Sign in to follow this  
Skyrider

Are Norwich good enough

I really don't no but last season reports were saying a number of Premier teams were looking at some players now we are in the Premier they are not good enough to play in it and need to replace them I say give them a chance,   I don't think we will but if we go down so be it 

Edited by Skyrider

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows. Looking around the views of other clubs about 50% think no (not really scientific) and that really puts us amongst the favourites to go down. Still a lot on here thought we would go down last season.

I think we may be the surprise package, bit like Wolves when they went up. I fully expect us to take some hammerings along the way though.

I agree with the thrust of what you are saying. We are as good as we could reasonably expect to be given our funding model and the nature of the current transfer market.

Some people seem to think that we should be spending millions on signing new players. This is not the right time for that for a number of reasons. Even though we could afford a few higher earners, it would upset the rest of the squad. There is also no guarantee that a £20m player would be successful in our team.

I am hopeful that we will continue to sign promising youngsters and unheard of foreigners and develop them into top level players. It's a double win strategy because the cost of failure is minimal (low fee and wages) but the prize for success is, at worst, an asset that can be cashed in.

While the spectre of relegation is not to be ignored, I believe (and seemingly the management agree) that our best chance of survival is to retain the unity and ethos that saw us take the Championship by storm last season. I have never seen Norwich play such good (thrilling, attacking, entertaining etc...) football. Let's not rip that apart without giving it a chance at the next level.

• Like 12

The mental strength of the group is going to be tested, that is going to be the thing each game. How you deal with that is paramount, if you can clear your mind and stand by the ethos you will be fine. Fine may still be relegation but if you start panicking and changing the chances are you will fail as our group have been built on this playing style.

Godfrey, Aaron's, Lewis, Buendia have exceptional talent, others are players who had great promise that may be went wayward, Trybull and Leitner. Pukki who flourished in the Championship after flourishing the year before. Drmic and Roberts have had cracking season, have immense promise and now a point to prove after injury plagued seasons.

What we have is a team cohesion on the field and off, hearing about the dinner after the Toulouse game is so positive. This unity is essential, we have a group that is strong.

This has to remain through the season, winning and losing are habits we need to battle to keep picking up results and believing in why we have.

I would not say we have bought any players that I consider are bought as out right, possibly fahrmann. But the Byram, Roberts and Drmic are integrating as a first team squad, as is fahrmann but he could arguably be a starter in this league.

I do think the majority of our team from last season will play, but it would be great to improve that remaining key area. Possibly add a little more if the opportunity presents itself.

I think you have to look at upside of players and many of ours have an upside but I also wonder if some are that their level. That's not a problem I know our limitations and I know we are ahead of schedule. But after this season a couple of players may move on and we need to keep building, as we are. Hopefully by adding a DM and possibly another by the end of Thursday.

• Like 2

Easily on par with the squad who came up with Lambert, and they seemed good enough.

The real question is how far up the table we will finish

having just watched the Barca vs Arsenal highlights, i'd say yes, yes we are.

One or two decent players on show. Not quite in the same class as Emi mind.  :classic_smile:

And a spectacular own goal by the Ar$e! :classic_laugh:

Edited by ron obvious

Losing 2-1 away to Barcelona, in (effectively) a one-off friendly isn't necessarily going to define their season let alone the rest of the PL. However unlike you I didn't see it so presumably the scoreline flatters the gunners.

Agree with Smooth a lot will be how we cope mentally - can all the lads fight through a losing streak; will Teemu prove that stage fright isn't a factor; etc.

I'd add also coping physically. Although fewer games and our squad is overall deeper in quality than I remember for a long time, 1-2 injuries in say RB or DM and we are heading towards substandard/improvising. We'd really not need bad luck like that in this league, with our limited financial power.

I appreciate that many will have lost good players but those clubs coming down from the PL have hardly set the Championship alight.

Stoke were nailed on certs for the title last season, if you listened to the pundits.Our momentum alone will carry us through this season. There are no tired and jaded players who think they should be elsewhere. No players who look to have a hissy fit because they are not in the line up - but a awful lot who I believe will follow the Russell Martin mantra of

"fark me, I never thought I would play in the PL so best make the most of it and give it my all" (my words)

Something I think was all too apparently missing back in the Championship under AN. Heavy defeats caused by what loooked to be a lack of commitment by some players.

This season will be as much about ability as which team 'wants it more'. And any questions over the former are going to be well outweighed by the latter.

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

I appreciate that many will have lost good players but those clubs coming down from the PL have hardly set the Championship alight.

