Sign in to follow this  
My spoon is too big!

Headshrinkers

Sorry to be a know-it-all, but there''s something I''d like to clear up. Ever since the revelation that NCFC have been consulting a sports psychologist we''ve seen messages on the board about so-and-so''s sessions with "a shrink." Such comments are wide of the mark.

The noun "Shrink" applies to clinical psychologists, psychiatrists and psychotherapists. All these professionals deal with mental illness. The chap with a couch in his office who asks "Tell me about your mother," is a psychiatrist. If you''re trying to overcome depression or a drug addiction you''re likely to see a clinical psychologist or a psychotherapist.

A sports psychologist, however, is a kind of occupational psychologist. They do not deal with mental illness, nor necessarily with individuals. Their remit is to look at how organisations function and to help increase effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction at work. They will promote little mental "tricks" you can use to keep yourself in a good frame of mind, such as the huddle we''ve seen the lads using before the game. They do not give therapy, and they''re not shrinks. Moreover, there is no evidence that any member of our squad needs therapy, although I''m not so sure about some of the contributors to this board!

More information:

Psychologist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychologist

Psychiatrist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatrist

Wow Norcal, interesting stuff.

As you clearly know what you are talking about who do you recommend for a delusional gentleman of senior years who goes around message boards claiming to be a Wizard with powers to affect the results of football matches through magic?

This is not particularly insightful from Norcal given that every home in California has all of these definitions ( along with phone numbers ) attached to their refrigerator door.

So the humour passed right over your head NorCal ?     I think it was me that   coined the " shrink "   description   for  this " sports psychologist  "  we now have on the staff  ,   personally I think  he should be  booted off the premises !   

Hasn`t California  the highest ratio of shrinks , sorry, pychiatrists ,  per head of population  than anywhere else in the world ?

[quote user="NorCal Canary"]

They will promote little mental "tricks" you can use to keep yourself in a good frame of mind, such as the huddle we''ve seen the lads using before the game. [/quote]

so basically they stop you from getting into the "wrong frame of mind" which equates to depression... which u said a shrink deals with..... so the psychologist = a shrink by that logic

Either way, if this chap is our new manager surely we dont need Worthy anymore???

jas :)

For all Americans on this board:

Irony

''an expression of meaning, often humourous or sarcastic, by the use of language of a different or opposite tendency.''

Try watching a few episodes of a programme named ''The Office'' it will assist you.

Duuudes, like where''s the love?

First, I''m not American, I''m English. I just live in California for the time being. I don''t think any Americans know where Norwich is, let alone read this board. They''re all into Man U.

No, the "humour" didn''t pass over my head. It''s just that the word "shrink" is only ever used negatively, and it seems the impact of the sports psychologist has been anything but negative. Confidence is key to getting out of the Championship - look at Reading. What''s keeping them up there? They''ve not made big signings, there''s no new manager, they''ve just got a lot of self-belief which came off the back of a good early-season run.

We didn''t have a good early season run. We weren''t having luck. It''s clear the lads'' heads were down after our humiliating exit from the Premiership. No amount of hard physical work was going to sort out the malaise. Getting the lads some mental coaching was the right thing to do.

The Office? Seen it. Bought it. Got the stapler. In jelly.

[quote user="NorCal Canary"]Duuudes, like where''s the love? First, I''m not American, I''m English. I just live in California for the time being. I don''t think any Americans know where Norwich is, let alone read this board. They''re all into Man U. No, the "humour" didn''t pass over my head. It''s just that the word "shrink" is only ever used negatively, and it seems the impact of the sports psychologist has been anything but negative. Confidence is key to getting out of the Championship - look at Reading. What''s keeping them up there? They''ve not made big signings, there''s no new manager, they''ve just got a lot of self-belief which came off the back of a good early-season run. We didn''t have a good early season run. We weren''t having luck. It''s clear the lads'' heads were down after our humiliating exit from the Premiership. No amount of hard physical work was going to sort out the malaise. Getting the lads some mental coaching was the right thing to do. The Office? Seen it. Bought it. Got the stapler. In jelly.[/quote]

Whats keeping Reading up there ?   well it sure as hell  isn`t a trickcyclist !  [ another negative term for a shrink " ]   they have a team thats " clicked "   from the beginning of the season , and if you could bottle  what makes them click  , any manager would pay a fortune !

The upturn  in our fortunes  has  nothing to do with any psychologist ...  key players coming back from injury , plus a change of formation   did the business ..... 

Confidence doesn`t come  out of   verbal crap from a psychologist , it comes from  players pulling their fingers out   , and doing what they`re paid to do ,  this is borne out by the recent statement from Greeno  , wherein  he says the players  got behind the manager   , and   gave it more than they have done previously .....

Employing a " sports psychologist "  is the thin end of the wedge ,  the one we`ve got now got lucky   , if the club thinks its all down to him   it wont be long before we have " counsellors " running onto the field everytime  a player goes down  ,  and group sessions , where our players are urged to  to get in touch with their feminine side  !    we could end up   with a bunch of jessies  in pink tights !!   [6]      

Greeno said he didn''t like criticism from nameless people, like me I suppose. I presume they didn''t like NCISA having a go either. Infact, they no doubt hated the stick from the patient fans and comments in general.

What none of them will acknowledge  is that all of the above played it''s part in developing his ''siege mentality'' and was the metaphorical kick up the backside they all needed.

Now I''m puzzled Sheded....I thought that''s what we have, players that are jessies in pink tights and fans wearing red undies for luck. Is there another explanation for what''s been occurring?

now were up there, greeno and rick waghorn all saying worthy never lost the dressing room etc. putting out the spin and re-writing history to suit. players brought together by sniping, siege mentality etc. yeah right. the way they''d played at qpr, wolves, derby, millwall etc. didn''t give the appearance of a happy in love bunch, in harmony with each other and the manager.  the fact jarrett is going great guns at plymouth and doesn''t want to return says it all.the squad is small at city and must be on decent money for this division and so yeah, they''ve got an interest in keeping things cozy, but surely a shrink or motivational coach was employed because the players were underperforming and every trick worthy tried didn''t work. I''m as happy as the next city fan were doing well and our season has ignited, but could the city players and media keep it real please.

My "Wallace & Gromit" XXL Boxers (after a good de-grease) are remaining close to my nether regions after the recent wins.

I''m afraid as they were somewhat slightly soiled, my health (and anybody else''s health in close proximity to me) - was under serious threat! Therefore, said boxers (after a good whacking with a cricket bat), then had to be sterilised, and I now feel  it may result in a draw against ''The Foxes''. But, my boxers aren''t red! They''re actually a lighter shade of heavily stained brownish grunge........A pro footballer should be self motivating...........and not require a nursemaid, ''trick cyclist'', sleazy agent! or any other social leech that doesn''t immediately spring to mind!

Since the history of this game, the transition from players who took several ''whacks'' played for a pittance, but were proud to wear the shirt - to overated and overpaid lightweights who care nought for contracts..........How many on here have "Jobsworths" in their company/employment, who are about as much use - as a honey bee with hayfever? OOH! it really winds me up! I accept that a footballer and his career is a short one, but anyone''s career may be a short one.........Get real, what''s next? a Club Medium? Fortune teller?

Self-belief and confidence works for me..................................I err, think ;~)   OTBC