Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

' Paying For Sins Of The Past '

As far as our current transfer policy is concerned Farke reckons we are still paying for sins of the past. I wonder who he is pointing the finger at with this statement ?

As he had overall control of lliterally everything at Carrow Road and Colney it just has to be McNasty aided by the much heralded at the time Football Board.

Edited by TIL 1010

It’s all well and good looking back with perfect hindsight, but it was a damned if you do and damned if you don’t thing: we supporters were desperate to spend and we did, but it ended up not working out..thankfully we’re still ok as there’s a lot of sides in a much worse financial position.

That said, I don’t swallow the idea that we can’t lay our hands on enough to get the extra depth/positions sorted...even a loan with a view to buy-type scenario would fit, or we do still have a PL loan spot to fill. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

36 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

As far as our current transfer policy is concerned Farke reckons we are still paying for sins of the past. I wonder who he is pointing the finger at with this statement ?

As he had overall control of lliterally everything at Carrow Road and Colney it just has to be McNasty aided by the much heralded at the time Football Board.

The ‘Football board’ was scrapped as soon as Alex Neil came in. 

Would probably have been better to keep it and have avoided his insistence on signing Steven Naismith. 

I think the ‘sins of the past’ statement is a bit of smoke and mirrors. The only transfer from the pre Farke/Webber days that was around was Nelson. While they have probably had to pay him off to get him the Greece the rest left this summer.

Norwich were starting this season with a relatively clean slate. Probably the biggest ‘sin of the past’ this season is Ben Marshall. 

He could of course more be taking about the lack of investment in the training ground, but that was already paid for before this summer - the club just chose to pay the loan back early. 

49 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I’d say you just look at the players we were paying a lot to over the last couple of seasons who weren’t playing for us. And the decisions made about signing them.

Spot on. The profit we made on Madders was eaten up by transfer fees and wages to the likes of Naismith, Oliveira, Wildschut, Martin and Jarvis. Naismith was obviously the worst example of the lot. 

The only transfer mistake the current regime has made is Marshall (and the German centre half whose name escapes me) which I'm prepared to forgive when you consider the other signings they have made. 

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Spot on. The profit we made on Madders was eaten up by transfer fees and wages to the likes of Naismith, Oliveira, Wildschut, Martin and Jarvis. Naismith was obviously the worst example of the lot. 

The only transfer mistake the current regime has made is Marshall (and the German centre half whose name escapes me) which I'm prepared to forgive when you consider the other signings they have made. 

So where did the transfers of the Murphys, Brady, Redmond go? Also, parachute payments and prem money 

The previous regime had a pretty attrocious recruitment record.

Transfer fee wise - I actually do not think we have ever really overspent in the premier league. While fees for players like RvW, Naismith, Klose etc were significant, they were within our means as a premier league club. 

In my opinion, these 'sins of the past' refer to the terrible contracts we handed out. Long expensive deals, with little or no relegation wage drops meant that players like RvW, Naismith, Oliveira etc consistently crippled the club over 4 years.

The current regime have made mistakes and will make more mistakes with recruitment. I have mentioned on other threads I am not entirely satisfied with our business, but one thing I am 100% confident in - is that we will not give out contracts that will risk the club in the next 4 years.

Alex Neil bought badly.  Tony Androu looked like a payoff and Naismith was a scandal. 

We failed to do summer business in our previous EPL outings and overpaid in January. 

We were also a vital cog short.  For the sake of a nail the war was lost and this is why people are fretting over a DCM this time. 

We overloaded on No. 10's and midfielders in general whilst ignoring balance and SW had to work hard to redress the squad balance. 

Then the training ground and extra capacity which could have been paid for between 2014 and 2017 instead of a number of players who contributed nothing. 

Did anyone really think the net spend would be this nominal with 6 days to go before kick off ? 

Norwich definitely have some quality to go into the season but I hope we’re not relegated by a just a few points because the board were over cautious. 

20 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

So where did the transfers of the Murphys, Brady, Redmond go? Also, parachute payments and prem money 

If you want to know where the money from those sales went have a look at the accounts. If it helps we spent it on wages. In the last 2 seasons we were in the Premier League we spent more on wages alone than we brought in from tv and gate money. In our first season back in the Championship we carried on paying ridiculous wages in the hope that we went straight back up. There is nothing hidden and no one had their hand in the till. 

It's not hard to see why the club is a little more cautious this time round. If the Maddison injury on the last day of the season had been more serious we would have had huge problems 

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Did anyone really think the net spend would be this nominal with 6 days to go before kick off ? 

Norwich definitely have some quality to go into the season but I hope we’re not relegated by a just a few points because the board were over cautious. 

To be honest no.

Everyone knew we wouldn’t be splashing out Villa style but I think we’re being a little TOO cautious. If we make a bad don’t remember  start, which is traditional for Norwich, I hope the knives don’t come out to soon. With Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City in the first five games there’s a fair chance we’ll be at or near the bottom after those games but any of the promoted teams will do well not get a single point from that lot.

