Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Past and present Norwich players you’ve met

Iwan is a super bloke. Trevor Hockey will always be my favourite though. He just loved football. I was only about 6 and I was football mad but I think he was still as enthusiastic as I was! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Who were the friendliest and which were the more aloof? 

I personally have never met any so couldn’t comment . 

You’d be hard pressed to find a nicer bloke than Russ Martin. Salt of the earth.

• Like 1

I met quite a few of the current squad just before the open top bus parade - they met at Carrow Road and I stayed in the hotel on the ground and checked out at pretty much exactly the right moment - Met Tommy T, Alex Tettey, Tim Krul, Dennis Srbeny, Jamal Lewis, Mario Vrancic (met him on the pitch after Sheff Weds game too as we sponsored the ball), Cantwell. Tim Krul was by far the friendliest (the others seemed a little tired and bleary, almost like they'd been partying for a week 😉 ). Tim went out of his way to come over and have a chat even though he was 20mins late, and was genuinely a really nice guy.

Also was a mascot aged 9, and I remember Crook being particularly friendly, along with Eadie. Vague recollections of getting Rob Newman's autograph once and all I remember was that he was dripping in gold jewellry. 

Also as mascot, remembering I was aged 9, I had watched the mascot the week before have loads of shots at Gunny. I got one solitary penalty and the ba**ard dived full length to tip it round the post

On the other side of the coin... Clint Easton was an absolute helmet and Danny Mills didn’t exactly endear himself to people glugging champagne out of the bottle when poncing about in Ritzy’s😆

a looooong time ago, when I still lived in the beautiful City I was born in, there was a charity Fete at the local School in Catton and a certain world cup winner was there and you could meet him... And (as my grandad who took me there said), if you're a good boy, take a prooooograme, and he might sign it for you. I did just that, and I still have it: Yes ladies and gentlemen, in my 7 /8 year old mind I got Martin Peters to sign his name in my programme...the "obvious" space, just underneath the managers photo on his column...John Bond.  My hero shook his head as i was so insistent that was the space to fill, himself and all the people around him laughed...whatever mate?!...took me years to work it out.

Met lots since but that was the best. However*...

(* a close second = Tim Sherwood and Malcolm Allen in a random (dodgy) South East London pub circa '90(ish) with a 5 minute quiz/stand-off moment after I walked up to chat to them because a) they couldn't work out how or why I knew who they were, b) me wondering why they were in a dodgy SE London "pre-rave" pub, c) them wondering how the f**k a young oik with a very "local" accent could support the glamourous team they both played for. I told them "1 reason only fella's I'm in it for the Trophies".  😉

• Like 1

I met Justin Fashanu by chance when playing a five a side in Attleborough. He was still a youth team member but very encouraging and nice to talk to.

Also met Spencer Prior when here, again a very nice chap indeed.

Maddison was always polite, friendly and even wanting to show me his Fifa UT card on his playstation! I know he has a bit of a reputation out in the city but can only speak positively of him based on the couple times ive met him.

Vadis Ofoe was friendly and a giant. Sergi Canos was very quiet and reserved and polite all the same. Redmond was easy to get along with and exceptionally down to earth.

• Like 1

None recently, so way back when - Clive Woods (after his Ipswich career) and Justin Fashanu (before his Norwich career) Justin was playing our team off the park at Attleborough and one of our midfielders got so mad he squared up to him, Justin just grinned, he was a junior boxing champion at the time. Playing full back that day was not fun, but I'm glad I did now.

Edited by Surfer

Keelan and Hansbury came to my school to select ball boys and I got picked, was against wolves in the cup and although I met a few of the city players the player who was really friendly was crazy horse Emlyn  Hughes. Met both the Fashanus around the same time and both were very nice, Peters was also a down to earth guy. Met many since then and Eadie seemed a nice guy.

For me has to be Duncan Forbes great  bloke he loved the club and always had time for chat .

Edited by Norfolk Fox
Spellchecker

Spent several months working on Russ Martins house, he and his family were the nicest people you could possibly meet. Saw Ian Henderson in a nightclub once, can’t think of anything positive to say!

• Like 1

Met Peter Silvester  nice bloke who told me about the team spirit of the 72 squad and how some of the players would come to the ground on match days on the bus ! Also jimmy bones nip of whisky before matches .also told me his dislike of ron Saunders when he sold him to  Cambridge United after his knee op Also met Tim klose very nice bloke ,met Ken Brown once seemed a bit grumpy  must have been an off day .

Edited by Yellowhammer

Used to see Ken Brown walking his dogs, he always had time for a chat.

Robert Fleck is probably the nicest, always queued up with everyone else to get into Ritzy's.

Used to go & watch Wroxham when they had a few ex players playing & spectating, watching a game with Tony Spearing was always fun. Keith Robson was also great fun, you just had to remember to ignore his racing tips.

I used to go to CEYMS when the young players went, John Fashanu was unbearable, the others were OK.

Dave Bennett was a great guy to know, had an interesting night out with him when Charlie Nicholas turned up, dropping in to see him in his bar in Ibiza was fun. He also persuaded a pub to open and give us a crate of beer at Villa Park when we played Everton in the cup semi-final.

Albert Bennett was always a good host when he had the pub.

Of the more recent players, Grant Holt is great and Russ Martin can't be faulted.

I've been lucky enough to meet lots of them over the years. Including some that I never saw play. Too many to have a favourite but I will say there have been none more gracious and humble than Zimbo.

• Like 2

I've met a lot. The ones that come to mind are:

Queuing for fish and chips with the team but alongside Martin Peters who I met later  too when he signed his book for me dedicated to a friend who died young and he got a little emotional, bless him. 

Playing cricket and batting with Clive Payne who still ran like a hare despite his knees. 

Playing Widow Twanky in a school panto of Aladdin with Ian Crook who played a police officer. I wrote the script too. 

2 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

I've met a lot. The ones that come to mind are:

Queuing for fish and chips with the team but alongside Martin Peters who I met later  too when he signed his book for me dedicated to a friend who died young and he got a little emotional, bless him. 

Playing cricket and batting with Clive Payne who still ran like a hare despite his knees. 

Playing Widow Twanky in a school panto of Aladdin with Ian Crook who played a police officer. I wrote the script too. 

Where did Martin Peters sign it?

13 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Where did Martin Peters sign it?

Just inside the front cover. 

• Haha 1

I think Double N is right. There have been so many who were approachable and generous and unaloof with their time. Maybe Mark Barham.

Too many to mention over the years but Kevin Keelan is right up there with the best including Big Dunc.

I’ve also met a fair few, at my old mans funeral I noticed Phil Hoadley was one of the pall bearers, he was nice. I have to say that Gossy, whilst a nice bloke, had absolutely no sense of what it’s like to be a fan. Danny Crowes attitude left a bit to be desired too.

For music lovers, Tim Burgess, singer with the Charlatans lives in Norfolk and comes into the shop regularly, really nice guy

Neil Adams, a very nice bloke and always popular with the lads when he was at the academy.

I've met a few, but Hucks will always be my favourite.

I met him in Castle Mall when he was out shopping with his family.  I was wearing my San Jose top and a young lad comes bouncing up to me to tell me his dad played for them.  The next thing I know is that the rest of the Huckerby family are coming around the corner. 

Hucks was absolutely charming and very happy to take time out and chat (to be fair, his lad started it 😀).  He wanted to know why many of us had San Jose shirts.  I couldn't draw him into saying anything about Rhoder though.