Sign in to follow this  
Skyrider

Are Norwich good enough

54 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Definitely going down - and finishing rock bottom.

Going into an EPL season having paid a top transfer fee of £750,000 is a complete joke. The club seems to be under the illusion that re-signing existing players is the same as team strengthening. Well of course it isn't and the club will be ruthlessly exposed in the big league. The defending is still the same as it was under Alex Neil. They cannot defend any ball into the box and get alarmingly opened up by bog-standard balls through the middle. Klose loses his head, Hanley and Krul are not EPL standard and Zimmermann will be too slow. Godfrey probably the best, but still learning. Let's not forget both Newcastle and Brighton considered Hanley and Krul no good at this level.

But of course the biggest factor mitigating against survival is Delia herself. This ownership model is 30 years out of date and the club has not moved with the times. You cannot go into the EPL on the basis that you are not going to spend any money. The best players go to the clubs paying the best money. End of. All Norwich City's activity this summer and the statements coming out from the club indicate that they are fully prepared for the Championship by August 2020.

You have a short memory lol

For the same reasons weren’t you predicting relegation to league 1 last year ? My memory of Klose in the prem was that single handedly until his injury at Palace he was keeping us up. My memory also of a fit Krull ( which he only achieved 1/2 way through the season last year ) was that he was regarded as a one of the best Premier goalkeepers and only lost his place due to a serious injury. He then couldn’t get his place back as his replacement did nothing to get dropped, he then moved to Brighton as cover on loan, but once again faced a goalkeeper in fine form. 

The current model of Delia I suggest is the model everybody else is trying to aspire to. This in my opinion, especially if we stay up, makes Stuart Webber the hottest property at our club.

One last point that totally blows your thoughts out of the water if I may. We signed and developed from our academy a squad of worthless players. Villa as an example have had to spend around a £140,000,000 on a group of mainly top Championship players. If we were now assembling our current squad from other clubs based on their development last year I would suggest we got virtually for nothing a £140,000,000 of players for nothing. So are you really suggesting that Villa’s model or Sheffield United’s model is far more likely to keep them up than the Webber model that Delia has put in place ?. I would suggest we are pretty much on an equal footing ?

We've not spent that much, but we've added four top quality players from top level teams. Heise is also like another new player and we have quality and depth throughout the squad. If, as looks likely now, we add Amadou and Rhodes we'll have had an excellent window. I'd compare us more to Bournemouth and hopefully we'll not only survive, but push on as well.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72
  • Like 1

My confidence levels will rise dramatically if we sign that elusive, quality DMC 👍

I forgot Vince's posts, despite blocking him, would still sneak through if someone quoted him-so cheers, Well b back...😁

Typical Vince cobblers mind. Must be a world record for a stuck needle on the record...

92/93 swung on that one game, the comeback and win against Arsenal on day 1. It gave the players the sort of surge of confidence and self belief that clung to them for the rest of that season. I know Liverpool is a nothing to lose fixture and if we lose but play well then yes, its room for hope, regardless.

If we get battered then we have the players and coaching staff to turn the negative into a positive thing and they'll sure as hell react in the right way.

But what if we were to get a point, or, miracles can happen, managed to win? What would that do for everyone?

No one game will ever make a season. But it could help define one. Here's hoping...

• Like 1

It's obviously impossible to know but I do think we are for the first time going up playing the right style of football. That's not technically true because Lamberts style was massively effective in that first-season but I don't believe it was a long-term solution. I don't think the board did either and they then went too far the other way with Hughton.

But this time round, I mean just look at the rule changes to aid teams wanting to pass out from the back - we've adopted a style that the Prem wants us to play. We've not had a team capable of possession retention like this in the times I've supported the club. That could be valuable in changing and dictating tempo's in games where we start to lose control.

People thinking we'll be comfortably top half are probably under-estimating the challenge somewhat but overall; with the obvious caveat of luck on our side, I think we stand a real chance of survival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

Going into an EPL season having paid a top transfer fee of £750,000 is a complete joke. The club seems to be under the illusion that re-signing existing players is the same as team strengthening. Well of course it isn't and the club will be ruthlessly exposed in the big league. The defending is still the same as it was under Alex Neil. They cannot defend any ball into the box and get alarmingly opened up by bog-standard balls through the middle. Klose loses his head, Hanley and Krul are not EPL standard and Zimmermann will be too slow. Godfrey probably the best, but still learning. Let's not forget both Newcastle and Brighton considered Hanley and Krul no good at this level.