Stoke were nailed on certs for the title last season, if you listened to the pundits.Our momentum alone will carry us through this season. There are no tired and jaded players who think they should be elsewhere. No players who look to have a hissy fit because they are not in the line up - but a awful lot who I believe will follow the Russell Martin mantra of

"fark me, I never thought I would play in the PL so best make the most of it and give it my all" (my words)

Something I think was all too apparently missing back in the Championship under AN. Heavy defeats caused by what loooked to be a lack of commitment by some players.

This season will be as much about ability as which team 'wants it more'. And any questions over the former are going to be well outweighed by the latter.

Agreed. The Lambert squad of 2011/12 contained ten new signings (including January), all of whom played in the second or third tier the season before. The squad survived based on hunger, character, unity and fearless attacking football.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The squad survived based on hunger, character, unity and fearless attacking football.

I think the same applies for this squad. Farke has instilled belief in them and I think this will be enough. The result at anfield might not be positive, ie a defeat , but if we see the character, belief and hunger , we will not be trounced!

Doesn't really matter to me. We are what we are. As long as the football and the style is good I am happy. I was among the critics of DF's style the first season, and I am so delighted to be too hasty or wrong. Lovely football played last year. If we do the same again then good.

In reality, as a Norwich supporter we have nothing to complain about. So many years in the top division and lots of excitement to go with it.

I think we will stay up but there is no concrete evidence to back that judgement. Low spending and going with what we have will have the pundits telling us we will go down. So its up to the lads to prove them wrong.

• Like 1

What I am really concerned about is how our players will react in the goldfish bowl that is the premier league. They displayed solid mental strength last season, but the media pressure of the prem is relentless. I am sure that the club have recognised this and have planned for it, but it's now mainly down to the resolve of the individual.

Also worried about other clubs tapping up our better players which always results in a tragic dip in form - Damien Francis anyone?

But whatever happens it will be a hell of a ride that we should all be looking forward to!

The PL is an incredibly difficult, unforgiving league. We will need to keep our top players (Pukki, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia) fit for most of the season and need things to go our way to have a chance of staying up.

What I would say is that I firmly believe we have done all of the right things to give us the best chance to survive. I've come to the view that for us, trying to sign 'proven' players isn't the optimum method for success. When we do that, we generally are signing players who are taking a step down to join us and that is never a great place psychologically for the player to be. We should use our financial resources to invest in our young players and create a conveyor belt of talent, as we've already started to do now.

What I do know is that, if we do go down, I firmly believe that we have built the conditions for us to be a club firmly planted at the top end of the Championship and in the coming years we will establish ourselves in the PL, even if we have to go down and come back to do it. 

Norwich are good enough for me. Yes, I want them to get better, but our massive change in approach the last couple of years has produced results and an unexpected promotion. So we are in the Premier League again. Time will tell if we are good enough for the PL, I think we will be, there is much to be said for a settled team , playing in a system they all know well. This time around, it feels like a long term project, all outcomes planned for. If by some chance we are not good enough we'll come back stronger, more determined and experienced. We buy and sell on our terms now, long may that last because without zillions behind us we are not in the market for big names just big discoveries.  4 days 33 mins till ko.

I think a lot of people, especially the hordes of neutrals out there are going to hugely enjoy watching Norwich City FC this season.

If last season is anything to go by, and looking at the friendlies we haven't changed our style, we gained a lot of praise because of it. This season will cement, in the minds of the watching public, the superb style of football we play here. 

With Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City early doors we can kiss goodbye to our 14 game unbeaten League run and we could well be at or near the bottom of the League after five games.

As long as our chins don't drop if we get some hammerings I think we've got enough about us in spirit to make a decent fist of it and stay up.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

26 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

As long as our chins don't drop if we get some hammerings I think we've got enough about us in spirit to make a decent fist of it and stay up.

I'm not worried about the players, DF/SW will sort that out, it's the posters on here that concern me. 😱

• Haha 2

My only concern is shipping goals,

I still think we need a CB to play every game alongside Ben. Zimbo is good cover, but I have little faith in Tim and none in Hanley at this level.

Also the much talked about lack of a quality DM to provide defensive cover.

Aside from that I'm confident we'll take it to most teams, will have a go and be entertaining.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think we've got enough about us in spirit to make a decent fist of it and stay up.

Blimey Smithy, you've been on some strong stuff tonight. :classic_laugh:

I think 'I don't know' is the only really viable answer here.

