Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Norwich Fans Need To "Get Real"

Many posters on this ( and other message boards ) are whipping themselves up into a frenzy at the prospect of, should Dean Aston be transferred, Norwich seeing up to 10 million pounds land in their bank account. Please, PLEASE, get real. Less than one year has passed since we acquired Ashton and we all know what he was worth on the market then. Try to pretend for a moment that you are not a Norwich fan ( impossible for some of you ), but rather a fan of a club interested in acquiring Ashton. Your club, in all likelihood, has to watch it''s finances ( including Manchester City ). You strongly hope your club is not incompetent in the process of negotiations. You would hope that your club has been keeping tabs on Ashton over his time with Norwich and, notwithstanding that he is a good prospect, his past year has been mixed. You would hope your scouting staff has detected the possibility of a lingering injury. While he scored a hat-trick recently, you also hope your scouting staff noticed that he also missed a substantial number of chances during the first half of the season playing football at a lower level against often woeful defences. Now, put on your selfish, emotional hat of one of these other acquiring clubs and lick your lips as to how you could entice Norwich to go along with your club''s proposal. You look at the most attractive dead wood on your playing staff that most of you on the inside know you would really be better off without, you recognise that Norwich City have demonstrated a propensity to be attracted to other team''s cast-offs, so you throw in one or two such players, add a bit of a sweetener to the fee that Norwich paid for Ashton and finally ( because there is a risk involved ), you throw in an additional good-sized sweetener as a bonus based upon Ashton''s appearances at club and international level.

So, in summary, it looks something like this: 5 million pounds + one or two pieces of dead wood + 1 million pounds for 40 Premiership appearances + 1.5 million pounds if Ashton achieves a full England cap. Some of you Norwich fans will say "rubbish". Some might even say "that doesn''t sound like too bad a deal", believing Ashton will go on to achieve the bonus pieces. Don''t be too sure that he will depending on where he lands up. Of course, our club and media will push the "idea" that the bid was 7.5 million pounds plus some very talented players in exchange. What I say is, don''t be too sure that Norwich would not go for a deal such as this. Would you?

your right YC.. spot on! i said something similar to this a few weeks back, about how "perfromances dictate price".. at that time Dean Ashton hadnt scored for 8 or 9 games... when i said we could, effectivley, sell him for less than we bought him for i was laughed at....

But heres my reasoning....

Supposing yor the buying clubs manager (say man city) . Perhpas offer Fowler, or not, as a potential sweetner to the deal...

However, knowing that Norwich are maybe not the most financially sound of clubs and that they might be looking to secure long term finances, Man City decides to get Clever.

Norwich receive 1 million pounds stright up, in cash, with say another 1.5 million being paid over 12 months or something... 2.5 million in total...

Now, supposing Man city say they will give us 1 million for deano if he plays 100 games or scores 50 goals, or 1 million if he plays 10 games for England. thats 4 million... Perhaps Fowler signs for us, his value could be 2 million pounds... taking the total for Deano to 5 million, maybe 6 depending on other payments.... Pretty much whats being bandied about.

However, if Deano never makes the appearences, or scores the goals, and if Fowler doesnt sign.. Man City are laughing all the way to the bank as they sign Dean Ashton for 2 million pounds.

Its happened before (With more Savvy clubs) and will happen again to someone.... Lets pray it isnt us...

The Norwich board arent stupid, but i feel that the buying club holds all the cards, especially if the agent (Deanos uncle might i add) decides to make things "difficult" for us.. or if Deano decides he wants to go regardless of what the club say or are holding out for

jas :)

So, after Delia''s ''How to Cook'' we get Yankee''s ''How to be a football supporter'' (or is it soccer?).

Anyway, thanks for telling us how to think. Now after throwing my teddy out of my cot I think I''ll go off and play with my friend Wiz.

My worry (no matter how much we get for Deano, if he goes) is how Worthy will spend the money - "taxi for Hughes and Jarrett!"

your arguement would have cut some ice 5 games ago yankee, but with city  moving up to within 3 points of the playoffs, getting deano on the cheap isn''t an option anymore.  his value doubled from when we bought him becuase of his goals and form in the prem. he''s good enough to go for £8m plus - if we don''t want to sell and if deano doesn''t want to go.if deano wants to go and an auction doesn''t materialise then £5-6m may be a more realistic figure.really, can''t see him going until the summer personally.

What money Link. We are likely going to hear a song that we are very familiar with. Verse: We never had budgeted the money to acquire Ashton in the first instance, it was simply an investment decision that was too good to pass up at the time. Chorus: We need whatever funds we yield from this investment  to help pay down the debt. A couple of more warm bodies come in to appease the restless etc etc. If this is the way it plays out I don''t have a big problem with it which I will explain in a separate thread.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

your right YC.. spot on! i said something similar to this a few weeks back, about how "perfromances dictate price".. at that time Dean Ashton hadnt scored for 8 or 9 games... when i said we could, effectivley, sell him for less than we bought him for i was laughed at....

But heres my reasoning....

Supposing yor the buying clubs manager (say man city) . Perhpas offer Fowler, or not, as a potential sweetner to the deal...

However, knowing that Norwich are maybe not the most financially sound of clubs and that they might be looking to secure long term finances, Man City decides to get Clever.

Norwich receive 1 million pounds stright up, in cash, with say another 1.5 million being paid over 12 months or something... 2.5 million in total...

Now, supposing Man city say they will give us 1 million for deano if he plays 100 games or scores 50 goals, or 1 million if he plays 10 games for England. thats 4 million... Perhaps Fowler signs for us, his value could be 2 million pounds... taking the total for Deano to 5 million, maybe 6 depending on other payments.... Pretty much whats being bandied about.

However, if Deano never makes the appearences, or scores the goals, and if Fowler doesnt sign.. Man City are laughing all the way to the bank as they sign Dean Ashton for 2 million pounds.

Its happened before (With more Savvy clubs) and will happen again to someone.... Lets pray it isnt us...

The Norwich board arent stupid, but i feel that the buying club holds all the cards, especially if the agent (Deanos uncle might i add) decides to make things "difficult" for us.. or if Deano decides he wants to go regardless of what the club say or are holding out for

jas :)

[/quote]

I know where you are coming from but please use some commen sense. There probably will be clauses in the deal but i can guarentee that there will be a big fee payed up front, i would say at least 5 million. This would enable us to recoup what we payed, and have money to spend. There then will be a sell on clause like crewe have now, a payment in a years time and then payments on international debut, and on goals/appearences land marks etc etc and maybe a player.

Thats if ashton goes, the points yankee makes are valid and probably will mean clubs wont pay as much, but we have no reason to sell so wont drop the price just because clubs cant afford him. That would be ridicioulus and even our board isnt that stupid. Ashton wont ask to leave either so we are in pole position, and the price will only go because more than 1 team seems to be interested.

Yankee Canary said without paragraphs

What money Link. We are likely going to hear a song that we are very familiar with. Verse: We never had budgeted the money to acquire Ashton in the first instance, it was simply an investment decision that was too good to pass up at the time. Chorus: We need whatever funds we yield from this investment  to help pay down the debt. A couple of more warm bodies come in to appease the restless etc etc. If this is the way it plays out I don''t have a big problem with it which I will explain in a separate thread.

Truly we are one people divided by a common language.

Reminds me of trying to read ''Catcher in the Rye.''

Happy New Year Yankee