Sign in to follow this  
magic_eyes

Crouch not Huckerby

I agree with the general concensus that we must retain the services of a loan striker if we are going to have any chance of promotion / play offs. However, I believe the one we really need to keep hold of is Crouch, not Huckerby. Obviously, in a ideal world let''s keep them both, however the reality is we will need to break the bank to keep Hucks, whereas we can extend Crouchs loan to the end of the season.

Saturdays game realised my worst fears that actually Huckerby is not the saviour, and in fact that without Crouch we looked very ordinary. I have seen all the home games this year and a couple of away games and in every one Crouch has been a key figure, his link up and hold up play is superb and it is this that creates the space for players like, Huckerby, McVeigh and Francis to get forward.

Let''s get his loan deal sorted now and get him signed up for the rest of the season. Huckerby will go, but that means we can get in another fast sharp striker on loan to complement Crouchs qualities.

p.s. Cancel Eastons contract now. He is awful.

I agree Crouch is the key - he suits our game plan and it is only when he is absent that your really appreciate the contribution he makes to the teams performance. I can see him linking well with McVeigh if we cant keep both Crouch & Huckerby but that would leave a gap on the left wing that would need filling... and not by Clint

If I was Worthy I would be doing everything possible to keep crouch till the end of the season and spotting a left sided midfielder who can fill McVeighs spot

Jason Wilcox could do a job at this level and I dont think Leeds would say no to some of his wages being paid... any other suggestions?

OTBC

Oh dear, do you understand or watch football at all?. the reason Crouch has done well, is simply down to the service Huckerby has given HIM!!.

Crouch did''nt play against Watfofd, and Iwan (bless him) just can''t keep up these days with the forwards pace. Annoying people like you, have been praying for Hucks to have a ''stinker''. Well here''s some news for you, the whole 11 did!!. At least Huckerby does''nt loose his self control, and get sent off, thus letting the team and NW down.

If as you say, just keep Crouch, who''s going to supply him, Rivers?, I don''t think so!.

I agree Easton must go, but please include Rivers with him. Leave slagging off Hucks alone, he''s the most gifted player we''ve got, although Mulryne pushes him close.

And just who the hell do you think created Jarvis''s (must be picked more) goal, thats right, Huckerby!.

Put someone with pace up there with Hucks, (and yes we must get Crouch), and the goals will flow. But have the vision & grace to realise who has made the most assists since his arrival. Answear: Huckerby.

Hear Hear to 1st Wizard. Before these loanees arrived you could have had Nistelroy up front but we would not have scored as we had nobody to provide the service and that was the whole point in getting Huckerby. Who has set up Roberts for his two goals this season (Huckerby) and who has set up most of the goals for everybody else (Huckerby). Its ok having a decent strike force but you need the service to be provided to make that force effective. Rivers for me will never be that man as he is too inconsistent and plays well for one game then has three mediocre games. Big decisions need to be made next month not just for the strike force but for the provider as well and could well be the decision that either makes or breaks our season. I am not bothered about our defeat. Christ even Man U or Arsenal do not win all their home games and at least the pressure is now off of the team to kep the home run going however we must bounce back on Sat so that the losing streak does not set in. A good chance missed on Sat but still plenty to play for with stacks of games left it is just a question of who will be playing for us.

ps If I was Briggs I would slap in a transfer request. It was disgraceful that a midfielder should play in the right back position with Briggs available and then have Easton fill the midfielders position.

completely agree wizard with your huckerby points, though i still rate Rivers - he can still do a job on the wing - i understand from other sources today that Keegan is eager to get rid of Hucks and a 850K figure is on the cards, don''t tell me we can''t afford that anyone, please. If Hucks really wants to stay, i am sure something can be worked out contract wise.

It would be great to keep them both, and i sincerely hope we do, buy the key man is Huckerby

He is a class apart in this division and will lead us to the premiership, crouch is a great target man, and the two link up well

we need both, or it is this division for years to come!

The intention of my post was not to have a go at huckerby. I agree that if we can keep Huckerby we should do so. You are right to say that what has worked BEST is the partnership of Crouch & Huckerby.

As I said in an earlier post Huckerby does scare the heebeegeebees out of everyones defence - he is simply class. However when he does not have a decent partner he can be marked with 3 players like watford did which will blunt his effectiveness - as happened saturday. He was always facing an uphill battles with odds like these. If he was to partner Iwan for the rest of the season and not crouch I feel saturdays would be become the benchmark and not the previous 6 weeks of games.

As such I maintain that with the way play, if we can only keep 1 of these 2 stars we will be better served by keeping Crouch. He is more effective at holding the ball up, releiving the pressure on the defence and bringing the rest of the team into the game. This is not Huckerbys strength so he needs some one alongside him to do this job. We do not have anyone at the club who can do this job for the rest of the season - Iwan proved that on saturday.

