Yellowhammer

Result v Liverpool

6 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Rather us get tonked 4-0 and 'have a go' than pick up a scrappy 1-1 draw and not touch ball for 90mins.

The lads should go into this game the same as they went into every game last season.

...ok...a double and treble take

you'd rather us get beat 4-0 than draw 1-1??

....is about as ridiculous thing as I've heard.

If we could dig in and grind out an ugly 1-1 against a side as potent as them , I'd be delighted and might go some way to address many peoples fears that we can defend and dig out a result.

Not all 38 games are going to be the same this season, surely you can see that?....the way you play away at Liverpool may not be the way to play vs Sheff Utd, Brighton or Newcastle.

I've seen us on the wrong end of many a hiding at Anfield , I'd just like us to play the way that gives us the best chance of getting some sort of result.....and I'd rather that not be one that sees us on the wrong end of a 4-0 defeat if another way might get us a 1-1 draw

• Like 5

If they play like they did at the leeds away game then with the assistance of VAR (who will be a friend to us this season overall), I believe we could scrape a draw, or provide a scintillating display and great result.

If more like Forest at home after the lights came back on then just run for cover...…….

They have the ability to deliver to us our first serious spanking. Something hoped by MOTD and other biased based reporters out there. However, despite the fixture list which threw up this 'random' match as the first of the season for the European champions to mount their challenge against a much weaker team, it may just go our way.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm sorry, but that's bonkers. Would you be ashamed to play defensively in a 1-1 draw away to Liverpool?

Ashamed's a strong word, but disappointed.

The Premier League isn't the be all and end all for me - if we go back down, we go back down, as long as we try and do it the right way, that's fine with me.

Id be proud as punch with a draw earnt the right way on Friday.

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...ok...a double and treble take

you'd rather us get beat 4-0 than draw 1-1??

....is about as ridiculous thing as I've heard.

If we could dig in and grind out an ugly 1-1 against a side as potent as them , I'd be delighted and might go some way to address many peoples fears that we can defend and dig out a result.

Not all 38 games are going to be the same this season, surely you can see that?....the way you play away at Liverpool may not be the way to play vs Sheff Utd, Brighton or Newcastle.

I've seen us on the wrong end of many a hiding at Anfield , I'd just like us to play the way that gives us the best chance of getting some sort of result.....and I'd rather that not be one that sees us on the wrong end of a 4-0 defeat if another way might get us a 1-1 draw

It will be if you don't read the rest of the sentence.

7 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

The Premier League isn't the be all and end all for me - if we go back down, we go back down, as long as we try and do it the right way, that's fine with me.

It’s irrelevant what the league is, no team goes a whole season earning their points ‘the right way’ even Man City and Liverpool will earn scrappy points throughout the season. We can play like 1970 Brazil against the leagues so called lesser teams

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

So you'd be 'disappointed' with a scrappy 1-1 draw away to Liverpool? A team who only failed to win twice at home in the league last season and haven't lost at home for the best part of two-and-a-half years?

I'm not sure whether this is arrogant or just a result of unrealistic expectations, because any team in the world going away to Anfield should be happy with a scrappy draw, never mind a newly-promoted team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So you'd be 'disappointed' with a scrappy 1-1 draw away to Liverpool? A team who only failed to win twice at home in the league last season and haven't lost at home for the best part of two-and-a-half years?

I'm not sure whether this is arrogant or just a result of unrealistic expectations, because any team in the world going away to Anfield should be happy with a scrappy draw, never mind a newly-promoted team.

Indeed.....if only Barcelona went for a scrappy draw....and we wouldnt have to be suffering the scousers 'six times' boasts.

......but at least they lost 4-0 and went out of the champions league playing "their way"

K'in hell,

Rather us get tonked 4-0 and 'have a go' than pick up a scrappy 1-1 draw and not touch ball for 90mins.

Some key words in that sentence.

At no point have a suggested that we will or should get a draw,

I said I'd rather we get tonked trying to win the game and being positive, than putting 11 men behind the ball and hoping they don't score.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

K'in hell,

I said I'd rather we get tonked trying to win the game and being positive, than putting 11 men behind the ball and hoping they don't score.