If the transition from Championship to Premier League is as seamless as it could be for our better players then we very much could be. However it isn't a given that they all step up even if we know they are all capable of it. Equally I think some underestimate the step up in quality. Even when playing middling teams like Bournemouth or Watford we're up against some top quality players. 

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

If the transition from Championship to Premier League is as seamless as it could be for our better players then we very much could be. However it isn't a given that they all step up even if we know they are all capable of it. Equally I think some underestimate the step up in quality. Even when playing middling teams like Bournemouth or Watford we're up against some top quality players. 

It's the sheer power & athleticism of PL players that worries me. How big a factor that'll be we'll soon find out ...

8 hours ago, king canary said:

I agree Kingo , "no one knows" to quote the QOTSA song ... But like you I expect nothing other than a rude awakening from the Championship glory of a few months ago. There is so much money in the PL , so many of the best players on earth play in it! We don't have these high earners on our payroll , does not have to be a bad thing( but that's another matter). Any club that's been in the PL for longer than 3 seasons is able to attract these kind of players because of the money they have gained (even without a switch of owner or that kind of thing).

Our boys will have to do it on character...but will character be enough against top quality opposition?...we shall C

Going forward yes we are. Defensively not so sure. All depends if the latter undermines the former. I can see quite a few games where we find ourselves “unlucky” to be behind from the oppositions first attack with us having dominated the opening half an hour!

the rumoured DM signing may make a big difference. 

Best squad we’ve ever gone up with, playing the best football. I’ll be really surprised if we get relegated. If we’d translated our recent league cup games against Prem opposition into points, then our record would be 6 points from 5 games. Doesn’t sound amazing, a narrow loss to Bournemouth, a comfortable win against Cardiff, and 3 of those 5 games against top 6 opposition yielding 3 draws and zero defeats against Arsenal and Chelsea (x2). Taking that as an average, and into account 60% of those games were against top 6 clubs, and that Bournemouth we’re flying at the time also, then that’ll be comfortably over 40 points in a season. We’ll be fine 👍🏼

• Like 1

Time will tell, but one thing is for sure, we are going to ruffle a few feathers on the way.  All teams will expect to beat us - and psychologically that is something we can exploit.  Most lower teams will really get "up" for playing the big teams and big teams get "up" for playing against each other, but they will all have that issue of finding playing Norwich not a big turn on and if they are not totally switched on we will punish them.

Only the very best teams - on last season's performances Liverpool and Man City - have a good enough attitude against every club they play, regardless of where they are in the league,  the others are all wanting in that respect (imo).  It's about being in the moment - Liverpool and Citeh were the masters of that - and we too were excellent at that last season - beaten twice in the league in 7 months - and one of those only due to floodlight failure.

Our attitude will be seen as one of the best in the league as we bounce back from goals scored against us - and the level of ability of all our players will be seen to be as good as many of the teams already in the PL.  Combined with the excellent coaching and mental strength, we should be optimistic and looking forwards to the challenge this season. We are going to be brilliant - again.

We'll be fine

The PL is littered with players who have cost a fortune and have turned out misfits.

As long as our players don't share the 'litle ole Norwich' mentality of some on here we will finish far higher than many think.

We are there by right, by being the best out of 24 teams, by having a fully focused and committed squad. Onne that has shown it can dig out results when needed.

And I don't thinnk any of us coudd say hand on heart that this has not been the first season where there wasn't a scapegoat, a player not up to it or not fully committed. Because in my long years of following City there has always been one or two 'square pegs in round holes, players you would love to ship out... but not with this lot.

We may not do a Leicester, but we sure won't do a Fulham either

• Like 2

Definitely going down - and finishing rock bottom.

Going into an EPL season having paid a top transfer fee of £750,000 is a complete joke. The club seems to be under the illusion that re-signing existing players is the same as team strengthening. Well of course it isn't and the club will be ruthlessly exposed in the big league. The defending is still the same as it was under Alex Neil. They cannot defend any ball into the box and get alarmingly opened up by bog-standard balls through the middle. Klose loses his head, Hanley and Krul are not EPL standard and Zimmermann will be too slow. Godfrey probably the best, but still learning. Let's not forget both Newcastle and Brighton considered Hanley and Krul no good at this level.

But of course the biggest factor mitigating against survival is Delia herself. This ownership model is 30 years out of date and the club has not moved with the times. You cannot go into the EPL on the basis that you are not going to spend any money. The best players go to the clubs paying the best money. End of. All Norwich City's activity this summer and the statements coming out from the club indicate that they are fully prepared for the Championship by August 2020.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1