Huckerby is the star - he creates chances and danger way in excess of the rest of the team combined. He too is not replaceable by anyone at the club - we do not have that sort of talent. However as an possible alternative we could work with Crouch & McVeigh as a pairing which would have the same set of skills, ball holding ability mixed with pace and creative play - just not to the same level as we have becoem accusstomed too.

I will restate - I would love it, simply love it, if we can keep both crouch & huckerby (the sun 2day quotes Worthy as talking to villa and man city to that effect so fingers crossed) however realistically I have prepared myself for some disappointment and dont think we will keep both once Dec 14th arives. I am only thinking ahead and making a judgement call as to who suits us best if we can only keep one. After all its all about opinions and mine simply differs from yours - it makes them no less valid and deserve some respect.

The good news is both Crouch and huckerby will be back together next week and I hope for a return to winning ways.

OTBC

Would be fantastic to have them both. With several players contracts up in the summer three players need to be leaving Carrow Road, which would hopefully create enough space in the wage department to fit in Hucks and Crouchy. The three that need to go are Easton, Notman and Zema. I know Notman and Zema have been unlucky with injuries but they just haven''t cut the mustard when they have been fit. As for Easton, well I can''t write what I would like to write because then this message wouldn''t get posted.

You lot should take Alun Armstrong on loan, he''ll do a good job for you, what do you reckon? i mean, he''s got to be better than dion dublin

We need both, not either/or, the issue has to be whether the Board has the gumption to play the risk, I wonder how long we''ll keep Worthy if they don''t?

Fair point Zipper. So I''ll apologise for any lack of respect on my part, it certainly was not intened. You, like me, are a passionate City fan, but sometimes I get so ''wound up'' over this Huckerby buisness, the words don''t always come out as to what I realy intended to say. but I will try harder in the future,OK.

Yes we must keep Crouch (if possible) but not at the expense of Hucks, and I still think young Jarvis could do the job also. and at a fraction of the cost.

Good to see that the fans do have this passion for the club 1st wizard - I too will also not to take the words personally...

I have to agree that the Jarvis is our future and expect to see him playing an increasing part of our season alongside crouch and hucks. I think NW has used him fairly well so far - building his exposure slowly but the time has come to get him on earlier in the second half than currently if sub and to start a few games

Happy posting

;-)

OTBC

I agree with the original point here that was rather aggressivley shot down by wizard. We have to prepare ourselves for losing Huckerby and in that eventuality, holding on to Crouch and Harper would be the next best thing. I firmly believe that is the option - huckerby OR Crouch and Harper. And obvioulsy both would be best but we have to accept the chances of that are slim and that therefore two good players may not be such a bad option against one excellent one.
As for the "who supplies crouch" question, it''s a bit much to suggest there''s no-one to do this if Huckerby''s not there. There''s Harper himself, Henderson, Rivers, Mulryne and, dare i say in a few weeeks, Brennan! And the little and large front pairing of Crouch and McVeigh i think could be really effective, not least because defenders will be rolling around laughing when they see the pair of them - McVeigh''s not much higher that crouch''s knees, he''s got to be well over a foot shorter!!
Whatever people''s views and opinions are, i think we, and please god by now worthy, all agree that we''ve seen enough of Clint. Quite why he wasn''t prepared to give Briggs a start at right back i don''t know, or even Shackell. The only reason to split up holt and francis, and it has to be a good one, is to accommodate mulryne. With mullers injured they have to be first choice central pairing. Maybe Worthy was trying to play around with fate - that of a club facing their former players who inevitably score against them! Worked with Francis and Nielsen. Easton not quite in the same mold. Maybe it only works with Wimbledon! Was a real shame Robbo didn''t perform either. I don''t want to see him die on his backside, he doesn''t deserve that. Was he that bad?

Yes Roberts was awful so slow lets hope he goes into coaching before it becomes embarrassing to watch him ,

Let''s be honest since Iwan Roberts signed his last contract he has been a great disappointment. I''m afraid the likes of Rick Waghorn have been very selective in highlighting the few plus contributions from Roberts while constantly justifying his selection by virtue of his achievements in years gone by.

Its so good to read such intelligent posts!!....You guys really seem to know your stuff. We all agree that both Huckerby & Crouch have to stay for us to stand a chance of winning promotion. N.W. today stated that the squad lacks strength and depth so come the xmas programme we could be in the s**t
that can be avoided by signing Hucks...Taking Crouch on loan until the end of the season, & loaning a central defender.

Pleeeeze let the board know your views on the official site too!

The more we say...The more they gotta listen!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

First Wizard gets it wrong again shocker![:O]

Slating Iwan, but reckoning Jarvis could be the next big thing!

[;)]

[/quote]

And yet so many posters agreeing with me...kinda backfired on you after reading it through.............result![Y]

How was he wrong? Hucks pretty much single handedly took us up, Iwan was finished after that season but Jarvis never quite made it. Shame we couldn''t keep both as we could have done with crouch when promoted. I reckon we''d have stayed up with him.