Yellowhammer

Result v Liverpool

The bookies odds against us winning of 20/1 and a draw 8/1 are the harsh statistical reality of this tie.

But who needs reality when you are living the dream? We were nowhere near favourites to come up last year and we won the league. 

My guess is that if Stuart Webber told the team he was charging them £5k a head to be on the team sheet against the European Champions then there wouldn’t be one man among them who’d refuse. 

Plus we’ve got a goal or two in us. If Farke can keep the level of hunger in the side at 11 out of 10 and temper that with calm decision making such that players don’t get overawed by the occasion then Liverpool will know they have been in a game. 

The result will be whatever it will be but as a fan I’m looking for our team to be greater than the sum of its parts and for a performance that we can be proud of. Both of these aims are well within our capabilities.

As for the bookies? Sometimes they forget that the ball is round. You only have to look at the stats for the Brentford v Birmingham game for proof of that.

Edited by Bonzo
  • Like 1

I like to think we will surprise some TV viewers, but I can't get over how brittle our defending still is. Our problem now is through the middle where Trybull can't stop the tide on his own and we don't have anyone else fit to play there with him who is any good as a defensive midfielder. McLean is our best option but Atalanta showed how ineffective he is in that space. I really thought that Webber/Farke would have solved that, but without Tettey there (or someone better) we are going to lose a lot of games.

I'm confident that we can stop them wide, but I don't think we can if they go central - which they surely will.

3-0 defeat I suspect. 

This is a wonderful time for Norwich to play Liverpool; post-European Champions blues, a tiring pre-season schedule & they're playing a competent team they're unfamiliar with. My hunch is 1-1.

I’m pleased we came through our last game before Liverpool unscathed, that was really important - hopefully nothing crops up during training this week. But Liverpool have got a competitive match today, and whereas I wouldn’t wish injury on a player, a slight strain here or there on your Van Dijks etc, or suspensions, well I wouldn’t complain ; )

• Like 1

Have a sneaky feeling we'll be underestimated and all the euphoria of Champions League winners will distract them.      We'll get 0-2 ahead and hold out when they bombard us in desperation.    1-2 OTBC.....top of the league.   .....and Cantwell will dribble past Van Dijk.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Thanks 1

Not been impressed with Liverpool thus far. Granted they’re playing Man City, but I’ve seen enough to know that if Pukki, Buendia, Hernandez etc are at the races, we can cause them some serious problems. Key for me is Trybull having a MOTM performance.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Where can I get 20/1? Will have a bit of that. 

Unibet

I agree with this. What I noticed against Atalanta and Tolouse is that we can be  very very good in and keeping possession. If they haven't got the ball they can't hurt you!

Nothing to fear, everything to gain. I'm hoping for a very rude shock for all the pundits.

OTBC

Missed the quote..ref Aex Moss

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I agree with this. What I noticed against Atalanta and Tolouse is that we can be  very very good in and keeping possession. If they haven't got the ball they can't hurt you!

I agree. The issue will be how much Liverpool want it enough to get the ball back.  Last season they were fired up all season and excellent at getting the ball back off opponents (we are too, of course) but if they are not totally on it and we are, it could be very interesting!

Saw this stat after today's Community Shield. Be great if Emi or Onel can make it two for two and set up a Pukki winner in front of the Kop.

Well a boy can dream can't he?

image.png.87eac96cbe8530054bbc737bb5633f35.png

51 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If you’re wondering how the Liverpool fans are expecting this to go, you probably won’t be too surprised...

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/401878-Liverpool-vs-Norwich-City-Friday-9-August-(8pm)-Premier-League-Opener

LOL yes unsurprising, would we feel differently if things were reversed ? 

My favourite comment though is "We'll batter them 0-0..."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

LOL yes unsurprising, would we feel differently if things were reversed ? 

My favourite comment though is "We'll batter them 0-0..."

According to one poster there ‘Norwich won’t score against us, no chance’. Silly boy, or girl. Whereas we all know that the likely outcome is a Liverpool win by a few goals, to suggest we can’t even score against them is utterly ridiculous and totally arrogant. I will be very surprised if we DON’T score against them to be honest. Lots of space behind their fullbacks, Hernandez and Buendia could be in for a field day. Mind you, that same poster has probably forgotten that the likes of free scoring Fulham, Palace, Burnley, and Cardiff all managed to find the net against their impenetrable side last season. I don’t expect us to win, but I will be highly surprised if we don’t catch them on the counter at some point in the game. They’re not the only team with an excellent German manager, as some of their more big headed supporters will discover come Friday night.

This should be a formality.

They drop barely any points at home, their attack is right up there with the best up against a newly promoted club with a porous defence who are taking a huge step up in class.

Head says at least a three goal reverse but we've drawn our last two there so heart's going for an unlikely 1-1.

If we concede early then I fear for us. I don't think Liverpool themselves will be arrogant and see the match as a formality, no matter what the fans think. Given how porous our defence was at times last season, to limit that attacking unit to two goals over 90 minutes would be some achievement.

Like many others I fancy us to make a few chances and put at least one away, so I'll go for 4-2 to Liverpool.

1st Game of the season a lot of Nerves anything can Happen , i think this is the best time to play them before they settle and go on a run and build confidence .

i think we might surprise them score around the 20 min mark ,

Then do they have the quality to come back yes of course they do but as long as we make them work and earn any points then i am happy,

They are not in the Mini League we will be hoping gain points from so anything is a Bonus from teams like this 

I don't want to be defeatist but there really is quite a good chance that we will lose this by a few goals and as hard as that is to take we mustn't get too deflated if we do. They beat West Ham 4-0 at home first game last season and they were an established premier league club.

I hope and believe that we will give a good account of ourselves and do not give up hope that we can get something from the game but with Amadou not involved, how open we can be at times and the pressing game Liverpool play (plus our tendancy to make mistakes trying to play it out from the back) this could come as a something of a shock for the boys first up. If the worst happens then we should not be too downhearted. this is probably in the top 3 most difficult games we will face and we are going to get a beating occasionally. 

I agree Jim, last season they had W17 D2 at home so this is arguably the hardest away fixture of the season.

I'm never one to be that optimistic before games, here I think we’ll probably lose but we could just spring a bit of a surprise 😯

3 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Delia fails to learn any of the lessons of previous EPL campaigns.

Thus, Liverpool 8, Norwich City 0.

Seek help. You're unhinged.

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

Delia fails to learn any of the lessons of previous EPL campaigns.

Thus, Liverpool 8, Norwich City 0.

Fukc off Vince....in the nicest possible way👍