Sign in to follow this  
WD40

Starting Midfield Pair

Final game of the pre-season is now finished. No new CDM option has come in, and even if one did they wouldn’t start with such little preparation. We have seen Farke’s chosen starting midfield pairing at some point during this pre-season.

So, assuming a 4-2-3-1 formation, who is your choice for midfield pairing to start the season?

With my realistic hat, on I think we will go with Trybull and McLean as the more defensive of the pairing options for Liverpool at least.

Id be surprised if it wasnt Trybull and Mclean. Though Tettey is obviously experienced at this level. Farke is consistent with his team selection. Although last season, McLean was the incumbent, so though Vrancic made an important contribution in the crawl over the finish line, I think Mclean is ahead of Vrancic and Leitner at present. Farke will see McLean has done little to warrant being dropped so will see it as Leitner and Vrancic's place to displace him

Leitner is a must for me. I think he's the best central midfielder we have. Ideally, we could fit Leitner and Vrancic in the starting midfielder but without changing formation that has nowhere near the defensive cover it needs.

12 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Leitner is a must for me. I think he's the best central midfielder we have. Ideally, we could fit Leitner and Vrancic in the starting midfielder but without changing formation that has nowhere near the defensive cover it needs.

I agree he’s technically our best, and to beat Liverpool’s press we need to have precise passers of the ball. It’s possible he could partner Trybull to start against Liverpool

Trybull has to play as he's the primary holding midfielder in the squad, but the other place is very much up for grabs.

Without sounding like I'm knocking McLean, I think Vrancic and Leitner and the best two midfielders we have, but Vrancic hasn't played much in preseason so I think he's out of the running. I'd probably be leaning towards McLean for this one as he's the man in possession of the shirt, so to speak, but as I said before, I think Leitner is the better player overall and it's tough to leave him out.

The other option would be to play both Leitner and McLean and take out our attacking midfielder, but I'd be reluctant to do that as we're comfortable with the formation and the system and we've already got a bit of a selection headache in the attacking midfield position anyway- a couple of those will be unlucky to miss out as it is.

For me Leitner and Trybull.

Last season Vrancic came on a lot for Leitner in the first half of the season and set up chances, had assists and goals.

If vrancic was fully fit I would want him in the team, his set pieces are superb, composure etc.

Tybull is a little under the spotlight if we have not signed a DM as it will always be the position I look at throughout the game.

But for me McLean is a back up player to Leitner and Vrancic.

So I see Vrancic and McLean on the bench and hopefully Mario gets a bit of a run out.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Trybull and Leitner all day long. 

Agree, but McLean didn't do himself any harm yesterday as I thought he played well, and not just because he scored.