Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Darren Huckerby

Worthington called his performance against Burnley ''chalk and cheese'' in his post match interview. He was absolutely right.

Huckerby scored a great goal but he wasted so much good attacking possession it bordered on the criminal. I think he is basically thick despite his other attributes.

Not only that he was bloody lazy at times tonight, he refused to defend in any way shape or form and I remember Ashton, who was ten yards further upfield running past Huckerby (hands on hips) in the second half in front of the Jarrold Stand to try and challenge two Burnley players who were advancing with the ball into our half after Huckerby had lost possession to them.

In situations as we faced in the second half tonight Huckerby forces you to wonder whether his ''potential'' to score or set up another goal outweighs his ability to close the game down, something you wouldn''t be wondering with any other player except WLY and not because WLY is not trying.

I would have pulled Huckerby off after the incident I described in the third paragraph.

i said the same thing to my mate just after it happened too.  in the end though when it comes down to it players like hucks and WLY help get goals - and goals win games.  For too long this season we have had a lot of possesion at home and not created crap all.  Worthy seems to havbe stumbled upon the righth balance (through injuries)

I agree with you there, its something ive mentioned in my player ratings, but you have elaborated a bit better than I have.

I can think of another incident in the first half where Ashton had to run from farther upfield to tackle Huckerby''s man. Given that we were getting outplayed towards the end I would have took hucks off, put Etuhu in the middle, and put Charlie on the left wing. Drury would have thought all his xmas''s had come at once!

This is another reason to use him as a super sub as i''ve long since advocated. Saw the saints game and he played well but looked tired as the second half of that game wore on. We ask so much of him as a team - i think it''s quite unfair to ask him to go charging up the pitch on his own in the 80th minute on a pressure relieving breakaway and then to come charging back again to defend. Better to give him 20+ minutes with fresh legs when he can still do enough damage to set up goals or score them, and this limits the damage he does to our own team when he''s too knackered to move! He''s no spring chicken anymore and i for one don''t want to see him burnt out in a year or two.

Play Leon (when fit), Deano and WLY as the front three to start.

You make some interesting points on Hucks Rudolph, and I look forward to seeing what responses you stir up. He is indeed an infuriating one, but then who hasn''t been till recently this season of course. For me his propensity to get caught offside so often is his worst feature, you''d almost forgive him if he lacked pace but for gawd''s sake it''s stupid of him to be fractionally in the wrong place so often, his pace and speed of thought ("basically thick"? I have to differ with you  there mate!) make it big odds on that he''d waltz beyond whoever he''s got just offside of most times anyway. And we could do with more of that anyway, he does seem to be doing so more lately in keeping with the team shift upwards, but his runs and crosses had been short on the ground this season.

And talking about comments after the game, could I just point out that Dean Ashton doesn''t have to be sold anywhere? It''s now routine that every Canary Call bod starts talking about "when Ashton is sold". As far as I''m aware, the "we don''t have  to sell any players" schtick from the summer still applies, and that was before the Francis £££s were banked, and if ever there was a case of DO NOT SELL THIS CANARY WHATEVER it is re- Dean and now. Signing him was one of Worthy''s best moves, and he is precisely the "20 goals a season man" NW kept chirping about wanting to get before the Championship-winning season. It was lucky for us that his several attempted signings that didn''t happen then left the opening for Crouch/Hucks to come in, and that was of course the crucial gear shift for City two seasons ago.

Dean is the banker goalscorer yes, but he is also the best player, seasons yet to play,  upfront we''ve had since Chris Sutton, as someone else said on here recently. And selling him would be suicidally stupid, as I said on here before. I try not to repeat myself if I can help it, but in this case I will, again: suicidally stupid to sell Ashton. If the club is serious about promotion, unless he has a burning desire to leave, he has to stay.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

Worthington called his performance against Burnley ''chalk and cheese'' in his post match interview. He was absolutely right.

Huckerby scored a great goal but he wasted so much good attacking possession it bordered on the criminal. I think he is basically thick despite his other attributes.

Not only that he was bloody lazy at times tonight, he refused to defend in any way shape or form and I remember Ashton, who was ten yards further upfield running past Huckerby (hands on hips) in the second half in front of the Jarrold Stand to try and challenge two Burnley players who were advancing with the ball into our half after Huckerby had lost possession to them.

In situations as we faced in the second half tonight Huckerby forces you to wonder whether his ''potential'' to score or set up another goal outweighs his ability to close the game down, something you wouldn''t be wondering with any other player except WLY and not because WLY is not trying.

I would have pulled Huckerby off after the incident I described in the third paragraph.

