - to weak, thorne - no wonder cardiff gave him to us for nothing.

He is a strange one is our Dean, and lots of points and questions can be raised.

He gets a bang on the head and plays on, and then goes off, and then he plays part of the next game when he clearly is not fit.  He picks up a leg knock the other night does his Limping Lil bit and appears to be injured to all who are watching, and then goes and slumps about on the bench, I am sure he did not stay there all game.  BTW, Neil Adams commentary position is just above the tunnel so he probably saw him going off.  Later Worthy states that Dean says he is ok, well maybe but he did not look ok.

He goes 10 games without scoring then gets 4 in two games, a hero to us all.  Then on Wednesday he jumps far too early for 65% of his headers, pushes and pulls opponents and concedes free kicks, takes shots from 30 yards that end up 30 yards wide.  Same game he has a good run on goal and unleashes a cracking shot that the keeper does well to save, makes some great defensive headers and links up with some fantastic play with WLY and Hucks.

Is he a Cart Horse, a Thoroughbred, awful, good, or a Canary legend?  Who knows?

So what is his value?  Worth £1M sometimes, £3M yes, £5M most of the time, £6.5M+ No.

Should we sell him in January? No, if we do we are back to the Robert Chase days of selling your best players to build Hotels.

Will he go in January?  No.  We put a very high price on his head £8-9M, this fee will put off Wigan, Man City, West Ham, Everton, Birmingham, Bolton, Charlton etc because they cannot afford it, that leaves the really big clubs who can afford him, but will not buy him because of his inconsistency.

So where does that leave Deano?  The chance for him to honour his extended lucrative contract, the chance to settle back in at Norwich and concentrate on helping us to promotion, then we may see more of the wonderful player that he can be.  Someone who does not bother about the bangs on the head and legs, someone who gets on with his game, who is not too greedy on the pitch, a player who ends up with 25 goals for the season.

Then in the summer, we will know which division we are in.  Premier League and Dean Stays, Championship then we off load him for £6-7M and say thanks for the good times.

Lots of questions and points but are they valid?

I disagree totally. Not just for the goals he scores, not just for the goals he creates (-the majority of those he didn''t score in the present recovery), but for his utter commitment. He has suffered from "the long ball out of defence" approach probably more than anyone.When we were under pressure for a long period at Bramall Lane, the only way ouit of defence was the long ball to Ashton, -"give it to Ashton" to nearly quote an old Norwich shout. In this situation he is usually double marked by hulks of central defenders, who do not hold back. He has been injured in the face or head how many times, and he still tries.His commitment is revealed in how he charges back to defend, or races forward in the sometimes vain hope that somone will pass to him. He is a great team man.We have a remarkable talent, possibly the most complete striker that we are ever likely to have. If he had had half the service he needs we would be much higher in the table. When you look at the end-of-year compilation of his goals on Canaries World you will see goals scored in the Premiership from poor crosses and from way out. Above all we have a committed member of the side. He may not be quick-silvered, but in his own way he is as committed as McKenzie, but without the recognition for this.If, or rather when, he goes it will border on a disaster, no matter how much it raises and how many good players we may miraculously sign to replace him. The club which signs him will acquire a player who at 22, and with time to develop still further with experience,  is one of the best England eligible strikers around. To score 11 goals in half a Premiership season and in a generally poor and relegated team, is a measure of what he is capable of. If he goes, a disaster!