But of course the biggest factor mitigating against survival is Delia herself. This ownership model is 30 years out of date and the club has not moved with the times. You cannot go into the EPL on the basis that you are not going to spend any money. The best players go to the clubs paying the best money. End of. All Norwich City's activity this summer and the statements coming out from the club indicate that they are fully prepared for the Championship by August 2020.

In summary: We're going down because we haven't spent money but the biggest reason we're going down is Delia… err... because we haven't spent money. Totally worthwhile final paragraph, that added much to the first one. Thank you for your contribution.

With regards to the original question. I have concerns defensively but I believe that we will stay up.

I think anyone who says with absolute certainty that we'll either stay up or go down should be ignored or ridiculed, as ultimately, nobody knows.

Compare this squad with our last three promotions.     The last two, we went up with Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Jerome, etc.... this lot are much better in all areas of the park and crucially will continue to improve.  Byram and Hanley would have walked into those teams but are unlikely to feature for us regularly.

We have quality and depth throughout.  We have a spirit second to none and a system of play everyone is familiar with. This is the best team and squad we've had since 92-94.    

Accepted the EPL is potentially the best its ever been this season (quality wise) but we'll thrive in it.    Still reckon 12th.

• Like 2

I dont know - I mean we do have some proper PL quality in the squad but i feel that this doing it on the cheap will ultimately let us down.  No-one is suggesting that we go out and spend 20 million on one player but on the other hand we're 2 days from the transfer window and we've spent 750k on a back up right back plus whatever the loans cost us.  If we were to go down this year then we can pretty much wave goodbye to Aarons, Godfrey, potentially Buendia and Lewis which IMO would be hugely damaging in the long run.  

13 minutes ago, BarclayWazza said:

I dont know - I mean we do have some proper PL quality in the squad but i feel that this doing it on the cheap will ultimately let us down.  No-one is suggesting that we go out and spend 20 million on one player but on the other hand we're 2 days from the transfer window and we've spent 750k on a back up right back plus whatever the loans cost us.  If we were to go down this year then we can pretty much wave goodbye to Aarons, Godfrey, potentially Buendia and Lewis which IMO would be hugely damaging in the long run.  

Look at it this way.... we never expected to be in the EPL this year.... whose to say spending £10-20m will actually improve this squad..... Webber and Farke have earned your trust and support..... 

There are hundreds of reasons for you to be positive and very few to be negative.   

THAT SAID, THE PESIMMIST IS NEVER DISAPPOINTED!!!

No way we're going down!

OTBC

21 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Compare this squad with our last three promotions.     The last two, we went up with Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Jerome, etc.... this lot are much better in all areas of the park and crucially will continue to improve.  Byram and Hanley would have walked into those teams but are unlikely to feature for us regularly.

We have quality and depth throughout.  We have a spirit second to none and a system of play everyone is familiar with. This is the best team and squad we've had since 92-94.    

Accepted the EPL is potentially the best its ever been this season (quality wise) but we'll thrive in it.    Still reckon 12th.

Yeah last time we went up we had a load of players we knew weren't quite good enough for a top level team. This year we've got lots with the potential to be.

3 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

I forgot Vince's posts, despite blocking him, would still sneak through if someone quoted him-so cheers, Well b back...😁

Typical Vince cobblers mind. Must be a world record for a stuck needle on the record...

92/93 swung on that one game, the comeback and win against Arsenal on day 1. It gave the players the sort of surge of confidence and self belief that clung to them for the rest of that season. I know Liverpool is a nothing to lose fixture and if we lose but play well then yes, its room for hope, regardless.

If we get battered then we have the players and coaching staff to turn the negative into a positive thing and they'll sure as hell react in the right way.

But what if we were to get a point, or, miracles can happen, managed to win? What would that do for everyone?

No one game will ever make a season. But it could help define one. Here's hoping...

Sorry lol

With Amadou in the team, and the other additions (Roberts, Farhmann, Drmic, Byram) I am pretty optimistic now. So yes, I think we are good enough😀

If Alexis Claude Maurice comes on board I think we would have the potential of beating a lot of teams.

On 06/08/2019 at 10:57, Big Vince said:

Honestly though, this guy...

We will be one of the surprise packages this year. We will give lots of teams very good games. We will provide a team playing attractive Premier League football. We did it last year....just that we were too good for that league. And it was a difficult league to dominate. Now, we are where THIS particular group of footballers belong. 

Time to enjoy a PL season and not fear it methinks.

On 06/08/2019 at 12:26, Jools said:

My confidence levels will rise dramatically if we sign that elusive, quality DMC 👍

My confidence levels have risen dramatically and yes, we're good enough 😀

• Like 1