[/quote]

How lucky we are that your not the manager Hucker !     here you are , whinging about a player who scored a goal !   in fact your diatribe against Hucks  smacks  more of a personal vendetta than any kind of reasoned  assessment !   thick , lazy , can`t defend.......   I would prefer that you faced Hucks  and called him thick !    but that  may be tooo dangerous eh ? 

Hucks IS  a striker , NOT a defender  ... got it ? 

As for " lazy "   !!    what your problem ?      Hucks  has been  THE main man  ..  apart from two short periods  of injury  he`s been ever present  at every match  ,  he gets kicked all over the field  ,  and just soldiers on ,   while  those around him  drop like flies  with long term " injuries " 

A lot has been made of WLY`s sudden  rise in  " form "   ,   but you can bet your arse that if Hucks was out injured , there would be a far different  scenario !  

IMO   , if Hucks had been  out of the game as long as  the misfiring McKenzie  , we would NOT now be  on the brink  of the play-off places ..... get a grip !!

sorry rude old, have to disagree with you.the reason we came under pressure from burnley was an underperforming central midfield - not because of hucks ''defensive failings'' . safs and charlie bossed first 25 mins and didn''t give their boys a sniff - then they went quiet, especially 2nd half. Hucks is the main creative force in the city line-up - he knows how to create chances for others and himself.  for a player of his ability he should score more often - that''s my only criticism of him.cast your mind back to 2-3 seasons ago, when chances from the wing were straight from the gary neville school of crossing - a hoofed cross in the general direction of the penalty area, that 9 times out of 10 was met by a defender - predictable, non threatening and non creative forward play. yawn, yawn. i for one am happy to see hucks try his stuff and express himself, because its better than watching mediocre ''watching paint dry''  hoofs into the box with no end result. he''s a genuine talent, pure and simple.As for bringing him on as a ''super sub,''  this suggestion is only merited  if we have better players already on the pitch.  putting  wly left wing, and pairing  mckenzie with ashton  is not better imo than  hucks left wing, and wly & ashton.  the latter combination is proving itself and we are winning - why would anybody want to change it, leaving our most creative player on the bench?

im sorry sheded but if hucks is a striker as you say why then did ashton,mcveigh and leon both come back and defend .hucks im sorry to say also is very lazy he doesnt tackle ,nor does he head the ball which i find amazing for a pro football player.

how many times does hucks lose the ball trying to do it all himself ,when a simple ball is all that is needed .and its not all down to hucks because we are on a good run its down to the whole team working hard .

it was a good job that drury was on top form last night because he was trying to mark 2 players  everytime why because hucks didnt defend.this is why man city left him on the bench and he didnt get to play .you need all 11 players to pull together for the full 90 mins not just 20 mins.

[quote user="king of latvia"]

im sorry sheded but if hucks is a striker as you say why then did ashton,mcveigh and leon both come back and defend .hucks im sorry to say also is very lazy he doesnt tackle ,nor does he head the ball which i find amazing for a pro football player.

how many times does hucks lose the ball trying to do it all himself ,when a simple ball is all that is needed .and its not all down to hucks because we are on a good run its down to the whole team working hard .

it was a good job that drury was on top form last night because he was trying to mark 2 players  everytime why because hucks didnt defend.this is why man city left him on the bench and he didnt get to play .you need all 11 players to pull together for the full 90 mins not just 20 mins.

[/quote]

I loved the ironic cheer when we went for a header last night! It would have been better were their a defender anywhere near him. I noticed he has this tendency, when a long ball goes up, and its a 50-50 header between him and a defender, he will duck under the ball and hope the defender misses it! Which of course, never happens.

Hucks is God , Okay?.

Any form of criticisim of Darren Huckerby is high treason in my book, and the perpertraitor of this foul crime should be paraded naked before the Barclay, and severly beaten with an old Lowestoft kipper!.

His mutilated body should then be hung, drawn and quartered and stuck on each corner post, failing that, he should be forced to watch an Ipswich game so he realises how blessed he really is!.

if you are allowed to moan and groan about the football club ie worthy delia then i think we are allowed to say what we want.

and that sound quiet nice naked and  beaten with a kipper.

i find all this whining about hucks a bit sad and irrelevant - Hucks is Hucks he isnt going to change. he can single handedly change a team from an average championship team to promotion chasers.

No he cant defend - so what?? no he cant head - so what?? so he is a bit lazy - so what?? when you have been running and beating people all game creating chances and getting hacked down left right and centre its no wonder he doesnt chase about as much as other players - thats not why he is in the team.

for all that he cant do, he can get you promoted. its all anybody needs to know

[/quote]

Lets take this   a step at a time Latvia ,

Hucks  has always played to a different drum   throughout his footballing career , you, and a lot of others [ including managers ! ]     can`t seem to grasp this ...   you want something you can understand  ,  Hucks is NOT a header , so what ?  , as for not tackling ... have you not noticed ?   the tackles come to HIM !    courtesy of  the two or three defenders   that are always tagged on to him  , why do you think  the other clubs do this ?     if he was as  fault ridden as you suggest  , they wouldn`t bother marking him so tightly  !!  and this " lazy "  player  has already scored 5 goals  , and assisted in most of the others .....

