Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Todd to start?

Been really impressed with him in the last 2 friendly matches, has certainly done enough to warrant a place in the match day squad. I wonder, can he play as a DM? 😂

I'd go with Buendia (absolute quality), Cantwell (movement) and Hernandez (pace and unpredictabilty).    For all Steipermanns efforts, I fear (hope he proves otherwise) that his lack of Premier League quality will hold him back.     Robert's will also be unlucky not to start, but the lads from last season deserve the chance.

38 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I'd go with Buendia (absolute quality), Cantwell (movement) and Hernandez (pace and unpredictabilty).    For all Steipermanns efforts, I fear (hope he proves otherwise) that his lack of Premier League quality will hold him back.     Robert's will also be unlucky not to start, but the lads from last season deserve the chance.

...how have you gauged Steipermann's lack of premier league quality?!

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...how have you gauged Steipermann's lack of premier league quality?!

Did say I hope he proves otherwise but in answer, own eyes.... he gives the ball away quite often.   He did really well last year, probably surpassed everyone's expectations and this could be a level too high for him.   He offers height and something different but he's not as gifted as our other offensive players.

Very impressed with him yesterday. The central role suits him so much more. Of course, Toulouse weren't physical but with that luxury he exploited the middle very well. Reminded me of the way Graham Paddon used to play for us.

To accommodate him may be difficult for DF to consider but I'm sure he will try. Will he sacrifice width to do that? I doubt it. Liverpool's full  backs are too good to ignore. But I thought Emi looked out of sorts first half yesterday but did improve second half. But I doubt DF will leave him out.

It is a dilemma though. I wouldn't see Todd as a game changer if he came on but Onel could be. But I don't think wide is Todd's best position.

Buendia and Steipermann are two of the first names on the team sheet.

Roberts, Cantwell and Hernandez are competing for the third spot at the moment. All have done well in pre-season. 

As others have mentioned, Hernandez will give us some much needed pace in the final third. We won't be able to dominate the ball and hence speed on the counter will likely present our best opportunities. Therefore he would get the nod from me.

11 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Buendia and Steipermann are two of the first names on the team sheet.

Roberts, Cantwell and Hernandez are competing for the third spot at the moment. All have done well in pre-season. 

As others have mentioned, Hernandez will give us some much needed pace in the final third. We won't be able to dominate the ball and hence speed on the counter will likely present our best opportunities. Therefore he would get the nod from me.

Hernandez will be a very effective out ball if we are able to beat the press. Question for me is whether that is more effective from the start or near the end of the match on more weary legs. Gut tells me he should come on as an impact player.

On 03/08/2019 at 22:49, nutty nigel said:

Has Todd done enough to warrant a start at Liverpool?

Having seen the last two friendlies I think he's earned it.

Or do we still want him loaned out😉

There's no way we should loan him out. He has come on leaps and bounds recently and has enormous potential. He will do well this season. He has more about his game than the over rated Jack Grealish 

Well i have decided to get Todds name on my shirt. I believe in his capabilities and i am confident he will excel this season. DF didn't give him shirt number 14 for nothing. 

Todd just needs to score a few like Buendia and Hernandez did last season . Has all the other attributes but I think goals would boost him quickly to another level . 

On 04/08/2019 at 08:04, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Liverpool leave a lot of space in behind their full backs. Someone like Hernandez or Roberts has the pace to exploit that better than Cantwell. 

His good pre-season probably means he’ll get a place on the bench, when going into the summer that seemed unlikely. 

Would expect to see Stipermann start against Liverpool, just due to his physicality and being able to hold the ball up better than Cantwell. I think Cantwell will certainly flourish in the premiership and his all round game should suit the prem. Big season for the lad coming up.

The fact he started in the last 2 games and played the majority of both games should be a clue to if he starts or not

Giving the attacking nature of the Liverpool fullbacks I think Cantwell will get the nod over Hernandez as he is better defensively and will play a wider role. DF loves Cantwell and people are going to have to start getting used to it.

• Like 1

The possible deciding factor is that Cantwell is English and that massively increases the potential value if he is successful in the Premier League. I actually think Hernandez is the better player on the whole, but think Cantwell will be favoured as more of a long-term investment.

Not necessarily over Todd, who’s been a revelation in preseason and really stepped up to the plate, but Hernandez has to start for me wide left against Liverpool - infact he’d be the first name on the team sheet. He has exactly the right attributes to trouble them. He is fearless and direct, and will give the Liverpool defence something to really think about. If we are to get anything at all against Liverpool, then I expect Onel to play a key role in this. He’s looked very lively in preseason. 

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Giving the attacking nature of the Liverpool fullbacks I think Cantwell will get the nod over Hernandez as he is better defensively and will play a wider role. DF loves Cantwell and people are going to have to start getting used to it.

I am not sure I agree that Cantwell is better defensively than Hernandez? As much as I think Trent AA is the best English player, by some distance, he is not brilliant defensively and I think Hernandez would cause him more trouble than Cantwell would.

Onel for me. Running straight at them with pace to burn on a fast break.Terrifying and I dont care who you are.

Cantwell may well get his chance but as others have noted Onel may be the key to their defense or will certainly make them wary of being exposed.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

The possible deciding factor is that Cantwell is English and that massively increases the potential value if he is successful in the Premier League. I actually think Hernandez is the better player on the whole, but think Cantwell will be favoured as more of a long-term investment.

I can't see Farke picking his starting XI based on 'long term investment'. He'll pick the side based on who is more likely to help the side get a positive result, and nothing more.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I am not sure I agree that Cantwell is better defensively than Hernandez? As much as I think Trent AA is the best English player, by some distance, he is not brilliant defensively and I think Hernandez would cause him more trouble than Cantwell would.

Agreed... I'm not convinced Cantwell is better defensively. Nothing against Cantwell, but Hernandez is certainly no less likely to press the opposition.