Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Past and present Norwich players you’ve met

Martin Peters and the rest of the squad when they trained on a pitch in Worstead many many years ago. Clive Payne when he lived almost next door to my uncle. Disco Dale when playing against him at school. Ruel Fox on a couple of occasions and also played against an ageing Colin Suggett when he was on Newcastles coaching team. Chris Waddle played that day as well when he was 17.......awesome

Positive; Ruel Fox, Fleck, Iwan, Rus, Gunn, Newman, Grant Holt, Gary Holt, McNally 

Negative; Sutton, Ian Henderson, Sutch, Alex Neil

A couple aren't players but they are in the spirit of the question.

No players but I used to pick up Delia and Michael from their apartment in London. 

Delia took the call that Darren Eadie was going to Leicester in the back of my cab.

I remember MWJ being very excited about us finally getting Marc Libbra from Hibs.

Always polite, very engaging and even sorted me some tickets for the Derby in '03.

Big Duncan trained the under 18 team I played for - always great and fond memories and I used to deliver papers from Frost's Newsagent to Kevin Keelan, happy days!!! Both great people who were not aloof at all!

Went on Duncan Forbes’ sons stag night back when I used to work with him, big Dunc was an absolute gent, very nice but quite reserved, I think he looked upon our antics partly in amusement and partly in horror 😃

Ewan and Craig Fleming real nice guys always ready to chat

Used to see Duncan Forbes on a weekly basis when he came to my business to sell NCFC Lottery tickets (imagine todays footballers selling lottery tickets after the end of their career) Top Man

Derrick Lythgoe who was my Best Man at my first marriage in 1958

Edited by daly

Interesting a couple of different people have pointed out Mr Utility Daryl Sutch as being a negative, what happened? 

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting a couple of different people have pointed out Mr Utility Daryl Sutch as being a negative, what happened? 

He now works in the estate agent's in Hellesdon as far as I am aware, shame if he was a bit of a **** in the past.

I met Dean Ashton - we were both on the same golf weekend - a really nice guy.

11 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

He now works in the estate agent's in Hellesdon as far as I am aware, shame if he was a bit of a **** in the past.

I met Dean Ashton - we were both on the same golf weekend - a really nice guy.

Yep agreed, I always remember Sutton had a bit of a reputation about himself. Seem to also remember he allegedly got himself into a bit of a brawl in the city one night, shortly before we sold him to Blackburn. As for Dean Ashton, I often see him walking around Carrow Rd on a match day with his wife and kids, nice bloke.

Met millions of players over the years - all have been down to earth, only found one that was a bit aloof. Apart from those already mentioned in the thread, I found Bradley Johnson to be really decent, I think from talking to him he’s really fond of Norwich. 

18 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Positive; Ruel Fox, Fleck, Iwan, Rus, Gunn, Newman, Grant Holt, Gary Holt, McNally 

Negative; Sutton, Ian Henderson, Sutch, Alex Neil

A couple aren't players but they are in the spirit of the question.

I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of coaching a local youth team at the same time Sutton and Sutch were also coaching. 

I can best describe them as not very nice and I'll leave it there. 

Sutch got himself ejected from the playing field for a tirade of abuse at the ref including some fairly choice words (because of a disputed corner) and then turned his attention to my 10 yr olds calling them words that no 10 yr olds should hear and Sutton spent an entire match abusing my players, me and my assistant.

I put it down to the pressure of being an ex-pro and the expectation levels from their players and parents but I think I was being generous 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Rich T The Biscuit

3 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of coaching a local youth team at the same time Sutton and Sutch were also coaching. 

I can best describe them as horrible and at worst describe them as bleeps. 

Sutch got himself ejected from the playing field for a tirade of abuse at the ref including some fairly choice words (because of a disputed corner) and then turned his attention to my 10 yr olds calling them words that no 10 yr olds should hear and Sutton spent an entire match abusing my players, me my assistant.

I put it down to the pressure of being an ex-pro and the expectation levels from their players and parents but I think I was being generous 🤷‍♂️

Wow. Sound right d1ckheads, shouting obscenities at 10 year old kids - could you imagine our current crop doing that? Didn’t think so! What a shame, Rich T.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Wow. Sound right d1ckheads, shouting obscenities at 10 year old kids - could you imagine our current crop doing that? Didn’t think so! What a shame, Rich T.