Saying that you'd be 'disappointed' with a scrappy draw away against the European champions is a result of arrogance or unrealistic expectations. Who do you think we are? Manchester City? Even they wouldn't be disappointed with a scrappy 1-1 draw at Anfield, I'm sure.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

4 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

K'in hell,

...some key words in that sentence....and just about all of them ludicrous

Saying that you'd be 'disappointed' with a scrappy draw away against the European champions is a result of arrogance or unrealistic expectations. Who do you think we are? Manchester City? Even they wouldn't be disappointed with a scrappy 1-1 draw at Anfield, I'm sure.

Think we're going round in circles now, have a good afternoon.

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Indeed.....if only Barcelona went for a scrappy draw....and we wouldnt have to be suffering the scousers 'six times' boasts.

......but at least they lost 4-0 and went out of the champions league playing "their way"

And they avoided being disappointed. 

• Haha 1

There is some unwarranted negativity on here.

First we are a Premier League club by merit.  We belong here. So do our players!

Yes Liverpool are a formidable side - every other EPL club including the likes of Man City might fear a tonking if they are not on their game. 

For Sky -  it a brilliant choice of game - yes they 'expect' lots of goals (sadly in our net) BUT they'd be even happier if we surprise everybody and scare Liverpool. For Sky it's a win-win.

So play as we know we can, where we belong, and enjoy the ride. Still fancy City 2:1 ! 

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Thanks 1

Just think Leeds away. Leeds all guns blazing and on top for large parts of the game but wasteful in front of goal. Norwich classy on the ball, take the chances they get and see the match out. Simples. 2-1 or 3-2 to us.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just think Leeds away. Leeds all guns blazing and on top for large parts of the game but wasteful in front of goal. Norwich classy on the ball, take the chances they get and see the match out. Simples. 2-1 or 3-2 to us.

Leeds had Roofe, Roberts and Bamford. Liverpool have Salah, Mane and Firmino.

10 hours ago, Van wink said:

Had to put a small one on our lads at 20-1

I haven’t bet on anything for many years and wasn’t exactly a compulsive gambler when I did, so maybe I am not grasping this. Are you saying the odds on us winning are 20 to 1? That’s ridiculous. We are the Championship winners, not a team from League 2 in the cup. At those odds I’m tempted too.

2.0 City. It's there for the taking. Liverpool will have the mindset of an easy opening game. I genuinely believe City will catch them cold. 

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine just said " 4 "  I'm inclined to believe that's the right number of goals, but can we deliver another Leeds-style performance?  What a shock that would be if we did. But back to reality, I think it'll be 3-1 to Liverpool. 

2 hours ago, City fan said:

2.0 City. It's there for the taking. Liverpool will have the mindset of an easy opening game. I genuinely believe City will catch them cold. 

This is exactly what I think. Opening games can be a bit random and Liverpool had a tough end to their season and we have some momentum.

Plus I had a strange dream just before the fixtures came out that our opening game was at Anfield and we won 2-0. Maybe wishful thinking, but I’ve put a couple of quid on it just in case. 😉😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, City fan said:

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Salah, Mane and Firmino on the bench.

At 20s it may be worth trading that on the exchanges. If we were to take the lead the price would drop significantly and that could be layed for guaranteed profit. Also if we were to keep Liverpool out for 30 or so minutes whilst performing well ourselves that price should drop. And  if Liverpool were to announce a weakened team it should drop. I wouldn’t risk too much on it though! 

Edited by JF

I see Klopp is complaining that the game should be played on the Sunday and not the Friday night because their season finished later than others.

I really like the guy actually, but c’mon, 36 bloody hours?!?! Are you being serious? How the hell will that make any difference?! I know he’s renowned for his extraordinary excuses but...

Anyway, we’re just little old Norwich so surely JK isn’t bothered about having to play us so soon after the end of the season, we’re a walk in the park and cannon fodder for the rest of the Premier League doesn’t he know?