Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Todd to start?

Has Todd done enough to warrant a start at Liverpool?

Having seen the last two friendlies I think he's earned it.

Or do we still want him loaned out😉

Not for me. Good player no doubt; he deserves to be in the squad and to get his chance during the season but I wouldn't have him ahead of Buendia, Hernandez, Stiepermann, or Roberts (probably in that order) for the three behind Pukki.

Onel has looked lively. He started last season extremely well - is he worth a start? Todd Onel Roberts if we are going off preseason form.

Edited by Decemberists

He’s clearly worked hard and has improved a lot, but we may get one clear cut chance against Liverpool and I wouldn’t bank on Todd finishing it I’m afraid.

Hard to imagine that Buendia won’t start when fit, we didn’t win a game without him last season. Stiepermann almost certain to start centrally as we lack height throughout the team and he offers that little bit more defensively as well as having a happy knack of scoring. The other place looks up for grabs. Todd has impressed throughout pre-season and could count himself unlucky if he doesn’t start but Onel is stronger and perhaps does the ‘dirty work’ better. For that reason I think he might get the nod. 

Todd has shown that he has plenty to offer and he’ll undoubtedly get game time, but, an away game at the European champions when we’re likely to have less of the ball might not be a game to start him. 

That said, on the pre-season I’ve seen, he’d be ahead of Emi for sure although the Argentinian Ox grew into the match today. 

Options, eh? If only we’d spent £100m..

He deserves to in that he has been more impressive than Emi, Onel or Stieperman in pre-season. On the other hand they deserve it based on performances last season.

The clincher for me came in the fourth minute today. Short corner on the left. Clearly rehearsed. Very good late movement by Todd enables him to play in Jamal. And I am thinking, would they work on an intricate rehearsed corner at this stage of pre-season, and involve a player who is not going to start on Friday.

It will depend on who Farke things is best suited to counter L'Pools threats and exploit any perceived weaknesses. That's usually how manager's pick the team.

However the sub plot here is whether Cantwell is worthy of a place in the staring XI. He certainly looks quicker and stronger so I wouldn't be too concerned about hi playing against any PL team, but as I ssid it is not about who is our best - but who is deemed best in any particular game.

And after both of the last two games I cannot see any who don't look up to the task. Roll on Friday.

Todd Cantwell - it's very easy to knock your own BUT remember, a) he's still very young, b) Arsenal came sniffing a few years ago, c) I think he'll be the surprise package this season, regardless of what happens, d) he's played very well in pre season.

*also - can you really see Farke (or any manager below Pep) starting 2 out and out wingers (Roberts + Onel) against Liverpool away?

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

He’s clearly worked hard and has improved a lot, but we may get one clear cut chance against Liverpool and I wouldn’t bank on Todd finishing it I’m afraid.

He might actually create that one clear cut chance..... open up your mind to the possibility!!!!!    

9 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He might actually create that one clear cut chance..... open up your mind to the possibility!!!!!    

Where's Jedi when you need him?

He's grown a couple of inches in the summer and done a couple of flicks and touches against Luton and now people are thinking he's first name on the teamsheet?

..what about the players who played the 40 odd games last season?

Steipermann is essential to creating space for Pukki and bearing much of the physical load....Buendia obviously starts...and Hernandez , must play ahead of Cantwell as a wide player every time as he is still the player who offers pace and the drive to run at a full back and get a cross in....without at least one of those , be it him or Roberts on one of the 2 wings , we would lack the ability to counter quickly.

....this pre season has possibly served Cantwell well in being now considered first alternative to Steipermann in the no.10 role.....but thats all

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He's grown a couple of inches in the summer and done a couple of flicks and touches against Luton and now people are thinking he's first name on the teamsheet?

..what about the players who played the 40 odd games last season?

Steipermann is essential to creating space for Pukki and bearing much of the physical load....Buendia obviously starts...and Hernandez , must play ahead of Cantwell as a wide player every time as he is still the player who offers pace and the drive to run at a full back and get a cross in.