Yep, a real proud moment in my coaching career having to witness that and resulted in me sending a 20 page document to the Norfolk FA about what's wrong with grassroots football. 

I came close to finishing after that one but carried on. 

I will add that other coaches who weren't ex-pros were just as bad. 

Just a shame that players I'd watched and kind of looked up to weren't quite what I'd hoped they'd be. 

No one's mentioned Alex Tettey or Ivo Pinto.  Last season when both were out of the team (Tettey injured, Ivo just not involved), they both stopped for photos with my son.  I know they are expected to be polite and friendly, but there was no arrogance or ignoring of us.  Both asked him what he thought the score was going to be and made him feel great.  Actually, just remembered, Nelson also stopped for a photo once, he was alright too.

For my 40th, played golf on the NCFC golf day with Mark Barham.  He was a nice guy too, dealing with some real personal tragedy too at the time.

Big Dunc was an absolute gent too - the Club Canary days with him as host on the coaches were brilliant.

Not Norwich, but the funniest was when I got Bruce Grobbelaar's autograph & he drew glasses and a moustache on Kenny Dalglish's picture in the programme!

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Yep, a real proud moment in my coaching career having to witness that and resulted in me sending a 20 page document to the Norfolk FA about what's wrong with grassroots football. 

I came close to finishing after that one but carried on. 

I will add that other coaches who weren't ex-pros were just as bad. 

Just a shame that players I'd watched and kind of looked up to weren't quite what I'd hoped they'd be. 

You looked up to Sutch? He was sh*t! I'm just joking (although, he was sh*t) and understand what you mean. I met Sutton whilst he still played for us, not long before he left. I was still a kid and he was not very friendly to a few kids who wanted to talk to a Professional footballer. 

8 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

You looked up to Sutch? He was sh*t! I'm just joking (although, he was sh*t) and understand what you mean. I met Sutton whilst he still played for us, not long before he left. I was still a kid and he was not very friendly to a few kids who wanted to talk to a Professional footballer. 

He wasn't really the one I looked up to, I'm similar age to them so maybe it was more because they were where I wanted to be 🤷‍♂️

Having said they, once I'd met them both in the flesh, there wasn't much to look up to 😂

I won a quiz about Norwich City in about 1984/5 and went to Trowse to receive a signed ball from Woods & Watson. They were really great guys and my mum still has a lovely B & W picture of the three of us on her sideboard.

Keith O'Neill came into my place of work once with a mate. Nice enough bloke but he needed help to write out a cheque.

Used to drink with Shaun Carey and Bellers in The Murderers in the 90's. Playing cards to pass the time and attempting to outwit Gordon Bennett.

8 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

I won a quiz about Norwich City in about 1984/5 and went to Trowse to receive a signed ball from Woods & Watson. They were really great guys and my mum still has a lovely B & W picture of the three of us on her sideboard.

Keith O'Neill came into my place of work once with a mate. Nice enough bloke but he needed help to write out a cheque.

Used to drink with Shaun Carey and Bellers in The Murderers in the 90's. Playing cards to pass the time and attempting to outwit Gordon Bennett.

I completely forgot Bellamy. I met him in a bar on Prince Wales Road, when he played for Newcastle (and we had just got promoted to the Premier League and had them early in the season). He was with Dyer and Bramble, both of whom were all over every girl in the place. Bellamy just sat with a beer talking and was generally a really nice guy. He bought me a pint though, anyone who does that is OK in my book.

On 04/08/2019 at 00:22, kick it off said:

I met quite a few of the current squad just before the open top bus parade - they met at Carrow Road and I stayed in the hotel on the ground and checked out at pretty much exactly the right moment - Met Tommy T, Alex Tettey, Tim Krul, Dennis Srbeny, Jamal Lewis, Mario Vrancic (met him on the pitch after Sheff Weds game too as we sponsored the ball), Cantwell. Tim Krul was by far the friendliest (the others seemed a little tired and bleary, almost like they'd been partying for a week 😉 ). Tim went out of his way to come over and have a chat even though he was 20mins late, and was genuinely a really nice guy.