Hitherto , Hucks has HAD to do it all himself !   its only in the last few matches that he`s actually had the luxury  of support  when he has the ball !   maybe  he`s just got to get used to this novelty  ....

I`ve been through this quite a few times  about why Hucks was benched   shortly  after he got them into the prem [ remember that !! ]   , but it bears repeating ...   

The reason  why Keegan [ 3 time loser  ]   left Hucks on the bench   is because he was besotted with  what he envisaged as " prem players "    , and bedazzled with some £30 million quid to spend !!  and how he spent !     he bought a succession  of  prem rejects  [ Fowler included ]   , and  presided over a team  that sank slowly  into the relegation zone  , with the club on its knees financially , not once did Keegan dare to swallow his ego , and give Hucks  a run  in the first team  ,  instead he fell over his arse to sell him to us  , thus  removing   THAT  itch !      you don`t need to  go much further with this ,Keegan  pulled his usual trick when it goes tits up ,  doing a runner !     not too surprising  , is it , that when Psycho  took over,  Mancities fortunes   took a turn upwards ...   

As for a team pulling together for the full 90 minutes , whats that got to do with Hucks ?   in case you`ve forgotten already , its only in the last four games   that this team has looked anything like a team !  or are you going to blame him  for that as well ?   Hucks contributed PLENTY to the last four wins  ,  and if he indulges in a bit of showboating  [ the flick ]  , so what ?  football is supposed to be entertaining   for crise  sake  ,   Nigel  should be glad that  Hucks  is starting to express himself  , not worrying that it`ll   somehow ruin teamwork  .....

if you are allowed to moan and groan about the football club ie worthy delia then i think we are allowed to say what we want.

and that sound quiet nice naked and  beaten with a kipper.

we can all guess what you''ve been up to wayne!

[/quote]

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

SHEDED:

Worthington called his performance against Burnley ''chalk and cheese'' in his post match interview.

Well whats that if not whinging about a player who scored a goal!?!?!?

[/quote]

That wasn`t a whinge !     thats Nigel looking  at 4 wins on a trot   and getting the jitters that  his newfound team spirit   might be so fragile that  it`ll go tits up if Hucks   displays  a bit of flair  , I say carry on Hucks  ... flicks an all  ,  its not as if we were  a goal down  when he tried the flick  , and the whingers  would have kept their gobs shut if it had led to a goal  !!

Huckerby was extreemly lazy last night, not his usual self at all

maybe the fact we are playing so many games in the short space of time speaks for itself?

"and the whingers  would have kept their gobs shut if it had led to a goal  !!"

If your referring to the flick that I think you are then it sums up simply why people get infuriated with him. For his goal he cut inside, and placed a lovely shot into the corner.

On the occasion in question he cut inside, so you would think he would shoot again.. But instead he tried a ridiculously tough backheel, aimed at splitting two or three defenders, which would have taken a hell of a lot of skill to pull off. Instead it went straight to the defender. In those two instances it summed up hucks, one magical run and shot, then one good run and a very poor end product. We know his pro''s and con''s, but you just wish his decision-making was a bit better at times.

Hucks is God , Okay?.

Any form of criticisim of Darren Huckerby is high treason in my book, and the perpertraitor of this foul crime should be paraded naked before the Barclay, and severly beaten with an old Lowestoft kipper!.

His mutilated body should then be hung, drawn and quartered and stuck on each corner post, failing that, he should be forced to watch an Ipswich game so he realises how blessed he really is!.

Any port in a storm hey Wiz?!

Too many people looking for perfection methinks......................Huckerby can change a game on his own, no he doesn''t defend but part of Worthy''s job is to find the blend of players that covers this particular situation. Judging by some peoples comments, the likes of Ronaldinho, George Best etc etc would never be allowed a chance to even break into football. You simply cannot pick on one or two "flicks" and decide it is bad judgement, when this sort of thing comes off it invariably leads to a goal-scoring opportunity because it has caught the defence cold.

Guaranteed that in five years time when Hux has retired, people on this board will be reminiscing about what a fantastic player he was. He is dedicated to our club and IMO he is already a modern-day legend.

Mark .Y.