On the plus side I don’t remember Paul Lambert spending huge amounts so maybe we’ll be OK.

Hasn’t it recently been reported that we made a final substantial payment to Naismith and we had to give some extra to Everton? I would think that this is what he meant.

The major assets at the club will be worth so much more if we stay up . Relegation will equate to failure and most of the obvious talent will be gone sharpish . 

54 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I can’t imagine anyone thought we would spend this little. I was expecting 2/3 transfers totalling £15/£20 million. That said I still like the look of the squad and we still have time to add one or two more 

7 minutes ago, JF said:

I can’t imagine anyone thought we would spend this little. I was expecting 2/3 transfers totalling £15/£20 million. That said I still like the look of the squad and we still have time to add one or two more 

Completely agree. You just get that feeling the club are planning for the 20/21 season and crossing their fingers it’s in this division. 

It's weird because if we'd spent 20m on Pukki, Godfrey and Buendia every one would be happy like the summer we bought RVW, Hooper, Fer etc.

In no part of life can I get blinded by money. However I do go to the bank every Friday, draw out my money, count it and put it back. Just to be sure they're not cheating me....

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's weird because if we'd spent 20m on Pukki, Godfrey and Buendia every one would be happy like the summer we bought RVW, Hooper, Fer etc.

In no part of life can I get blinded by money. However I do go to the bank every Friday, draw out my money, count it and put it back. Just to be sure they're not cheating me....

Don’t really understand that analogy. The 3 mentioned players were instrumental in getting promotion last season . 

With that school of thought no team would pay for additional players if they were successful the previous season . 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t really understand that analogy. The 3 mentioned players were instrumental in getting promotion last season . 

With that school of thought no team would pay for additional players if they were successful the previous season . 

That is not the point though. What folk are saying is that our chances have f all to do with who's wearing the shirt. Just how much they cost.

We could prob get a back up player for a few million but for us to spend like that the player would have to be better than we have. Spending on youngsters is surely the way forward.

Cantwell's the best player on the park today BTW.

If today’s performance and players is paying for the sins of the past, then great! We’ve paid in full with a fantastic return in players, coaching, set up and bright future.......dark times have lead to a very positive place.

I agree nutty, had we signed these players for the premier league everyone would be more confident and saying great business. Maybe we built a premier league team last summer. Mind you still think we will concede to many goals to stay up, but we will be well placed to bounce back if that happens

5 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

The previous regime had a pretty attrocious recruitment record.

Transfer fee wise - I actually do not think we have ever really overspent in the premier league. While fees for players like RvW, Naismith, Klose etc were significant, they were within our means as a premier league club. 

In my opinion, these 'sins of the past' refer to the terrible contracts we handed out. Long expensive deals, with little or no relegation wage drops meant that players like RvW, Naismith, Oliveira etc consistently crippled the club over 4 years.

The current regime have made mistakes and will make more mistakes with recruitment. I have mentioned on other threads I am not entirely satisfied with our business, but one thing I am 100% confident in - is that we will not give out contracts that will risk the club in the next 4 years.

The recruitment under Hughton actually wasn't that bad in terms of finance- Redmond, Olsson and Fer were all sold for a decent profits and we were at least able to send RVW out on loan and shift some of his wages every season until we sold him. 

The real disasters were under Neil but we know all about that. The idea they are still holding us back now doesn't really hold much water though- all of those players have now gone and we remain debt free so it isn't like we're still paying those off.

But there are quite a few we’ve just finished paying off such as Naismith and if it hadn’t been for those , we’d have that money free to spend now... it seems pretty straightforward to me.

we have finally cleared everything out, which is only sensible now we have the Prem money. But the money that has gone there can’t be spent on signings this summer.

7 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Alex Neil bought badly.  Tony Androu looked like a payoff and Naismith was a scandal. 

We failed to do summer business in our previous EPL outings and overpaid in January. 

We were also a vital cog short.  For the sake of a nail the war was lost and this is why people are fretting over a DCM this time. 

We overloaded on No. 10's and midfielders in general whilst ignoring balance and SW had to work hard to redress the squad balance. 

Then the training ground and extra capacity which could have been paid for between 2014 and 2017 instead of a number of players who contributed nothing. 

Not all the summers, but the summer of 2015 certainly. It was the misguided - I would say naive, and I never thought McNally was naive but  -  policy of that window, the failed gamble on a big upgrade in central defence rather than settling for a sure-thing lesser upgrade, that had its knock-on effect in the following January window. That said, I have rarely seen such a positive consensus here (which included me) over the signing of Naismith.

9 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Farke reckons we are still paying for sins of the past. I wonder who he is pointing the finger at with this statement ?

Not at me I hope.

Anyway I'm too old to remember the past.

I think perhaps we're lucky to be paying for the sins of the past. But when the account's settled will we start sinning again?

Confession is good for the soul...