Also was a mascot aged 9, and I remember Crook being particularly friendly, along with Eadie. Vague recollections of getting Rob Newman's autograph once and all I remember was that he was dripping in gold jewellry. 

Also as mascot, remembering I was aged 9, I had watched the mascot the week before have loads of shots at Gunny. I got one solitary penalty and the ba**ard dived full length to tip it round the post

Was mascot aged 8 and Gunny was fantastic with me! I took a load of shots at him and a few went in 😉 had Andy Marshall whipping crosses in for gunny to practice his handling. I didn't win any of those headers funnily enough! Eadie was particularly nice and gave me his spare programme after I lost mine. Had a bit of time with Ade Akinbyi as well while the rest had a team talk. I think he must have been the spare squad member or something as it was when he was v young still.

Met Danny Mills a couple of times who seemed reasonable though his son said Norwich were rubbish when his dad asked him his thoughts!

Not met many of the newer lot bar at the end of games for a quick selfie or shake of hands.

On 04/08/2019 at 19:34, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve also met a fair few, at my old mans funeral I noticed Phil Hoadley was one of the pall bearers, he was nice. I have to say that Gossy, whilst a nice bloke, had absolutely no sense of what it’s like to be a fan. Danny Crowes attitude left a bit to be desired too.

For music lovers, Tim Burgess, singer with the Charlatans lives in Norfolk and comes into the shop regularly, really nice guy

Phil is a top guy, I grew up with his 2 sons.

I went tin wembley with him and his sons when we won the Milk Cup.

Edited by Rich T The Biscuit

Must say he was OK when he was at Sprowston High, don't think he ever nicked any sweets

23 hours ago, Midlandscanary said:

Big Duncan trained the under 18 team I played for - always great and fond memories and I used to deliver papers from Frost's Newsagent to Kevin Keelan, happy days!!! Both great people who were not aloof at all!

Forgot to mention Justin Fashanu who used to come into Samson and Hercules nightclub (I was behind the bar at the back of the stage), top bloke and gave me and a couple of mates tickets (in the directors box) to watch some scummy team and then into the Tolly Cobbald bar afterwards and mixed with Allan Hunter, Mick Mills et al, great time, can't remember the score but happy journey back due to Tolly and no police on way

Butterworth, Culverhouse, Gunn and Polston outside of Littlewoods I think it was. Iwan in my local and Danny Mills. All were top fellows and polite.

Phil Lythgoe is a great guy. He was working to sell advertising at one time, and use to come to our business regularly, and he stops for a chat if he sees me at the matches.

Not Norwich related - but my mate went on his stag to Dublin a few weeks ago and met John Barnes at the airport on the way out. Got himself a picture with him, John's clearly having a great time and enjoying the interaction.

I won't share the photo for various reasons, but he is now the proud owner of a photo to remember the occassion where John Barnes has his arm round him, and his other hand is pretending to grab my mate's crotch and my mate is in a PVC maid outfit.

When I was around eight years old the town I lived in had their Christmas street fair and parade. The theme that year was 'pirates'. All the kids in town dressed up as pirates and the best one won a prize.

That year I was judged to be the best dressed pirate, and so I won. I had my prize (a VHS copy of the movie 'Hook') presented to me by the midfield maestro Ian Crook. I was ecstatic to win and to meet him. He seemed very nice, and his signature looked a bit like an oil slick.

That was a great day 🙂

Also, a few years later, when I used to work as a train conductor, I was a member of the gym over the road (when it used to be fitness exchange). One day I was in the jacuzzi with my girlfriend and Darel Russell jumped in. Chatted for a bit and he seemed like a nice guy too.

Edited by Dogbo Daggins

3 hours ago, kick it off said:

Not Norwich related - but my mate went on his stag to Dublin a few weeks ago and met John Barnes at the airport on the way out. Got himself a picture with him, John's clearly having a great time and enjoying the interaction.

I won't share the photo for various reasons, but he is now the proud owner of a photo to remember the occassion where John Barnes has his arm round him, and his other hand is pretending to grab my mate's crotch and my mate is in a PVC maid outfit.

What happens in Dublin.......