He has never defended and what the point. I dont see him tackle or win any headers. But i think after Worthingtons comments we should see a change. Hucks is great anyway so i dont care

[quote user="Northern Canary"]He has never defended and what the point. I dont see him tackle or win any headers. But i think after Worthingtons comments we should see a change. Hucks is great anyway so i dont care[/quote]

actually i think that is the problem - worthy has played hucks as more of a regular left winger, given him these tackling back duties and it has harmed his effectiveness going forward.  instead of picking the ball up near the half way line he often was picking it up half way inside his own half or being there when we get possesion back. in these last few matches he has played far further up the pitch and given less defensive duties.  as a result our attacking play and hucks himself have improved no end.

If he got more ''stuck in'' as many people seem to suggest he should then he wouldn''t have the energy and creativity that makes me glad he isn''t playing against us. Hats off to Worthy, I think he has tried to address this with the 3 man midfield, particularly with Charlie able to drop off and cover Drury when necessary allowing Hucks more freedom to link up with WLY and Deano. And (touch wood) it seems to be working. I also agree that if that flick had come off the other night we would have been having a very different conversation.    

Can i make what i think is a valid point

If huckerby defends more, we will see less of his attacking play.

If he doesnt run as much we are less likely to get in good positions

Do we want  this?, the answer is NO. I know what nigel means but darren huckerby isnt goiing to tackle like safri or win it in the air like ashton. He''s darren huckerby not anyone else so lets let him do what he does best, and if he does this we will be a bwetter team than if he doesnt.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[quote user="Northern Canary"]He has never defended and what the point. I dont see him tackle or win any headers. But i think after Worthingtons comments we should see a change. Hucks is great anyway so i dont care[/quote]

actually i think that is the problem - worthy has played hucks as more of a regular left winger, given him these tackling back duties and it has harmed his effectiveness going forward.  instead of picking the ball up near the half way line he often was picking it up half way inside his own half or being there when we get possesion back. in these last few matches he has played far further up the pitch and given less defensive duties.  as a result our attacking play and hucks himself have improved no end.

[/quote]

Which is what I`ve been suggesting for months !    ... in fact , if I recall correctly ,  I posted fairly often during our time in the prem  , that Hucks  is wasted  on the left wing ...   in that position  all  the clubs had to do is mark him  , and kick the legs from under him   well before he got anywhere near  their box  , this they did on a regular basis !   

The situation now  is markedly different ,   being part of the front three  , nearer to  the oppo`s box , with the support he never had before , his markers   darent leg him up  as they used to do ,  because a free kick  might result in a goal , also having three or more  strikers  up there obviously divides  the defenders  , and  creates alarm  and confusion ,  not least because  Hucks is always likely   to pull off the unexpected .

I know Nigel  has had problems  with injuries etc  , but he would be a prat  to revert back  to the old   formation  !  

Leicester  , IMO,  aren`t going to be anybodies pushovers , they gave Reading a hard time  for a full hour ,  and   will be well up for it tomorrow !  

Hey, come on, some of you guys!  Hucks is Hucks - and he''s far from stupid.  Yes, he had a number of chances which went a-begging on Wednesday night, perhaps by him trying to be a bit too clever.  But, IMO, that''s actually a sign of a man in-form, a man whose confidence has come back and who''s keen to try things out again

Let''s have more of it, I say!  Not only is it good entertainment - it puts the wind up the opposition.  And, incidentally, he wasn''t the only one ''flicking'' on Wed - we also saw that from Deano.  No criticism there, I notice....  

IMO, Hucks will know only too well what he did and didn''t do well on Wednesday night - he doesn''t need to hear Mr Worthless''s comments about "not making the right decisions as far as passing the ball, flicking, which I do not like, I am not into that at all".

For Hucks, Wed was probably a bitter-sweet evening - some great moves, a fabulous goal and a win for the team, tempered by knowing what else might have been.  IMO, a good manager shouldn''t discourage a unique talent - he should nurture it; not shout to the flipping press about ''chalk and cheese''. 

In any case, perhaps someone should tell Worthless that Norfolk has long been noted for its chalk.... [;)]

The problem is that at half time Burnley adjusted to our formation and caused us more problems. 4 3 3 is fine as long as we are taking the chances.

By the way our problem this season is:

Not enough home goals scored (conceeded is ok) and

Too many away goals let in (scored is not too bad).

Hucks has to make the most of his chances and away from home adjust his game.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

The problem is that at half time Burnley adjusted to our formation and caused us more problems. 4 3 3 is fine as long as we are taking the chances.

[/quote]imo thats becuase safs and charlie went quiet, if we sit back and defend then teams will come onto us, whatever the level.  with some more energy in the middle of the park that wouldn''t have happened. but with 4 games in 8 days, you will get quiet periods in matches for sure.thats not hucks fault.i revert back to worthy''s earlier comments re his criticism of marc libra''s flicks and tricks after the 3-1 slaughter of wolves - he was never the same player after. i for one don''t want history repeating itself, so perhaps worthy should accept hucks for what he is and what he gives us and tolerates his faults.