....this pre season has possibly served Cantwell well in being now considered first alternative to Steipermann in the no.10 role.....but thats all

Let DF decide that..... with the movement of the front 3, we don't necessarily need out an out wide players.   Any combination might work.   No doubt Buendia, Cantwell and Steipermann are all suited to the No. 10 role.     The crucial factor is how effectively we get the ball into their feet in space so they can do the business.    

If we can sort the finishing out, we may be top Friday night.   OTBC.   

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Let DF decide that..... with the movement of the front 3, we don't necessarily need out an out wide players.   Any combination might work.   No doubt Buendia, Cantwell and Steipermann are all suited to the No. 10 role.     The crucial factor is how effectively we get the ball into their feet in space so they can do the business.    

If we can sort the finishing out, we may be top Friday night.   OTBC.   

...we may (or may not) need wide players per se...bur we still need pace sonewhere in the side , if nothing else to provide an outlet.....Hernandez is still our best bet there

......without having someone who can run at speed, any oppisition would know that they can press high knowing they cant be caught on the break

Didn't help his cause missing that shot in the second half. A clinical finish then would have really been a pointer for Friday. 

One of the better and more consistent performers in preseason, so wouldnt be surprised if he did start.

Would be more than happy if Todd starts, another great academy product coming through, simple as that really. 

I am a big fan of Cantwell, another Maddison-like player with great first touch, good vision and positive movement as soon as he has the ball. 

But he’s missing Maddison’s finishing ability - add that element and we’ll all be excited to see his long Canary career, but if he does not add that, he’ll become a deep lying playmaker for someone else in the Championship I fear.

Liverpool leave a lot of space in behind their full backs. Someone like Hernandez or Roberts has the pace to exploit that better than Cantwell. 

His good pre-season probably means he’ll get a place on the bench, when going into the summer that seemed unlikely. 

On the evidence of pre season I’d say Stiepermann is fortunate to retain his place (if he does) but by the same token we all know how important he is to how we play and how we tend to play better with him in the side.

Cantwell probably does deserve to start based on his pre season form but then Roberts also starred in two games and I also think we could do with a pace threat out there so for that and his defensive work rate I suspect Onel may get the nod. 

Two seasons ago we were saying the same thing about Maddison. 

Todd injects some urgency into the play and makes some great, well timed runs into the box. That header in the first half would have been a brilliant goal. 

I don't think that Farke would be influenced by the missed second half chance, but I think he will keep as close as possible to the unbeaten team from the second half of last season. 

Todd has been excellent pre-season and deserves the place when it comes his way. 

He has for me Nutty, just think we might start with Buendia, Cantwell & Steipermann behind Pukki.

I think they’ll want three who will also back track and do the hard tackling work too.

I can see Hernandez & Roberts coming on if we’re chasing the game later on.

Yes for me matey.

I think we're looking at two players from four in the attacking midfield three, as Buendia will definitely play. Personally I'd play Stiepermann and Hernandez, although Cantwell would be very unlucky to miss out based on his preseason form. Stiepermann gives us a more physical threat in that area and Hernandez is the type of player who will cause problems for any side with his unorthodox style of dribbling. 

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think we're looking at two players from four in the attacking midfield three, as Buendia will definitely play. Personally I'd play Stiepermann and Hernandez, although Cantwell would be very unlucky to miss out based on his preseason form. Stiepermann gives us a more physical threat in that area and Hernandez is the type of player who will cause problems for any side with his unorthodox style of dribbling. 

I'm wondering if it might be best to start with Todd & bring Onel on with half an hour or so to go, when his pace & dribbling could be devastating against a defence starting to tire.

Whatever, we have some good options all over the pitch. Isn't it wonderful? What a time to be a Norwich supporter! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'm wondering if it might be best to start with Todd & bring Onel on with half an hour or so to go, when his pace & dribbling could be devastating against a defence starting to tire.

Whatever, we have some good options all over the pitch. Isn't it wonderful? What a time to be a Norwich supporter! :classic_smile:

I considered that too actually and it's a very viable option.